T
Wear a panther costume.

Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: TFF Caribou] #6566927 12/01/16 02:25 PM
S
spro Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I have a very similar situation as you do but the cows rarely bother me. 20 cows on 120 acres. They will follow my truck. I park at camp, they gather around, I walk to my stand and they don't follow. Rarely do they end up near my blind. At the beginning of the season I did have them gather around the stand. I chased them off a few times and no problems since.

Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: TFF Caribou] #6566978 12/01/16 02:53 PM
H
Houstonkid2 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
I sat down with the livestock and wildlife out at my place and we all had a big come to Jesus meeting. We are all on the same page now and everyone gets along fine. Sorry for the bad image, I was zoomed in on my phone.

Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: TFF Caribou] #6567006 12/01/16 03:06 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Cut the fence in several locations around the property. Problem solved.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: maximum] #6567048 12/01/16 03:20 PM
L
lsbrim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: maximum
feeder pen
wrist rocket
sack of marbles at family dollar store

Now this sounds fun!!!!!!!!!

Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: TFF Caribou] #6567055 12/01/16 03:25 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Oh and if you want to have a better shot at seeing some deer then get your feeder fixed up

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: lsbrim] #6567081 12/01/16 03:36 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: lsbrim
Originally Posted By: maximum
feeder pen
wrist rocket
sack of marbles at family dollar store

Now this sounds fun!!!!!!!!!

Pull that on my place and you'll get the wrist rocket turned on you and then told to not return. Pick your feeder and blind up after I pile them up outside the gate.

Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: redchevy] #6567082 12/01/16 03:36 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Oh and if you want to have a better shot at seeing some deer then get your feeder fixed up

It is now. I just gotta get back out there and fill it back up. I will say, that is one issue a feeder pen would have solved. The cows knocked my feeder over, and a wire came loose. So I had to take the unit home and fix it. I will have a feeder pen up by next season. I just didn't even know cows were being put on the place until a week before season.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: TFF Caribou] #6567095 12/01/16 03:42 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Are there pens on place? Call them up, give them some hay, and pen them while you hunt is an option. After a few days of being rewarded with hay they'll be waiting for you in the pens.

Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: TFF Caribou] #6567123 12/01/16 03:56 PM
lawndart956 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
So has anyone mentioned you might need a pen around your feeder yet?....just checking.

bolt

Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: 8pointdrop] #6567129 12/01/16 04:03 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Are there pens on place? Call them up, give them some hay, and pen them while you hunt is an option. After a few days of being rewarded with hay they'll be waiting for you in the pens.

I wouldn't be comfortable doing that. They aren't my cows. And if the cattle owner came by while I was hunting I'd imagine that wouldnt go well for me.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: TFF Caribou] #6567395 12/01/16 07:06 PM
J
jjason Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
need a pen around your feeder, I to wanted to make sure you know this works clap

Seriously , I have the answer to your problem.. Here is what we did.. Keep in mind , we pay for this as a deer lease from friends of mine for over 25 years about 400 acres . The fees are extremely affordable to todays standard , but they also leased it for cows for many years. we never griped about the cows to them , since they were bring them a income.Now here is the secrete .

WE (5) of us... LEASED THE CATTLE RIGHTS too..

Haven't ran a cow out there since, the family that owns it is happy, and we are happy.. our 4 feeders are happy, our 12 acres of food plots are real happy. Even the deer seem more happy to die without the cows there as witnesses.

Heck , your hunting for free, cattle rights on a 100 acres cant be too bad

Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: jjason] #6567414 12/01/16 07:25 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: jjason
need a pen around your feeder, I to wanted to make sure you know this works clap

Seriously , I have the answer to your problem.. Here is what we did.. Keep in mind , we pay for this as a deer lease from friends of mine for over 25 years about 400 acres . The fees are extremely affordable to todays standard , but they also leased it for cows for many years. we never griped about the cows to them , since they were bring them a income.Now here is the secrete .

WE (5) of us... LEASED THE CATTLE RIGHTS too..

Haven't ran a cow out there since, the family that owns it is happy, and we are happy.. our 4 feeders are happy, our 12 acres of food plots are real happy. Even the deer seem more happy to die without the cows there as witnesses.

Heck , your hunting for free, cattle rights on a 100 acres cant be too bad

just have to remember that the county extension agent might give the landowners a call about no livestock on the property and Ag exemption rules. you might want to toss a few head on it in Feb./March thru early/mid summer to keep Ag exemption on the up and up.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: TFF Caribou] #6567518 12/01/16 09:12 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I was waiting for someone else to bring that up. You may be doing a terrible injustice to the land owner if the extension agent is an assss and he takes away their AG Exemption. You cannot keep an AG exemption just because someone leases you land to put cattle on.....there has to physically be cattle on the property to keep it. Not the entire year, but at least part of the year. Once taken away, it takes a minimum of 5 years of in this case running cattle before the landowner can get the AG exemption back. So for those five years his taxes will go through the roof.
Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong but that is my understanding of the law.

Last edited by Mr. T.; 12/01/16 09:14 PM.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: Mr. T.] #6567541 12/01/16 09:32 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
I was waiting for someone else to bring that up. You may be doing a terrible injustice to the land owner if the extension agent is an assss and he takes away their AG Exemption. You cannot keep an AG exemption just because someone leases you land to put cattle on.....there has to physically be cattle on the property to keep it. Not the entire year, but at least part of the year. Once taken away, it takes a minimum of 5 years of in this case running cattle before the landowner can get the AG exemption back. So for those five years his taxes will go through the roof.
Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong but that is my understanding of the law.

You are correct, but cattle aren't the only way to skin the ag exemption cat. May be for that property though, unless they get a wildlife exemption. Mine is hay and planted pine timber. Each tract is different.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: TexFlip] #6567561 12/01/16 09:52 PM
T
Texasredneck70 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Bring a couple sacks of range cubes for them. Should buy you a little time.

Works perfect

Barry

Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6567608 12/01/16 10:30 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.

You are correct, but cattle aren't the only way to skin the ag exemption cat. May be for that property though, unless they get a wildlife exemption. Mine is hay and planted pine timber. Each tract is different.

correct ... not only cattle or some form of livestock. but would be hard to claim hay if it was fairly dense with woods. Can also go to a Wildlife improvement management plan (that has to be approved by county extension agent) and followed annually. The problem with the Wildlife improvement management exemption, you can no longer claim Ag exempt and get an Ag exempt sales tax number. I found that out after I converted my place over to Wildlife improvement and had to switch all my trailers off farm tags ($5/year versus $70-95+/year)

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: TFF Caribou] #6567741 12/02/16 12:09 AM
Cattleman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Bird shot or rock salt out of a 12 gauge works pretty good. up

Last edited by Cattleman; 12/02/16 12:11 AM.
Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: Cattleman] #6567794 12/02/16 01:01 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Cattleman
Bird shot or rock salt out of a 12 gauge works pretty good. up

That seems like a terrible idea. "Cattleman"

Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: TFF Caribou] #6567927 12/02/16 02:33 AM
S
samh Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Unbelievable......wrist rocket and marbles, leave gate open, cut fence, rock salt and shot gun? Bad advice all with legal implications and possible jail time.
Cows are part of it so are pumpers, pecan harvesting, noisey roadways, noisey nieghbors, nieghbors dog, and the blind next door being on the fence line.
If you don't like your lease get a new one or like already suggested get the grass lease and lighten the load on the pasture. Sounds like the pasture is over grazed which should make it easy to take over the lease. You already have an in.
Cows and deer cohabitate very well they mostly eat different vegetation. Cows will pass by the corn if it isnt piled up. Use a feeder with the bigger motor and put longer legs on it then drive posts on each leg to anchor it.
I have been leasing places to hunt for almost 30 years and have always hunted around cows. I have watched deer and cows graze together in the wheat and had to wait for cows to move in order to take a shot several times.
The only time I have seen cows hurt hunting is when a place is over grazed, but that isn't the cows it is the guy with the grass lease not giving a crap about the land he is leasing. A piece of land can only support so much life and once over grazed may take years to come back.
The place I hunt right now has a huge angus bull that was bottle fed and raised in a house around a family. He is the most docile and friendly bull I have ever been around. My 23 year old son didnt know about him. One morning after we pulled in the gate and parked my son was standing in the door of the truck putting on his bibs and coat when the big black bull pooked his enormous head into the open door cornering my son. My son freaked out.....was very funny. Then the bull followed me to my blind and laid down under it. Made great cover for all my noise walking in in the dark.

Re: Cows are ruining my season [Re: TFF Caribou] #6567973 12/02/16 03:13 AM
Cattleman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Trust me the cows are bothering you more than the deer. Hunt in a pausture with 200-400 in it like I do you'll see. I just put pens around my feeders and I don't have a problem. Now the morons that lease from us that don't put pens around there feeders I don't feel sorry for. They get schooled pretty quick.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide