Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5946339 09/25/15 05:52 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
It's obviously unwise to put a blind closer than 10 feet to a fence line, just because you might need that 10 foot access when you redo your fence.

If I had 100 acres and my neighbor had 2000 acres and he put a blind on my fence line, I'd be annoyed because I was obviously planning on drawing deer off his place onto mine. But if I had a larger place that could support its own deer herd, I wouldn't mind. In fact, I'd rather him have his blind on the fence line and sight lines facing into his property.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: Drop 1] #5946340 09/25/15 05:53 PM
S
Scoop Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Drop 1
It can be a little aggravating to say the least. I found that our neighbor set up shop on our adjoining fence line with a feeder no more than 75/80 yards from the fence, what is unfortunate is I have an established bow set offset from the fence ( 80-100 yrds.) directly in line with him. so in essence I was crowding the fence first I suppose, this bow set was for a southern wind. What is more disappointing is that my rifle set is close to 200 yards off of this fence in plain sight of the new blind. Again, it is established and had been there for 8 years this year. I just don't see how someone can hunt in such a dilapidated blind. One good blind fart and all 4 walls would blow apart

IMO putting a blind/feeder close to the fence effectively gives everybody permission to do the same. I let my neighbors know I won't hunt the fence lines as long as I get the same courtesy from them. First dibs mean nothing. The guy I bought my property from years ago had established blinds in 6 places along the fence line before any neighbors were there (land was unused in a large family trust) but I moved them or just didn't hunt them so I could expect the same from others. All but one respected that so he is getting high fenced. Not much else you can really do legally. The fact that I pretty much know that this particular neighbor also stalks in and poaches my food plot and water troughs when he knows I am not there is also a factor in fencing my place better along his border.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5946343 09/25/15 05:58 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Wow, that link to that proposed bill would make it impossible to hunt a 300 yard by 300 yard property, which is 18 acres. I don't think that would be very popular!

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5946378 09/25/15 06:17 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I'm still trying to determine how not hunting fence lines improves hunting? We're all hunting the same deer, so why does it matter if the neighbor shoots it 50yrds from your fence or 500yrds into the interior of his property?

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5947144 09/26/15 02:57 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
We're all hunting the same deer, so why does it matter if the neighbor shoots it 50yrds from your fence or 500yrds into the interior of his property?

Simple. People think that deer on their land are their property and not the State's property and so they get mad when somebody tries to steal their deer.

I have to laugh at a lot of this nonsense. If you put up a feeder within a half mile of another person's hunting spot, you may be drawing away deer from that other person's spot. For all I know, the influence could be a much greater distance.

I have a neighbor over a half mile from my place with a feeder in his back yard and a game camera. There are two other properties between his place and mine. I mentioned having a bizarre palmate-antlered deer (one side only) on my place and he showed my pics of a deer like that from his yard. Same deer, same antlers, same scars. For a while, we even compared travel times between his game camera pics and mine. The lowest amount of time that the deer showed at both spots was just over a half hour. Usually if the deer showed at both, the gap was closer to two hours, and usually hitting my place earlier in the night than his place.

Should I be mad at him for pulling deer away from my property?

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5950606 09/28/15 05:50 PM
T
TBS Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I was hunting on 40 acres a few years ago. My ground blind was set up in some trees about 20 yards off the fence line. I had a great view of my property and the neighbors. I saw the biggest deer I have ever seen on the neighbors property. I watched him for 30 minutes and he got within 100 yards of me. I never even picked up the rifle because I was always taught you don't have the right to shoot across that fence line. I will be an ethical hunter and not break the laws, but if it is my land then I have the right to sit on the fence line and hunt my property.

Now for the funny ending. The deer walked away and I never saw it again. I was telling the landowner about this nice 10 point I saw and he asked why I did not shoot it. I told him I would never shoot across a fence line on to someone else's property. He looked at me and said that was his brothers property and I had permission to hunt it as well. There were several open connecting gates for the cattle. I hunted that same spot a few more times and never saw that big old deer.

Last edited by TBS; 09/28/15 06:00 PM.

"I Ain't Often Right But I've Never Been Wrong"

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5953054 09/29/15 09:39 PM
J
JRR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I own and live on 30 acres in grayson county, my stand is in tree right on back fence line. My land, my rules but I sure appreciate some trying to decide what I can and cannot do on my own property......

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5953218 09/29/15 11:28 PM
L
Lonnie Paul Walker Jr. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I will admit I put a blind on the fence the other day backed in the corner next to the neighbors. I did it out of safety reason so that anyone hunting in the blind would be shooting into our property and a semi hill for a back stop. I worry a whole lot more where the bullet goes after the shot than most people, because you just can not be too careful. I went as far as trying to leave a my card on the gate to let the neighbors know what and why I was doing what I did, but no calls yet. I do believe it is best to get along with neighbors, because you never know when you might need them. Good points from many.

Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

"Lonnie Walker Outdoors"
Outfitter / Professional Guide
Wildlife Consultant
817-598-5338

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: JRR] #5953316 09/30/15 12:35 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: JRR
I own and live on 30 acres in grayson county, my stand is in tree right on back fence line. My land, my rules but I sure appreciate some trying to decide what I can and cannot do on my own property......

It is your land - your home is your land - so you are correct - you can DECIDE what to do on you property. If your decision affects your neighbor in a negative way then by law you can do that but is it the right thing to do?

I equate this thread to the same as how you live next to your neighbors in your home. You have the "right" to let your dogs bark all night at your neighbors window. You have the "right" to have lights shining into your neighbors window all night. But is that the "right" thing to do? Sorry but I am old school and always will be. "Respect your neighbor" is a saying that has stood the test of time whether at your home or on your deer hunting area. I would not dream of placing a stand or feeder right on a fence line no matter what the size of property because I would never want my neighbor thinking I wanted what he has. It is a simple matter of respecting those around you and treating others as you would like to be treated -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: tlk] #5953471 09/30/15 01:38 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: tlk
Originally Posted By: JRR

It is your land - your home is your land - so you are correct - you can DECIDE what to do on you property. If your decision affects your neighbor in a negative way then by law you can do that but is it the right thing to do?

I equate this thread to the same as how you live next to your neighbors in your home. You have the "right" to let your dogs bark all night at your neighbors window. You have the "right" to have lights shining into your neighbors window all night. But is that the "right" thing to do? Sorry but I am old school and always will be. "Respect your neighbor" is a saying that has stood the test of time whether at your home or on your deer hunting area. I would not dream of placing a stand or feeder right on a fence line no matter what the size of property because I would never want my neighbor thinking I wanted what he has. It is a simple matter of respecting those around you and treating others as you would like to be treated -

Well said and agree up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5953616 09/30/15 02:35 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
I equate this thread to the same as how you live next to your neighbors in your home. You have the "right" to let your dogs bark all night at your neighbors window. You have the "right" to have lights shining into your neighbors window all night. But is that the "right" thing to do? Sorry but I am old school and always will be. "Respect your neighbor" is a saying that has stood the test of time whether at your home or on your deer hunting area.

Poor analogy. While my dogs barking all night creates a disturbing sound that crosses property lines that my keep my neighbors from getting a good night of sleep, I don't see how my hunting stand near the property line does anything at all to my neighbor. It doesn't cross the property line. There is no disrespect to the neighbor. If the neighbor feels disrespected, then he just needs to grow up. The neighbor is welcome to put up his stand on the other side of the fence as well. In fact, I would enjoy the company.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5953631 09/30/15 02:42 AM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
I equate this thread to the same as how you live next to your neighbors in your home. You have the "right" to let your dogs bark all night at your neighbors window. You have the "right" to have lights shining into your neighbors window all night. But is that the "right" thing to do? Sorry but I am old school and always will be. "Respect your neighbor" is a saying that has stood the test of time whether at your home or on your deer hunting area.

Poor analogy. While my dogs barking all night creates a disturbing sound that crosses property lines that my keep my neighbors from getting a good night of sleep, I don't see how my hunting stand near the property line does anything at all to my neighbor. It doesn't cross the property line. There is no disrespect to the neighbor. If the neighbor feels disrespected, then he just needs to grow up. The neighbor is welcome to put up his stand on the other side of the fence as well. In fact, I would enjoy the company.

Actually, barking dogs may qualify as a misdemeanor infraction, ticketable, blind placement on a fenceline is not. Not a bad analogy, just not a valid one.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5953637 09/30/15 02:45 AM
W
Western Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
You put your stand by the fence, all good. You neighbor put his just across the fence and y'all become pals, all good. You get in your stand an hr before shooting time as a rule, neighbor likes to be there just as the feeder goes off......And leave when he still has light....How it was done to me once and it really sucked.

That is the only real thing I don't like about a blind or feeder on my fence, mine or someone else's. That is assuming the blind is by the fence and not the feeder, don't want bullets flying my direction, just funny that way I guess.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5953648 09/30/15 02:51 AM
O
Oneshot.308 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Safety should be paramount. To me it's not about telling people what they can or cant do on their property. Just basic common sense, however that's not so common anymore. I agree that I would rather see a blind on a fence line than a feeder on it with the blind facing the fence line. I have blind on the south side of our lease facing INTO our property about 100-150 yards off the fence line with my feeder further in about another 90 yards. Behind this one blind the lease holders to our south have a feeder right on the fence line ( within 10 yards ) with their blind facing at an angle towards our shared fence line. Scares the hell out of me every time I hear the feeder go off, I'm just waiting on the shot to go off. I've asked them to switch them but haven't gotten much traction on that. Some people just don't understand the basics of safety. Not much else I can do without creating some issues that will just escalate the problem. As it stands now there will be NO PERMISSION TO RECOVER their game unless they agree to move the feeder.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5953666 09/30/15 03:04 AM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I always try to go out of my way to get along with the neighbors. I put up with minor infractions, and wait till we are friends before asking about something that they might get crossways about. I always think it's better to go slow and be friendly than to make enemies and be frustrated with each other for the rest of our lives.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5953674 09/30/15 03:09 AM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I always try and mind my own... seems to be the best way to respect someone... by not butting into their business

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5953675 09/30/15 03:10 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Time to insert a corner post since the dogs have been brought in grin

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: Navasot] #5953686 09/30/15 03:17 AM
W
Western Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Navasot
I always try and mind my own... seems to be the best way to respect someone... by not butting into their business

Easy for you to say, since you don't hunt on fences peep

Agree for the most part though, as long as I am not effected, expect the same of my neighbors, would rather they discuss an issue they feel I cause, rather then let something fester.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: stxranchman] #5953776 09/30/15 05:09 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Time to insert a corner post since the dogs have been brought in grin

I'll add another one...

Bad thing is I really want to hunt that spot.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5953949 09/30/15 12:51 PM
S
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
putting a hunting blind on a fence line and shooting parallel to the fence on your own property is not considered rude by me
now, letting your cedar trees grow through my fence and damage it and not lift a finger to control your trees leaning over to my property is a different story because I have to do labor and spend money because of your neglect

The only easy day was yesterday

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5954339 09/30/15 04:08 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:

Really?

So if the neighbor shows up to hunt 30 minutes after sunup and runs off the deer your looking at are you still "enjoying" his company? Then after fidgiting around in his blind and making all kinds of noise things finally settle back down. 30 minutes later he gets down out of his blind to go take a dump. Then at 9:00 gets out of the blind and fires up his truck and heads back to camp. Are you still enjoying his company, are you sorry to see him leave and head back to camp?

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 09/30/15 04:13 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5955689 10/01/15 11:38 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Well I guess I'm not as good a neighbor as some of y'all. I've got a ring of blind's bordering the outside of my place and they're there for one reason only and that's to pull deer off of my place. Is it legal no doubt about it but it's also rude, inconsiderate and pretty much the flying finger in the face of your neighbor. Put a blind on the fence-line and no amount of talking will convince me your being neighborly, you said all you need to say by doing so. I have 12 places that I feed on my place and not one of them is closer than 200 yards from the fence and none can be seen from neighboring property. The last of 8 miles of new fence was completed last year and I took extra care in making sure I now have a clear driving lane around the entire exterior of the place and I now use it exclusively to get to different feeding site's and ground blind's. If all that activity screw's up your hunting the fence-line then that's just too damn bad. 20 years ago I didn't have to do that but 20 years ago I didn't have 12 feeders and 14 blind's sitting with 2-50 yards from the fence-line. Mrs. B and I will take about 2 buck's a year, my brother and a friend from Cali will take a couple of more with other close friends taking a few doe's. We average about 8 deer a year taken off three sections and that's about all I feel comfortable taking and keeping a good healthy herd for next year. Now with everybody sitting on fence-lines we're looking at 20 plus deer a year coming off my place and it can't sustain that type of loss. Why do I say coming off my place? That one's easy they're hunting open pasture area's and I have the only water and bedding area's within a few miles. It's not my fault they decided to grub the 12 sections east of me or spray the 5 sections on my west side in an effort to kill all the mesquites, cactus and cedars, they did it to themselves. If I don't high-fence in a couple of years my deer population is going into the chitter, they've already killed every damn turkey in the area so it's just a matter of time before the deer follow suit. Since we have such a good crop of quail this year I plan on hunting them early and often and since I now have such good perimeter road's they will be the one's most traveled. If that screws up their hunting too damn bad! I was a good neighbor 20 year's ago but after an onslaught of lease hunters setting up on fence-line's that has changed. So as the fence-line hunting continue's so will the hi-fence business grow, you reap what you sow. So am I now considered an arsehole most likely but it took 20 year's of putting up with those damn fence-line hunters to turn me into one. It didn't have to be like this but respect and consideration for your neighbor is lost on some people.

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 10/01/15 11:39 AM.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy] #5955798 10/01/15 01:09 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy
That's a tough spot. But until there is law against it there is nothing you can do. Would be nice if there was an incrochment law like there is when building a home near a property line

20 years ago I wouldn't have supported such a law, today I would not only support it but send money to the campaign of anybody trying to push it through the state legislature.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5955911 10/01/15 02:27 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Your land. Your fence. NOT your deer. It's not like if they move the feeder 200 yards off your fence that they won't still be drawing deer from you, especially if you have the only cover. Deer come and go. Had a huge 10 pt on our place in 1984, neighbor killed it about a mile away. How far away is far enough to satisfy you?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: HWY_MAN] #5955926 10/01/15 02:36 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Well I guess I'm not as good a neighbor as some of y'all. I've got a ring of blind's bordering the outside of my place and they're there for one reason only and that's to pull deer off of my place. Is it legal no doubt about it but it's also rude, inconsiderate and pretty much the flying finger in the face of your neighbor. Put a blind on the fence-line and no amount of talking will convince me your being neighborly, you said all you need to say by doing so. I have 12 places that I feed on my place and not one of them is closer than 200 yards from the fence and none can be seen from neighboring property. The last of 8 miles of new fence was completed last year and I took extra care in making sure I now have a clear driving lane around the entire exterior of the place and I now use it exclusively to get to different feeding site's and ground blind's. If all that activity screw's up your hunting the fence-line then that's just too damn bad. 20 years ago I didn't have to do that but 20 years ago I didn't have 12 feeders and 14 blind's sitting with 2-50 yards from the fence-line. Mrs. B and I will take about 2 buck's a year, my brother and a friend from Cali will take a couple of more with other close friends taking a few doe's. We average about 8 deer a year taken off three sections and that's about all I feel comfortable taking and keeping a good healthy herd for next year. Now with everybody sitting on fence-lines we're looking at 20 plus deer a year coming off my place and it can't sustain that type of loss. Why do I say coming off my place? That one's easy they're hunting open pasture area's and I have the only water and bedding area's within a few miles. It's not my fault they decided to grub the 12 sections east of me or spray the 5 sections on my west side in an effort to kill all the mesquites, cactus and cedars, they did it to themselves. If I don't high-fence in a couple of years my deer population is going into the chitter, they've already killed every damn turkey in the area so it's just a matter of time before the deer follow suit. Since we have such a good crop of quail this year I plan on hunting them early and often and since I now have such good perimeter road's they will be the one's most traveled. If that screws up their hunting too damn bad! I was a good neighbor 20 year's ago but after an onslaught of lease hunters setting up on fence-line's that has changed. So as the fence-line hunting continue's so will the hi-fence business grow, you reap what you sow. So am I now considered an arsehole most likely but it took 20 year's of putting up with those damn fence-line hunters to turn me into one. It didn't have to be like this but respect and consideration for your neighbor is lost on some people.

Good post. Well said.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide