Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight [Re: flintknapper] #6508707 10/24/16 02:47 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: flintknapper
Put him on the ground, get his lower jaw and we will see.

Don't think he's as ancient as everyone thinks he is.

Tooth aging is far from perfect. It is interesting to put several approaches together fore deer aging. We put out cameras and try to age them, look at teeth, and have a couple years of history with a few deer and still don't really know how old they are.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight [Re: redchevy] #6508791 10/24/16 03:16 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Tooth aging is far from perfect. It is interesting to put several approaches together fore deer aging. We put out cameras and try to age them, look at teeth, and have a couple years of history with a few deer and still don't really know how old they are.

I shot a doe once that I was made aware of when she picked up a rock and started chewing on it behind me. Heard this weird sound, turned around, and she was just chomping away and eventually spit out a golf ball sized piece of limestone. Not sure if it has some sort of mineral in it she needed, but it was bizarre. Anyhow, she wasn't an old deer, maybe 3 and her teeth were worn dang near out. I'm guessing the rock chewing did it.

Point being: What they're eating has a drastic effect on tooth wear. Agree that it's a far from perfect technique.

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight [Re: cameron00] #6508903 10/24/16 04:17 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: cameron00
Originally Posted By: redchevy

I shot a doe once that I was made aware of when she picked up a rock and started chewing on it behind me. Heard this weird sound, turned around, and she was just chomping away and eventually spit out a golf ball sized piece of limestone. Not sure if it has some sort of mineral in it she needed, but it was bizarre. Anyhow, she wasn't an old deer, maybe 3 and her teeth were worn dang near out. I'm guessing the rock chewing did it.

Point being: What they're eating has a drastic effect on tooth wear. Agree that it's a far from perfect technique.

Agree 100 % that it is not a 'perfect' technique, but when combined with other physical features of the buck, would give us a much more accurate idea of the age of the animal.

In the picture provided we have but one view and it is of limited value. Until we can see a broadside picture of the animal...it is not really possible to determine the animals true physique.

Its a Mature animal...no doubt. But the amount of belly drop, back sway, roman nose, etc....simply can not be seen. I don't see any 'loose' looking skin/hide on the animal (in this pic).

The eyes are not 'squinted' (as with many really old deer). We can't see if the buck has a 'dew lap' under its chin/jaw (often present on healthy older deer). The 'gray' some say they see...appears to me to only be lighter (possibly yellow colored) hair, not uncommon.

The enlarged looking knee joints can be a product of the terrain the buck lives in (rocky, rugged terrain takes a toll on joints).

Then we have to consider that a buck (unless under high-fence/managed) is unlikely to live past 6-1/2 yrs of age most places (normal hunting pressure). So the idea that this animal is ancient or 7-9 yrs. old becomes less likely.

Without having more to go on than a single photo, I can't get into the 'post mature' camp with this animal. To me it is not CLEAR that this animal is any older than 5-1/2 to 6-1/2.

Most folks can accurately 'guess' the age of bucks from 1.5 to 4.5 years. After that...even experienced outdoorsmen/biologists have trouble 'accurately' hitting the mark IF they have no other history with the animal. Of course, that applies to me too. That is why I would want to see other pictures of the animal and know more about the habitat.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight [Re: BowsnRods] #6509519 10/24/16 09:30 PM
J
jdd912 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
In that pose he looks like a mount that has been hanging in a bar for the past 30 years. Ancient ole guy. Would love to shoot something that old.

And I completely disagree with the notion that a buck can't live to be 8-9 y/o(normal hunting pressure) He may not be something that has passed by a hunter that has wanted to shoot him. May be on a place thats 5000 acres. Tons of factors in that.

And for me a post mature deer is older than 5.5.

5.5 is maxed out(post mature) on my place and I know some places differ in mgt strategies and let bucks get older before shooting. Just think it depends on where your at. That buck is in the hill country and is older than mosquitos.

Bowsnrods you have any more pictures of this guy?

Last edited by jdd912; 10/24/16 09:38 PM.
Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight [Re: BowsnRods] #6509626 10/24/16 10:40 PM
B
BowsnRods Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Yes sir, I will post by Wednesday. He is post mature and in a high fence. He is also a protein baby. I call him Rudy, when I compare him to other bucks on ranch. He will not back down to anyone but normally finds himself lacking the linebacker size.

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight [Re: BowsnRods] #6510042 10/25/16 02:18 AM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
On the Decline

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight [Re: BowsnRods] #6510055 10/25/16 02:29 AM
J
Jasb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity