Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6309968 05/24/16 09:39 PM
A
AP2020 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
I apologize for not following up sooner!

I just got back from the 2016 NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits in Louisville, KY.

Here is a quick video I threw together. I am heading out to sight in the ATN Thor on one of my AR15's.

Also, I'll do another side by side video tonight.

Pulsar Apex XD38A = turn the brightness control down

ATN Thor-HD = turn the contrast control up. (((if I can find that contrast control)))

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6309969 05/24/16 09:39 PM
A
AP2020 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
OK....ATN ThOR-HD mounted on my AR15 Rifle.

***************NEWSFLASH*****************

I discovered that there is no CONTRAST CONTROL on this ATN ThOR HD Unit that I am testing..therefore, it is a MOOT POINT to try to do another side by side comparison with the Pulsar Apex units.

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6309998 05/24/16 10:03 PM
P
Pig_Popper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
So the online owners manual is full featured but the scope isn't ???

This model line is the ThOR How Depressing (HD) Unit

Last edited by Pig_Popper; 05/24/16 10:05 PM.

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: dfwroadkill] #6310002 05/24/16 10:06 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie
PS I still think for the price point and the features offered the base model THOR is awesome

This is where your inexperience shows. A 1.25X thermal has a very confined area of use. You stated on the other thread that it was "perfect" for 150 yards and maybe 200. Detect, maybe, but you would miss it many times and not know it was there. Forget recognition and ID. No, it is far from perfect at that range. I think a 1.25X has a sweet spot at around 50 yards and in. Couple that mag with a 3XX core and as you try to magnify to be able to see better....forget it. I, personally, would never hunt with one. It just doesn't give me the mag or image I need to make the right shots. So, inexperience would sell this as a useful tool to someone thinking they are getting a thermal that will work out to 150 yards and beyond. They will be sorely disappointed IMO...

To illustrate, here is a pic of a 640 cored Armasight with a 1.5X mag at only 75 yards.

Here is the base ATN THOR HD at about 75 yards... This is not huntable?

I am a firm believer that this is easily used up to 150 yards maybe 200 in the right conditions. For someone on a budget who cannot afford the higher end units this will do just fine up to those yardages. It is not going to be perfect but for the price it is a lot better than what is offered.

I am going off of straight feedback from those who have used them and send in photos and videos.

You make the best decision for your needs bottom line.

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6310009 05/24/16 10:11 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
PS I still think for the price point and the features offered the base model THOR is awesome, I have not had or had a customer, with the high end models in hand. But then again it is my first Thermal experience. The only issues I have seen so far are a few dead pixle issues, but from those customers ATn has taken care of the issue for them.

Interesting, so you have had multiple customers who have had to return their defective scopes to ATN. That says a lot about QC issues.

By a few I mean two, one of them was resolved without return, and another one had to be replaced. This unit ATN sent to the customer FIRST and had him return his once he received the new unit. Not many companies will do that with a $2000 product.

ATn is not perfect, but they take care of their customers when they do have an issue.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: TXGH] #6310012 05/24/16 10:13 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

I wouldn't fire at that image @ 75 yards, that could be anything from an alligator to a medium size chupa.
Seriously... I remember back home they shot a guy out a tree in the basin thinking he was a bear. You can see something hot there, but that's it. I will not pull the trigger unless I'm absolutely certain it is what I expect it to be.

This is X-Sight all over again, no sound, lines on the display. I find the contrast control being listed in the manual but not the scope to be probably the worst fubar yet. Maybe next spring.

Charlie

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: dfwroadkill] #6310022 05/24/16 10:21 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
You are 100% correct that I started my ATN experience in December. But you are not correct that I have not been around the block with experience with the products. I owned a 3x12 and a 5x18 and made it my job to become an expert on those products to assist people in troubleshooting issues, and being a VERY ACTIVE member of the support group. I was one of the FIRST people, aside from the test personnel, to get the ATN X-Sight II in my hands and had some of the first reviews for this product on youtube and other outlets.

ATN has a fiasco with the release of the X-Sight I I agree but with the continued support of the Facebook Group, and the Facebook Texas group they have listened and SOLVED a lot of those issues with their new items. I have made it my personal mission to learn all of the issues of the X-sight I and their fixes.. I would not be any kind of a good dealer if I did not extensively know the history, issues & their fixes, along with the hands on experience of the new products.

Although the majority of my experience is with the X-Sights, I have many members who have the THOR HD in hands and together we are picking it apart to find the good, the great, and the ugly.

Well, you missed my point JT. I never questioned your voracity to learn or your desire to be the best you could with the products you desire to sell. These are good traits....and often missing in the NV industry. Don't let that desire to move product blind you from the real world issues however. My point was to be careful about where you place your trust and to understand that as much as you think you have gained experience, you are still a novice at this. Can't be any other way with only 5 or less months in. You simply haven't used enough variety of product for enough time to know how things should be. How many other digital scopes have you hunted with for extended periods in the field? How does their function and reliability compare to what you are offering? How many brands and models of digital or thermal have you used extensively and for extended periods in the field? How does their function and reliability compare to your offering? You see, those things must be a large part of your credibility. So, when you come in here and claim the Thor HD is "amazing" before you even have one it sounds more like a salesman than someone with the knowledge you can trust to know the difference. I'm thinking you are a good guy trying to do the right thing, but you haven't been down the road so many of us on this forum have gone down. Becoming a dealer is the easy part.

Touchet, as you are correct about the inexperience int eh market itself. However I can 100% say that I have been 90% happy with my personal investment for my personal use. For the price point, which I could not afford other, higher end units at teh time. I do not regret, and am very happy with my purchases. Just because I am a dealer now, doe snot mean I did not have to invest my own money in my personal units that I hunt with.

Remember I was a customer first. If I was not happy with, or believed in, the product I would have never of had the desire to sell it. The THOR IS Amazing to me, although my experience is limited, I think the targeted audience is the introductory to thermal audience who does not have 4,000 to spend on a High End thermal unit. With that said I am highly confident that the average person just getting into thermal would be 100% happy with the base model THOR HD.. Now someone who has had lots of experience in high end thermals would view the base model as not much better than the seek XR (LOL).

Like I said before my description on the THOR was from user reviews from personal contacts, physically seeing it at SHOT SHOW, and other feedback from the user facebook group. My initial impression from the unit at shot was a shock and awe reaction, and I should have been more clear on that. But I stand by my personal opinion that the THOR HD is awesome for me, and the price for what you get cannot be beat. For this price point most thermal units are only for scouting, not hunting.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: CharlieCTx] #6310028 05/24/16 10:25 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx

I wouldn't fire at that image @ 75 yards, that could be anything from an alligator to a medium size chupa.
Seriously... I remember back home they shot a guy out a tree in the basin thinking he was a bear. You can see something hot there, but that's it. I will not pull the trigger unless I'm absolutely certain it is what I expect it to be.

This is X-Sight all over again, no sound, lines on the display. I find the contrast control being listed in the manual but not the scope to be probably the worst fubar yet. Maybe next spring.

Charlie

No Sound? There is sound on the video. But windows does not like the Video format so if you upload directly to youtube it will display the sound, or reformat the video on your computer. It is the same on the X-Sight I and II. Windows is not a fan of that video format.

Also there is no animal in that photo. It is a stand, a feeder, and a game camera.. The photo is only to show the clarity. I will get another photo soon for you

Last edited by jtprocaddie; 05/24/16 10:27 PM.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6310046 05/24/16 10:36 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

This pig is about 80 - 100 yards on base magnification.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: TXGH] #6310051 05/24/16 10:40 PM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
PS I still think for the price point and the features offered the base model THOR is awesome

This is where your inexperience shows. A 1.25X thermal has a very confined area of use. You stated on the other thread that it was "perfect" for 150 yards and maybe 200. Detect, maybe, but you would miss it many times and not know it was there. Forget recognition and ID. No, it is far from perfect at that range. I think a 1.25X has a sweet spot at around 50 yards and in. Couple that mag with a 3XX core and as you try to magnify to be able to see better....forget it. I, personally, would never hunt with one. It just doesn't give me the mag or image I need to make the right shots. So, inexperience would sell this as a useful tool to someone thinking they are getting a thermal that will work out to 150 yards and beyond. They will be sorely disappointed IMO...

To illustrate, here is a pic of a 640 cored Armasight with a 1.5X mag at only 75 yards.

I am a firm believer that this is easily used up to 150 yards maybe 200 in the right conditions. For someone on a budget who cannot afford the higher end units this will do just fine up to those yardages. It is not going to be perfect but for the price it is a lot better than what is offered.

I am going off of straight feedback from those who have used them and send in photos and videos.

You make the best decision for your needs bottom line.

If that's 75 yards, a coyote would look like a small white blob at 150-200 yards. Don't kid yourself. If that is 75 yards in your pic there it'd be pushing it to kill a fox or bobcat at that distance. The only senerio I see this unit being somewhat useful is if your watching a feeder 50 yards out trying to kill pigs as they come in.

Dogdown

The only thing that'll stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun.
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: TXGH] #6310061 05/24/16 10:44 PM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker

That pig is 50-60 yads out. What animals are 100 -150 yards past the pig? More pigs? Cows?

Dogdown

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: dogdown23] #6310063 05/24/16 10:46 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: dogdown23

If that's 75 yards, a coyote would look like a small white blob at 150-200 yards. Don't kid yourself. If that is 75 yards in your pic there it'd be pushing it to kill a fox or bobcat at that distance. The only scenario I see this unit being somewhat useful is if your watching a feeder 50 yards out trying to kill pigs as they come in.

The other pic I posted clearly shows a pig at 100 with no issues. 50 yards more would not be an issue.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: dogdown23] #6310066 05/24/16 10:47 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

That pig is 50-60 yads out. What animals are 100 -150 yards past the pig? More pigs? Cows?

Those are cows at about 400+ yards which is out of the realm of the base model.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6310067 05/24/16 10:48 PM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Heck your shadow goes out 1/3 of the way to the pig. Do you have a 30 yard shadow?

Dogdown

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: dogdown23] #6310070 05/24/16 10:49 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Heck your shadow goes out 1/3 of the way to the pig. Do you have a 30 yard shadow?

Thank is not a shadow, as a shadow does not show up in thermal at night. That is the end of a long barrell at base magnification.

Last edited by jtprocaddie; 05/24/16 10:50 PM.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6310072 05/24/16 10:52 PM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Did u kill the pig?

Dogdown

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6310081 05/24/16 10:58 PM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
That's a big pig, it's bigger than the 55 gal drums at 75 yards.

Dogdown

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6310089 05/24/16 10:59 PM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Do they make this unit in a higher magnification

Dogdown

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6310101 05/24/16 11:04 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
was with two other guys. There was another group of pigs we were hoping would come join so we would all get a shot at a pig at the same time, but no luck on that trip.

There is a kill video at 100 yards in tall grass.

Last edited by jtprocaddie; 05/24/16 11:15 PM.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: dogdown23] #6310106 05/24/16 11:06 PM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
[quote=dogdown23]Heck your shadow goes out 1/3 of the way to the pig. Do you have a 30 yard shadow? [/quote

How do you keep an image of the barrel out of the video?

Dogdown

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: dogdown23] #6310118 05/24/16 11:11 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dogdown23
Do they make this unit in a higher magnification

Yes they do.. This is images from the base model that is 1999.00

This unit is the ATn Thor HD 640 Unit 5x50 zoom (Not my unit) Retails for 5999.00

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6310225 05/25/16 12:36 AM
D
DoubleUp Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
A little too close to the cattle for my taste, but the picture looks better.

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6310246 05/25/16 01:00 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Nice video, love how that cow right next to the shot hog just stands there and then turns and looks at the dead hog, "what's your problem chump?"

I agree the video appears much better in that, but it should be, a larger sensor, a larger lens and higher native mag should give a better picture.

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: TXGH] #6310421 05/25/16 03:12 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Well, you can't keep changing it up. Your original statement that I addressed said that the 1.25X was "perfect" for 150 and maybe 200. That is what you said. Now you show what I think you are saying is a feeder setup at 75 yards and ask if it is huntable? I had said that I thought about 50 yards and in was the sweet spot for that mag. Could you push it to 75 yards. Well, yes. But I am telling you that real world it ain't no daisy at that range. As soon as the sounder bolts you'll never have a chance. Luck maybe, but it will just be scatter shooting.

I wish you the best with it JT, I really do.

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: dfwroadkill] #6311263 05/25/16 08:44 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

Well, you can't keep changing it up. Your original statement that I addressed said that the 1.25X was "perfect" for 150 and maybe 200. That is what you said. Now you show what I think you are saying is a feeder setup at 75 yards and ask if it is huntable? I had said that I thought about 50 yards and in was the sweet spot for that mag. Could you push it to 75 yards. Well, yes. But I am telling you that real world it ain't no daisy at that range. As soon as the sounder bolts you'll never have a chance. Luck maybe, but it will just be scatter shooting.

I wish you the best with it JT, I really do.

That question was aimed at those asking, more sarcastic than anything else. It was aimed at those who said it is not huntable at longer distances. Of course that picture is huntable and more. That picture shows how huntable the scope is at base magnification, and is even better zoomed in. I think you are reading too literally into things. The video above shows a kill at 100 yards with no issue, and 150 yards would not be a problem either.

I wish you the best of luck as well, and if you are not comfortable with hunting up to 150 yards with this magnification, then they do make it in higher magnification as well.. This is the BASE model with low magnification.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide