Texas Hunting Forum

Magazine vs. Clip

Posted By: unclebubba

Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 06:11 PM

It drives me absolutely bat $%!# crazy every time someone refers to a Magazine as a clip. It's even worse when it is someone that should know better. I have gotten to the point that I just bite my tongue sometimes instead of telling the offender what a censored, censored, censored, censored, censored piece of censored censored he is. Am I alone on this? or?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 06:14 PM

Can't vote, the option wasn't there.

Someone throws the "clip" word out, and not talking about a Garand, and I'll interject "magazine". But I don't make a fuss about it.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 06:19 PM

Lighten up francis...life is too short to worry about other peoples ignorance.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 06:22 PM

This is what I look like when someone says it.

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 06:31 PM

Yes, the minute someone calls a magazine a clip, I deduct multiple points from the credibility. I don't care who you are.

Judd or Jeff will be along shortly to tell you my other major peeve.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 06:37 PM

TV and Movie people are the biggest offenders when it comes to firearms knowledge. I’ve seen two movies in the last couple of months where the star was focusing his rifle using the windage turret. Oh yeah, the clip faux pas happened in one of them. P_102
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 06:45 PM

I think if that's all a guy has to worry about he needs to get a life. Clip, mag......who gives a #%&)#W$ ?????
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 06:46 PM

I know the difference and have for a long time. We grew up calling magazines “clips”. If I’m around my buddies that still do, I may do the same. I certainly don’t go around correcting folks about it. I know what they are talking about.

Same situation with a lot of words (buffalo/bison, antelope/pronghorn, etc.). Not a big deal.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 06:48 PM

Why would anyone get upset over a word? Doesn't make sense to me.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I know the difference and have for a long time. We grew up calling magazines “clips”. If I’m around my buddies that still do, I may do the same. I certainly don’t go around correcting folks about it. I know what they are talking about.

Same situation with a lot of words (buffalo/bison, antelope/pronghorn, etc.). Not a big deal.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 06:56 PM

Yelp, the famous Hornady ballistic tip! Them dang diddly bullets are the dogs meow!

In the shooting world, there are many wrong words that shooters use. I see it all the time. Wrong words lead to incorrect information in a conversation. Just the other day a guy was talking about a muzzle brake. But what he was really talking about in his mind was a suppressor. It took me several minutes to figure out the difference, and lots of wasted discussion.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Yelp, the famous Hornady ballistic tip! Them dang diddly bullets are the dogs meow!

smile I took down the post as there were too many other good guesses, but knew that was a favorite. roflmao

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 07:07 PM

Banana clip let Chiquita speak
Posted By: RJH1

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 07:12 PM

I figure if someone buys a gun they can call it what they want.

Also what about the Savage 99C, Can anyone guess what that C stands for?

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: RJH1

So a guy buys a Glock 17, takes it to use at a WWII reenactment, and calls it a 1911. That's Ok?

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

So a guy buys a Glock 17, takes it to use at a WWII reenactment, and calls it a 1911. That's Ok?

So a guy goes on a bison hunt and calls it a buffalo, is that ok? And i guess it would only really matter to the guy putting on the WW2 reenactment, if he said that glock is close enough to a 1911, it is fine with me. Also just about every WW2 vet and most Korea and Vietnam vets i know calls them clips, you gonna correct them, I ain't. But nice straw man argument

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 07:40 PM

So a guy goes on a bison hunt and calls it a buffalo, is that ok? And i guess it would only really matter to the guy putting on the WW2 reenactment, if he said that glock is close enough to a 1911, it is fine with me. Also just about every WW2 vet and most Korea and Vietnam vets i know calls them clips, you gonna correct them, I ain't. But nice straw man argument

Garands actually did use clips.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 07:40 PM

He calls it a clip, and he's good enough, smart enough and by golly people like him. I don't care enough to correct him, I know what he means.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson
He calls it a clip, and he's good enough, smart enough and by golly people like him. I don't care enough to correct him, I know what he means.

Ecaxtly

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 07:51 PM

And, no, I don't actually cuss people out, but it bothers me WAY more than it should. People usually get a simple correction...sometimes, a smart alec remark. Maybe I should just quit work early, and go have a beer. smile
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 07:53 PM

What do y’all think about them 7.3 Ford motors?

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Wish they still put them in F250's.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird

Garands actually did use clips.

Seems like I've already said that. But words are hard for some people and they resort to insults.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 08:03 PM

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 08:06 PM

Seems like I've already said that. But words are hard for some people and they resort to insults.

Where is the insult?

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 08:06 PM

FJG,

yes you did.

fyi - this is a true clip of ammo being loaded into a M1 Garand, the primary rifle issued to US, and Allied soldiers in WW2, and which was used in Korea and even to some degree in Vietnam. The clip holds the cartridges together as they are pushed down into the internal magazine. Other older rifles also used clips in various forms.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 08:13 PM

There are also clips that help you load your magazine...

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 08:13 PM

Yep, another example.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 08:14 PM

Clip vs magazine, buzzard vs vulture, catsup vs ketchup. It really seems to matter to some folks - OCD folks perhaps. I suppose I’ll have to give some thought to whatever like that irritates me.
Posted By: glb1955

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 08:18 PM

Any officer that was attending a course that I taught that called a magazine a clip did pushups. They were told the difference right up front and it went from there. We had a bunch of fun with it.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
Clip vs magazine, buzzard vs vulture, catsup vs ketchup. It really seems to matter to some folks - OCD folks perhaps. I suppose I’ll have to give some thought to whatever like that irritates me.

But Buzzard and vulture, catsup and ketchup, if looked up in the dictionary, have the exact same meaning. Clip and magazine do not! That's my point!

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 08:21 PM

A lot of WWII, Korean War, and Vietnam vets I grew up with called magazines “clips”. Many of those I know today still do.

I suspect not all of them used the M1 Garand exclusively-many almost certainly used one of the many magazine-fed rifles used in those wars. I know they used the 1911 pistol. No matter, many of them call magazines “clips” - on their deer rifles to their 1911s and so on.

Do they know the difference? I don’t know, maybe some do and some don’t. But I’m pretty sure they know their way around a weapon. I’m not going to correct them.
Posted By: MO

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 08:36 PM

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...TIC_RIFW#UNREAD

MO
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 08:39 PM

Is my Echo a weed eater or a trimmer? I call it a weed eater.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 08:39 PM

Heads are about to explode.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 08:43 PM

Where is the insult?

"Straw man argument".

I never have, and never will be a straw man. It is illegal to purchase a firearm for a felon.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: unclebubba

But Buzzard and vulture, catsup and ketchup, if looked up in the dictionary, have the exact same meaning. Clip and magazine do not! That's my point!

Right.
Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 08:54 PM

Where is the insult?

"Straw man argument".

I never have, and never will be a straw man. It is illegal to purchase a firearm for a felon.

Here is another example of why words matter. Fireman, you may not know this but there is a term called a "straw-man argument" that happens to be a very prevalent thing on the internet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Unlike the magazine vs. clip argument, this is a case where the same word means two different things, at least to someone familiar with guns. I don't believe he was accusing you of illegally buying weapons, he was referring to his belief that you were attacking an opinion/position that he didn't have. BTW, his use of the term is incorrect in my opinion. Your statement was in direct response to what he posted, so therefore not a "straw-man".

As for the argument at hand, words matter. When we have an entire group of people who are trying to ban guns and use incorrect terms to further their agendas, we, as a community, ridicule them. We need to make sure that we are educating everyone as to the correct terms so that we can all be speaking the same language when having discussions or stating our positions (see the "muzzle break" example cited above). That is why it matters to call magazine a magazine and a clip a clip. To me it is the same thing as making sure that modern sporting rifles and true assault rifles are not used interchangeably.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 08:57 PM

I'm glad there are two words, so that when they ban all high-cap magazines, i'll still have a bunch of 30-rd clips.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 09:04 PM

I only worry about what's in the bore and ready to fire. Anything that holds ammunition, albeit a magazine or clip, is secondary.

But as a general rule, if it can be detached from the firearm like the original military clips then I call it a clip. If it's non-detachable and a permanent part of the firearm then I'll call it a magazine.
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: unclebubba

Just food for thought, but here's what Merriam-Webster says:

Definition of clip
1 : any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
2 : a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
3 : a piece of jewelry held in position by a clip
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 09:14 PM

Who cares
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 09:23 PM

Anyone who really cares is a most likely a nerd anyway

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: HandgunHTR

Here is another example of why words matter. Fireman, you may not know this but there is a term called a "straw-man argument" that happens to be a very prevalent thing on the internet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Unlike the magazine vs. clip argument, this is a case where the same word means two different things, at least to someone familiar with guns. I don't believe he was accusing you of illegally buying weapons, he was referring to his belief that you were attacking an opinion/position that he didn't have. BTW, his use of the term is incorrect in my opinion. Your statement was in direct response to what he posted, so therefore not a "straw-man".

As for the argument at hand, words matter. When we have an entire group of people who are trying to ban guns and use incorrect terms to further their agendas, we, as a community, ridicule them. We need to make sure that we are educating everyone as to the correct terms so that we can all be speaking the same language when having discussions or stating our positions (see the "muzzle break" example cited above). That is why it matters to call magazine a magazine and a clip a clip. To me it is the same thing as making sure that modern sporting rifles and true assault rifles are not used interchangeably.

A straw man argument is setting up a new argument that can be torn down, that doesn't actually have to do with the topic at hand i.e. that glocks weren't available in WW2 so magazines can't be called clips. Doesen't really make sense does it?. The idea is that it sounds related to the topic when it actually isn't.

It has nothing to do with gun purchases. So yes, it does seem that words can be hard for people.

A correct argument would be more along the lines of original definitions etc.

And whether you or I like it or not, common definitions is what matters to the general public, so clips/magazines, engines/motors, silencers/suppressors, buffalo/bison are all the same thing...

I looked and some of the 99c literature says clip magazine, so they have all their bases covered haha
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 10:07 PM

if this is the top of your worries, you are sick, go back 60yrs, .22lr clips

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 10:09 PM

Where is the insult?

"Straw man argument".

Educational, thank you.

And no, I did not have a "straw man" response. Mine was directly applicable to the discussion. There is no need in me repeating it.

As for this whole discussion, that response was my point. Why call a thing what it is not? Just because a group of people get it wrong, does not make one right for joining that group. It is just another person getting something wrong.

I write legal document, medical reports many times a month. And the incorrect term, or abbreviation could come back to bite me one day in court. So I appreciate people whom use the proper word to describe something.

Another that aggravates me is the question "is that aluminum or is it metal?" I know they mean is it aluminum or is it steel, but I answer "yes". And off we go.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 10:39 PM

Educational, thank you.

And no, I did not have a "straw man" response. Mine was directly applicable to the discussion. There is no need in me repeating it.

As for this whole discussion, that response was my point. Why call a thing what it is not? Just because a group of people get it wrong, does not make one right for joining that group. It is just another person getting something wrong.

I write legal document, medical reports many times a month. And the incorrect term, or abbreviation could come back to bite me one day in court. So I appreciate people whom use the proper word to describe something.

Another that aggravates me is the question "is that aluminum or is it metal?" I know they mean is it aluminum or is it steel, but I answer "yes". And off we go.

So you have never called an engine a motor, or a bison a buffalo, or a pronghorn an antelope, or like Joe Biden called custard, ice cream?

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/03/18 11:39 PM

Educational, thank you.

So you have never called an engine a motor, or a bison a buffalo, or a pronghorn an antelope, or like Joe Biden called custard, ice cream?

Diesel engine, electric motor, diesel motor, electric engine. Those are just preferences and mean the same things (I use the first set I listed).

A clip, and a magazine are two different things. A dictionary meaning for both was provided, previously.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 12:00 AM

Diesel engine, electric motor, diesel motor, electric engine. Those are just preferences and mean the same things (I use the first set I listed).

A clip, and a magazine are two different things. A dictionary meaning for both was provided, previously.

Posted above:

"Just food for thought, but here's what Merriam-Webster says:

Definition of clip
1 : any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
2 : a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
3 : a piece of jewelry held in position by a clip"

Notice the second half of number 2

Also i notice you didn't comment on the buffalo/bison or pronghorn/antelope part of the question. Am i to assume that you have never called a bison a buffalo?

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 12:04 AM

Yes, look at that second part a magazine feeds ammunition into a chamber.

Is there a difference in bison and buffalo? I've used them interchangeably.

Is there a difference in pronghorn and antelope? I've called them pronghorn antelope, also speed goat.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 12:14 AM

Is there a difference in pronghorn and antelope? I've called them pronghorn antelope, also speed goat.

Yep that second part is defining a clip as a magazine, kinda the same thing, although i agree that one is more correct than the other.

Also buffalo/bison are not the same thing and neither is an antelope/pronghorn and anyone who says they are should be immediately belittled and told they are not using the right terminology. Haha

My point to all this is that people take common terminology and themselves way too seriously

Have a good one
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 12:23 AM

An army buddy he was a heavy equipment operator dozers and stuff recently posted a pic of an AR10 and called the magazine a clip. Dude was an E7 in the Army when he was medically retired but doesn’t know the difference between a clip and a magazine realmad

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 12:25 AM

Yep that second part is defining a clip as a magazine, kinda the same thing, although i agree that one is more correct than the other.

Also buffalo/bison are not the same thing and neither is an antelope/pronghorn and anyone who says they are should be immediately belittled and told they are not using the right terminology. Haha

My point to all this is that people take common terminology and themselves way too seriously

Have a good one

Can you elaborate on the difference in buffalo and bison, and the difference in antelope and pronghorn?

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
An army buddy he was a heavy equipment operator dozers and stuff recently posted a pic of an AR10 and called the magazine a clip. Dude was an E7 in the Army when he was medically retired but doesn’t know the difference between a clip and a magazine realmad

I would not bet my lunch money, his peers didn't give him a rash of [censored].
Posted By: Hook-Em

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 12:29 AM

My Dad was a WWII vet and always called them clips. Some where in the time line it has changed!

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 12:37 AM

Have a good one

Can you elaborate on the difference in buffalo and bison, and the difference in antelope and pronghorn?

Has Google broken, again?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/32115-bison-vs-buffalo-whats-the-difference.html

I’m short, pronghorn are not antelope and the American Bison is not a buffalo.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 01:02 AM

Have a good one

Has Google broken, again?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/32115-bison-vs-buffalo-whats-the-difference.html

I’m short, pronghorn are not antelope and the American Bison is not a buffalo.

No Google has not broken. I wanted his take.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 01:08 AM

If one uses pronghorn/antelope and buffalo/bison interchangeably-one is wrong.

A lot of people do and everyone still knows what they are talking about around the campfire in the context in which they are used.

Now, insert the words magazine/clip in the first sentence in place of pronghorn/antelope or buffalo/bison, read the two sentences over - and you will have the point of the discussion.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 01:21 AM

Short version; Bison and pronghorn are native to North america and not related to any of the buffalo or antelope species in Africa/Asia. They were called buffalo/antelope because the early settlers/pioneers called them what they looked like in the old world. Same reason what we call a prairie is not a prairie but is actually a steppe, there were no French words for steppe so the they called them prairies which in France is basically a meadow, but now we use the word prairie even though it is technically not correct.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
If one uses pronghorn/antelope and buffalo/bison interchangeably-one is wrong.

A lot of people do and everyone still knows what they are talking about around the campfire in the context in which they are used.

Now, insert the words magazine/clip in the first sentence in place of pronghorn/antelope or buffalo/bison, read the two sentences over - and you will have the point of the discussion.

100 percent

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 02:13 AM

Short version; Bison and pronghorn are native to North america and not related to any of the buffalo or antelope species in Africa/Asia. They were called buffalo/antelope because the early settlers/pioneers called them what they looked like in the old world. Same reason what we call a prairie is not a prairie but is actually a steppe, there were no French words for steppe so the they called them prairies which in France is basically a meadow, but now we use the word prairie even though it is technically not correct.

Good to know, thank you. I accept that information.

Why is it so difficult for some to accept a magazine is a magazine and a clip is a clip? Once again, clips have been used in very few firearms made in the last 100 years. Out of 30 firearms I own, none use a clip, most have magazines, some are single shot. My stepson has one that uses a clip though. It is an M-1 Garand.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 02:19 AM

Oh, give me a home
Where the buffalo roam,
and the deer and the antelope play.

Why get wrapped around the axle about any of that? I think it's all technically incorrect, isn't it?

I don't know why anyone would feel obligated to cloud up and rain on someone for saying he wanted to buy an extra 10-round clip for his 10-22. Some language might be more technically correct than what you hear someone using, but the entire point of words and language is to convey ideas. If the guy says "10-round clip for my 10-22" and you get all bent out of shape about it, it's clear that you know exactly what was meant...it then appears you're just looking for something to use as a club.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 02:31 AM

Good to know, thank you. I accept that information.

Why is it so difficult for some to accept a magazine is a magazine and a clip is a clip? Once again, clips have been used in very few firearms made in the last 100 years. Out of 30 firearms I own, none use a clip, most have magazines, some are single shot. My stepson has one that uses a clip though. It is an M-1 Garand.

It works the same as the buffalo/antelope example. Guns with clips were around in the 1890s (maybe earlier), and then in the early 1900s detachable box mags(DBM) came out but in a much smaller scale (as in mainly pistols). Then most guns with, lets call them quick feed devices, until after ww2 were clip fed rifles and some pistols. so for 60 years most guns that most people had access to were rifles with clips, a DBM in the eyes of most people does about the same as a clip, especially when compared to a garand. So the term clip stuck and only since the internet was invented has anyone cared

My years may be a little off, but the jist is correct

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Oh, give me a home
Where the buffalo roam,

Why get wrapped around the axle about any of that? I think it's all technically incorrect, isn't it?

I don't know why anyone would feel obligated to cloud up and rain on someone for saying he wanted to buy an extra 10-round clip for his 10-22. Some language might be more technically correct than what you hear someone using, but the entire point of words and language is to convey ideas. If the guy says "10-round clip for my 10-22" and you get all bent out of shape about it, it's clear that you know exactly what was meant...it then appears you're just looking for something to use as a club.

Exactly, and IMO buffalo and antelope is fine too :-)

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Oh, give me a home
Where the buffalo roam,

Yep.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 02:55 AM

No point in going around in a circle about this. All done, here.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 03:07 AM

So the term clip stuck and only since the internet was invented has anyone cared

Ask some Marines if the internet made them care about clips vs mags...or maybe that was just specific DIs that beat it into heads
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 03:07 PM

Same reason what we call a prairie is not a prairie but is actually a steppe, there were no French words for steppe so the they called them prairies which in France is basically a meadow, but now we use the word prairie even though it is technically not correct.

I think meadow is incorrect, pasture is the word you are looking for. I trust you will do the 20 push ups without supervision. lizard

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 05:29 PM

That is the thread that made me start this thread. Notice I was a good boy and did not make a smart ### comment on there.

The term has been so misused, that Webster's has even changed the definition. sad.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 07:31 PM

We all use words that don’t actually fit the precise meaning. For instance, is your ex-wife or GF really a female dog?

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 08:15 PM

I think some may profuse apologies to the Canids of the world.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 08:39 PM

I called a tranny a boy once it got mad and said its a girl. I bet if a magazine could talk and you called it a clip it would get mad and say its a magazine.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 08:58 PM

So would a coyote if you called him a dog. I am careful not to do that.
I never heard clips referred as magazines until Al Gore invented inter web.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 09:25 PM

Mag or Clip
I feel the same about wheels and rims.
Rims go on bikes wheels go on cars and trucks.

People miss use words all the time. I pick up on it but only call out people who annoy me. roflmao

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/04/18 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
Same reason what we call a prairie is not a prairie but is actually a steppe, there were no French words for steppe so the they called them prairies which in France is basically a meadow, but now we use the word prairie even though it is technically not correct.

I think meadow is incorrect, pasture is the word you are looking for. I trust you will do the 20 push ups without supervision. lizard

I will that trust you are right, off to do my pushups :-)
Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/05/18 07:09 PM

So, everyone who is arguing that clips and magazines are the same, you are all OK with AR-15s being called assault rifles then?

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/05/18 09:43 PM

So, everyone who is arguing that clips and magazines are the same, you are all OK with AR-15s being called assault rifles then?

Is there a political agenda being driven forward by calling magazines "clips?"

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/05/18 10:40 PM

That’s about the third post saying folks are arguing they are the same. Total straw man. There’s not one person that has argued that. Zero. Everyone who has posted on here knows the difference. The post is about who gets their panties in a wad about others who use the words interchangeably.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/05/18 11:20 PM

Are there different terms for people who do their own scouting prepping and kill a mature animal and those who pay a guide to do everything except pull the trigger?
Posted By: gusick

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/05/18 11:26 PM

I know the difference but I don't correct people who use the words interchangeably because that's obnoxious. That would be worth doing if you were at Cabelas and asked for stripper clips and they gave you a box magazine instead but I've never had that problem.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/05/18 11:36 PM

Usually I just smirk, maybe a little chuckle and let it go. Most times the offender will ask what that means, or the others in a group conversation will laugh.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/05/18 11:40 PM

Very low on my G.A.S. scale.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/07/18 01:00 AM

You haven’t driven a deleted new one then

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/07/18 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36

You haven’t driven a deleted new one then

No, considering the penalties, and dealers will not work on them or take them in trade, until the extended warranty runs out mine is staying stock. After that, it will be traded off.

The durability and reliability of the 7.3 is its appeal to me. My current 6.7 has required more work than any of my other previous trucks including a 6.4 - never owned a 6.0 thankfully.

Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/07/18 08:50 PM

It is slang from a generation that earned the right to call it whatever they please. The issue may be some are too young to have known the great men that wanted a 30 round banana clip in their M1 carbine. That is the term my 84 year old father inlaw, a former marine who served in the Korean War, uses to describe the hi capacity mags he has for his old M1 Carbine. Which he describes as "handy". He is still fiesty enough that i would make a special trip to watch one of you correct him about his magazines.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/07/18 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
It is slang from a generation that earned the right to call it whatever they please. The issue may be some are too young to have known the great men that wanted a 30 round banana clip in their M1 carbine. That is the term my 84 year old father inlaw, a former marine who served in the Korean War, uses to describe the hi capacity mags he has for his old M1 Carbine. Which he describes as "handy". He is still fiesty enough that i would make a special trip to watch one of you correct him about his magazines.

Everyone in the military is taught to correct things they see that are wrong even if the person outranks you. The key is to do it tactfully and not embarrass the person when you educate them. If you just stand by and watch something that’s wrong without correcting it you just created a new standard a subpar standard.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/07/18 10:15 PM

Visiting with him about it in the past, it was an era when the standard battle rifle was the M1 Garand. Ammunition was carried in "clips". Just the way it was. Things change.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/07/18 10:25 PM

Visiting with him about it in the past, it was an era when the standard battle rifle was the M1 Garand. Ammunition was carried in "clips". Just the way it was. Things change.
yes they were carried in clips back then now a days they are in magazines. The description for an M4 is

The M4/M4A1 5.56mm Carbine is a lightweight, gas operated, air cooled, magazine fed, selective rate, shoulder fired weapon with a collapsible stock.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/07/18 10:33 PM

the C most definitely does not stand for "clip".......... in no historical literature does the word clip ever show up, however the term rotary and detachable magazine show plenty. the 99 was a co-op of designs from savage and colt... just say'n

clips are for hair......
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/07/18 10:36 PM

yes ammunition was carried on "stripper clips" but then it was put into the guns internal box "MAGAZINE".....

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/07/18 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: SingleShot85

yes ammunition was carried on "stripper clips" but then it was put into the guns internal box "MAGAZINE".....

I'm quite aware. I just chuckle at the prospect of someone convincing the father in law his vernacular is wrong. Although at 84 time has altered his physicality, in his mind, he is still a rough and tumble jarhead that's not gonna take crap from man or beast. When he gets heated up, he can still lay down a string of profanity laced dialog with the best.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/08/18 01:00 AM

I'm quite aware. I just chuckle at the prospect of someone convincing the father in law his vernacular is wrong. Although at 84 time has altered his physicality, in his mind, he is still a rough and tumble jarhead that's not gonna take crap from man or beast. When he gets heated up, he can still lay down a string of profanity laced dialog with the best.

Grandpa and a bud (80's) were trying to stretch 5 stand barb wire on a short 100' run. Dad (60's) said to me "please go handle this". I walked up and told them to have a seat and let the youngster do it (in my early 30's then). I started on the top wire. The friend of grandpa said "I was taught to start at the bottom and work up". I said, "yessir, I've tried that, and on a wood brace, by the time that top wire is tight, and has taken all the slack out of the brace, the bottom wire will be like a wet noodle."

Then I proved my way to work, with no other words said.

Point being, doing something wrong for 80 years doesn't make it right by seniority.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/08/18 01:36 AM

We almost universally use the word "accuracy" when what we are really talking about is "precision."

So what. We still understand each other.

Some things are worth arguing about, and some arguments can never be brought to a conclusion.

I say "pick your battles."

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/08/18 01:55 AM

the C most definitely does not stand for "clip".......... in no historical literature does the word clip ever show up, however the term rotary and detachable magazine show plenty. the 99 was a co-op of designs from savage and colt... just say'n

clips are for hair......

Took me a while to find it but on the Savage add called "the modern classic" They say they designed the "clip to fit flush", however 99% (see what i did there) does call the clips magazines (i just threw that Clip in there to give yall some thing to feel superior about). I am off to load my clips, then i will read my magazine while sitting on the toilet.
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/08/18 02:52 AM

if a clip is not a magazine then the reciever would be the magazine fed by a clip so if the reciever is the magazine then a box magazine would be a box clip since the reciever is the magazine and a a tube magazine would be a tube clip lol
Posted By: thorn4570

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/11/18 01:14 AM

I teach law in a high school and I will put a pic of a mag on the board at the first of the year and say mag or clip. 95% will say clip. I will do this several times a year and they usually only get it wrong the first time. Just trying to do my part. Ha
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/11/18 09:28 AM

As you get older you"ll recognize the battles you would have jumped into in years past are really not worth the effort.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip - 08/11/18 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
As you get older you"ll recognize the battles you would have jumped into in years past are really not worth the effort.

Yup. The way I see it, you'd get more out of teaching the world to sing than to say magazine instead of clip. It just doesn't amount to a rat's [censored]. I'm satisfied to know and to keep it to myself until I can use it to help someone else who should know and wants to know.

Waste not thy breath.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum