Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Hgood] #6882583 09/09/17 03:10 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
BC ...Well said. Kudos for the thought.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Brian C.] #6882603 09/09/17 03:38 PM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Brian C.
This year makes our sixth season with the TPWD draw hunts. I must say that this opportunity is truly deeply appreciated. I cut my teeth nearly 22 years ago hunting Type 2 land in east Texas with my father. The majority of career hunting has been on public lands so a bit accustomed I may be but alot of great memories have been made. There is nothing I would trade for the countless memories made in this great state. A few times over the years I've had access to leases and paid day leases. Although I must admit that even with the few flaws that the drawn system my hold, in my book it is an amazing opportunity for the common man to get outdoors and enjoy this great state. One thing I have noticed is the literal bending over backwards for the youth that this state puts forth and before anyone starts in on how TPWD is trying to lure in more revenue from the up and coming generation there is still a deep rooted tradition in nurturing our youth in the great outdoors. I work out of town in the oil fields and have little time for scouting or maintaining a lease if one was even in the budget. Yes the hands of the oil patch do make a fair living but supporting a family takes every dollar. So high dollar $1500+ leases are a crunch in this ole boy budget. So I'm thankful for what Parks and Wildlife has given us. Have we had bummer hunts through the draw? Sure we have but met alot of truly awesome fellow Texans along the way and been able to hunt portions of this state I may never had. These opportunities have given me a chance to pass what flows deep in blood to my kids the same as my father and so many on the forum. Hats off to Parks and Wildlife!
up

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Hgood] #6901496 09/28/17 12:40 AM
T
T. Mitchell Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I am a resident. My son and I are new hunters. No practical opportunities other than public hunts. Applied for two hunts in each of two categories last year. Bumped that to four in each of two categories this year. Selected for an early hunt this year. Seems like good odds. Was I extraordinarily lucky or did I just pick a location with drastically-fewer applications? I don't know but, I am grateful for the opportunity the present system has afforded me.

Regarding requiring a license to apply for draws, I would likely not have applied for the draws if I had had to buy a hunting license first. Even if I had, I would likely have gone for the cheapest license I could get. As it is, having won, I purchased super combos for both of us...plus the obvious public lands permit. I don't know how many people start their hunting through drawn hunts but, it is my entry into hunting.

Some folks have mentioned dwindling locations for hunts. I only know what I've read and that is that TPWD is adding more areas, including private land resources, for public hunting. Are they adding more locations for public hunting but reducing the areas having drawn hunts? If so, that would seem to indicate that regular public hunting is keeping the animals in check, without the need for special drawn hunts outside the normal seasons. I'm not sure how that can be associated with either the way the drawn hunts are administered or to allowing non-residents to apply.

Public Lands fan
Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: Hgood] #6901734 09/28/17 04:15 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I have been putting in on draw hunts for over 30 yrs. I've been drawn and I've had looong dry spells also. Last year in Jan. My SIL and I went to Elephant Mtn on a Javelina hunt. When we showed the staff was talking about the youth hunt the weekend before. They said that 0 people showed up for the hunt. No calls, No emails, all no shows. This was a waste of opportunities for other youth. This is a reason may be the youth permits should cost a small amount. If they have skin in the game they are more apt to show up. I don't know how much this goes on at other draws, but I have gone to a local draw to see if I could get stand-by. There was about 6 of us and they let all of us hunt after paying the fees. We have a great system, but we could work some kinks out too.

Re: TPWD public drawn hunts [Re: sqiggy] #6901776 09/28/17 08:18 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
The Texas non resident 5 day hunting license is only $48. If one can't afford $48 or $78, knowing it also increases their chance of drawing a hunt by weeding others out, they are not serious about hunting there anyway. Thus part of the problem.
Not for deer it isn't and most of the draw hunts are for deer. May be good for hogs and exotics, but not for deer.

One would be foolish to buy the much more expensive Deer license just to apply for OKs controlled hunts when you can apply with the the cheaper 5 day license. Of course unless you are going to be hunting Deer someplace else in OK anyway. You would not be able to use your regular Deer Permit during an OK controlled hunt.

Are deer, elk, antelope or turkey tags already purchased over-the-counter valid for Controlled Hunts?

No, all Controlled Hunt permits are purchased directly from the Department's License Section since they are bonus permits and do not count toward you season bag limit. You will receive written notification of the amount due if you are drawn.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide