Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6525637 11/03/16 05:28 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
the year before (1962) I started hunting with my dad, there was a guy that hunted in his crew and had for years ...

They were hunting on the east side of Lake Buchanan in the rugged area of south Morgan creek. The LO had mentioned to the hunters that something had been killing his goats and sheep and figured it was a mountain lion since several area ranchers had briefly seen one in the area. One crisp morning, one of the guys started hearing a screaming noise and figured it was one of the other hunters pulling a prank on him since they had talked about the mountain lion the night before. He crawled down from the rocky perch he was sitting on to go investigate. A couple hundred yards later of creeping along, he finds some blood on the ground and hears a snap of a limb in the tree he was standing under. As he looked up, there was a full grown mountain lion with a dead nanny goat about 10 feet off the ground up in the oak tree looking down at him. In his mind, the shouldered his lever action 30/30 and start pumping lead, the mountain lion never flinched and slowly worked its way down the tree leaving the goat behind, comes down the tree and walks within a few feet of the hunter and disappears into the brush. It was about that time the hunter realized it had scared him so bad, that he froze and had never lifted his rifle. He walked back to camp, leaned his gun up in the corner, grabbed the rest of his gear and left.

several years later dad talked to the guy and got the story from him ... his rifle was still in the small camp house when our hunting crew packed up to move to a different lease several years later. He never went back in the woods, cold turkey gave up hunting. True story!

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Pintail711] #6525654 11/03/16 05:36 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Pintail711
Originally Posted By: titan2232
Originally Posted By: Pintail711
Cool stories. I don't understand why some people get scared...you've got a gun, and may even be carrying a side arm. Unload both weapons and the creatures still get you, well I suppose it was your time.

I don't believe that guns matter much if the things these people see truly exists.

I agree, but I wouldn't let something scare me so bad that I completely stop hunting all together.

I don't believe in ghosts so we're on the same page up

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6526677 11/04/16 12:58 PM
A
Age N Score ? Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
rofl

I Feed Indian Corn. The deer love it and all the colors make them stay at the feeder longer.
Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6526882 11/04/16 03:06 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
After reading all this, it would be a bad time for my hunting buddies to play a prank on me and jump out of the bushes as I am walking to the stand in the dark. Both my rifle and 9mm would be empty before I said, "Who's there." I might have to call a few of you as witness at the trial. lol

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6526979 11/04/16 04:07 PM
J
JYG71 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
worst I've had lately is large hogs challenging me for the feeder at 5am. Had em snapping at my heels while trying to get high enough with the climber. Bastards.....

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6527700 11/05/16 08:31 AM
N
N.La.Beagler Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Swamp Rabbit, I'm a member of Bayou Bucks too. I read some of those stories last year.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6528547 11/06/16 06:00 AM
N
New Hunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
I read on a forum post somewhere that a hunter found a person chained to a tree...but it had been so long the person was dead and in advanced state of decay...skull was visible. Scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaary.

Last edited by New Hunter; 11/06/16 06:00 AM.
Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6537337 11/10/16 04:24 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Any new stories out there?

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: DirtNapTET] #6537435 11/10/16 05:26 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: DirtNapTET
Any new stories out there?

Tuesday night we had a fairly good chance of ending up with Hellary as our president - how's that for scary? eek2

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6537618 11/10/16 07:05 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
My son got his first deer this past weekend and as we were driving up to pick it up he asked "What's that?" I asked what. He said "Listen" it was the sounds of American Indians singing very faintly. I made sure the car radio was off but I still heard it. There is always something going on at my place but that gave me a very calming feeling.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6537766 11/10/16 08:32 PM
R
Redskins4ever Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Michael Myers is my hero...........

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: New Hunter] #6537893 11/10/16 09:51 PM
S
southtexascracker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: New Hunter
I read on a forum post somewhere that a hunter found a person chained to a tree...but it had been so long the person was dead and in advanced state of decay...skull was visible. Scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaary.

I think that was in the "Weird things found while hunting" thread on here. Someone found a dead body tied to a tree with barbed wire.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6538565 11/11/16 04:43 AM
P
phat694 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I posted this one back in 2013

About 10 years ago I was hunting on our farm in Kansas. I had driven up the night before and got in about 11pm that night (a 6 hour drive). My uncle told me that I was going to be hunting on a neighbors place because my cousins and other uncle where going to be set up around our farm and the adjacent property. I told him no problem since I knew the neighbor well. My Uncle woke me up about 4:30am the next morning to get ready and so that Id have plenty of time to walk to the spot he wanted me to hunt since I really didn't know the area as good as him, he dropped me off and told me to follow the fence line west about a half mile then follow the creek north until I climb up a hill then sit in a stand of trees. No big deal. It takes me about 35 minutes to walk and find the spot. All the time thinking dang, there aint NOTHING out here, no lights, no farm houses, no cattle. I set up under this cedar tree and listen to the sound of a few crickets and the creek running by, I soon doze off. I wake up about an hour later feeling as if something was watching me. It was still about 30 minutes until light. I though it might me a deer or some livestock but I wasn't sure anything was out there. So my senses slightly more heightened I catch a small whiff of smoke, like a little campfire. The wind was blowing ever so slightly so I though it might be from a farm house or maybe just "wood smells" since i was not that familiar with the area I was in I kinda disregarded it. Several minutes later that smell is noticeably stronger and now I can definitely tell it is campfire smoke but from where? NO ONE is out here and there isn't a farm house for several miles. It still isn't light yet and I am getting worried that another hunter is out here. Eventually the smokey smell dies down and disappears leaving me clueless as to what it was. Right around dawn I start to hear some foot steps in the dead leaves and grass. I'm ready to see a nice buck or doe but it still isn't quite light enough yet and all I can see is a faint shadow about 40 yards away. Still kinda nervous about the smoke smell my 23 year old mind is racing with thoughts about what might be out there. I can hear small twigs breaking every minute or two. My heart rate is up. The morning sun starts to peak over the horizon casting eerie shadows of dead trees, limbs and scrub brush. Its creepy. Still keeping an eye on what I 'think' is a deer moving through the brush I start to smell the campfire smoke again. I then hear some more movement behind me about 50 yards or so, some ground rustling of dead leaves (kinda like what a squirrel would make). I'm trying to stay calm while my adrenaline is pumping. I start to get worried that another hunter is out here. I have on my orange vest so they will surely see me when the sun is up. The sun is about half way over the horizon now and the activity has slowed down the the campfire smell is still in the air. The walking noise from the first object increases and it sounds like foot steps. I still cant make anything out yet but I can for sure see movement in the brush about 40 yards out, something IS there. Its cold (I'm shaking but only because its cold) and Im getting a little anxious about being in an area that I really don't know and the creepy things going on around me are still filling my mind. A few minutes pass and I start to hear the slightest sounds of what I think are 2 voices. So by now I'm pretty sure there are other people around me but my uncle said no one would be out here and the old neighbor doesn't hunt any more. I'm thinking poachers, great. The air seams to get colder and more still as the campfire smell goes away. I still feel that there is something watching me and the shadow in the distance has vanished, no movement, no sounds, nothing. The air is really heavy now. I'm officially freaked out. I start to move out, slowly trying not to make a sound, watching where I step. I walk about 20 feet, standing straight up I look to my right and then left, something is watching me. I freeze and hear voices but I cannot make out what they are saying. At this time I'm done hunting, I just want to get back to the road. I make my way out of the trees and down the small hill following the creek. I stop to catch my breath about 100 yards out I turn around and watch for a while to see if anything comes out into the field that dead ends into the grove of trees Nope, nothing. I make my way back to the road and eventually my Uncle picks me up. He asks how my hunt went and if I had seen anything. I tell him that there are some other people back in there and I left out a while after sun up. I tell him my story and what happened. He told me it would be very unlikely that poachers or another hunter would be back there because the field is to muddy to have a vehicle run through it and no one would have a way to cross the creek. There are no vehicle tracks in the field or foot prints around and most folks in this area would bury a poacher if they found one trespassing or otherwise.

He then tells me that we he was little, him and my grand dad would find arrow heads, broken pottery pieces and other artifacts back in along the creek and up to the trees where I was hunting. I had researched the area when I got back home after the weekend, I found out that the Osage Indians (Wazhazhe tribe) lived in that area in the 1700-1800's. I still get the goosebumps when I think about that time in the woods.

Patrick Casteel | REALTOR
Repeat Realty, LLC | Direct: 214-494-9265
patrick@repeatre.com | www.RepeatRealty.com
[Linked Image]
Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6930068 10/23/17 05:10 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Bump!

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6931488 10/24/17 04:34 PM
B
bkj Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Cool!

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6931592 10/24/17 05:50 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Went to check my son's game cam and feeder this weekend. Not a speck of corn on the ground and a ton of tracks. Not one single picture on the cam. Its either going to cost me money or the deer are now invisible. Both scenarios are scary.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: hook_n_line] #6931595 10/24/17 05:53 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
Went to check my son's game cam and feeder this weekend. Not a speck of corn on the ground and a ton of tracks. Not one single picture on the cam. Its either going to cost me money or the deer are now invisible. Both scenarios are scary.

Sasquatch can't be photographed....... confused2

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6931603 10/24/17 05:58 PM
D
D'hanis Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Keep em comin... I spent 40 minutes of my work day reading these yesterday roflmao

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6932308 10/25/17 01:45 AM
T
TexasRider Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Hi all,

First time posting because a closed mouth encourages open ears and trying to pick up wisdom from you guys but I have a story that’s relevant.

Many years ago I was attending week long leadership camp in Scouts in a camp a bit south of Athens TX near Murchison lake. I remember this even though it was decades ago because I marked a map after this happened because it shook me so bad. The arrangement of the camp was such that the scouts were separated from the adults a ways so a group of us decided to go walking around after dark. We only had a couple flashlights but the moon was bright and we could see enough to roam a ways so we took off like kids do just to see what we could find to get in trouble with. We probably walked about an hour away from camp and then doubled back. We were louder going out but as it got later we got more tired and were more or less quietly making our way back.
We were crossing a break in the woods where those big power lines cut across the property and took a break since it was brighter there than the woods. While we were standing there one of the guys said he saw movement close to the next pylon down and we figured we were busted so everyone squatted down lights out and froze. We had already gotten chewed out earlier in the week for being out of our tents after lights out. While we were whispering plans on how to get back undetected we all clearly saw a shadowy figure walk from the edge of the woods toward the pylon. First thing that jumped out at me was the fact the figure wasn’t using a flashlight which was weird since we expected scoutmasters. The figure stopped at the leg of the pylon and turned to look right at us. Nobody moved and after what seemed forever it turned back and walked on heading away from camp. We sat there for a second when someone whispered “did you see how tall that thing was?” I had noticed because it was almost to the number plate on the leg of the pylon and the one on our pylon was a couple feet above my head so maybe 7-8 foot high. We decided to haul [censored] back to camp and literally ran the whole way.
We talked about it that night and every one of us saw it and every one of us was scared out of our minds but being full of piss and vinegar we laughed it off. The next day I talked to one of the guys who was from my troop and we agreed that whatever it was was not a man. Several of us from the night group decided to walk back at high noon to look at where it was. The ground was rock hard so no tracks and the grass too sparse to even see if anything was there but we confirmed the number plate was at least 7-8 feet high. We argued over the impossibility so I ran to our pylon to see how the teens looked for reference. What we saw was really really big I because they were way below the plate. We know the figure was in the pylon legs because we could tell it walked between the legs (we saw it walk behind one pylon leg but in front of another we were all positive).
I think 99% of the Bigfoot crap I see is absolute bs but I am absolutely convinced that if such a thing exists we saw it that night and all these years later I remain convinced we saw something that fit no known description of any living thing I know of and maintain a healthy respect for things that walk in the dark woods even though I love the outdoors.

Laugh if you will but had to share this.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6932408 10/25/17 02:44 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
The wife and I were pig hunting in a 20ft tower blind one night, it was very still out and cool. It was well past 10:00 when we heard foot steps coming up the stairs, we even felt the movement of the blind with the steps. Yes, I had the gun on the door. We shined a flashlight out the windows and there wasn't anyone there.
That was somewhat disturbing, so we picked up and left. As we were walking away I was in full alert mode looking around with a flashlight, gun in hand. I shined my light back towards the stand and got a reflection of eyes from the blind window, like deer in the headlights. I never shared that fact with my wife. It all could have just been wind gusts and reflections that night, but imagination sure got us back to camp as fast as the Ranger would go.
I still hunt that blind at night, never had anything like that happen again.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6934072 10/26/17 03:24 AM
B
Bull_Rope Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
About 15 years ago, I had the opportunity to hunt a family friends place, down in south Texas (Junction area). A group of us had hunted this place, the week after Thanksgiving for a couple of years. Most of our hunting bunch are Monday-Friday, 8-5 type guys but I work swing shift, so that particular year, I got off of work that Thursday morning and was off until the following Monday. As such, I was anxious to get out of town and get to deer camp, so I set out that afternoon and made the drive down 377...Stephenville, Brady, Hard 8, Menard, etc.

None of the other guys could get off work so none of them were due in camp until that Friday evening. Hunting camp was an old farm house that was 80 years old, and out in the middle of nowhere, but still in pretty decent shape. It was an old wooden house, that sat at the edge of a clearing, on an old oak grove, along the Llano. It used to be an old ranching operation owned by the Kingfisher family from what I understand, but it was such a great place.

I hit camp that evening, about an hour before dark. I pulled up and got out of the truck and stepped over to a tree where I knew the key would be to the front door. I stepped up on the porch and put the key in the lock, but the door opened in my hand before I unlocked it. No big deal. I figured my friends brother had left ut unlocked by accident as they were in camp, the week before. Nevertheless. I flipped on the living room light and sat my backpack down when I heard a calvalcade of rushed stomping and foot steps across the wooden floors. I took off out of the front door and hopped in my truck and jacked the lever on my 30-30, ready for whatever was coming.

Nothing or nobody came out of the front door for about 45 minutes so I finally worked up the courage to go back in. Nobody was there. I found a half full coffee pot, still warm in the kitchen,the backdoor wide open, several plates of half eaten dinner and several tattered backpack/bed rools in the various bedrooms. It seems that I had interrupted dinner for a travelling bunch of illegals who were squatting in the old farmhouse.

I was by myself and didnt know what to do, so I moved all of the backpack/bedrolls to the back porch and propped them up with the rest of the bottled water. We had flat screen tv's, radios and DVD players in there but all that they took was the water, the toilet paper and a little bit of canned food.

I locked all the doors and
"slept" on the couch with my pistol, ready to go. It was a damn long night, with nothing but the light of the radio and Johnny Cash playing.

The next morning, I made ready to hunt, grabbed all of my gear and stepped on The porch. All of their bedrolls were gone. It was both alarming and comforting. They didn't want any trouble with me. They just wanted to grab their supplies and go.

Last edited by Bull_Rope; 10/26/17 03:29 AM.
Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6934368 10/26/17 01:56 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
A really good friend of mine was married on opening weekend of bow season back when I bow hunted a lot. Even spookier, he asked me to be in the wedding. Even spookier, he was a big time bow hunter too and allowed in bride to pick the date. It gets better; he let his displeasure with the wedding date be known and it showed before, during and after the wedding. There is a happy ending however; they were divorced a few years later and he got to start bow hunting opening weekend again.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: SnakeWrangler] #6934409 10/26/17 02:24 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line

Sasquatch can't be photographed....... confused2

Not true. Just can't get a good photo. rofl

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6934612 10/26/17 04:10 PM
X
xitnet Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
X
Good one hook_N_line. clap

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? [Re: Bittercreek] #6934956 10/26/17 08:44 PM
B
Brian C. Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Yup might be my favorite thread

God Bless Texas!!! Godspeed our Military!
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide