Print Thread
Article: Effective Game Killing #6602677 12/26/16 07:57 AM
C
chital_shikari Offline OP
Minor in training
OP Offline
Minor in training
C
Came across this website when I was obsessing over a new rifle for the 2016 THF Group Elk hunt...hah

Reading it now, but I am really liking it!

Thoughts, comments, concerns, contentions?

Ballistic Studies "Effective Game Killing"

Re: Article: Effective Game Killing [Re: chital_shikari] #6602837 12/26/16 03:32 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
That guy is very long winded. Generally, I liked the article, but at the same time, I did note some problems in some areas.

I found it interesting that he was careful to clearly explain the difference of hydraulic shock and hydrostatic shock and to note how people use them incorrectly and then proceeded to use hydraulic shock incorrectly...

Hydraulic shock is the civil engineers term also known as water hammer but in terminal ballistics context refers to the pressure of accelerated fluid particles that create the temporary wound channel.

Hydrostatic shock transfer refers to the effect when shock waves travel through flesh to distant nerve centers, disrupting their ability to emit electrical impulses.

With frangible bullets at low velocities, instant coma may be due to hydraulic shock causing blood pressure spikes in the brain as suggested by Hornady ballisticians.

So unless there is a temporary wound cavity going through the brain, the damage noted would be hydrostatic, not hydraulic.

As with most hog illustrations, his anatomy on the hog has at least one significant mistake and here there are multiple mistakes. It shows the cervical vertebrae connecting far too high on the skull. In the image provided, the vertebrae should connect much lower down, about where you see the top of the mandible in the image. More like here...

[img:center]http://natalyazahn.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a63266f6970b0133f40bcb3c970b-pi[/img]

His drawing also has the smallest set of lungs I have ever seen on a hog and a very small liver and located too far high and back from the lungs as well. The location he indicates for the liver would appear to be the spleen.

I am confused by his discussion of animals being shot and put into a coma due to hydrostatic shock, and then noting that pigs and bears may merely be knocked unconscious, virtually sleeping, and then wake up suddenly. Are they in a coma or not. In the early text, the claim would be coma, but later, just merely unconscious. The difference seems to be one of whether or not the animal manages to wake up before dying, which is not a valid distinction.

Later in a figure, he describes an animal that made it just one step before expiring. I have to wonder how he knew it made just one step and expired, or simply went unconscious (or is it a coma?) and the later expired?

This statement was just plain silly...

Visible indicators of a gut shot include a deep audible ‘whock’ sound as the bullet strikes...

I have never seen a 'whock' sound, though I understand that people on LSD report seeing sounds.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Article: Effective Game Killing [Re: chital_shikari] #6606579 12/29/16 01:56 PM
G
Gone to Texas Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Great article, thanks for posting!

I wish DRT made 7mm bullets...

Re: Article: Effective Game Killing [Re: chital_shikari] #6607969 12/30/16 02:33 PM
B
BrushyHillGuide Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Way too wordy for me. It doesn't take that much to discuss terminal performance.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide