[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: "Self-Adjusting" Scopes [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6285107 05/03/16 06:00 PM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Wonder how the cavemen would feel about the way we hunt?? Or even the indians? Or our great grandparents? Good chance the way we hunt now days will be obsolete in the future. Sad but true. Just think of the guns and bows that were used just 150 years ago. It's mind boggling.

Dogdown

The only thing that'll stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun.
Re: "Self-Adjusting" Scopes [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6285111 05/03/16 06:04 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
It will always be a choice. The long range guys do it because that's the skill and challenge they want to perfect. No different then long bow vs crossbow or compound. IMO

IMO what makes it different is the aid with the very act of shooting itself. Not better equipment, not more efficient equipment, but the machine taking over the very act of shooting from the user.

I not saying I know where the line is, but I'm guessing the vast majority of hunters would say taking the shooter completely out of the equation of making an accurate shot (e.g. laser-guided bullets) would cross it. The same technology could also be employed with an arrow. Not so many years ago, "draw locks" were used by many - and to my knowledge they are now disallowed for bowhunting in most (if not every) state. Why? Because they were an artificial aid in the very act of shooting the bow (the shooter holding their own draw).

For me, equipment giving the shooter the exact point of aim by lighting up the "hold" point does also. (I get that this doesn't account for wind). IMO the shooter should make the shot, not have a gadget do it for him. I get folks can say "Yeah but you still have to do this, and you still have to do that". But that game can be played all the way down to "Yeah but you still have to pull the trigger."

Drawlocks are legal in any state that crossbows are legal.... That's a lot of states.

The scope doesn't give you the exact point to aim, it's an estimation of hold. It doesn't caliberate with out input. Even then you have a red dot with spacing, its not near as finite as turret, or line reticle. On top of that the gun has to be leveled and aligned right, it's doesn't self adjust for shooter form.

You can buy a laser ranger finder that will do the same thing once caliberated to temp, elevation, BC and speed.

Then you input it, after all that is done, you still have to be a shooter. You still have to have the disciple to make the bullet go where it's suppose to. Sounds easy, until you got that 500 plus mark.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: "Self-Adjusting" Scopes [Re: dogdown23] #6285113 05/03/16 06:06 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: dogdown23
Wonder how the cavemen would feel about the way we hunt?? Or even the indians? Or our great grandparents? Good chance the way we hunt now days will be obsolete in the future. Sad but true. Just think of the guns and bows that were used just 150 years ago. It's mind boggling.

They would be excited for modern rifle and scope. Spears sux, they would eat more that's for sure

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: "Self-Adjusting" Scopes [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6285153 05/03/16 06:34 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Thanks for the input guys.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: "Self-Adjusting" Scopes [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6285166 05/03/16 06:42 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Bottom line with hunting differences, if it is legal, and you can sleep well at night, don't worry about what the other guy is doing.

If it isn't legal, well then, that's where to get the game warden involved. But just as in my business and ethics of it all, catching someone in their unethical/illegal behavior is a tough thing to do so it ends up being something you can beat yourself up over if you worry about what the other guy is doing. Just do what is right for you, and be sure you can look yourself in the mirror. That's about all you can control in this world.

Boy, that makes me sound like a relativist doesn't it?

Re: "Self-Adjusting" Scopes [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6286179 05/04/16 09:17 AM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
If I were a target shooter I guess I might consider one but I'm not. All I do is hunt. I'll never own one because they are very large, bulky, heavy and cumbersome.

On a side note they are a pain to mount. I've mounted a few for customers. Two of them have come back because the shooter was getting scope eye. Both were mounted on T3's in .308. Haven't delved into why except for noting it is a very heavy scope on a very light rifle.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: "Self-Adjusting" Scopes [Re: booradley] #6286331 05/04/16 12:56 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: booradley
If I were a target shooter I guess I might consider one but I'm not. All I do is hunt. I'll never own one because they are very large, bulky, heavy and cumbersome.

On a side note they are a pain to mount. I've mounted a few for customers. Two of them have come back because the shooter was getting scope eye. Both were mounted on T3's in .308. Haven't delved into why except for noting it is a very heavy scope on a very light rifle.

Yes they are ridiculous from an ergonomics standpoint right now. That will change pretty soon though I'm sure.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide