Texas Hunting Forum

Cow thru fence

Posted By: ELKMTB

Cow thru fence - 08/29/17 05:29 PM

Saw a full grown cow run thru a 5 strand bobwire fence this weekend. Hit it 3-4 times and then went thru. Wires were still tight after the fact. Assuming that ol girl is sore today. Tough animals.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/29/17 05:48 PM

Would like to see video of that act. Not doubting it, just would like to see it happen.
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/29/17 05:49 PM

I've seen one going barreling through a fence like it was nothing
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/29/17 06:01 PM

They can jump pretty dang well for their size too. I guarantee it
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/29/17 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Would like to see video of that act. Not doubting it, just would like to see it happen.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/29/17 06:24 PM

I have seen full grown (900 lbs ) clear a 5 wire fence, put a nine in that tail and go
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/29/17 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass

Cross a Brahman bull with a Polled Hereford cow, and you have a psycho F-1 cross. They've got tiger stripes, and can jump like one. They'll make an experienced stockamn pull his hair out. But they sure pack on the weight.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/29/17 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Cross a Brahman bull with a Polled Hereford cow, and you have a psycho F-1 cross. They've got tiger stripes, and can jump like one. They'll make an experienced stockamn pull his hair out. But they sure pack on the weight.

I love F-1's.....we had them when I was a kid.....great cross.....

When I was 17 I took a Honda 360 thru a five-wire barbed wire fence running about 70......only took out the middle three wires.....left the top and bottom wires still tight...... up
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/29/17 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: ELKMTB
Saw a full grown cow run thru a 5 strand bobwire fence this weekend. Hit it 3-4 times and then went thru. Wires were still tight after the fact. Assuming that ol girl is sore today. Tough animals.

Seen a Brahman bull clear an 8' pipe fence

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/29/17 08:19 PM

You spend much time south of 10 or 35
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/29/17 08:43 PM

I still maintain that I want to see a cow hit a tight fence 3-4 times before going through and leave every wire tight.

Not talking about jumping, or rusty wire, or pushing a fence down.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/29/17 08:43 PM

Ive seen them go thru a 5-6 wire fence 100 times.

If they wanna go, they go.

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

How does one get south of I-35?
Posted By: ScrapIron

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 02:16 AM

the best is when one of them cows trys jumping and catches her full bag on the top wire...its a bloody mess
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 02:26 AM

Have one that'll come through anytime we need to tag her calf. Lord only knows why I haven't shot her or sent her to the sale barn yet.

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 02:29 AM

Yelp you don't get to South Texas much. 35 stops in Laredo

Anyway most of STX is F1 type crosses. The love big ears.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 02:37 AM

Longhorn bull can jump a fence like a deer.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 03:01 AM

[quote=FiremanJG][quote=BOBO the Clown]

I've got no business in Guatemala either.
Posted By: mr. buck

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 03:37 AM

had a young bull on one of the properties we leased that would easily clear cattle panel with a strand of barbed wire run 12" above the top of the panels. He had the gall to do it twice while I was in the blind. The guy who ranches the property gets a discount on the grazing rights to take care of the hunters and offered to sell him off if we'd pitch in $300. He couldve gotten much more from us.

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 11:33 AM

I don't spend any time in Mexico, either, which is technically south of I-35. But no matter where F-1 cattle are, they are still psycho.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 01:32 PM

I think that my Grandfather was one of the first ranchers to breed the F-1 Brahman/Hereford crosses. We started breeding registered Polled Herefords to Brahman bulls in the late 1940's. While some of them can be "easily excited", others can be dog gentle as demonstrated by the F-1's that my son, Clint raises today. He topped the sale in San Saba last week when he sold some medium bred F-1 heifers for $2,950. The closest thing to his cattle that sold were some three in ones that sold for $700 less.
Yes, we have had some wild ones through the years but I am much to old to put up with that today.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: The Duke

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 01:45 PM

7 strands of barb wire usually keeps them in, but 5 is easy to loose them if they start putting pressure on it.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 02:05 PM

Yup - jump or push, if they WANT to.
Only a good ELECTRIC (combined with stout/tall fence) makes them think twice . . . nuts
Posted By: Western

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 02:19 PM

I've only ever owned "low fence" cattlepeep, but have seen several go through a fence with motivation, bulls can be the worst if they are motivated, but an old ornery cow can be just as crazy. Heck, seen many almost crawl like a monkey out of a loading/handling chute if they were not built proper.

Cows I will sale if they are escape prone, bulls I give a tad more patience on as I remember what it felt like back in those college days grin Fence is just a good deterrent and works for the most part.

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 02:28 PM

I don't spend any time in Mexico, either, which is technically south of I-35. But no matter where F-1 cattle are, they are still psycho.

I've worked and gather just about every Prominent breed in Texas. Worked several barns in Texas.

It's all on who raises them and how they are handled. Gather only once a year with helo's and 4wheelers you have wild cattle. From a kill you stand point, I won't get in a pen or step with in range of a Holstein bull. And I sure as hell will never turn my back to one no matter the distance. Now from a bred does that make Holsteins crazy... the obvious anwser is no.

You can find loose head genes in horse way more then cattle. Whole different level of breeding.

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: gary roberson
I think that my Grandfather was one of the first ranchers to breed the F-1 Brahman/Hereford crosses. We started breeding registered Polled Herefords to Brahman bulls in the late 1940's. While some of them can be "easily excited", others can be dog gentle as demonstrated by the F-1's that my son, Clint raises today. He topped the sale in San Saba last week when he sold some medium bred F-1 heifers for $2,950. The closest thing to his cattle that sold were some three in ones that sold for $700 less.
Yes, we have had some wild ones through the years but I am much to old to put up with that today.
Adios,
Gary

Jordan use to traditionally has some of the best replacement sales in the state. He use to personally specialize in F1's. Don't know if trend continues but way it use to be.

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 02:40 PM

BOBO, how many big buyers are left now?, When I ran cattle, there where 3-5 main prime buyers I would see a various sale barns, nice bunch of guys that wrote some big checks!
Posted By: Savage388

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 02:52 PM

And they are probable the most desirable momma cow in the cow world.

I once saw our Charolais bull walk through our fence to check out some "ladies" in the neighbor's pasture. He put his chest in it and walked through it.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 02:59 PM

I've seen Brangus jumped 4 ft fence with ease

seen cows run through barbed wires ( if they can stick their heads in the between the wires they will go )

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
BOBO, how many big buyers are left now?, When I ran cattle, there where 3-5 main prime buyers I would see a various sale barns, nice bunch of guys that wrote some big checks!

No idea. I haven't been to Jordan's in forever, or Dublin's (since dale sold out) I'm sure it's still the normal capital, JBS, redbone, fry etc. my last two buys where out of Okla city.

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

No idea. I haven't been to Jordan's in forever, or Dublin's (since dale sold out) I'm sure it's still the normal capital, JBS, redbone, fry etc. my last two buys where out of Okla city.

Been to dublin several times up I cant even recall the names now, but cattleman's sounds familier. Had some fun days at sale barns, but not for everyone
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 03:13 PM

Off topic:Jim Schwertner of Capital is as good a guy as you will meet.

Back to topic.
Posted By: ELKMTB

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
I still maintain that I want to see a cow hit a tight fence 3-4 times before going through and leave every wire tight.

Not talking about jumping, or rusty wire, or pushing a fence down.

After she hit it the first time I expected to see her get tangled up or try to jump it. We didn't go over and check it, but did ride by within 10 feet of where she went thru. no sagging wires. My son and I looked at each other like "Did you see that".

Re: Cow thru fence - 08/30/17 11:06 PM

I've worked and gather just about every Prominent breed in Texas. Worked several barns in Texas.

It's all on who raises them and how they are handled. Gather only once a year with helo's and 4wheelers you have wild cattle. From a kill you stand point, I won't get in a pen or step with in range of a Holstein bull. And I sure as hell will never turn my back to one no matter the distance. Now from a bred does that make Holsteins crazy... the obvious anwser is no.

You can find loose head genes in horse way more then cattle. Whole different level of breeding.

The ones I worked were always eased around. No pressure, no pushing, just ease if they will. Yes the mamas were the most protective cows I've ever seen. Didn't really worry about coyotes with them. But get the yearlings, and younger, in a 1 acre pen, and the rodeo was on, though we tried to calm it.

An aquatance of mine always raised polled Hereford, Angus, or black baldies. Once he got in the F-1's, he segregated them to another pasture, and it was called "The Psych Ward".
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum