Forums46
Topics538,031
Posts9,732,153
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6155355 01/26/16 03:20 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
You have a front bag and rear bag and cant hold steady? Its in your head man what are you shooting? Have you tried it with a .22? serious though not trying to be funny

Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: charlesb] #6155358 01/26/16 03:21 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: charlesb
One of my favorite Jack O'Connor stories was when he was out trying for some kind of varmints at medium range with a rifle that had a 6X scope on it. He posted himself at a high place - but the varmints were not cooperating that day.

So he decided to head back to camp, and started walking down the hill - when a big bobcat popped out of the brush, not far ahead of him on the trail. He described the frustration that followed when it was impossible to get a clear sight picture at close range with the 6X scope.

Jack was all set up for varmint shooting - but then when an actual hunting opportunity popped up, he was SOL.

I like 12x or better at the range, but when in the field I set my scope at 4x unless a situation calls for more, or less power.

If I were going to buy a single power rifle scope for hunting, it would be 4x.

This scope isn't really for hunting. Other than shooting over a feeder at 150 yards. It's for target shooting. But I would still like to learn to hold the rifle steadier at the closer ranges.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6155365 01/26/16 03:24 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
If your shooting at your own range have a few beers, or whatever fits your fancy... I sighted in every client at 100yrds and the ones that couldn't qualify that would fix it 100% of the time

Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6155375 01/26/16 03:26 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I was rock steady as a kid, the 39A and I were deadly. I need at least a front bag these days. I use my left fist for a rear rest with only a front bag and I can do better.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: Navasot] #6155380 01/26/16 03:27 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Navasot
You have a front bag and rear bag and cant hold steady? Its in your head man what are you shooting? Have you tried it with a .22? serious though not trying to be funny

No, I said with a front and rear bag, I can hold very steady. It's when I'm shooting off a backpack, or a bag of corn on the hood of my truck. I'm just wondering if my form or grip is an issue. Form and grip are going to have less impact when the gun is on bags.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6155388 01/26/16 03:31 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

No, I said with a front and rear bag, I can hold very steady. It's when I'm shooting off a backpack, or a bag of corn on the hood of my truck. I'm just wondering if my form or grip is an issue. Form and grip are going to have less impact when the gun is on bags.

AHHHHH my bad I over read that.... is this with any rifle or just this new one?

Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6155395 01/26/16 03:35 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
It's always been an issue. But I'm sure it's magnified (pun not intended) since its a fixed 12 power and I can't just crank it down like I normally would.

Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6155397 01/26/16 03:38 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

In those scenarios, get the rifle to balance almost on its' own. That is usually right ahead of the magazine. Having the rifle muzzle heavy, or butt stock heavy makes improvised rests more difficult. Get your firing hand out of steadying the rifle if possible. Trigger control and follow through are always important. Try to get in a position where your non-firing hand is doing the work of steadying the rifle. Use anything you can to build a position. And get your elbows rested against something.

A thousand yards off a feed sack, on the hood of the truck, is more than do-able once you disect the problem and learn to improvise.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6155408 01/26/16 03:44 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Thanks JG. That's what I'm hoping to hear. I appreciate it.

Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6155429 01/26/16 04:02 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Control the rifle, don't let it control you.

Make sure you are leaning forward into the rifle, and using the grip hand to pull rearward to apply firm pressure into the shoulder - really firm pressure. When firm enough pressure is applied, the crosshairs should remain steady when dry firing when the trigger is pulled. If the crosshairs jump with dry firing, you need to apply more rearward pressure and/or work on your position.

If the position is sitting or standing, make sure to lean the upper body forward from the waist into the rifle.

There is a difference between a backpack and a bag of corn. The corn actually should be pretty steady. Backpacks can vary quite a bit depending on how firmly they are packed.

Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6155678 01/26/16 06:06 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Two days over a prairie dog town did wonders for my shooting. Nothing can take the place of sending lots of boolits down range. Except maybe a lesson from JG. smile

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6155800 01/26/16 07:07 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
What is your grip on the rifle like? Are you strangling the rifle, or just supporting it?

I noticed especially with my pistol shooting the tighter I held the gun and more I tried to keep it from jumping when I shot the worse my groups were. The more I concentrated on trigger pull and just letting the gun recoil how it recoiled the better my shooting was.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6156333 01/26/16 11:03 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
breathing

trigger control

light trigger pull

practice

sorry about the 'golf' comment, was a bit unfair
' up

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: Buzzsaw] #6156451 01/27/16 12:09 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Big Fitz and I ended the day on the evil roof top. Smacked the crap out of 400 yards many times, we did. grin

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6157091 01/27/16 05:00 AM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Caffeine?

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6157092 01/27/16 05:01 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Caffeine doesn't give me the shakes

Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6157133 01/27/16 05:49 AM
G
Gwood88 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Try changing your target.
I find I shoot the diamond targets the best if I just aim for the very tip. It gives me a very fine point of aim.
Aim small. Miss small.

Controls wobble a bit but nothing like trigger time and finding what works for you.

Texas A&M Class of 2011
Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6157292 01/27/16 01:45 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

I drink over a pot of coffee a day every day. Coffee doesn't give me the "shakes" either, but it does make the cross hairs bounce around a little on high power at 100 yards.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6157330 01/27/16 02:10 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Thanks guys. Good tips.

Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6157389 01/27/16 02:42 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
When I am sighting in a rifle, I try to get the gun as steady as possible with front and back bags and make sure I get that job done well.

When target practicing, I typically use just a front rest of some sort, bag, block, whatever is at the range. I really bury the rifle butt into my shoulder and barely grip the gun with my trigger hand. I have the rifle balanced in the front sight and the shoulder, and really concentrate on breathing. There is always some wobble, as your heart beats and breathing, and that is magnified the more mag your scope has. I try to shoot on a deeper exhale, and always try to let the gun surprise me. Target shooting is fun, should be fun. I think of it almost like the samaurai archers and a battle for perfection between the weapon and the warrior. I am not that good, but you get the point.

If you are shaking, it is either nerves, too hard a grip, or trying to jump the trigger. Simply put, the gun doesn't shake on its own. It is you doing it. So I would try to figure out exactly what part of this is causing the shake. I think you will find your answer yourself and be able to get to the bottom of it more quickly than we can.

And despite what many people think, caffeine makes most people shake. So does adrenaline. I am a microsurgeon, and I have seen people shake violently under a microscope when training from nothing other than being excited and full of adrenaline. With a 12X fixed scope, you are working under a telescope, which is the same principle, and any amount of excitement, adrenaline, or caffeine could be causing the shakes. Especially if they go away when you double bag your gun. Focus on breathing and calming down.

Dry fire a few times at the range before you put any ammo in and see if you can get a non-shakey picture and if you can, then you know its jumping the trigger. If you can't, then it is either excitement, or grip.

Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6157405 01/27/16 02:49 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L

It's not that it gives you shakes, it's that it generally it increases contractility (& rebound after-load) which can/will make your heart beat not only faster but harder, meaning each beat can 'bounce' the cross-hairs around more. Won't be an issue on a firm rest but can make a drastic difference when the 'rest' is your body.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6157416 01/27/16 02:54 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Have you tried a steady rise shot? Im bad about getting jumpy if I try and hold steady for to long... my gun is usually moving when I squeeze the trigger.. I breath out as I rise to my target and squeeze off all at the same time... hard to explain but somehow I steady better with movement..

Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6157503 01/27/16 03:43 PM
S
shadams Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
These are all awesome tips guys, cant wait to get back out there. Just wish good ammo was free...

"If the Truth becomes Outlawed, then Outlaws we must become..."
Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: TFF Caribou] #6157531 01/27/16 04:08 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
For me, precision shooting is a lot like overhead welding. - It is a matter of deliberately relaxing each and every muscle that is not directly required for the job at hand.

This relaxation means there will be less tremor, and incidentally it makes the shooting process a lot more enjoyable, less tiring.

As an extreme example: Once I was invited to shoot a benchrest rifle, a thirty pound bolt gun chambered in 30-30 Winchester of all things. The owner of the gun gave me three rounds to shoot, which is more generous than it may sound like when you consider the pains that those guys go through to produce accurate ammunition for their guns.

The gun weighed thirty pounds, was securely mounted on a very nice custom shooting rest, and was shooting a 30-30 load that was on the light side. So, after aligning the crosshairs on the target for each shot, I deliberately avoided touching anything on the gun except for it's hair trigger.

After viewing my group, the owner commented that I shot the gun better than he did, by which I guess he must have been putting it to his shoulder, etc. thus allowing heart beats and muscle tremors to have more of an effect.

This is an extreme example, but it shows the general direction to go for. - Relaxed muscles, minimum required contact, trigger control, careful sighting.

With lighter made, heavier recoiling firearms you are not of course going to get by without a firm grip upon the weapon - but even then if you look into it closely, you will probably find that you are tensing up muscles that are not really required for the job at hand. It's a natural human tendency that you have to be aware of so that you can control it.

Kind of like folks who wrinkle up their faces and frown when trying to think something over... They may unconsciously believe that all of that facial muscle action helps them to think - but does it really? Is all of that really necessary?

So, if you are struggling to hold steady, that struggle may be doing you more harm than good.

There are lots of good tips here, this is my two cents on the matter.

Last edited by charlesb; 01/27/16 04:13 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Still struggling to hold steady [Re: charlesb] #6157614 01/27/16 04:57 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: charlesb
For me, precision shooting is a lot like overhead welding. - It is a matter of deliberately relaxing each and every muscle that is not directly required for the job at hand.

This relaxation means there will be less tremor, and incidentally it makes the shooting process a lot more enjoyable, less tiring.

As an extreme example: Once I was invited to shoot a benchrest rifle, a thirty pound bolt gun chambered in 30-30 Winchester of all things. The owner of the gun gave me three rounds to shoot, which is more generous than it may sound like when you consider the pains that those guys go through to produce accurate ammunition for their guns.

The gun weighed thirty pounds, was securely mounted on a very nice custom shooting rest, and was shooting a 30-30 load that was on the light side. So, after aligning the crosshairs on the target for each shot, I deliberately avoided touching anything on the gun except for it's hair trigger.

After viewing my group, the owner commented that I shot the gun better than he did, by which I guess he must have been putting it to his shoulder, etc. thus allowing heart beats and muscle tremors to have more of an effect.

This is an extreme example, but it shows the general direction to go for. - Relaxed muscles, minimum required contact, trigger control, careful sighting.

With lighter made, heavier recoiling firearms you are not of course going to get by without a firm grip upon the weapon - but even then if you look into it closely, you will probably find that you are tensing up muscles that are not really required for the job at hand. It's a natural human tendency that you have to be aware of so that you can control it.

Kind of like folks who wrinkle up their faces and frown when trying to think something over... They may unconsciously believe that all of that facial muscle action helps them to think - but does it really? Is all of that really necessary?

So, if you are struggling to hold steady, that struggle may be doing you more harm than good.

There are lots of good tips here, this is my two cents on the matter.

I know we rarely see eye to eye, but thank you. I think that may have alot to do with it too. Im tensing up most of my muscles while shooting. (Maybe a subconscious was to compensate for recoil). Which is odd, because recoil doesn't bother me in the least, but I do also have a tendency to flinch for some reason also. I've been working on the flinch for a while now, and its getting better. I just don't know why I do it at all, since recoil doesn't bother me.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide