475579 Topics
6238865 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#6390193 - 08/01/16 08:50 AM Hunting lease drama
deftsound Offline
Outdoorsman

Just curious how you guys handle your hunting lease agreements. Im on a lease with 3 other guys, one of which whos family owns the land. He is my best friend of many years and I am wanting to learn some tips from yall on how to best handle the lease so we all get along.

I am afraid to show anyone my game camera pics because we have all established where we are hunting and setup feeder pens among other things. In-fact, i was the last one on the lease and didn't even really get to choose my spot, although im very happy with where im setup at. So far no one else has really seen any big bucks but I have 2 or 3 really nice 8 points coming. Im afraid if i tell them, they will want to move their spots to where im at...hah. I know it sounds trivial but im not really sure how to handle the situation. We've all payed our money up-front to hunt, even my friend who's parents own the land. But, im also afraid he will begin to treat the lease like its his, since his parents own it, even though we all payed the same amount to hunt there and signed the same agreement. He also has a tendency to get jealous over things and im afraid if he doesn't see any deer he will get butt-hurt over it and it will create friction. BTW, he is NOT an experienced hunter, which is why im concerned.

How do yall quell any drama on your lease and have you ever run into problems where people get jealous over deer?

Again, i know this may sound trivial to some, but i don't want this to ruin our friendship

#6390197 - 08/01/16 08:54 AM Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: deftsound]
sqiggy Offline

Loc: Franklin, Tx Hunt in Panola ...
Just don't show the pics!!! Pretty simple.

#6390203 - 08/01/16 08:57 AM Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: deftsound]
scalebuster Offline
Pro Tracker

It's just deer hunting. No reason to have any drama. The only time I get upset at deer camp is when someone drinks my camp whiskey and doesn't replace it or at least tell me I need to restock.

#6390211 - 08/01/16 09:03 AM Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: scalebuster]
deftsound Offline
Outdoorsman

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
It's just deer hunting. No reason to have any drama. The only time I get upset at deer camp is when someone drinks my camp whiskey and doesn't replace it or at least tell me I need to restock.

I agree! But my friend takes things kinda personal and tends to get jealous over stupid stuff. He's the kind of friend who would wake up at 2am to bail you out of jail though, and has been with me through thick and thin. I'm hoping its not an issue, but im curious if any of you have run into similar circumstances

#6390213 - 08/01/16 09:03 AM Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: sqiggy]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Just don't show the pics!!! Pretty simple.

This. I am pretty stingy about showing trail camera photos. And I own the place. You don't have to share everything you know. Just part of hunting and fishing - always has been.....

#6390217 - 08/01/16 09:04 AM Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: scalebuster]
scalebuster Offline
Pro Tracker

My main concern would be having a friend whose own parents charge him to hunt on their land. It sounds like his own folks don't like him.

#6390223 - 08/01/16 09:07 AM Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: scalebuster]
deftsound Offline
Outdoorsman

My main concern would be having a friend whose own parents charge him to hunt on their land. It sounds like his own folks don't like him.

They have had the land leased to hunters for 16 years, he requested they terminate the lease a few months ago so himself and friends could hunt there. We pay the taxes on the land, thats it. So its not like they are making money off us. Im all for parents making kids work for stuff

#6390238 - 08/01/16 09:18 AM Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: deftsound]
Mr. T. Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth - Hunt in Eastland ...
Don't show any photos of big bucks. I you feel you have to show some photos, delete the big buck ones and just show the normal does and little bucks. Then when you kill a big one, just say, man..I have never seen that buck before.
I was in your spot once where we all had our own area to hunt and feed. I showed photos of a buck coming in, all kinds of people started hunting my stand when I was not there even though we had an agreement not to. Needless to say the big buck was killed and not by me. But I was told it was shot at another stand on the other side of the lease. Maybe...but most likely it was shot out of my stand.
I got off the lease after two years.

#6390239 - 08/01/16 09:19 AM Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: deftsound]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
Been a while since I lease hunted but we had a lot of the same kinda drama. Follow the rules is all I can say. If he is a good friend and you enjoy hunting on the place don't get to bent out of shape yourself because it will just escalate things even more. Every one who paid their dues on the lease has every bit as much right as the next guy to do whatever they want, within the rules of the lease and the law. A lot of things were done by other lease members on our last lease that I didn't agree with, things stayed civil and happy because we kept our mouth shut. All in all its deer hunting, go have fun and don't sweat the small stuff.

#6390244 - 08/01/16 09:26 AM Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: deftsound]
poisonivie Online   happy

Loc: Bridgeport, Tx
Everybody is equal but he's gonna be just a little more equal. Thats just the way it is. If I had to deal with drama, I just wouldn't deer hunt. It aint worth it. Just be quiet and maybe put out another camera looking at your stand. Just for clarification on whats really going on.

#6390246 - 08/01/16 09:30 AM Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: deftsound]
Russ79 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Nacogdoches, Tx
What do the rules state- does everyone hunt their own area or is everywhere open to everybody. If everyone has their own spot then the worst thing anyone can do is set up next to your "boundary" and hope to see one before you do. How much land are we talking about anyway. Bucks are going to roam, especially during the rut so just because you see him on camera now doesn't mean you will see him during the season- he may show up in someone else's hunting area. Sounds to me like there are some maturity problems involved here also. Is it worth losing a friendship over a deer? You said he was the type of friend that you can call at 2am to bail you out of jail. If he was a real good friend he would be in the cell along with you....

#6390289 - 08/01/16 10:11 AM Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: deftsound]
Double Naught Spy Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Y'all are all probably seeing the same big bucks, but nobody is telling anybody else. Heck, they may be seeing better bucks than you are seeing and just not saying anything.

#6390293 - 08/01/16 10:16 AM Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: Double Naught Spy]
DQ Kid Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Y'all are all probably seeing the same big bucks, but nobody is telling anybody else. Heck, they may be seeing better bucks than you are seeing and just not saying anything.

Agreed, this is not drama more like slight hysterics to me. If pastures are not HF'd, then deer are moving around a property/properties than most may think.

#6390294 - 08/01/16 10:17 AM Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: deftsound]
Pitchfork Predator Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
Don't share your pictures unless you are all hunting all the sets. Even then not a good idea.

If he is new to hunting help him all you can to not mess his set up or yours.

Keep the pics of the nice bucks to yourself and you can show them when they're DRT. up

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#6390306 - 08/01/16 10:25 AM Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: deftsound]
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Big D
How big is the place? We rarely get consistent pics of the same buck at the same feeder. They will show up randomly at all of ours and the neighbors. We have over 1,000 acres and they move around a lot where we are. Some places are not like that but ours is so it is total luck for us and doesn't matter who knows what is on what camera. We have community blinds. Never liked or would ever be on a place that wasn't open blinds. That seems really weird you would even do that on a friends place. How old is this jealous friend?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide