Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: J.G.] #7244564 08/04/18 12:14 AM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Yes, look at that second part a magazine feeds ammunition into a chamber.

Is there a difference in bison and buffalo? I've used them interchangeably.

Is there a difference in pronghorn and antelope? I've called them pronghorn antelope, also speed goat.

Yep that second part is defining a clip as a magazine, kinda the same thing, although i agree that one is more correct than the other.

Also buffalo/bison are not the same thing and neither is an antelope/pronghorn and anyone who says they are should be immediately belittled and told they are not using the right terminology. Haha

My point to all this is that people take common terminology and themselves way too seriously

Have a good one

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244573 08/04/18 12:23 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
An army buddy he was a heavy equipment operator dozers and stuff recently posted a pic of an AR10 and called the magazine a clip. Dude was an E7 in the Army when he was medically retired but doesn’t know the difference between a clip and a magazine realmad

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: RJH1] #7244576 08/04/18 12:25 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RJH1

Is there a difference in pronghorn and antelope? I've called them pronghorn antelope, also speed goat.

Yep that second part is defining a clip as a magazine, kinda the same thing, although i agree that one is more correct than the other.

Also buffalo/bison are not the same thing and neither is an antelope/pronghorn and anyone who says they are should be immediately belittled and told they are not using the right terminology. Haha

My point to all this is that people take common terminology and themselves way too seriously

Have a good one

Can you elaborate on the difference in buffalo and bison, and the difference in antelope and pronghorn?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: SapperTitan] #7244577 08/04/18 12:26 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
An army buddy he was a heavy equipment operator dozers and stuff recently posted a pic of an AR10 and called the magazine a clip. Dude was an E7 in the Army when he was medically retired but doesn’t know the difference between a clip and a magazine realmad

I would not bet my lunch money, his peers didn't give him a rash of [censored].

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244582 08/04/18 12:29 AM
H
Hook-Em Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
H
My Dad was a WWII vet and always called them clips. Some where in the time line it has changed!

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: J.G.] #7244586 08/04/18 12:37 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Have a good one

Can you elaborate on the difference in buffalo and bison, and the difference in antelope and pronghorn?

Has Google broken, again?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/32115-bison-vs-buffalo-whats-the-difference.html

I’m short, pronghorn are not antelope and the American Bison is not a buffalo.

Last edited by Tactical Cowboy; 08/04/18 12:45 AM.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7244619 08/04/18 01:02 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Have a good one

Has Google broken, again?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/32115-bison-vs-buffalo-whats-the-difference.html

I’m short, pronghorn are not antelope and the American Bison is not a buffalo.

No Google has not broken. I wanted his take.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244624 08/04/18 01:08 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
If one uses pronghorn/antelope and buffalo/bison interchangeably-one is wrong.

A lot of people do and everyone still knows what they are talking about around the campfire in the context in which they are used.

Now, insert the words magazine/clip in the first sentence in place of pronghorn/antelope or buffalo/bison, read the two sentences over - and you will have the point of the discussion.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: J.G.] #7244642 08/04/18 01:21 AM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R

Short version; Bison and pronghorn are native to North america and not related to any of the buffalo or antelope species in Africa/Asia. They were called buffalo/antelope because the early settlers/pioneers called them what they looked like in the old world. Same reason what we call a prairie is not a prairie but is actually a steppe, there were no French words for steppe so the they called them prairies which in France is basically a meadow, but now we use the word prairie even though it is technically not correct.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7244643 08/04/18 01:22 AM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
If one uses pronghorn/antelope and buffalo/bison interchangeably-one is wrong.

A lot of people do and everyone still knows what they are talking about around the campfire in the context in which they are used.

Now, insert the words magazine/clip in the first sentence in place of pronghorn/antelope or buffalo/bison, read the two sentences over - and you will have the point of the discussion.

100 percent

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: RJH1] #7244696 08/04/18 02:13 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Short version; Bison and pronghorn are native to North america and not related to any of the buffalo or antelope species in Africa/Asia. They were called buffalo/antelope because the early settlers/pioneers called them what they looked like in the old world. Same reason what we call a prairie is not a prairie but is actually a steppe, there were no French words for steppe so the they called them prairies which in France is basically a meadow, but now we use the word prairie even though it is technically not correct.

Good to know, thank you. I accept that information.

Why is it so difficult for some to accept a magazine is a magazine and a clip is a clip? Once again, clips have been used in very few firearms made in the last 100 years. Out of 30 firearms I own, none use a clip, most have magazines, some are single shot. My stepson has one that uses a clip though. It is an M-1 Garand.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244706 08/04/18 02:19 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Oh, give me a home
Where the buffalo roam,
and the deer and the antelope play.

Why get wrapped around the axle about any of that? I think it's all technically incorrect, isn't it?

I don't know why anyone would feel obligated to cloud up and rain on someone for saying he wanted to buy an extra 10-round clip for his 10-22. Some language might be more technically correct than what you hear someone using, but the entire point of words and language is to convey ideas. If the guy says "10-round clip for my 10-22" and you get all bent out of shape about it, it's clear that you know exactly what was meant...it then appears you're just looking for something to use as a club.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: J.G.] #7244720 08/04/18 02:31 AM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R

Good to know, thank you. I accept that information.

Why is it so difficult for some to accept a magazine is a magazine and a clip is a clip? Once again, clips have been used in very few firearms made in the last 100 years. Out of 30 firearms I own, none use a clip, most have magazines, some are single shot. My stepson has one that uses a clip though. It is an M-1 Garand.

It works the same as the buffalo/antelope example. Guns with clips were around in the 1890s (maybe earlier), and then in the early 1900s detachable box mags(DBM) came out but in a much smaller scale (as in mainly pistols). Then most guns with, lets call them quick feed devices, until after ww2 were clip fed rifles and some pistols. so for 60 years most guns that most people had access to were rifles with clips, a DBM in the eyes of most people does about the same as a clip, especially when compared to a garand. So the term clip stuck and only since the internet was invented has anyone cared

My years may be a little off, but the jist is correct

Last edited by RJH1; 08/04/18 02:34 AM.
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: RiverRider] #7244721 08/04/18 02:32 AM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Oh, give me a home
Where the buffalo roam,

Why get wrapped around the axle about any of that? I think it's all technically incorrect, isn't it?

I don't know why anyone would feel obligated to cloud up and rain on someone for saying he wanted to buy an extra 10-round clip for his 10-22. Some language might be more technically correct than what you hear someone using, but the entire point of words and language is to convey ideas. If the guy says "10-round clip for my 10-22" and you get all bent out of shape about it, it's clear that you know exactly what was meant...it then appears you're just looking for something to use as a club.

Exactly, and IMO buffalo and antelope is fine too :-)

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: RiverRider] #7244723 08/04/18 02:37 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Oh, give me a home
Where the buffalo roam,

Yep.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: RJH1] #7244746 08/04/18 02:55 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
No point in going around in a circle about this. All done, here.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: RJH1] #7244760 08/04/18 03:07 AM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
So the term clip stuck and only since the internet was invented has anyone cared

Ask some Marines if the internet made them care about clips vs mags...or maybe that was just specific DIs that beat it into heads

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: RJH1] #7245055 08/04/18 03:07 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Same reason what we call a prairie is not a prairie but is actually a steppe, there were no French words for steppe so the they called them prairies which in France is basically a meadow, but now we use the word prairie even though it is technically not correct.

I think meadow is incorrect, pasture is the word you are looking for. I trust you will do the 20 push ups without supervision. lizard

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: MO] #7245191 08/04/18 05:29 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

That is the thread that made me start this thread. Notice I was a good boy and did not make a smart ### comment on there.

The term has been so misused, that Webster's has even changed the definition. sad.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7245275 08/04/18 07:31 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We all use words that don’t actually fit the precise meaning. For instance, is your ex-wife or GF really a female dog?

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7245310 08/04/18 08:15 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I think some may profuse apologies to the Canids of the world.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7245323 08/04/18 08:39 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I called a tranny a boy once it got mad and said its a girl. I bet if a magazine could talk and you called it a clip it would get mad and say its a magazine.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7245348 08/04/18 08:58 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
So would a coyote if you called him a dog. I am careful not to do that.
I never heard clips referred as magazines until Al Gore invented inter web.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7245366 08/04/18 09:25 PM
T
Teal28 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Mag or Clip
I feel the same about wheels and rims.
Rims go on bikes wheels go on cars and trucks.

People miss use words all the time. I pick up on it but only call out people who annoy me. roflmao

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: garyrapp55] #7245413 08/04/18 10:12 PM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
Same reason what we call a prairie is not a prairie but is actually a steppe, there were no French words for steppe so the they called them prairies which in France is basically a meadow, but now we use the word prairie even though it is technically not correct.

I think meadow is incorrect, pasture is the word you are looking for. I trust you will do the 20 push ups without supervision. lizard

I will that trust you are right, off to do my pushups :-)

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide