Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cow thru fence [Re: gary roberson] #6873571 08/30/17 02:31 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: gary roberson
I think that my Grandfather was one of the first ranchers to breed the F-1 Brahman/Hereford crosses. We started breeding registered Polled Herefords to Brahman bulls in the late 1940's. While some of them can be "easily excited", others can be dog gentle as demonstrated by the F-1's that my son, Clint raises today. He topped the sale in San Saba last week when he sold some medium bred F-1 heifers for $2,950. The closest thing to his cattle that sold were some three in ones that sold for $700 less.
Yes, we have had some wild ones through the years but I am much to old to put up with that today.
Adios,
Gary

Jordan use to traditionally has some of the best replacement sales in the state. He use to personally specialize in F1's. Don't know if trend continues but way it use to be.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cow thru fence [Re: ELKMTB] #6873576 08/30/17 02:40 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
BOBO, how many big buyers are left now?, When I ran cattle, there where 3-5 main prime buyers I would see a various sale barns, nice bunch of guys that wrote some big checks!

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Cow thru fence [Re: J.G.] #6873593 08/30/17 02:52 PM
S
Savage388 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
They can jump pretty dang well for their size too. I guarantee it

Cross a Brahman bull with a Polled Hereford cow, and you have a psycho F-1 cross. They've got tiger stripes, and can jump like one. They'll make an experienced stockamn pull his hair out. But they sure pack on the weight.

And they are probable the most desirable momma cow in the cow world.

I once saw our Charolais bull walk through our fence to check out some "ladies" in the neighbor's pasture. He put his chest in it and walked through it.

ODERINT DUM METUANT
Re: Cow thru fence [Re: ELKMTB] #6873598 08/30/17 02:59 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I've seen Brangus jumped 4 ft fence with ease

seen cows run through barbed wires ( if they can stick their heads in the between the wires they will go )

Re: Cow thru fence [Re: Western] #6873605 08/30/17 03:04 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Western
BOBO, how many big buyers are left now?, When I ran cattle, there where 3-5 main prime buyers I would see a various sale barns, nice bunch of guys that wrote some big checks!

No idea. I haven't been to Jordan's in forever, or Dublin's (since dale sold out) I'm sure it's still the normal capital, JBS, redbone, fry etc. my last two buys where out of Okla city.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cow thru fence [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6873612 08/30/17 03:13 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: Western

No idea. I haven't been to Jordan's in forever, or Dublin's (since dale sold out) I'm sure it's still the normal capital, JBS, redbone, fry etc. my last two buys where out of Okla city.

Been to dublin several times up I cant even recall the names now, but cattleman's sounds familier. Had some fun days at sale barns, but not for everyone

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Cow thru fence [Re: ELKMTB] #6873613 08/30/17 03:13 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Off topic:Jim Schwertner of Capital is as good a guy as you will meet.

Back to topic.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Cow thru fence [Re: blackcoal] #6873682 08/30/17 04:11 PM
E
ELKMTB Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
E
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
I still maintain that I want to see a cow hit a tight fence 3-4 times before going through and leave every wire tight.

Not talking about jumping, or rusty wire, or pushing a fence down.

After she hit it the first time I expected to see her get tangled up or try to jump it. We didn't go over and check it, but did ride by within 10 feet of where she went thru. no sagging wires. My son and I looked at each other like "Did you see that".

Re: Cow thru fence [Re: ELKMTB] #6874093 08/30/17 11:06 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

How does one get south of I-35?

Yelp you don't get to South Texas much. 35 stops in Laredo

Anyway most of STX is F1 type crosses. The love big ears.

I don't spend any time in Mexico, either, which is technically south of I-35. But no matter where F-1 cattle are, they are still psycho.

I've worked and gather just about every Prominent breed in Texas. Worked several barns in Texas.

It's all on who raises them and how they are handled. Gather only once a year with helo's and 4wheelers you have wild cattle. From a kill you stand point, I won't get in a pen or step with in range of a Holstein bull. And I sure as hell will never turn my back to one no matter the distance. Now from a bred does that make Holsteins crazy... the obvious anwser is no.

You can find loose head genes in horse way more then cattle. Whole different level of breeding.

The ones I worked were always eased around. No pressure, no pushing, just ease if they will. Yes the mamas were the most protective cows I've ever seen. Didn't really worry about coyotes with them. But get the yearlings, and younger, in a 1 acre pen, and the rodeo was on, though we tried to calm it.

An aquatance of mine always raised polled Hereford, Angus, or black baldies. Once he got in the F-1's, he segregated them to another pasture, and it was called "The Psych Ward".

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide