Texas Hunting Forum

Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less?

Posted By: Guy

Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 01:20 AM

Mohunter told me Yellow labs shed more than chocolate or black labs, thoughts on that? Molly sure did shed a lot, that's for sure. She has a skin condition tho, started trying supplements last few year, never got it working tho...

What about CBRs? They shed less?

Also considering labadoodle.

Molly's hair was a real problem, I can't have that again. I need a solution.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 01:46 AM

I don't know about CBR shedding but they feel like a brillo pad when you pet them...great duck dogs no disputing that.

I've got a chocolate and wife says this is the last lab. Best dog in the world but she can't stand the hair and won't consider a dog being outside.

I suppose if I don't hang it up after this one dies I'll end up with a Boykin.
Posted By: gulfcoast200

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 02:00 AM

CBRs shed just as bad as a Lab we have tile floors and with 2 of them we vacuum daily. If your considering a Labradoodle than a CBR is probably not for you. I'd stick with a Lab.
Posted By: udamdan

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 02:17 AM

More like witch one retrieves better in my opinion banana2
Posted By: jlp04c

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 02:36 AM

Have a cbr, she sheds like crazy..
For a non shedding hunting dog your probably gonna need to look at a Boykin, it's my understanding they don't shed, or minimally shed. Maybe check a wired haired griff too??
Posted By: DuckSausage

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 03:28 AM

While my CBR absolutely sheds, I don't think he sheds anywhere close to the amount that my labs have.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 03:34 AM

having hunted cbr's all my life, I can't imagine one being a full time house dog. mine come in the camphouse(wood floors and wafer wood walls) but they shed...bad. if I was looking for a house dog/hunting dog combo id go with a springer, water spaniel or boykin. when trained properly good for any type of bird hunting, and good in the house/with kids etc
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 04:09 AM

The only solution here is to get a black lab.
Posted By: pervis

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 05:10 AM

I've got a buddy who has a springer spaniel and his dog is a hunting mojo. Dog is unreal. Listens know hand signals voice commands whistle commands, loves the water, couldn't be a better dog. Def a breed to consider
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 07:44 AM

Boykins shed pretty bad by the way for those suggesting one because they don't shed.

If you are considering a CBR read up on how to train them. Socialization is very important and they aren't the same as a lab. I'm not saying they are better or worse just different.

Please don't get a labradoodle
Posted By: Duck Buster

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Boykins shed pretty bad by the way for those suggesting one because they don't shed.

If you are considering a CBR read up on how to train them. Socialization is very important and they aren't the same as a lab. I'm not saying they are better or worse just different.

PLEASE don't get a labradoodle. I have met many, and never met a well trained one. THey are friendly beyond belief, but very tough to train. IMO, hair is less hassle than a labradoodle.

The real trick is getting a new lab now, so the hair amount increases with the 2 dogs. Then, heaven forbid your older dog passes to hunting heaven, the hair amount on the floor decreases because you only have 1 shedding dog again. It FEELS like you have less of a shedding problem, and your spouse gets used to the lesser amount. But of course in time it become apparent you have a lab, and there is always hair. But, your wife has fallen deeply in love with this fur child, and forgives it anyways. She may blame you again for getting a lab, but worth it.

That's how I do it...but I also get put on vacuuming duty a lot....

Good luck in your search for your next dog.
Posted By: Ol_Yeller

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 12:01 PM

Posted By: wal1809

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 12:08 PM

I am going Dutch next go around.
http://billmarchel.photoshelter.com/image/I00006MWOmvMzzR0
Posted By: john paul

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 12:12 PM

Black lab and a roomba. We have 3 and they all live inside and with one roomba it pretty much takes care of all of the dog hair. Our house is on the small side (1675 sq ft), if you had a bigger home you might need 2 roombas or just keep the dog limited to a portion of the house and leave the roomba in that portion.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 12:18 PM

Duck buster my lab past nov 2015.

Thanks for all the feedback. The Boykin is a dog I have not thought about. When I trained Molly, had a pro help me with FF, and he also trained Boykin, so I got to watch him work those dogs and they were good. I just don't like the way they look, but I might look past that, the little research I have done they do seem to shed less than a lab.

I would love to get a small lab, Molly was bigger than what I prefer. But I would brush her once a week, and my wife cleaned the floors twice a week (and I got an ear full each time lol), and still hair everywhere. I even had Molly trained to stay on the tile (kitchen and sun room), she stayed off the wood and carpet. And the hair was still a pain. It's been real nice not having hair everywhere. Really does not bother me, but my wife likes a clean house. And I hate cleaning floors.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: john paul
Black lab and a roomba. We have 3 and they all live inside and with one roomba it pretty much takes care of all of the dog hair. Our house is on the small side (1675 sq ft), if you had a bigger home you might need 2 roombas or just keep the dog limited to a portion of the house and leave the roomba in that portion.

I bought one of those. You had to constantly clean them, they hold like a cup of hair, my dog would fill a pillow case of hair. My wife would not even use a vacume, she would just broom it into piles.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 12:42 PM

I would do this once a week, even after just brushing her, she could go inside on a clean floor, shake and hair all over the floor. I would like to think this is not normal for a lab.

Posted By: Cappy_TX

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck Buster

PLEASE don't get a labradoodle. I have met many, and never met a well trained one. THey are friendly beyond belief, but very tough to train. IMO, hair is less hassle than a labradoodle.

Good luck in your search for your next dog.

Our Labradoodle, Rusty ... completely disagrees with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLve-v9sO8Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbq6mQ9h4tI

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
I would do this once a week, even after just brushing her, she could go inside on a clean floor, shake and hair all over the floor. I would like to think this is not normal for a lab.

It's normal...that is exactly why my wife says no more labs. Our house is either tile or wood and when the lab is shedding she is sweeping everyday and like you I hear about it. The Boykins still shed but it's a different hair and it's not the same. We are down to one cocker (had two at one point) and two cockers don't shed 1/2 as much as a lab...I don't see the Boykin being much different, they are all spaniels.
Posted By: Houghtonic

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 04:10 PM

While most all dogs shed, the wirehaired breeds like WPG, PP, and DD all shed much less than a lab. The lab can probably withstand much lower temperatures than the ones I listed, but plenty are busting ice with them and I have a one year old PP that was really fun to have as my companion on all my duck hunts here in Texas.

If you want a true no-shed dog, you'll probably be limited to a field bred Poodle or Irish Water Spaniel. If you go with a WPG, Poodle, or IWS, you'll have to do some due dilligence to make sure you are getting one from true hunting stock. If you go with PP, it's likely you'll be waiting for about 6 months. Not sure how long the waits are for DD.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 04:21 PM

you should just get a field bred medium sized poodle
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 07:38 PM

Our Chocolate Masti-pit-ador doesn't shed, but lack of any courage whatsoever might be an issue hunting.

Our Blacks and Chocolates have shed like yours, only to be outdone by our current Lemon Beagle who appears to grow an entire new coat daily.

I did not get a CBR given some of the personality traits mentioned.

Charlie
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
you should just get a field bred medium sized poodle

mark it down. G and I agree on something!!!!! up
Posted By: zbot11

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/06/16 10:19 PM

I'll seriously consider a drahthaar as my next dog for this exact same reason. I do know they blow their undercoats twice a year and it takes some maintenance to get it all out.

I currently have a golden with a pretty short coat. Believe it or not I think his shedding is more bearable than some of the labs I've been around. He has a ton of hair, but it seems to clump together better than lab hair and it's never on our furniture, clothes, food, etc.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/07/16 03:21 AM

Guy,
I have owned and trained a half dozen breeds of hunting dog and hunted with several other breeds, not to mention researched a few each time I changed. Some random thoughts.

I would think shedding with a Lab would be more related to coat type and the individual dog than color. They all shed so much that if one color shed a little less than the other due to common genes related to color type it would not be enough difference to matter anyway. If I were looking I would focus on breeding background first and color second. You can always match your carpet/furniture scheme to color of dog.

I enjoy watching the Boykins at hunt tests. My understanding is one would do well to pay extra special attention to the breeding background for a working dog on these. Similar in size would be the American Water Spaniel. When I researched breeds, I had to rule these out because I do a lot of big goose hunting. Then are small dogs as far as retrievers go.

The joke is on Poodles, but then I have been to more than one retriever hunt test where I watched a field poodle outperform many of the Labrador's present. They are hypoallergenic as well as is the Irish Water Spaniel which most will just think is a Poodle. I personally would go with an Irish Water Spaniel from a chosen breeding before I would a labradoodle.

Labradoodles as any mix are going to be a crap shoot IMHO. Especially if a first generation breeding. You could end up with a great retriever like Cappy's or you could just end up with only a great house pet IMO. Too much risk to benefit to chance if you need a retriever.

Drathars. I love these dogs. They were on my short list when I ultimately made the change to Vizslas so i researched them, watched them at tests, and hunted with a couple. They have a very strong prey drive. Most are fur crazy. Like most pointing versatile breeds they are not going to mark like a Lab, but in a hunting situation letting them work they can scent, track, find and blind retrieve cripples better than most Labs. Poodlepointers I like even more than DDs. Ones I have seen have been more laid back, but like a Drathar and my Vizsla are versatile breeds that than can retrieve. They are not retrievers. Size on them is going to usually be much bigger with males and some lines are just smaller. My 65+lb male V has no problem retrieving magnum Canadas, but if I had a 45lb or less female V, DD, or PP, it could give them trouble. Might be a consideration if you ever hunt big birds.

CBR. If I were going to solely a retriever and needed a dog for very cold weather, I would have a CBR. No good reason other than I have raised and trained a Lab before and have not had a CBR. They shed about as much as a Lab I think, but have a more oily coat for shedding water. Stripping their coat all the time like one might do a Lab to cut back on the shedding might not be a good idea because of that. A CBR owner would know more on that thought.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/07/16 01:30 PM

Thanks you guys, you gave me a lot to think about. I'm not in a big rush to get a new pup, so I'm gonna puts some thought into it. My daughter is excited to get a new pup, we already decided if we get a lab, we just need to do it, bring it home and surprise my wife, she will not like it, but she will look in the pup's eyes and we will give her the "if you want us to take her back we will violin " .

I really do not goose hunt, so don't need a big dog, big enough to retrieve greenheads all that is needed. Smaller dog takes up let room in boat and in my camper, less weight in boat...And also smaller dog has to be less hair!!
Posted By: Windrider

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/07/16 02:00 PM

I have an AWS. They don't shed, but they do blow their coats twice a year. Mother than those 3-4 weeks of daily brushing you can get by with brushing once or twice a week. This is a cold tolerant breed, but hard to come by in Texas. He is usually happiest about the time the ponds start icing over.

AWS is an all around dog. I enjoy hunting waterfowl with him, but he's a natural on the uplands.

There are quite a few Toller breeders in North Texas. You might want to look at those. I'm considering one of those next time, but I have years to go so haven't put tons of research into it.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/07/16 02:09 PM

my medium sized poodle comment was not a joke, great dog given all the reasons you stated above...weight in the boat, size and you only duck hunt and so size should not matter at all.

Barney agrees, I agree and I am pretty sure Judd agrees also
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/07/16 02:39 PM

Well i think it's a dumb idea. Hth

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/07/16 02:44 PM

shouldnt you be on the roof working?
Posted By: houstonLBD

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/07/16 03:15 PM

Couple pics of my Boykin. Minimal shedding, and at 38 lbs, much easier to sit in your lap (in the house, car, or boat). And no person can resist the amber/yellow eyes of the Boykin, they can make you do anything smile

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/07/16 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass
Well i think it's a dumb idea. Hth

I tried to send you a PM so we could work this out for Guy but your are over your PM limit
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/07/16 05:03 PM

This breed doesnt shed Deutscher Wachtelhund

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/07/16 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Guy,

Drathars. I love these dogs. They were on my short list when I ultimately made the change to Vizslas so i researched them, watched them at tests, and hunted with a couple. They have a very strong prey drive. Most are fur crazy. Like most pointing versatile breeds they are not going to mark like a Lab, but in a hunting situation letting them work they can scent, track, find and blind retrieve cripples better than most Labs. Poodlepointers I like even more than DDs. Ones I have seen have been more laid back, but like a Drathar and my Vizsla are versatile breeds that than can retrieve. They are not retrievers. Size on them is going to usually be much bigger with males and some lines are just smaller. My 65+lb male V has no problem retrieving magnum Canadas, but if I had a 45lb or less female V, DD, or PP, it could give them trouble. Might be a consideration if you ever hunt big birds.

I have trained a bunch of Dutch dogs. Their ability to understand is impressive.

So far as small dogs, they can get the geese as well. Look at Alex Brittingham's JR terrier. HE was no taller than a boot and man handled the geese.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/07/16 11:50 PM

Blaze is 65-70 lbs in this picture. I am sure a 30-40 lb Boykin can do it especially with cacklers, but magnum canadas on long rough water retrieves, climbing in and out of boats, on and pushing through Ice, 300 yard field retrieves, retrieving cranes, etc. I really needed a larger breed. And a breeding and pick from a litter in that direction as well. For large ducks, any of the breeds mentioned in the thread would do Guy just fine since the largest birds he hunts are big ducks.

Posted By: john paul

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/08/16 01:15 AM

Yea that's terrible. I guess our dogs just don't shed much? 2 of ours hardly have any hair come off of them when we brush them and the other has a quite a bit come off but nothing like that.

On the roomba yea it doesn't hold much but we clean it at least once a day and run it for a couple hours each day and it does a good job.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/08/16 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: ZachW
I'll seriously consider a drahthaar as my next dog for this exact same reason. I do know they blow their undercoats twice a year and it takes some maintenance to get it all out.

I have a DD that is almost 10 and this is the first in have ever heard about them blowing their coats twice a year.

Mine sheds a lot and I will get a short hair for my next dog. It's also too hot to have a wire coat on on Texas.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/08/16 02:43 PM

Per the artical below, dogs that shed do so twice a year.

"During the spring moult, the animal sheds its thick winter coat, and grows a sleek new coat for the summer season. As the temperature falls, the summer coat is shed and replaced by a nice warm winter one."

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/shedding-labradors-its-the-moulting-season-again/

I think dogs that shed all the time, like mind did, do so because of skin issues, which I know mine did have, and it got worse as she got older, and I never did a good job of addressing it with supliments. When she was young, the hair was not as much of an issue, and during the winter, she grew a thick winter coat. But as she got older, she never held her coat, she lost it from shedding all the time. On top of that, she had other allergies that effected her ear, so she was always shaking flinging hair everywhere.

If you haven't noticed, I'm talking myself into getting another lab. grin
Posted By: RayB

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/08/16 04:26 PM

My new lab

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/08/16 04:29 PM

Then get a chocolate one because we know they are smarter bolt grin
Posted By: RayB

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/08/16 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd

I concur laugh

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/08/16 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd

Chocolate would match my wood floor. grin

A small back female lab is the dog I want, I'm still keeping an open mind to other breeds, but this is the dog I want. When I was a kid in the 70's, I had a small back lab, I drove a Yamaha RD 400, I strapped carpet across my gas tank, and my dog sat on the tank. She only jumped off once. grin

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/09/16 12:24 AM

A small back female lab is the dog I want, I'm still keeping an open mind to other breeds, but this is the dog I want.

I knew you had it in you. Just got to let it come to the surface.
Posted By: Astater

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/10/16 06:30 PM

I have a labradoodle. Probably the best dog I've owned...but he can't hunt a lick. He's super energetic and my boys can tackle him without a worry of him being even slightly aggressive. He's great with my 8 month old and my wife is allergic to pretty much anything that sheds and he's great with her. But his attention span and ADHD won't allow for training at this point (he's 2).

I hunt over my buddys' labs and boykins. The little boykin is fantastic but she is small and thin framed so she struggles with cold and geese.

I'll never be able to own a lab because of my wife. My next dog will be a poodle, labradoodle or some type of spaniel but whatever I get it will come from hunting blood lines. I believe that's the single thing that you cannot overlook when getting a dog. You can get lucky and train a dog who's parents didn't hunt but I took that gamble and lost with my labradoodle.

Good luck man!
Posted By: js4242

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/11/16 06:09 PM

I love my Wirehaired pointing Griff. I can't tell if she sheds and more importantly, neither can my wife. I do roll/strip her coat in the spring and summer to cool her down and increase new hair growth for the winter. Even with a vest on she is not great in super cold water, but where I hunt its not required most of the time. She does not have that dense of a coat so I am not sure if that plays a part in it. Never goose hunted so I can't comment on how well they do with that large of a bird. She 52lbs. Super smart and great with the family.
Posted By: Houghtonic

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/11/16 06:25 PM

My (current weight) 53 lb pudelpointer did just fine on land retrieves of speckle bellies and snow geese last season. She was 10 month old at the time and under 50lbs. I think the only concern with size for any of the dogs suggested would be greater Canadas in water which the OP doesn't seem to go after.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/11/16 06:57 PM

Viszlas are great. Good sized and no shedding.

Small birdy labs are awesome I have a few tough to beat if they have a nose.

I have hunted with labdoodles that were awesome hunters. They tend to be a little difficult to train because they have so much energy and intelligence. I would recommend professional training.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/13/16 02:29 AM

Mohunter told me Yellow labs shed more than chocolate or black labs, thoughts on that? Molly sure did shed a lot, that's for sure. She has a skin condition tho, started trying supplements last few year, never got it working tho...

What about CBRs? They shed less?

Also considering labadoodle.

Molly's hair was a real problem, I can't have that again. I need a solution.

I vote for the hypoallergenic
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/13/16 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809

Thatta boy Wal. I pick my DD up in a few weeks.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/13/16 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: duckbill

I like what I'm reading about this dog. Do they shed less than a boykin, or about the same? I like the look of this dog more than the boykin.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/14/16 01:57 PM

From what Boykin owners say, they don't she'd much. My DD sheds a lot.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/14/16 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: duckbill

I like what I'm reading about this dog. Do they shed less than a boykin, or about the same? I like the look of this dog more than the boykin.

I once thought they were the ugliest beast ever. I did a clinic for Zane Brown east of Dallas somewhere. He had a whole litter of DD pups in a pen there. They were bearded and cocked that head to the side looking at me when I walked up. Those pups were beautiful. I then ran through 25 dogs like butter. Every Dutch there went to the first snake, I slammed the electricity to them and it was over. They needed no more clrification, snake=bad they had it down.

Izzy up at stinkbelly's place in Weatherford. Izzy received the training years ago. I swear if you picked her up and threw her at the snake she would find a way to fly over it. DDs are absolutely smart dogs. No to take away from the labradors at all. I have had them since before I can remember.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/14/16 02:59 PM

Why you call them dutch? Deutsch in Deutsch Drahthaar means German. There are bred to a 100 year old German standard.

You can just make out the snake in the shade.

Posted By: duckbill

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/14/16 03:03 PM

Why you call them dutch? Deutsch in Deutsch Drahthaar means German. There are bred to a 100 year old German standard.

That is true. Pronounced doytch. and drot-har

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/14/16 06:47 PM

You can just make out the snake in the shade.

Because it is easier and my spell correction might go to a word that might get me in trouble grin

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/14/16 06:55 PM

That's why I use DD

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/14/16 10:29 PM

I traded PMs with Stinkbelly, he has 2 DDs, One sheds like crazy, and one hardly sheds at all. The one that sheds a lot has I thin coat (and has allergies) and one that doesn't shed has a thick coat (no allergies). Makes sense, allergies creates skin issues, they shed a lot and thus have a thin coat, just like my Molly.

I would be pissed if I got a DD and it shed a lot, my only reason for getting one over a lab is the shedding.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/14/16 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
my medium sized poodle comment was not a joke, great dog given all the reasons you stated above...weight in the boat, size and you only duck hunt and so size should not matter at all.

Barney agrees, I agree and I am pretty sure Judd agrees also

Not sure I could bring myself to buy a poodle. Saw one run at an HRC training day, it ran like it was afraid it was going to break a nail. It was just one dog I saw, but I remember telling myself I'll never get one. I have read up on them, smart dogs, but they don't seem to have a lot of drive is my impression. My wife would probably love it though.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/14/16 11:03 PM

I would be pissed if I got a DD and it shed a lot, my only reason for getting one over a lab is the shedding.

Quit fighting it and find a BLF.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? - 07/17/16 11:04 PM

I been working on the wife for days, it has not been going very good. But today she said "Ok I want to write a contract on what you are going to do when we get the new dog." I got the hook set, just got to reel her in now. grin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum