Texas Hunting Forum

Spotlighting Axis?

Posted By: dkershen

Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 05:16 PM

Been seeing ads on FB from an outfitter that guarantees "Trophy" Axis hunts on his high fence ranches. The way he does this is if you fail to take one from one of his blinds during the day, he just spotlights one for you after dark. I've got no problem spotighting hogs or coyotes for varmint control, but would never do it on a deer of any species, legal or not. Your thoughts? Am I drawing arbitrary lines in the sand?
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 05:21 PM

For you I can tell it's maybe more of an ethical thing for you. It doesn't bother me all too much, however I would worry more about what's behind that animal since you're hunting at night. So it may be more of the ethics of that hunter on how they look at it when it being legal hunt.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 05:25 PM

No, your gut is telling you hunting vs. just killing for $$. Don’t see how day vs. night could be called an “arbitrary” line in any sense when it comes to deer hunting.

It’s been pretty much been recognized as poaching under our game laws forever on WTs. For obvious reasons to anyone who knows the first thing about deer. I get it may be legal because exotics are not game animals, but anyone with an ounce of hunter’s blood wouldn’t give a damn about doing it IMO.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 06:06 PM

Guarantees sort of rule out the 'hunting' portion of the equation.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 06:07 PM

Legal, but totally wrong to do it.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
Been seeing ads on FB from an outfitter that guarantees "Trophy" Axis hunts on his high fence ranches. The way he does this is if you fail to take one from one of his blinds during the day, he just spotlights one for you after dark. I've got no problem spotighting hogs or coyotes for varmint control, but would never do it on a deer of any species, legal or not. Your thoughts? Am I drawing arbitrary lines in the sand?

Since they said “trophy hunt”... hell no.

I wouldn’t sell hunts doing it, nor post the results. It a technique for controlling populations and gathering meat. I’ve done/helped with it, At that point I’m not looking for a hunting experience , I’m just efficiently getting meat. My same thought process when filling MLD doe tags, I’m going to use all legal means to make its as effective and efficient as possible.

Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 06:48 PM

Being that they are not a game animal and are considered exotic. I have no issue with it. You aren't breaking the law. I went a few weeks back after not having shot anything during the day. I didn't have any luck at night either. So you are guaranteed either way.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 06:55 PM

I wouldn't do that but I won't judge you for doing it.
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06
Ha, yea this for sure. Not so much "hunting" as being able to butcher your own meat...
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 09:03 PM

I agree with you Dave.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 09:11 PM

Depends on what type of hunt I'm on. If it's for the meat which I love, I have no problem with it at all. If you like to trophy hunt them that way, to each his own.

The deer is just as dead shot at night as it is during the day. Same experience for the deer on their side of the equation IMO. I'm sure being shot at night sucks just as much as being shot during the day, lol.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 09:28 PM

Its an exotic... they taste better if shot at night
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 09:42 PM

I wouldn't pay to do it and I wouldn't consider it a trophy hunt, but I got not problem with it.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
No, your gut is telling you hunting vs. just killing for $$. Don’t see how day vs. night could be called an “arbitrary” line in any sense when it comes to deer hunting.

It’s been pretty much been recognized as poaching under our game laws forever on WTs. For obvious reasons to anyone who knows the first thing about deer. I get it may be legal because exotics are not game animals, but anyone with an ounce of hunter’s blood wouldn’t give a damn about doing it IMO.

Why is it that night hunting of game animals is poaching? Night fishing isn't? I bet hunting was regulated to a day time affair due to safety issues than anything.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 10:03 PM

I’m not a fan of night huniting for much of anything outside of hogs/predators

If your out to get a meat doe or something, then so be it. Same thing with population control measures

No way would i ever shoot anything other than a hog or predator at night and brag about it.

Spotlighting a axis or any other trophy exotic is simply killing it, not really hunting it.

That’s how I feel about it

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Why is it that night hunting of game animals is poaching? Night fishing isn't? I bet hunting was regulated to a day time affair due to safety issues than anything.

WT deer and other game animals are vulnerable and easy to kill at night with spotlights. It’s kind of a different game day vs. night. Fishing is different.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 10:32 PM

You can go to a $200/plate restaurant and have them put your dinner in a styrofoam box for you to eat with your fingers in the car, but why would you?

I don't tell others how to hunt, as long as their actions are legal; I prefer to keep the "hunt" in hunting, myself.
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06

I concur, but honestly what difference does it make day or night. I would not but it’s my opinion. Dead is dead.

Posted By: majekman

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 10:54 PM

I’ve taken axis for at night and have no prob with it. Just after the meat. I would not however choot a trophy axis buck at night but that’s just me.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 11:02 PM

Shooting axis at night is fun, but not as much fun as white tail.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
roflmao

I've night-hunted exotics multiple times. It's not as easy as you'd think. Not as hard as a day time safari style axis hunt, for sure, but not a fish-in-a-barrel either.

To each his own. confused2
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/17/18 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Its an exotic... they taste better if shot at night

Why I only gig flounder at night

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
roflmao

I've night-hunted exotics multiple times. It's not as easy as you'd think. Not as hard as a day time safari style axis hunt, for sure, but not a fish-in-a-barrel either.

Yes cause blinding an animal with a Q-beam is quite challenging

It is as easy as you’d think

Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 11:24 AM

What about using Thermal/Night Vision. With the improvements in quality and price I can see those being used for night hunting non-regulated critters, especially if someone is willing to pay.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: RattlesnakeDan
What about using Thermal/Night Vision.

They are used pretty regular.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
roflmao

and shooting them at a feeder during the day is harder? Who is anyone to criticize another persons way of hunting as long as it’s legal? You and I may not agree with a certain method based on ethics, morals, etc. but, if that’s how they wanna do it then more power to them.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: 68A
roflmao

and shooting them at a feeder during the day is harder? Who is anyone to criticize another persons way of hunting as long as it’s legal? You and I may not agree with a certain method based on ethics, morals, etc. but, if that’s how they wanna do it then more power to them.

animals act completely different at night. Axis deer are 10X more docile at night than they are during the day. I can drive up to mature axis at night with a spotlight....never could get close to doing that in the daylight.

so yes, it is easier than shooting them at night over during the day time. In most cases, the shooting them is the easy part anyway, be it over a feeder, crop field, game trail, etc.....its the finding them to shoot that is the hard part.

and i'm not criticizing anything...i'm calling a spade a spade. shooting a deer at night with the aid of a spotlight is tons easier than doing it during the day time.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 01:24 PM

yall really makin a fuss out of shooting an animal that shouldn't be here... if they came on my property id go out at night and split every single ones wig.. the eye shine makes it a much easier target

I bet it is pretty hard to find them in that light during the day

i'm calling a spade a spade. shooting a deer at night with the aid of a spotlight is tons easier than doing it during the day time.

grin

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 01:31 PM

I agree it would be a better Texas IMO if every free-ranging exotics/ferals (especially hogs and, yes, including aoudad and nilgai) went away. Traps, nets, night shooting - I wouldn’t care (though I know it ain’t happening).

The OP context is night hunting as part of an advertised “trophy HUNT”. Not eradication. In that context, it’s a joke.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 01:35 PM

I agree it would be a better Texas IMO if every free-ranging exotics/ferals (especially hogs and, yes, including aoudad and nilgai) went away. Traps, nets, night shooting - I wouldn’t care (though I know it ain’t happening).

wtf
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 01:45 PM

Legal, but I don't necessarily consider it ethical. Odd that the fact that population control is brought up, but number wise throughout the state the whitetail numbers are considerably higher than the number of Axis aren't they?

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 01:49 PM

wtf

That’s my opinion - I realize many will disagree because they have fun shooting that stuff all year.

Like I said, it’s a moot point anyway. Quite literally, Texas has become the feral/exotics capital of the world.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 02:27 PM

Blasphemy you dirty blasphemer!

I enjoy the axis and the aoudad....quite a bit. I like the free ranging Sika and blackbuck too in the areas they have sustaining populations.

Also enjoy the nilgai down south although I haven’t hunted them.

I have mixed emotions about it. I’m personally not partial to the ranches that have 27 different species of exotics. It’s a business and I’m all for thst although it’s not my cup of tea to hunt them.

But also exotics do play a viable hunting role in free range scenarios.

Lots of exotics play a huge role in American outdoor pursuits. Sika deer on the east coast, ringneck pheasants in the heartland, brown trout in the rivers and lakes

Remove those and you remove a big part of history in our nation.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 02:28 PM

It is not hunting. Surprising how many see nothing wrong with it, but they won't do it.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
Legal, but totally wrong to do it.

Yep. Just because it is legal doesn't make it right.

I guess some "hunters" just want a participation trophy whether they earned it or not.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 03:01 PM

I enjoy the axis and the aoudad....quite a bit. I like the free ranging Sika and blackbuck too in the areas they have sustaining populations.

I have mixed emotions about it. I’m personally not partial to the ranches that have 27 different species of exotics. It’s a business and I’m all for thst although it’s not my cup of tea to hunt them.

Lots of exotics play a huge role in American outdoor pursuits. Sika deer on the east coast, ringneck pheasants in the heartland, brown trout in the rivers and lakes

smile

I’ll admit the pheasants and brown trout especially give me pause when I say that. Yet there are/were native species in those ecosystem niches that those now hinder (in many cases prevent) from making the inroads they could otherwise. OTOH, there are places where the habitat and/or prior native species are gone to never return and it’s the introduced ones or nothing. On many of the historical ones (19th/early 20th century introductions) that’s the case.

But you get where I am coming from.....thinking mostly about the Texas feral/exotics situation we now have.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 03:25 PM

Not for me but I don't have a problem if somebody else wants to do it as long as they're utilizing the meat.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 04:12 PM

I would not shoot a nice axis buck at night because it feels like cheating.

But if you're just looking to stick a doe in the freezer, I don't really see what difference it makes.
Posted By: Tony270

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 04:17 PM

Predators do some of there best hunting at night!

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 07:00 PM

smile

I’ll admit the pheasants and brown trout especially give me pause when I say that. Yet there are/were native species in those ecosystem niches that those now hinder (in many cases prevent) from making the inroads they could otherwise. OTOH, there are places where the habitat and/or prior native species are gone to never return and it’s the introduced ones or nothing. On many of the historical ones (19th/early 20th century introductions) that’s the case.

But you get where I am coming from.....thinking mostly about the Texas feral/exotics situation we now have.

Let’s be honest with ourselves for second, a mature axis buck is a much more noble animal than a scrappy hill country whitetail.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 07:06 PM

smile

Let’s be honest with ourselves for second, a mature axis buck is a much more noble animal than a scrappy hill country whitetail.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder I reckon. smile

They are indeed pretty and eat good I’m told.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 07:35 PM

I believe it was FDR that said "the American dream is a vehicle in every driveway and a Axis at every feeder"

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 07:59 PM

smile

Maybe in India

Not a chance in Texas... ill take a WT all day long over an Axis

Now if I was in India id much rather shoot an Axis

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 08:03 PM

So just hang on.....

You ones that are against this.... are just fine for it being done to pigs and predators??

Are you people being serious?

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 08:06 PM

Yall cant actually sit here and tell me that its right to shoot a pig at night but not an EXOTIC axis? because its prettier and taste better?

Or what bit of sane truth do you have to back this craziness
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 08:20 PM

It's legal. It's no more or less ethical than shooting a cow for meat. If you want to have a trophy for a photo or mount then go for it. I don't really care. In this case it's really up to the individual.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 08:23 PM

Yall cant actually sit here and tell me that its right to shoot a pig at night but not an EXOTIC axis? because its prettier and taste better?

I've never had a deer of any kind root up a hay field like hogs do.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 08:23 PM

Nav have you ever hunted or killed an axis?

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 08:32 PM

Yes

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasKC

lol and that makes it ok for them to be here?

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasKC

lol and that makes it ok for them to be here?

You asked what justification people have for shooting hogs at night. The reason I shoot hogs at night is because I don't like them tearing up my pastures. You can shoot all the axis deer you want for all I care. I don't have access to axis in my neck of the woods and I'm not about to pay someone for the privilege, day or night.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 08:41 PM

Yes

Well what’s wrong with you then ?
Posted By: don k

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 08:57 PM

I have actually found that an Axis that is taken at night with a spot light and 22 LR actually tastes better than one taken during the day with a center fire rifle.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 08:58 PM

Yes

I have Indian blood runnin through me... i do not like things that are not Native... it disrupts the balance

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 09:00 PM

An axis is an exotic.
Hogs are vermin.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 09:17 PM

An axis is an exotic.
Hogs are vermin.

All in the same... they will compete with Native animals so they are vermin
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 09:22 PM

Yes

I have Indian blood runnin through me... i do not like things that are not Native... it disrupts the balance
This is funny because you mentioned the other India earlier roflmao #ElizabethWarrenWYA
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen

Nope....unless they were being harmful like pigs....crop damage etc...then maybe.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
I have actually found that an Axis that is taken at night with a spot light and 22 LR actually tastes better than one taken during the day with a center fire rifle.
roflmao
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 09:53 PM

I would never tell anyone else how they should hunt. I expect the same from them on my behalf. IMO ALL exotics are nuisance and should be eliminated from Texas....especially them elk and aoudads in West Texas.....I don't care how they are eliminated...bolt
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: don k

Unless joking, that might make sense. A calmly killed animal under less stress generally tastes better. It is that way for non-hamburger beef.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/18/18 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
IMO ALL exotics are nuisance and should be eliminated from Texas....especially them elk and aoudads in West Texas.....I don't care how they are eliminated...bolt

You don’t really mean that, it must be the sweet n’ low talking

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/19/18 12:04 AM

IMO ALL exotics are nuisance and should be eliminated from Texas....especially them elk and aoudads in West Texas.....I don't care how they are eliminated...bolt

Then you really don't know much about me if you think I am joking.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/19/18 12:06 AM

popcorn

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/19/18 12:23 AM

Lmao, no I know 100% you are serious

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/19/18 12:41 AM

Lmao, no I know 100% you are serious

Just think about how bad your Mule Deer hunting has been since you started on that West Texas property since year one till last year. What two worthless exotics were allowed to increased leaps and bounds during that time frame? They thrived during the drought and continued to increase more and more with better range conditions.

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/19/18 01:03 AM

I think we should kill off all the stinkin' mule deer and aoudad to open up more ground for the elk. peep

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/19/18 01:05 AM

I think we should kill off all the stinkin' mule deer and aoudad to open up more ground for the elk. peep
Need to slow down on the booze this evening...it is effecting your common sense.... grin

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/19/18 01:11 AM

Need to slow down on the booze this evening...it is effecting your common sense.... grin

LOL, man I'm ready for a drink but it's hard to get to a watering hole when you're stuck 68 miles offshore. smile

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/19/18 01:51 AM

LOL, man I'm ready for a drink but it's hard to get to a watering hole when you're stuck 68 miles offshore. smile

If... cry it would ever rain enough to get the creeks flowing I could float you a Yeti bolt full of cold beer down the Medio. grinz
Glad you are working again cheers
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/19/18 03:52 AM

An axis is an exotic.
Hogs are vermin.

Ok, so should we shoot all the cows we see? They are competing with the native Buffalo (aka tatonka).
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/19/18 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
Originally Posted by Navasot
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
An axis is an exotic.
Hogs are vermin.

Ok, so should we shoot all the cows we see? They are competing with the native Buffalo (aka tatonka).
roflmao

Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/23/18 12:50 AM

Inside a high fence it’s livestock. I don’t care when they are killed. I personally wouldn’t want to shoot a trophy at night, but I also wouldn’t shoot a trophy inside a high fence either.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/23/18 02:07 AM

There is no truth to back it. It’s the “It’s not ethical because I say it isn’t” attitude. Never mind the fact that same people will sit at a timed feeder and wait for an animal. I have a coworker who moved from up north two years ago. I introduced him to lease hunting in Texas, box blinds, feeders, etc. I can’t tell you how many times throughout the season he told me he couldn’t get over how easy it was and its not at all what would be considered hunting back home. By the end of the season he was spoiled. In either case (shooting an axis at night or shooting whatever animal at a feeder), the end result is the same, a dead animal. Both methods are legal in Texas. As long as it’s legal and humane, whatever floats your boat. I may not agree with it but who I am to say it’s cheating or unethical. Those opinions will vary from individual to individual, and that’s all they are, opinions.

These arguments are an exercise in futility.

To whoever said deer aren’t destructive, I have an acquaintance that has a vineyard in West Tx. I’d love to see the look on his face when someone told him that.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Spotlighting Axis? - 05/23/18 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: 68A

To whoever said deer aren’t destructive, I have an acquaintance that has a vineyard in West Tx. I’d love to see the look on his face when someone told him that.

There was a reason we used to get permits to shoot 50-100 deer every summer when I was a kid. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum