Forums46
Topics538,383
Posts9,736,534
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6287029 05/04/16 09:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content OP
kind of a big deal
OP Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Let me just say this: I have been out there "on the ground" with both my time and my $$ fighting for the rights of hunters - since probably before the OP got out of diapers. Talking, educating, discussing, debating and writing checks.

Did you use a traditional bow and make your own arrows and broadheads, or go cap and ball muzzle loader route....or cheat and use a rifle or compound bow, deer blind, feeder? Would I be a better conservationist if I bought a 60k plus sheep or mule deer auction tag

Anti-hunters are what? Anti-hunters. They are against hunting because of some stupid Disneyesque idea that hunting is cruel, inhumane, and depletes the resource of wild animals. They are stupid.

The real audience hunters need to reach is non-hunters. When you talk to them, overwhelmingly they are concerned about 2 issues:

1)The health of the resource (animal populations and hunters' impacts on same); and
2)The concept of "fair chase" (the ethic of hunters as actually hunting animals rather than just killing them to satisfy some bloodlust or for "fun" - they verbalize this in a number of ways but that's the gist).

fair chase is an oxymoron, we established this already, thus why you use a rifle, atv, outfitter etc. the bloodlust and fun image(and your trophy pics)disappears with a plate full of excellent table fare.

The conservation history of hunters and the continued stewardship of the resource with hunters being by far the greatest conservationists by every metric is a very powerful testimony on hunters' behalf.
The ethic of "fair chase" exemplified by game laws and the individual practice of ethics is right behind it as a powerful testimony. Game laws are just the start of ethics. For example, if every hunter killed their limits every time out, the resource would still undergo significant depletion in many cases. There are many more examples.

fair chase is not exemplified by game laws, game laws simply insure that our food source stays sustainable, except in the case of the article where fair chase was used to lesson hunters and hunting.

There are some issues to be overcome with many forms of dog hunting, but they are usually overcome with a frank discussion/education of the tradition of dog hunting and the careful limits. (But some types of dog hunting have been banned over time - even with hunter acclimation - such as most dog hunting is not allowed for deer.)

it's ok to ban for deer so it's ok to ban for bears and lions? Guess what higher bear and lion population means, less deer tags available..remember sustainable food.. Since your predators don't contribute to loss of tags, I'm sure the hunters surrounding yellow stone and those in states with protected predators should just put their heads back in the sand?

The one current issue the vast, vast, majority of non-hunters remain adamantly repulsed by is ...... well, I'll let y'all fill in that blank.

there you go defining fair chase again by your own ideology. When you can tell me which dinner is HF and which is LM let me know. Fair chase goes way beyond HF, that's what you can't understand in this thread

Argue, cuss, discuss, whatever. I'm out there - I know what the issues of concern are. It does no good to put your heads in the sand about them and "sit down and shut up".

Thank you for the discussion, it furthers my statement about your ideology. Discussion was about labeling different hunting techniques as fair chase or not fair chase and the impact it has on game laws that reducing hunting and hunters. It obvious you are only concerned with your method, your input was noted .

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6287050 05/04/16 09:23 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Thanks for the encouragement.

We can just agree to disagree I guess on the issue. The vast majority of hunters and non-hunters I know consider "fair chase" a central ethic to their idea/support of hunting.

Sport hunting is a relatively new endeavor. References to the history of mankind as a predator can be helpful and instructive in many cases, but not dispositive. Simply put, we don't live in a natural world anymore - man's influence over it is for all practical purposes total and complete. Folks want that influence exercised responsibly.

You are correct, the "cruelty" issue is usually easily discussed and disposed of by reference to nature - which has no concept of "cruelty". Normal hunting is certainly no more "cruel" (and by and large much less "cruel") than nature.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6287061 05/04/16 09:34 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I would pay money to hear one of these ground breaking Speaches roflmao

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6287076 05/04/16 09:38 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Let me just say this: I have been out there "on the ground" with both my time and my $$ fighting for the rights of hunters - since probably before the OP got out of diapers. Talking, educating, discussing, debating and writing checks.

Did you use a traditional bow and make your own arrows and broadheads, or go cap and ball muzzle loader route....or cheat and use a rifle or compound bow, deer blind, feeder? Would I be a better conservationist if I bought a 60k plus sheep or mule deer auction tag

Anti-hunters are what? Anti-hunters. They are against hunting because of some stupid Disneyesque idea that hunting is cruel, inhumane, and depletes the resource of wild animals. They are stupid.

The real audience hunters need to reach is non-hunters. When you talk to them, overwhelmingly they are concerned about 2 issues:

1)The health of the resource (animal populations and hunters' impacts on same); and
2)The concept of "fair chase" (the ethic of hunters as actually hunting animals rather than just killing them to satisfy some bloodlust or for "fun" - they verbalize this in a number of ways but that's the gist).

fair chase is an oxymoron, we established this already, thus why you use a rifle, atv, outfitter etc. the bloodlust and fun image(and your trophy pics)disappears with a plate full of excellent table fare.

The conservation history of hunters and the continued stewardship of the resource with hunters being by far the greatest conservationists by every metric is a very powerful testimony on hunters' behalf.
The ethic of "fair chase" exemplified by game laws and the individual practice of ethics is right behind it as a powerful testimony. Game laws are just the start of ethics. For example, if every hunter killed their limits every time out, the resource would still undergo significant depletion in many cases. There are many more examples.

fair chase is not exemplified by game laws, game laws simply insure that our food source stays sustainable, except in the case of the article where fair chase was used to lesson hunters and hunting.

There are some issues to be overcome with many forms of dog hunting, but they are usually overcome with a frank discussion/education of the tradition of dog hunting and the careful limits. (But some types of dog hunting have been banned over time - even with hunter acclimation - such as most dog hunting is not allowed for deer.)

it's ok to ban for deer so it's ok to ban for bears and lions? Guess what higher bear and lion population means, less deer tags available..remember sustainable food.. Since your predators don't contribute to loss of tags, I'm sure the hunters surrounding yellow stone and those in states with protected predators should just put their heads back in the sand?

The one current issue the vast, vast, majority of non-hunters remain adamantly repulsed by is ...... well, I'll let y'all fill in that blank.

there you go defining fair chase again by your own ideology. When you can tell me which dinner is HF and which is LM let me know. Fair chase goes way beyond HF, that's what you can't understand in this thread

Argue, cuss, discuss, whatever. I'm out there - I know what the issues of concern are. It does no good to put your heads in the sand about them and "sit down and shut up".

Thank you for the discussion, it furthers my statement about your ideology. Discussion was about labeling different hunting techniques as fair chase or not fair chase and the impact it has on game laws that reducing hunting and hunters. It obvious you are only concerned with your method, your input was noted .

There's simply too much misunderstanding and/or misdirection in all that for me to deal with. There's not one statement or implication in my post about my personal concerns or that my personal methods are the only acceptable methods. Quite the contrary, in fact.

You just don't care for me or my positions BOBO - and that's fine. You do not need to make stuff up for me just to knock it down though. That's a useless game.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: JCB] #6287080 05/04/16 09:39 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: JCB
I don't let the antis influence what I say or do at all. Just because I disagree with what another hunter does or doesn't do, it does not automatically put me on the same team as the antis. "The sit down and shut up" mentality aint the answer for sure!

Yes Sir...

What another man does as long as it's moral, ethical and legal is truly no ones buisness...

up

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6287109 05/04/16 09:59 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Online Content
kind of a big deal

There's simply too much misunderstanding and/or misdirection in all that for me to deal with. There's not one statement or implication in my post about my personal concerns or that my personal methods are the only acceptable methods. Quite the contrary, in fact.

You just don't care for me or my positions BOBO - and that's fine. You do not need to make stuff up for me just to knock it down though. That's a useless game.

No misdirection, no making things up... Every single response deals with defining fairchase. You simply want it defined, I simply showed you can't with out alienating other law abiding hunters.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: SniperRAB] #6287161 05/04/16 10:35 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
What another man does as long as it's moral, ethical and legal is truly no ones buisness... up

For once, a post from this young man that I agree with unequivocally, absolutely, and 100%! (Except, of course, for the missing punctuation and misspelling.) laugh bolt

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Creekrunner] #6287164 05/04/16 10:40 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
What another man does as long as it's moral, ethical and legal is truly no ones buisness... up

For once, a post from this young man that I agree with unequivocally, absolutely, and 100%! (Except, of course, for the missing punctuation and misspelling.) laugh bolt

Hell just froze over

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: A.B.] #6287166 05/04/16 10:41 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: A.B.

Hell just froze over
roflmao

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6287192 05/04/16 10:54 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Britain stood alone against Hitler...
The rest of the World soon realized Hitler was a Idiot...

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: SniperRAB] #6287230 05/04/16 11:17 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

What another man does as long as it's moral, ethical and legal is truly no ones buisness...

I feel the same way. Wether or not something is my particular cup of tea doesn't matter because how another man hunts affects me not. Everyone has the ability to hunt as they choose as long as it is legal. What is ethical and moral to one man may not be to another.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: SniperRAB] #6287241 05/04/16 11:23 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Britain stood alone against Hitler...
The rest of the World soon realized Hitler was a Idiot...

Deranged, sociopath, evil incarnate? Yes. Idiot? Not by a long shot. ("And...they're off!")

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6287279 05/04/16 11:50 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
All this talk about "as long as it's legal, I dont care what another hunter does", remember most here hunt private land in Texas, give Public land a try like many states have, then you can get the full taste of what others think about ethics and courtesy. I have met some great folks hunting public, but more than my fair share of AH too.

Last edited by Western; 05/04/16 11:51 PM.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Western] #6287286 05/04/16 11:53 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Western
All this talk about "as long as it's legal, I dont care what another hunter does", remember most here hunt private land in Texas, give Public land a try like many states have, then you can get the full taste of what others think about ethics and courtesy. I have met some great folks hunting public, but more than my fair share of AH too.

2 years ago, with Sneaky's bunch - I will never get used to walking within 6' of another couple of hunters, asking how they're doing, and not even getting so much as a nod. Bizarre. And part of me wants to rip their heads off. But let's just forget about that last part.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Creekrunner] #6287337 05/05/16 12:28 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

I agree with it too. 100%.

But it's just a general platitude that solves nothing. The antis are convinced everything they do is moral, ethical, and legal too. The devil is in the details of who will win the day.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Western] #6287413 05/05/16 01:26 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Just remembered what I was thinking of yesterday and it probably wouldn't apply to hunting in any fashion, maybe as to why we have some game law restrictions, but even then, I'm not sure..Brain fart, sorry. Moral Turpitude was what I was thinking bang

I think Conservation and stewardship are the best arguments, in that, all people will enjoy the wildlife we as hunters and outdoorsmen pay to preserve, hunters and non hunters alike. It is hunters by a large margin, that pay for the wildlife programs and each states Wildlife divisions funding.

Amen, Western! Really not sure about most of the BS in this thread but your post hit the nail on the head!!!

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: SniperRAB] #6287855 05/05/16 01:09 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I would pay money to hear one of these ground breaking Speaches roflmao

Save your money. You wouldn't understand them anyway.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6287972 05/05/16 02:05 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Yea you are so above everyone and Superior...
Lets compare time in the field sometime...Not with a paid guide holding your hand saying...shoot that one or watching a hunting show. roflmao

Go back to your Fantasy World...

Name these speeches you talk of and to what organizations and when

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6287978 05/05/16 02:10 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
People in Texas are allowed to Harvest Game in any manner they see fit that is Moral, Ethical and within the Laws of TPWD...

I see no reason to belittle or degrade a Hunter on his Harvest because of Narrow Minded Views and Elitist Attitude.

When I see a Animal Harvested and proud Hunter...My first response is...Congratulations and I am Very Happy for you..

NOT Where did you take that and how and with what Caliber ...SMH

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: SniperRAB] #6287985 05/05/16 02:15 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
People in Texas are allowed to Harvest Game in any manner they see fit that is Moral, Ethical and within the Laws of TPWD...

I see no reason to belittle or degrade a Hunter on his Harvest because of Narrow Minded Views and Elitist Attitude.

When I see a Animal Harvested and proud Hunter...My first response is...Congratulations and I am Very Happy for you..

NOT Where did you take that and how and with what Caliber ...SMH

Amen, brother

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: SniperRAB] #6288014 05/05/16 02:30 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Yea you are so above everyone and Superior...
Lets compare time in the field sometime...Not with a paid guide holding your hand saying...shoot that one or watching a hunting show. roflmao

Go back to your Fantasy World...

Name these speeches you talk of and to what organizations and when

1)Throw a jab;
2)Get a response;
3)Get butthurt and make up chit to say.
4)Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I just like to check about once a year to see if you are still Mr. Dish It Out But Can't Take It.

Accuse me of wanting to be "superior" when you have to make stuff up so you can throw your own junk on the table.

You don't know the first thing about my hunting background. The first thing. The only one living in a fantasy world is you. I had more "time in the field" in than you have today before you were born. And it wasn't riding around in a UTV with a beer in the cupholder .........

See you at least learned how to spell "speeches". Hey, that's a start.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 05/05/16 02:45 PM.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6288061 05/05/16 02:59 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Online Content
kind of a big deal
And it's tanking......I really don't want to have to lock my own thread

back offtopic

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6288092 05/05/16 03:22 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

back offtopic

TREX will do it, he will do anything for a candy bar and a coke peep

Or we can try a diversionary tactic, When the tide goes out, where does all that water go? grin

Last edited by Western; 05/05/16 03:22 PM.

Dennis

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Western] #6288110 05/05/16 03:35 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

back offtopic

Or we can try a diversionary tactic, When the tide goes out, where does all that water go? grin

Lake Ray Hubbard? confused2

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6288117 05/05/16 03:38 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

back offtopic

Lake Ray Hubbard? confused2

Probably where all the trash comes from, but dont think it goes there, I am kinda lean'n towards the tide only goes out when BOBO turns on his irrigation roflmao

Dennis

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide