Forums46
Topics538,407
Posts9,736,802
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: jeffbird] #6993707 12/12/17 10:00 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
So we can agree that on average spikes wont score what their forked antler classmates will ???

Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: txbobcat] #6993730 12/12/17 10:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: txbobcat
So we can agree that on average spikes wont score what their forked antler classmates will ???

At what year?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: txbobcat] #6993822 12/12/17 11:05 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P

More likely until they both reach full maturity. After that the spike could grown bigger than the fork horn born earlier than he was IMO.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: jeffbird] #6993945 12/13/17 12:20 AM
J
jeffbird Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Simple rule, don’t shoot yearling bucks. A two year old with an unbranched beam is pretty rare. If there are too many deer, shoot more does to bring the numbers down.

Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6995023 12/13/17 09:00 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

More likely until they both reach full maturity. After that the spike could grown bigger than the fork horn born earlier than he was IMO.

"could" but not probable.

Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: txbobcat] #6995159 12/13/17 10:46 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

No. You can't group them by "class". Some deer are born in Oct. Nov. You simply can't group a deer that was born then with deer that were born in June.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6995167 12/13/17 10:52 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Balancing the buck:doe ratio? [/quote]

Give me a break! Where have you ever seen a hunted free range population of whitetail deer where bucks outnumbered does? I’m not saying it’s impossoble, but it’s highly unlikely. Even in unhunted populations, natural mortalities rates are higher for bucks than does, leading to numbers being skewed slightly to more does than bucks. [/quote]

I have seen high buck to doe ratios plenty of times. [/quote]

True or perceived? Oct a feeder is dominated my bucks, Nov does dominate.

Only place Non MLD- I have seen with a close’ish buck to doe is Webb country and panhandle, both had really high predation rates.

Webb country coyote populations are absurd never seen anything like it. [/quote]

In northern Val Verde county we always had fawn crops that were 75%+ bucks. Never seen it like that anywhere else. But during the 10 years we ranched there (on two different ranches), we always had more bucks than does. Even if we didn't shoot does. Just figured it was some natural way to limit population in an arid climate.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: therancher] #6995231 12/13/17 11:32 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: therancher

In northern Val Verde county we always had fawn crops that were 75%+ bucks. Never seen it like that anywhere else. But during the 10 years we ranched there (on two different ranches), we always had more bucks than does. Even if we didn't shoot does. Just figured it was some natural way to limit population in an arid climate.

Interesting. My buddy who hunts out towards Eden sees the same thing. They always have far more young bucks running around then does, and they hardly kill any does.

Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: redchevy] #6995257 12/13/17 11:53 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: Stub
Where is STX Hunter when you need him confused2

Lol said that to myself a few times too grin

Let me help ya'll then.

STX (who actually did have a firm grasp on most things whitetail), simply couldn't let go of his fatally flawed opinions on spikes. He was stubborn about things he had "learned", and just couldn't come to grips with the fact that he was 100% wrong about spikes.

But alas, the truth always prevails. And evidently he wasn't prepared to deal with the mental strain of facing the truth.

FWIW he did pm me just before he left, to let me know that he knew I was right. And I did try to convince him we could overlook one of his few flaws.... but he just couldn't bear the shame I guess.

It was a sad sad day for me.

Last edited by therancher; 12/13/17 11:54 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: jeffbird] #6995292 12/14/17 12:21 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
rofl

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: txshntr] #6995374 12/14/17 01:31 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: txshntr
rofl

Whut?!

It’s gospel!

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: jeffbird] #6995380 12/14/17 01:35 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Lol

‘‘Tis gospel for sure.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: therancher] #6995759 12/14/17 01:25 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

No. You can't group them by "class". Some deer are born in Oct. Nov. You simply can't group a deer that was born then with deer that were born in June.

We dang sure can if we are saying on average they wont score what the forked antlered bucks do later in life. A couple months age difference doesn't matter any at 5 and 6 years of age.

The decision should be based on whether you want to feed a deer 5 years that most likely wont score what a forked antlered buck will at the same age. The answer to that lies in your particular management plan and what you do with your bucks (sell hunts/personal lease etc).

Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: txbobcat] #6995935 12/14/17 03:16 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

We dang sure can if we are saying on average they wont score what the forked antlered bucks do later in life. A couple months age difference doesn't matter any at 5 and 6 years of age.

The decision should be based on whether you want to feed a deer 5 years that most likely wont score what a forked antlered buck will at the same age. The answer to that lies in your particular management plan and what you do with your bucks (sell hunts/personal lease etc).

You should read before you post. Even your own statements. You are right in your highlighted statement. But you couldn’t be more wrong about what birthdate does to that bucks first two sets of antlers. ALL bucks are nubbins as fawns. What I’ve written and you’ve ignored is the FACT that if born late (late sept to dec), MOST buck fawns will be a short spike the next fall when they are one year old “yearlings”, not the classic 1.5 year old “yearling”.

Those 4-6 months difference in age make what might have been a 4 to 10 point first year buck, a spike.

I live with deer all year long and I’ve seen spikes grow into bucks just as big as any other buck multiple times.

Their genetic potential is impossible to judge if you judge them as spikes, because of how critical that 4-6 month delay in development is.

So yes, at 5 or 6 it won’t make a difference. But it makes a huge difference their first couple of years. And if you use that difference to judge a bucks potential you’re gonna make some big mistakes.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: therancher] #6996081 12/14/17 04:42 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

You should read before you post. Even your own statements. You are right in your highlighted statement. But you couldn’t be more wrong about what birthdate does to that bucks first two sets of antlers. ALL bucks are nubbins as fawns. What I’ve written and you’ve ignored is the FACT that if born late (late sept to dec), MOST buck fawns will be a short spike the next fall when they are one year old “yearlings”, not the classic 1.5 year old “yearling”.

Those 4-6 months difference in age make what might have been a 4 to 10 point first year buck, a spike.

I live with deer all year long and I’ve seen spikes grow into bucks just as big as any other buck multiple times.

Their genetic potential is impossible to judge if you judge them as spikes, because of how critical that 4-6 month delay in development is.

So yes, at 5 or 6 it won’t make a difference. But it makes a huge difference their first couple of years. And if you use that difference to judge a bucks potential you’re gonna make some big mistakes.

You are trying to take the exception and make it the norm. The argument of " I have seen spikes grow into bucks just as big" is just that...the exception. Im glad you live with deer because I guess you can tell which spikes do what the next year. Being a land baron and all I guess you keep all of your bulls until they are mature to figure out which ones you want to keep as breed bulls? I don't think so.

You try hard to take genetics out of the equation but it doesn't work that way. Facts are that a spike antlered yearling buck on average wont equal their fork antlered counterparts at maturity. Now if your management plan calls for keeping all of those to maturity and hope you get the exception that turns into a buck same size as its class mates that is up to you. You don't hurt a thing on your top end type bucks by shooting spikes each year.

I am not currently shooting spikes on my place but I very rarely see one. We are hammering the heck out of them by the time they are 3 for no brows, 3pt or less sides, etc. Everyone's plan and goals are different. On overpopulated areas it can really be very beneficial to get age classes in line with population goals.

Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: therancher] #6996092 12/14/17 04:56 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

So these fawns that are born in October and November are bread in April and maybe May? Sounds like a weird arrangement.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: redchevy] #6996098 12/14/17 04:59 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

So these fawns that are born in October and November are bread in April and maybe May? Sounds like a weird arrangement.

Was wondering about that myself. But I’m not the expert. bolt

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: redchevy] #6996103 12/14/17 05:01 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Yes they are. If you haven’t seen scrapes and rutting in April you haven’t been hunting or paying attention long.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: therancher] #6996141 12/14/17 05:35 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Yes they are. If you haven’t seen scrapes and rutting in April you haven’t been hunting or paying attention long.

Ooooooo.......K.

1)I’m skeptical.
2)I’m not sure I would include April-bred doe/November-born WT fawns as a factor in any overall management decisions.

I’m just a guy though. Not an expert. I’m sure you will point that out.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: therancher] #6996178 12/14/17 06:08 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

We still talking whitetails here?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: TxAg] #6996255 12/14/17 07:00 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: TxAg

Interesting. My buddy who hunts out towards Eden sees the same thing. They always have far more young bucks running around then does, and they hardly kill any does.

We lease 1800 acres just north of Eden in Paint Rock, and the does outnumber the bucks 4:1. At least based on surveys and hunter reports.

Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: redchevy] #6996281 12/14/17 07:17 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

We still talking whitetails here?

If you haven’t learned by now he probably has pics, and so does STX.

Only one guy currently on this thread that has in past and currently has the ability to ear tags his deer at birth...

Good luck guys.

Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: jeffbird] #6996321 12/14/17 07:39 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I'm assuming "therancher" is the one ear tagging them at birth? If so I wonder if that has any effect on why he has deer rutting in april/may commonly.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: jeffbird] #6996338 12/14/17 07:56 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I’m not saying it doesn’t happen.
Just like I don’t say a given deer won’t jump a HF every once in a blue moon.
Just like I don’t say a .223 won’t kill a deer.

IMO it is not sound to use the fact that there may be such a thing as an occasional April-bred doe/November- born fawn as part of any sound overall WT management practice. (I’m still skeptical it even happens. If it does, my thought is something real wonky is going on with the herd - like too much inbreeding, mix of incompatible genetics, etc.)
Just as IMO it is not sound to conclude HFs don’t confine deer/make any difference in deer movement because once in twelve blue moons a buck will jump one.
Just as IMO it is not sound to argue the .223 is an optimum deer caliber simply because it will kill a deer.

Taking “outlier” examples and applying them to broad questions is not the hallmark of the expert - it’s simply engaging in useless banter that sheds no real light on the issue at hand. IMO.

Re: Spike to a Booner - Photos of Aging Deer [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6996348 12/14/17 08:02 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Ooooooo.......K.

1)I’m skeptical. You being skeptical of things I say is nothing new I'm sure we both agree, and it doesn't change the fact that deer do in fact breed in april and may in some cases. I'll let you do your own research to verify, but bucks drop their antlers after rutting activity and most people who have hunted know that many mature bucks keep their antlers well into april. They don't do that if they aren't breeding. Sorry, that's proven scientific fact. Argue with the scientists.
2)I’m not sure I would include April-bred doe/November-born WT fawns as a factor in any overall management decisions. I consider all bucks in the 160-200" range to be trophies. My bucks are all within that range and above at maturity. Spikes etc. There aren't many, but each year I get at least 2 or 3 buck fawns born between mid sept. and mid nov. Culling even one buck that will make that slot isn't something I care to do.

I’m just a guy though. Not an expert. I’m sure you will point that out. I've never claimed to be an expert, I just live with them and see them virtually every day. That, and I slept at a holiday inn last night.

Last edited by therancher; 12/14/17 08:03 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide