Forums46
Topics538,062
Posts9,732,577
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 30 of 44 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 43 44
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: SapperTitan] #6416190 08/19/16 09:44 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Anyone find anything cool lately?

I found a new sink hole last time I was out filling one of my feeders. I thought I was about to lose my truck there for a little bit. That count? roflmao

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: ZK-315] #6416200 08/19/16 09:50 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: ZK-315

I found a new sink hole last time I was out filling one of my feeders. I thought I was about to lose my truck there for a little bit. That count? roflmao
Well it would have counted if your truck would have fell in and then you found your truck. roflmao

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #6416791 08/20/16 01:38 PM
T
TX Hitman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
My buddy has a ranch near aspermont that I've hunted for about 5 years now. They have owned it for about 12 years. A few months ago we found, what we think, is an old moonshine still site. Funny thing is that this is the first time we noticed it. Been in that area numerous times. Someone build a square out of bricks and you could see char on the inside from a fire. The bricks are the same bricks as the old home site that's about 1/4 mile away. The area is down in a wash out. There was some old pipes and other stuff scattered around. Also found a 4" diameter piece of melted metal. I'm guessing its lead because it's very heavy for its size. Also found an old home site about a 100yrds off the corner fence. You could see the square brick outline (same type of bricks as the above) of the house frame. Found a old shovel spade and few dark blue glass jars. Looks like the old Vicks menthol jars I remember as a kid.

After mentioning this to my buddy's dad, he said he bought the land from the lady. Originally there were 2 estranged sisters. Their family had owned that land for over 50 years. The sisters split the land in half and lived on opposite sides of the land. The old home site we found was one of the sisters that passed away years ago. We are guessing the still site was used as a way to earn some extra money.

Not too exciting but we thought it was interesting history.

We are repairing and adding some new fence on my place. Got on the tax office website to find out a land owner that borders my land. He now lives over 7 hours away and hasn't been on the land in several years. Wanted to let him know that I was going to fix a few spots and to make sure he didn't have any issues with it. Ended up talking with him for about an hour about the history of that area. His land has been in his family since 1905. He knew everything about my land and all of the surround land as well. He mentioned about all of the Indian artifacts he has found on his place. Can't wait to start looking around the creek for artifacts. Unfortunately, our place hasn't been grazed in over 20+ years so the grass and brush is so thick.

The history I read is that after the civil war, the army setup a base camp near clairmont on the salt fork of the brazos. Their orders was to chase the Indians out of that area. Those Indians happened to be Quanna Parker and his tribe. The creek that cuts my place in half was the only fresh water source in the area so it was used by the Indians and the army as the main water source. History also shows that the most of the buffalo and wildlife used it as well. Rumor is that one landowner found an old buffalo skull by the creek about 10 years ago. There is also a detective from Lubbock that searches that creek for artifacts as a hobby. He maps and graphs it similar to a crime scene and donates everything they find back to landowner. He is documenting all of the small battles between the army and Indians based on the shell casings, buttons, and anything else he finds. Once we get the land grazed down and the cows clean up the brush, I plan to contact him to search my land. Should be interesting!

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #6416894 08/20/16 03:55 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
TX hitman, we used to hunt just north of Clairemont, in fact we got our freshwater there at the old railroad depot. Lots of history in that ghost town. I gathered up old boards from the dilapidated buildings to build my porch for the trailer. Used to explore the buildings and the "little red jail". The jail used to house murderers and horse thieves, back in the day. That area is part of "Mackenzie's trail". General Ranald Mackenzie, chased Quanah and his tribe up into the Palo duro, setting the stage for the end of the indian wars. Finally pushing them to the reservation. Cool stuff. Keep us posted as to what you find.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #6416912 08/20/16 04:15 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
TX Hitman....do a couple of controlled burns this winter and you will be amazed what is uncovered.....also dramatically improves the range while helping minimize the disastrous effects of an out of control summer wildfire.....fuel reduction under controlled circumstances help prevent horrific results after a wild fire....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Erathkid] #6416921 08/20/16 04:32 PM
S
sallysue Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
TX hitman, we used to hunt just north of Clairemont, in fact we got our freshwater there at the old railroad depot. Lots of history in that ghost town. I gathered up old boards from the dilapidated buildings to build my porch for the trailer. Used to explore the buildings and the "little red jail". The jail used to house murderers and horse thieves, back in the day. That area is part of "Mackenzie's trail". General Ranald Mackenzie, chased Quanah and his tribe up into the Palo duro, setting the stage for the end of the indian wars. Finally pushing them to the reservation. Cool stuff. Keep us posted as to what you find.
B e a great place to metal detect

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #6417004 08/20/16 05:55 PM
T
TX Hitman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
My place in near girard on duck creek. Mackenzie's base camp was at duck creek and the salt fork. Ran Parker all the way up to cap rock canyon state park and into Oklahoma.

As for a controlled burn, we plan to burn the front half next year. However, the back half is so grown up and the surrounding land is as well. Personally, I'd be scared to burn it before we graze because it could get out of hand in a hurry.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: ZK-315] #6417154 08/20/16 08:17 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K

Couple new guys on our lease, they found a sink hole as well.....then the landowners tractor nearly got to live in it pulling us out.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #6417409 08/20/16 11:33 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Just spent a rainy afternoon reading this thread - great stuff and cool finds, but think finding a body might wig me out.

I've found some interesting stuff over the years. At my buddies ranch in Oklahoma we found a marker buried in the grass that simply said, "Pioneer Man". We think it was a grave marker.

At the same ranch I was doing some work in July. I woke up very early on Sunday morning and decided to go fill feeders near a creek in the woods. I could hear music and walked up the creek thinking I would find kids partying - nope, meth lab. I quietly made way back out and called ranch mgr, who called sheriff, but by time they got there to investigate, all they found were some beer cans and syringes - gross.

On my place I've found arrow heads, a mollusk fossil dating back 14,000,000 years - give or take, and a glass insulator that I uncovered while plowing. We also have an old railroad bed that crosses us - abandoned in 1957 - so I've found several rail spikes.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: TX Hitman] #6417957 08/21/16 01:44 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: TX Hitman
My place in near girard on duck creek. Mackenzie's base camp was at duck creek and the salt fork. Ran Parker all the way up to cap rock canyon state park and into Oklahoma.

As for a controlled burn, we plan to burn the front half next year. However, the back half is so grown up and the surrounding land is as well. Personally, I'd be scared to burn it before we graze because it could get out of hand in a hurry.

Our pasture gate is at Gilpin. PM me and I'd be glad to have you stop by our camp for coffee or a cold one. up

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 08/21/16 01:45 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6418207 08/21/16 05:29 PM
T
TX Hitman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted By: TX Hitman

Our pasture gate is at Gilpin. PM me and I'd be glad to have you stop by our camp for coffee or a cold one. up

I appreciate that same invite at our place as well. I remember your post about the snake at the gate. We were just over at Red Hills this morning. Small world!

Finally got some rain this weekend. We showed about an inch. Need at least another inch for the wheat plant.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #6418798 08/22/16 12:53 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
gathering cows I came across an old junk pile, found a Collins engineer machete and a silver mounted spur,looked and looked for the other one, never found it.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #6419146 08/22/16 05:45 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
My 9 year old daughter found an arrowhead last week at friends place in Stephens county. First one he has seen since he owned it 14 years ago. At lease an arrowhead, some sort of spike from rail road or wagon and very old valve turn handle.

Weirdest was a severed calf head while turkey hunting. Guess it was just born night before and yotes got it but didn't touch the head. My son got his first two turkeys an hour later so good luck...

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #6419185 08/22/16 09:30 AM
G
gogburn Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
A gravestone head marker from the 1850's for a young girl. RIP

Good Hunting,
Gary
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #6420357 08/23/16 12:26 AM
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY
Originally Posted By: robbf213
So many unusual things, where should I start?

Meth lab, 2 fields of weed, both in NE Texas. South Texas 20 miles from the border: lots of arrowheads, many mexican pesos while looking for arrowheads, 5 bales of weed (40 pounds each) wrapped in burlap(hidden before BP caught them), duffel bag of cocaine(50 pounds), lots of stolen and wrecked out vehicles used for hauling illegals, and old lever action rifle, wood rotted off, grown into a mesquite tree, and what was left of two dead illegals after the hogs and coyotes finished their work. A metal arrowhead(1800's) and some really old .45 ammo from around the ruins of an old stagecoach station.

WOW sounds like this lease payed for it's self !!!!
2 fields of weed = (food plot with lathargic deer).

Ok 50lbs of coke that might have been a tough day of hunting... deer that won't stand still even for a second.

roflmao

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #6676602 02/16/17 05:08 AM
panch0 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Great stories!

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #6676826 02/16/17 03:05 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
At one time I would've said "deer"! yingyang

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: krmitchell] #6676830 02/16/17 03:06 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

Couple new guys on our lease, they found a sink hole as well.....then the landowners tractor nearly got to live in it pulling us out.

I always said: "If you're gonna do something, do it right"

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Hunt n Fish] #6676918 02/16/17 03:58 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

I always said: "If you're gonna do something, do it right"

I've never seen ground like that before. On the surface looked fine, and the truck that is attempting to pull him out when through that spot no problem. When we stood on the ground it was like a water bed, solid on top but liquid about 6 inches down. Really weird. We had no way of knowing what he was driving into.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Txduckman] #6677057 02/16/17 05:24 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
I finally found an arrowhead on Friday. Then I lost it when I pulled my hat out of my pocket!!! We went back to look for it and a buddy found his first. I was not so lucky. Mine was a perfect specimen.

Years ago I was glassing for Deer and Turkey in West Texas sitting on a small peak under a balanced rock that was at the top. Next to me in the dirt I found a corner tang with the tip missing. Not wanting to lose or break it I carefully folded a handkerchief or paper towel around it, placed it in my shirt pocket and buttoned the pocket. I did see a Turkey that I moved into position for, but had a jackrabbit run up to me and make a bark like sound at me scaring the Turkey before I could shoot it. I knew the Turkey was headed for a stock tank, so ran through the mesquites to set up for it. I remember patting my pocket while waiting on the Turkey and feeling the corner tang in my pocket. I shot my Turkey and carried the Turkey back to camp. At camp I wanted to take a picture of the Turkey with the corner tang. I pulled the handkerchief out of my pocket and carefully unfolded it. There was nothing in it.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #6752689 05/02/17 10:08 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Reviving old thread with a new find.

Was mowing trail to a blind the other day and happened to notice a bone sitting in the fork of a tree - about 12" off the ground, and bone was about the size of a ham bone. I've passed the same spot a thousand times and never noticed, but guess it could have been there before and I just didn't see. Either way, it was odd. I don't think an animal would have placed it there, and not sure why a human would either, so I guess it will remain a mystery.

Dalroo
How about that Brandon!
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Dalroo] #6752707 05/02/17 10:25 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Dalroo

Was mowing trail to a blind the other day and happened to notice a bone sitting in the fork of a tree - about 12" off the ground, and bone was about the size of a ham bone. I've passed the same spot a thousand times and never noticed, but guess it could have been there before and I just didn't see. Either way, it was odd. I don't think an animal would have placed it there, and not sure why a human would either, so I guess it will remain a mystery.

Sounds like a 'yote.

I found a small, old elk antler shed hanging in a tree, obviously placed there by another hunter, a few years ago while I was sitting still in an open meadow after theringworm determined I wouldn't die if left alone. It was the day after Sneaky's Bataan Death March on the 1st annual DIY CO THF elk hunt. It's in the rocks in front of my man cave. It's my only trophy from that hunt. grin

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Dalroo] #6753438 05/03/17 06:01 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C

worthless

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: colt45-90] #6753502 05/03/17 07:10 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: colt45

worthless

Ha! I was waiting for that response! I was on tractor so otherwise occupied, but you are right, I should have gotten a photo. Next time I am back there I will remember and post.

Dalroo
How about that Brandon!
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #6754343 05/04/17 03:41 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I found a large palm tree way out in the middle of the woods here in Brazoria county. Come to find out, it was a rare wild Brazoria Palm, native only to southern Brazoria county. The San Bernard NWR has a Brazoria Palm unit nearby to preserve the few that are left in the wild.

The picture doesn't really do it justice. The trunk is about 20' tall. They grow slowly so it is very old.

Page 30 of 44 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 43 44
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide