Forums46
Topics538,043
Posts9,732,290
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Sniper John] #6360967 07/07/16 01:30 PM
Guy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Thanks you guys, you gave me a lot to think about. I'm not in a big rush to get a new pup, so I'm gonna puts some thought into it. My daughter is excited to get a new pup, we already decided if we get a lab, we just need to do it, bring it home and surprise my wife, she will not like it, but she will look in the pup's eyes and we will give her the "if you want us to take her back we will violin " .

I really do not goose hunt, so don't need a big dog, big enough to retrieve greenheads all that is needed. Smaller dog takes up let room in boat and in my camper, less weight in boat...And also smaller dog has to be less hair!!

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6360990 07/07/16 02:00 PM
W
Windrider Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
I have an AWS. They don't shed, but they do blow their coats twice a year. Mother than those 3-4 weeks of daily brushing you can get by with brushing once or twice a week. This is a cold tolerant breed, but hard to come by in Texas. He is usually happiest about the time the ponds start icing over.

AWS is an all around dog. I enjoy hunting waterfowl with him, but he's a natural on the uplands.

There are quite a few Toller breeders in North Texas. You might want to look at those. I'm considering one of those next time, but I have years to go so haven't put tons of research into it.

Thought for the day: Ducks were almost hunted to extinction long before camo was invented.
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6360999 07/07/16 02:09 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
my medium sized poodle comment was not a joke, great dog given all the reasons you stated above...weight in the boat, size and you only duck hunt and so size should not matter at all.

Barney agrees, I agree and I am pretty sure Judd agrees also

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6361043 07/07/16 02:39 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Well i think it's a dumb idea. Hth

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6361051 07/07/16 02:44 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
shouldnt you be on the roof working?

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6361079 07/07/16 03:15 PM
houstonLBD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Couple pics of my Boykin. Minimal shedding, and at 38 lbs, much easier to sit in your lap (in the house, car, or boat). And no person can resist the amber/yellow eyes of the Boykin, they can make you do anything smile

Last edited by houstonLBD; 07/07/16 03:34 PM.
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: ducknbass] #6361105 07/07/16 03:38 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
Well i think it's a dumb idea. Hth

I tried to send you a PM so we could work this out for Guy but your are over your PM limit

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6361202 07/07/16 05:03 PM
S
sallysue Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
This breed doesnt shed Deutscher Wachtelhund

Last edited by sallysue; 07/07/16 05:05 PM.
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Sniper John] #6361294 07/07/16 06:28 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Guy,

Drathars. I love these dogs. They were on my short list when I ultimately made the change to Vizslas so i researched them, watched them at tests, and hunted with a couple. They have a very strong prey drive. Most are fur crazy. Like most pointing versatile breeds they are not going to mark like a Lab, but in a hunting situation letting them work they can scent, track, find and blind retrieve cripples better than most Labs. Poodlepointers I like even more than DDs. Ones I have seen have been more laid back, but like a Drathar and my Vizsla are versatile breeds that than can retrieve. They are not retrievers. Size on them is going to usually be much bigger with males and some lines are just smaller. My 65+lb male V has no problem retrieving magnum Canadas, but if I had a 45lb or less female V, DD, or PP, it could give them trouble. Might be a consideration if you ever hunt big birds.

I have trained a bunch of Dutch dogs. Their ability to understand is impressive.

So far as small dogs, they can get the geese as well. Look at Alex Brittingham's JR terrier. HE was no taller than a boot and man handled the geese.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6361715 07/07/16 11:50 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Blaze is 65-70 lbs in this picture. I am sure a 30-40 lb Boykin can do it especially with cacklers, but magnum canadas on long rough water retrieves, climbing in and out of boats, on and pushing through Ice, 300 yard field retrieves, retrieving cranes, etc. I really needed a larger breed. And a breeding and pick from a litter in that direction as well. For large ducks, any of the breeds mentioned in the thread would do Guy just fine since the largest birds he hunts are big ducks.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6361854 07/08/16 01:15 AM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Guy
I would do this once a week, even after just brushing her, she could go inside on a clean floor, shake and hair all over the floor. I would like to think this is not normal for a lab.

Yea that's terrible. I guess our dogs just don't shed much? 2 of ours hardly have any hair come off of them when we brush them and the other has a quite a bit come off but nothing like that.

On the roomba yea it doesn't hold much but we clean it at least once a day and run it for a couple hours each day and it does a good job.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: zbot11] #6362405 07/08/16 01:55 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: ZachW
I'll seriously consider a drahthaar as my next dog for this exact same reason. I do know they blow their undercoats twice a year and it takes some maintenance to get it all out.

I have a DD that is almost 10 and this is the first in have ever heard about them blowing their coats twice a year.

Mine sheds a lot and I will get a short hair for my next dog. It's also too hot to have a wire coat on on Texas.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: MS1454] #6362446 07/08/16 02:43 PM
Guy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Per the artical below, dogs that shed do so twice a year.

"During the spring moult, the animal sheds its thick winter coat, and grows a sleek new coat for the summer season. As the temperature falls, the summer coat is shed and replaced by a nice warm winter one."

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/shedding-labradors-its-the-moulting-season-again/

I think dogs that shed all the time, like mind did, do so because of skin issues, which I know mine did have, and it got worse as she got older, and I never did a good job of addressing it with supliments. When she was young, the hair was not as much of an issue, and during the winter, she grew a thick winter coat. But as she got older, she never held her coat, she lost it from shedding all the time. On top of that, she had other allergies that effected her ear, so she was always shaking flinging hair everywhere.

If you haven't noticed, I'm talking myself into getting another lab. grin

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6362541 07/08/16 04:26 PM
R
RayB Offline
red bone Bob
red bone Bob
R
My new lab

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6362546 07/08/16 04:29 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

Then get a chocolate one because we know they are smarter bolt grin

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Judd] #6362620 07/08/16 05:44 PM
R
RayB Offline
red bone Bob
red bone Bob
R
Originally Posted By: Judd

I concur laugh

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Judd] #6362891 07/08/16 10:56 PM
Guy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Judd

Chocolate would match my wood floor. grin

A small back female lab is the dog I want, I'm still keeping an open mind to other breeds, but this is the dog I want. When I was a kid in the 70's, I had a small back lab, I drove a Yamaha RD 400, I strapped carpet across my gas tank, and my dog sat on the tank. She only jumped off once. grin

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6362997 07/09/16 12:24 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F

A small back female lab is the dog I want, I'm still keeping an open mind to other breeds, but this is the dog I want.

I knew you had it in you. Just got to let it come to the surface.

[Linked Image]

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6364510 07/10/16 06:30 PM
A
Astater Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
I have a labradoodle. Probably the best dog I've owned...but he can't hunt a lick. He's super energetic and my boys can tackle him without a worry of him being even slightly aggressive. He's great with my 8 month old and my wife is allergic to pretty much anything that sheds and he's great with her. But his attention span and ADHD won't allow for training at this point (he's 2).

I hunt over my buddys' labs and boykins. The little boykin is fantastic but she is small and thin framed so she struggles with cold and geese.

I'll never be able to own a lab because of my wife. My next dog will be a poodle, labradoodle or some type of spaniel but whatever I get it will come from hunting blood lines. I believe that's the single thing that you cannot overlook when getting a dog. You can get lucky and train a dog who's parents didn't hunt but I took that gamble and lost with my labradoodle.

Good luck man!

The things we do for ducks...
NRA Life Member
Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Lifetime License/Member
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6365636 07/11/16 06:09 PM
J
js4242 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I love my Wirehaired pointing Griff. I can't tell if she sheds and more importantly, neither can my wife. I do roll/strip her coat in the spring and summer to cool her down and increase new hair growth for the winter. Even with a vest on she is not great in super cold water, but where I hunt its not required most of the time. She does not have that dense of a coat so I am not sure if that plays a part in it. Never goose hunted so I can't comment on how well they do with that large of a bird. She 52lbs. Super smart and great with the family.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6365660 07/11/16 06:25 PM
H
Houghtonic Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
My (current weight) 53 lb pudelpointer did just fine on land retrieves of speckle bellies and snow geese last season. She was 10 month old at the time and under 50lbs. I think the only concern with size for any of the dogs suggested would be greater Canadas in water which the OP doesn't seem to go after.

Heath
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6365695 07/11/16 06:57 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Viszlas are great. Good sized and no shedding.

Small birdy labs are awesome I have a few tough to beat if they have a nose.

I have hunted with labdoodles that were awesome hunters. They tend to be a little difficult to train because they have so much energy and intelligence. I would recommend professional training.

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6367490 07/13/16 02:29 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Mohunter told me Yellow labs shed more than chocolate or black labs, thoughts on that? Molly sure did shed a lot, that's for sure. She has a skin condition tho, started trying supplements last few year, never got it working tho...

What about CBRs? They shed less?

Also considering labadoodle.

Molly's hair was a real problem, I can't have that again. I need a solution.

I vote for the hypoallergenic

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: wal1809] #6368132 07/13/16 07:56 PM
D
duckbill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: wal1809

Thatta boy Wal. I pick my DD up in a few weeks.

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Yeah, don't listen to me. I'm just an idiot.

Originally Posted By: East
Lol. Duckbill that was funny!

Originally Posted By: thecoach
The dude up top has already taken lots of bone before this deer, both mule and whitetail.
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: duckbill] #6368309 07/13/16 11:00 PM
Guy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: duckbill
Originally Posted By: wal1809

Thatta boy Wal. I pick my DD up in a few weeks.

I like what I'm reading about this dog. Do they shed less than a boykin, or about the same? I like the look of this dog more than the boykin.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide