Texas Hunting Forum

Thoughts on Age and Weight

Posted By: BowsnRods

Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/21/16 05:33 PM

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Thoughts on Age - 10/21/16 05:36 PM

post mature imo... 7-8 got any more pics?
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Thoughts on Age - 10/21/16 05:38 PM

Old man, lots of white in his face and head
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Thoughts on Age - 10/21/16 05:47 PM

Senior citizen.. rifle
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Thoughts on Age - 10/21/16 05:49 PM

Really old man there that has had a long life!
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Thoughts on Age - 10/21/16 05:51 PM

Ancient. Weight? About 160 on the hoof.

Re: Thoughts on Age - 10/21/16 08:41 PM

Yep, he is an old one for sure and will probably die of old age. He has always been an 8pt and this year his mass seemed to increase from years past as did his belly.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Thoughts on Age - 10/21/16 08:44 PM

Too old to only have that head gear
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Thoughts on Age - 10/22/16 01:39 AM

I wouldn't rush to judgment on the age. Need some more photos. Profile and in better light.

I don't think that buck is quite as old as some think.

Nice double throat patch on it.
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/22/16 02:07 AM

Posted By: sbushee

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/22/16 04:13 AM

He's on the down hill slide as far has bone goes. He's past 7
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/22/16 06:28 AM

rifle

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/22/16 03:20 PM

Mature, but I disagree (based on this photo alone) with those who think he is 'Post Mature'.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/23/16 11:34 AM

7-9. 175

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/23/16 02:49 PM

Where was the game cam picture taken? Looks like the Hill Country or nearby.

Average Weight (on the hoof) will vary greatly one region to another.

Still would like to see some different pics.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/23/16 02:59 PM

Beautiful buck.... He's a rifle
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/23/16 06:43 PM

Post mature-7+ from that one pic. He is bug eyed, gray around his eyes/ears, knobby kneed, setting down on his hooves, bull hump over his shoulders, width in his brisket/front shoulders, deep chested....He looks to be smaller framed so I don't think he is that large a bodied buck.

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/23/16 07:44 PM

I watched this buck this morning, he is old 7 or 8 short bodied but very stocky. His tracks look like a baby calf. I am going to guess his live weight at 170+

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/23/16 07:45 PM

Did you ask him what it was like to watch the buffalo roam that area years ago? grin

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/23/16 07:51 PM

He said you disturbed his bedding area putting that blind at the base of the mountain, he had to set up a new homestead near the goat shed.

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/23/16 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: BowsnRods
He said you disturbed his bedding area putting that blind at the base of the mountain, he had to set up a new homestead near the goat shed.

That was on the spotlight survey in 2002 when he was a spike grin
Posted By: don k

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/23/16 08:01 PM

Could it be what you were feeding him made him mature faster than normal and he is actually only 3?

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/23/16 08:07 PM

Might be Don, could have been his great grandfather that spoke of the great white man Stx traveling through our great country in covered wagon chasing the Buffalo. How old are you Stx.

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/23/16 08:51 PM

Put him on the ground, get his lower jaw and we will see.

Don't think he's as ancient as everyone thinks he is.
Posted By: cobryan

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/24/16 12:48 PM

Flintknapper, how old do you think he is if he is not post mature?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/24/16 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: flintknapper

Tooth aging is far from perfect. It is interesting to put several approaches together fore deer aging. We put out cameras and try to age them, look at teeth, and have a couple years of history with a few deer and still don't really know how old they are.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/24/16 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Tooth aging is far from perfect. It is interesting to put several approaches together fore deer aging. We put out cameras and try to age them, look at teeth, and have a couple years of history with a few deer and still don't really know how old they are.

I shot a doe once that I was made aware of when she picked up a rock and started chewing on it behind me. Heard this weird sound, turned around, and she was just chomping away and eventually spit out a golf ball sized piece of limestone. Not sure if it has some sort of mineral in it she needed, but it was bizarre. Anyhow, she wasn't an old deer, maybe 3 and her teeth were worn dang near out. I'm guessing the rock chewing did it.

Point being: What they're eating has a drastic effect on tooth wear. Agree that it's a far from perfect technique.

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/24/16 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
Originally Posted By: redchevy

I shot a doe once that I was made aware of when she picked up a rock and started chewing on it behind me. Heard this weird sound, turned around, and she was just chomping away and eventually spit out a golf ball sized piece of limestone. Not sure if it has some sort of mineral in it she needed, but it was bizarre. Anyhow, she wasn't an old deer, maybe 3 and her teeth were worn dang near out. I'm guessing the rock chewing did it.

Point being: What they're eating has a drastic effect on tooth wear. Agree that it's a far from perfect technique.

Agree 100 % that it is not a 'perfect' technique, but when combined with other physical features of the buck, would give us a much more accurate idea of the age of the animal.

In the picture provided we have but one view and it is of limited value. Until we can see a broadside picture of the animal...it is not really possible to determine the animals true physique.

Its a Mature animal...no doubt. But the amount of belly drop, back sway, roman nose, etc....simply can not be seen. I don't see any 'loose' looking skin/hide on the animal (in this pic).

The eyes are not 'squinted' (as with many really old deer). We can't see if the buck has a 'dew lap' under its chin/jaw (often present on healthy older deer). The 'gray' some say they see...appears to me to only be lighter (possibly yellow colored) hair, not uncommon.

The enlarged looking knee joints can be a product of the terrain the buck lives in (rocky, rugged terrain takes a toll on joints).

Then we have to consider that a buck (unless under high-fence/managed) is unlikely to live past 6-1/2 yrs of age most places (normal hunting pressure). So the idea that this animal is ancient or 7-9 yrs. old becomes less likely.

Without having more to go on than a single photo, I can't get into the 'post mature' camp with this animal. To me it is not CLEAR that this animal is any older than 5-1/2 to 6-1/2.

Most folks can accurately 'guess' the age of bucks from 1.5 to 4.5 years. After that...even experienced outdoorsmen/biologists have trouble 'accurately' hitting the mark IF they have no other history with the animal. Of course, that applies to me too. That is why I would want to see other pictures of the animal and know more about the habitat.
Posted By: jdd912

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/24/16 09:30 PM

In that pose he looks like a mount that has been hanging in a bar for the past 30 years. Ancient ole guy. Would love to shoot something that old.

And I completely disagree with the notion that a buck can't live to be 8-9 y/o(normal hunting pressure) He may not be something that has passed by a hunter that has wanted to shoot him. May be on a place thats 5000 acres. Tons of factors in that.

And for me a post mature deer is older than 5.5.

5.5 is maxed out(post mature) on my place and I know some places differ in mgt strategies and let bucks get older before shooting. Just think it depends on where your at. That buck is in the hill country and is older than mosquitos.

Bowsnrods you have any more pictures of this guy?

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/24/16 10:40 PM

Yes sir, I will post by Wednesday. He is post mature and in a high fence. He is also a protein baby. I call him Rudy, when I compare him to other bucks on ranch. He will not back down to anyone but normally finds himself lacking the linebacker size.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/25/16 02:18 AM

On the Decline
Posted By: Jasb

Re: Thoughts on Age and Weight - 10/25/16 02:29 AM

Hell hes an old man.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum