Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: txtrophy85] #7172984 05/18/18 12:28 PM
68A Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Shooting axis at night is fun, but not as much fun as white tail.
roflmao

I've night-hunted exotics multiple times. It's not as easy as you'd think. Not as hard as a day time safari style axis hunt, for sure, but not a fish-in-a-barrel either.

To each his own. confused2

Yes cause blinding an animal with a Q-beam is quite challenging

It is as easy as you’d think

and shooting them at a feeder during the day is harder? Who is anyone to criticize another persons way of hunting as long as it’s legal? You and I may not agree with a certain method based on ethics, morals, etc. but, if that’s how they wanna do it then more power to them.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: 68A] #7173007 05/18/18 01:08 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: 68A
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
Shooting axis at night is fun, but not as much fun as white tail.
roflmao

I've night-hunted exotics multiple times. It's not as easy as you'd think. Not as hard as a day time safari style axis hunt, for sure, but not a fish-in-a-barrel either.

To each his own. confused2

Yes cause blinding an animal with a Q-beam is quite challenging

It is as easy as you’d think

and shooting them at a feeder during the day is harder? Who is anyone to criticize another persons way of hunting as long as it’s legal? You and I may not agree with a certain method based on ethics, morals, etc. but, if that’s how they wanna do it then more power to them.

animals act completely different at night. Axis deer are 10X more docile at night than they are during the day. I can drive up to mature axis at night with a spotlight....never could get close to doing that in the daylight.

so yes, it is easier than shooting them at night over during the day time. In most cases, the shooting them is the easy part anyway, be it over a feeder, crop field, game trail, etc.....its the finding them to shoot that is the hard part.

and i'm not criticizing anything...i'm calling a spade a spade. shooting a deer at night with the aid of a spotlight is tons easier than doing it during the day time.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: dkershen] #7173023 05/18/18 01:24 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
yall really makin a fuss out of shooting an animal that shouldn't be here... if they came on my property id go out at night and split every single ones wig.. the eye shine makes it a much easier target

I bet it is pretty hard to find them in that light during the day

i'm calling a spade a spade. shooting a deer at night with the aid of a spotlight is tons easier than doing it during the day time.

grin

Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: dkershen] #7173031 05/18/18 01:31 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I agree it would be a better Texas IMO if every free-ranging exotics/ferals (especially hogs and, yes, including aoudad and nilgai) went away. Traps, nets, night shooting - I wouldn’t care (though I know it ain’t happening).

The OP context is night hunting as part of an advertised “trophy HUNT”. Not eradication. In that context, it’s a joke.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7173035 05/18/18 01:35 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I agree it would be a better Texas IMO if every free-ranging exotics/ferals (especially hogs and, yes, including aoudad and nilgai) went away. Traps, nets, night shooting - I wouldn’t care (though I know it ain’t happening).

wtf

Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: dkershen] #7173044 05/18/18 01:45 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Legal, but I don't necessarily consider it ethical. Odd that the fact that population control is brought up, but number wise throughout the state the whitetail numbers are considerably higher than the number of Axis aren't they?

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: skinnerback] #7173047 05/18/18 01:49 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

wtf

That’s my opinion - I realize many will disagree because they have fun shooting that stuff all year.

Like I said, it’s a moot point anyway. Quite literally, Texas has become the feral/exotics capital of the world.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7173086 05/18/18 02:27 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Blasphemy you dirty blasphemer!

I enjoy the axis and the aoudad....quite a bit. I like the free ranging Sika and blackbuck too in the areas they have sustaining populations.

Also enjoy the nilgai down south although I haven’t hunted them.

I have mixed emotions about it. I’m personally not partial to the ranches that have 27 different species of exotics. It’s a business and I’m all for thst although it’s not my cup of tea to hunt them.

But also exotics do play a viable hunting role in free range scenarios.

Lots of exotics play a huge role in American outdoor pursuits. Sika deer on the east coast, ringneck pheasants in the heartland, brown trout in the rivers and lakes

Remove those and you remove a big part of history in our nation.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: dkershen] #7173088 05/18/18 02:28 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
It is not hunting. Surprising how many see nothing wrong with it, but they won't do it.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: Mr. T.] #7173101 05/18/18 02:41 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
Legal, but totally wrong to do it.

Yep. Just because it is legal doesn't make it right.

I guess some "hunters" just want a participation trophy whether they earned it or not.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: txtrophy85] #7173116 05/18/18 03:01 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

I enjoy the axis and the aoudad....quite a bit. I like the free ranging Sika and blackbuck too in the areas they have sustaining populations.

I have mixed emotions about it. I’m personally not partial to the ranches that have 27 different species of exotics. It’s a business and I’m all for thst although it’s not my cup of tea to hunt them.

Lots of exotics play a huge role in American outdoor pursuits. Sika deer on the east coast, ringneck pheasants in the heartland, brown trout in the rivers and lakes

smile

I’ll admit the pheasants and brown trout especially give me pause when I say that. Yet there are/were native species in those ecosystem niches that those now hinder (in many cases prevent) from making the inroads they could otherwise. OTOH, there are places where the habitat and/or prior native species are gone to never return and it’s the introduced ones or nothing. On many of the historical ones (19th/early 20th century introductions) that’s the case.

But you get where I am coming from.....thinking mostly about the Texas feral/exotics situation we now have.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: dkershen] #7173147 05/18/18 03:25 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Not for me but I don't have a problem if somebody else wants to do it as long as they're utilizing the meat.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: dkershen] #7173198 05/18/18 04:12 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I would not shoot a nice axis buck at night because it feels like cheating.

But if you're just looking to stick a doe in the freezer, I don't really see what difference it makes.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: dkershen] #7173202 05/18/18 04:17 PM
T
Tony270 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Predators do some of there best hunting at night!

3G Ranch
Montell,TX
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7173366 05/18/18 07:00 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

smile

I’ll admit the pheasants and brown trout especially give me pause when I say that. Yet there are/were native species in those ecosystem niches that those now hinder (in many cases prevent) from making the inroads they could otherwise. OTOH, there are places where the habitat and/or prior native species are gone to never return and it’s the introduced ones or nothing. On many of the historical ones (19th/early 20th century introductions) that’s the case.

But you get where I am coming from.....thinking mostly about the Texas feral/exotics situation we now have.

Let’s be honest with ourselves for second, a mature axis buck is a much more noble animal than a scrappy hill country whitetail.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: txtrophy85] #7173370 05/18/18 07:06 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

smile

Let’s be honest with ourselves for second, a mature axis buck is a much more noble animal than a scrappy hill country whitetail.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder I reckon. smile

They are indeed pretty and eat good I’m told.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: dkershen] #7173391 05/18/18 07:35 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I believe it was FDR that said "the American dream is a vehicle in every driveway and a Axis at every feeder"

Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: txtrophy85] #7173406 05/18/18 07:59 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

smile

Maybe in India

Not a chance in Texas... ill take a WT all day long over an Axis

Now if I was in India id much rather shoot an Axis

Last edited by Navasot; 05/18/18 08:07 PM.
Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: dkershen] #7173410 05/18/18 08:03 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
So just hang on.....

You ones that are against this.... are just fine for it being done to pigs and predators??

Are you people being serious?

Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: dkershen] #7173413 05/18/18 08:06 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Yall cant actually sit here and tell me that its right to shoot a pig at night but not an EXOTIC axis? because its prettier and taste better?

Or what bit of sane truth do you have to back this craziness

Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: dkershen] #7173422 05/18/18 08:20 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It's legal. It's no more or less ethical than shooting a cow for meat. If you want to have a trophy for a photo or mount then go for it. I don't really care. In this case it's really up to the individual.

To be determined
Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: Navasot] #7173428 05/18/18 08:23 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Yall cant actually sit here and tell me that its right to shoot a pig at night but not an EXOTIC axis? because its prettier and taste better?

I've never had a deer of any kind root up a hay field like hogs do.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: dkershen] #7173429 05/18/18 08:23 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Nav have you ever hunted or killed an axis?

Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: dkershen] #7173435 05/18/18 08:32 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Yes

Re: Spotlighting Axis? [Re: TexasKC] #7173437 05/18/18 08:33 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: TexasKC
Originally Posted By: Navasot

I've never had a deer of any kind root up a hay field like hogs do.

lol and that makes it ok for them to be here?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide