T
TFF Caribou Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Ok, relevant to the topic. Seems to me that if off hand, standing shots are the goal, you'd be far better off with a light contour barrel than a heavy barrel. Gunna be easier to hold an off hand shot steady with a lighter rifle.

I disagree with this, lighter rifles are easier to pack around, but I find a heavier rifle is much easier to shoot off hand or on a bench for that matter.

I agree on a bench without a doubt, but I have a harder time holding heavier rifles as steady on an off hand shot. Personal preference I suppose.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: J.G.] #6070249 12/07/15 04:23 AM
H
HorizonFirearms Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
roflmao These last few threads have had me rolling, trying to keep my mouth shut, between this one and the long range hunting one.

Last edited by HorizonFirearms; 12/07/15 04:23 AM.
Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6070251 12/07/15 04:23 AM
M
MClark Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Maybe everyone is right.
A heavy rifle is hard to hold up, especially for a long time, and will tire you out carrying it. But holds steady with a rest.
But a very light one ican be difficult to hold on target. But you won't be breathing heavily from carry.
I have found about a seven pound, scope and everything, is a good compromise.
If I am in a blind or stand, have a rest, can deliver the rifle by truck, heavy doesn't matter.

Mark

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: Dalee7892] #6070364 12/07/15 07:45 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
I have a Mossberg MVP in 308, heavy barrel fluted, adjustable trigger, box mag (5, 10, 20 round), bolt action.
Looks like the Ruger Gunsite but not the expensive. I like it. Haven't tried to stretch it out pass 200. It is already 18".

A buddy had one of those Mossbergs at the ranch this weekend. Sweet little rifle. His barrel looked like 16" plus a flash hider. Said his buddy bought the Ruger at the same time so they could compare them. He said the Ruger was a better gun and he wishes he had gotten it, but the money saved getting the Mossberg was really nice.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: Colt W. Knight] #6070428 12/07/15 12:33 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Ok, relevant to the topic. Seems to me that if off hand, standing shots are the goal, you'd be far better off with a light contour barrel than a heavy barrel. Gunna be easier to hold an off hand shot steady with a lighter rifle.

I disagree with this, lighter rifles are easier to pack around, but I find a heavier rifle is much easier to shoot off hand or on a bench for that matter.

This has been my experience as well. If the rifle is light, holding it still is much more of a chore for me. The rifle that I shoot best offhand these days is a Savage 93R17 BTVS, a 17HMR that I have owned for maybe five years or so.

Right now I'm building it's big brother from a bull-barreled Howa in .223 with a 1-12" twist. The .223 works out much better when there is a crosswind, and has more authority for small predators like coyote or bobcats.

Once the barrel is reduced from 24" to 18", it should handle much like the little 17HMR does.

For the 308 version, I'm thinking of changing the formula a bit. Maybe a sporter-style stock with the barrel channel opened up for the bull barrel might work out better. The varmint stocks are pretty heavy to drag around with you all day, still-hunting for whitetail.

Last edited by charlesb; 12/07/15 12:36 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: MClark] #6070433 12/07/15 12:44 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: MClark
Maybe everyone is right.
A heavy rifle is hard to hold up, especially for a long time, and will tire you out carrying it. But holds steady with a rest.
But a very light one ican be difficult to hold on target. But you won't be breathing heavily from carry.
I have found about a seven pound, scope and everything, is a good compromise.
If I am in a blind or stand, have a rest, can deliver the rifle by truck, heavy doesn't matter.

Mark

That reminds me of the year that I got a chance to hunt from a stand, and the only thing I had set up was a Ruger M77 varmint model in .280 Remington, with the 24" bull barrel. Hauling that thing across the ranch at 4:30AM was a chore, and was no fun to climb up into the stand with.

Right after sun-up I heard some turkeys behind me, walking along the edge of the scrub-oak woods. By the time I hauled that Ruger around to try for a shot, they had spotted all of the movement and evaporated.

I didn't get anything at all that year - but I got plenty of exercise!

Since I gotten into still-hunting, I haven't thought of it but a short bull-barrel would be pretty good for stand hunting, too. - Easy to move around at any rate.

Last edited by charlesb; 12/07/15 12:48 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6070684 12/07/15 03:18 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: charlesb
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
So bash on the guys that know their chit about ballistics, say a short barrel rifle lacks "performance", pass judgement on those of us that know how to make any barrel length work, pass judgement on those of us that know how to hit things target or hide far away, then ask for input on a rifle build? And you're a rifle builder...

F-ing really? loco

Has his little girly panties in a twist.

Sober up, JG... Take the ignorant attitude somewhere else.

how about you stop trolling people and being an [censored]... You have added nothing of value to this sight

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6071989 12/08/15 02:04 AM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
So bash on the guys that know their chit about ballistics, say a short barrel rifle lacks "performance", pass judgement on those of us that know how to make any barrel length work, pass judgement on those of us that know how to hit things target or hide far away, then ask for input on a rifle build? And you're a rifle builder...

F-ing really? loco

Has his little girly panties in a twist.

Sober up, JG... Take the ignorant attitude somewhere else.

Sober up? Hmmm. I'll just leave this here.
I have a late model Winchester 1885 in 270WSM that I like a lot, but it's pretty heavy, 8.5 pounds with no scope and the 28" barrel makes it kind of ungainly. - Not the best handling firearm with that long barrel.

So, I took a hacksaw to it, reducing the barrel to 24". ( Click image to see it larger. )

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide