Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Payne] #5690166 04/08/15 05:15 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Payne
why does anyone care how anyone else hunts if it's legal and ethical?

Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Payne] #5690171 04/08/15 05:17 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Payne
why does anyone care how anyone else hunts if it's legal and ethical?

They are wannabe's.

Quote:
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

-ERNEST HEMINGWAY

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5690184 04/08/15 05:27 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
When I don't feel like going to the stand I hunt off my porch with a cold beer.....

Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5690189 04/08/15 05:28 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Id also hunt a blind and do it myself rather than pay someone to tell me how to do something

Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5690193 04/08/15 05:30 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
But I respect your way of hunting and see nothing wrong with it.. its nothing more than opinions

Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Navasot] #5690934 04/09/15 12:51 AM
C
Chunky Monkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Navasot
But I respect your way of hunting and see nothing wrong with it.. its nothing more than opinions

Kudos brutha

Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5690963 04/09/15 01:13 AM
Beaubien Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
To each his own. I have done both. I enjoy both. I don't care what others do as long as it doesn't harm me or break laws.

Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5691138 04/09/15 02:41 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Chunky Monkey
Hello guys and gals,

I know what I am about to say is going to light a fire under some of your....

But!! hear me out.

I saw on a recent post where someone commented on a buddy giving them a hard time for hunting over corn and in a blind.

Now, I see it on both sides of the argument.

For me personally, I won't hunt under corn in a blind unless I'm invited to do so because I refuse to spend good money on hunting unless I'm doing it the way I prefer. That way is not sitting in a blind. I have been hunting since I was a boy and I just don't find it appealing anymore (if I have to pay for it). I prefer to go scout and hunt Colorado. Hook up with a guide in Canada if I'm going to spend that type of money.

That being said, some of the best times of my life was going to my families lease and sitting in blind. Not just the hunting aspect but the camaraderie as well.

So, I guess I will just ask the hard question and allow you to chime in.

Is it wrong or lesser to hunt over corn and sit in a covered blind?

Let the beating begin..........

Thanks,
CM

It's funny you put this in the original post. Because on all of the hunting programs I see of Canadian hunts, all of the guys I know that have been up there, they all sit in a blind over feed. So what's your sour grapes really about? Or are you just trolling because it's the boring off season?

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5691139 04/09/15 02:42 AM
J
j-thames Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
I like to hunt period. Spot and stalk is a lot of fun but so is sitting in a blind watching a feeder or oat patch with my 4 year old.

Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: passthru] #5692173 04/09/15 05:56 PM
C
Chunky Monkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: passthru

It's funny you put this in the original post. Because on all of the hunting programs I see of Canadian hunts, all of the guys I know that have been up there, they all sit in a blind over feed. So what's your sour grapes really about? Or are you just trolling because it's the boring off season?

Sorry if my original post offended you. That was not my intention at all.

That being said, I have never hunted up there in a blind or over feed.

No sour grapes here. Just asking and giving my opinion.

Thanks,
CM

Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: SniperRAB] #5692212 04/09/15 06:12 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
I hunt for my personal enjoyment. I don't judge what others do, or care how they go about enjoying their free time. I've hunted every way possible from working dogs, doing drives, sitting in a blind, backpacking and horseback riding into the wilderness, sitting in the back of a truck, road hunting, flying into camp on floats and tundra tires and good ole hiking the trails. All have their pros and cons, all where great times and there isn't one method that is better then the other.

I think the real question is why would anybody care what another does if it is legal?

Nailed it....

I think this pretty well covers it.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5692460 04/09/15 08:42 PM
O
okbowhunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
O
I've hunted every way there is to hunt some successfully most days not. Always legal.
With a bow you still have to draw back and shoot them while they are close even if it's a doe eating at a feeder she will bust you.

Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5693391 04/10/15 12:14 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Is it wrong or lesser to hunt over corn and sit in a covered blind?

All hunters try to go where the animals are going to be. Corn is just one of those things that helps the hunter know. Even most hunters that don't hunt over "bait" per se often do, be it a corn or other agricultural field, natural berry patch or other natural food resource, water hole, game trail with good tracks, bedding area, etc. You never hear a hunter say something like, "There is no cover, food, water, or sign here. This is where we should hunt."

I know a guy who is big into the whole idea that hunting over corn isn't real hunting nonsense. He grows the prettiest food plot each year and that is where he hunts. He doesn't understand that he is still using bait.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5693476 04/10/15 01:06 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Chunky Monkey
Originally Posted By: passthru

Sorry if my original post offended you. That was not my intention at all.

That being said, I have never hunted up there in a blind or over feed.

No sour grapes here. Just asking and giving my opinion.

Thanks,
CM

You haven't been posting on here for long so maybe you don't know and I jumped on you too quickly and too hard. I apologize for that.

We see plenty of instigating threads on here and really it shouldn't be that way. To me that is what your comments were trying to do. Stir the pot and enjoy the bickering. And that's not what forums like this should be about.

As for me I've hunted in several states for varying game. I've use multiple methods successfully and some I am better at than others. I know what I prefer, what I am willing to do and what is legal. What I do though is most often dictated by where and whom I'm hunting with. So if it's over bait on my lease in Texas, in a tree or box stand in wood lots and crop fields of Missouri, doing deer drives or tracking deer in the snow through the swamps and hardwoods of New York or spot and stalk in the aspen groves and mesas of Colorado or New Mexico I will do what is needed to have a successful hunt.

There are several hunts that I don't do, like bear or ram hunts, because they aren't my thing. But I don't denigrate my friends because they choose to go and enjoy those hunts. It's their money, time and enjoyment. When they get back I get to hear their stories of the times they enjoyed and I'm grateful to share that time around the campfire with them as well.

If it's legal, ethical, successful, enjoyable and satisfying to me I'm in. If you have a different way that makes you happy, enjoy the hell out of it.

Because in the end that is what this is about. Being out there and enjoying the bounty God has given to us in a responsible and grateful manner. This is getting away from those things that we have to do to make living possible. The stress of work, traffic and politics. The way we get back to who we were created to be in places that allow us to breath and clear our minds a spirits of all that other clutter. It's how we know when we eat that our hand was in it from the beginning to the end and we take responsibility for the lost life that is on the plate before us.

It's things we will never able to fully understand ourselves much less explain to others.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5696040 04/12/15 03:04 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Cast said it pretty well in a response some ways back on this thread. As for hunting from a blind or not, most of my life I hunted from off an upside down grease bucket or a canvas stool or off a ladder stand. Right out in the rain or snow or just flat cold days of winter. Nowdays mostly I just hunt from an enclosed blind that has a nice swivel chair and windows and a heater. I don't even need to shoot anything, though I truly love to see a coyote walk into range.

When I moved to Texas (from NE Louisiana...Waterproof, LA, if any of ya'll know where that is) I discovered enclosed blinds. Wow! What a great idea. So I made one from treated wood and treated plywood (Man, that thing was heavy) for my Dad. He was in his mid 70's I guess, and was just getting too old to climb trees. He LOVED that blind. Had his swivel chair and heater and sliding windows. His only minor complaint was hunting from it in the rain. Said the rain on the tin roof always put him to sleep.

So happy hunting can be all sorts of things to different folks. Sleeping is even included. Drinking coffee is included also.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5696211 04/12/15 06:28 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
The real question is how do you feel about croaker fishing for speckled trout?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5696213 04/12/15 06:29 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I see no foul in hunting deer over any type of food attraction, so long as people consume the resource and obey bag limits.

However, I feel strongly the sport is being threatened by hunters who ONLY hunt deer over food plots and feeders. There WILL come a day when the non-hunting majority will start asking where is the sport that once required more knowledge and skill than changing batteries and sitting in an old office chair.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5696216 04/12/15 06:31 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
As long as the chair has Arms...I like arms on my Chair

Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5696229 04/12/15 06:46 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Growing up I didn't hunt over bait per se, but when the fields surrounding the woods are full of corn, beans and sugar beets it's not as if you aren't. Elevated blinds during firearms season were illegal then so I would try to find a spot where a couple trails intersected and then sit down against a tree. After the first week of a 2 week season, we would get together and drive deer.

Nowadays I have feeders, and hunt out of a ladder stand mostly. The feeders are always at least 200 yards away and in some cases I can't see them from the stand. I still try to hunt trail intersections when possible. I hunt ladder stands because I like to be out in the elements and feel that I can see and hear better. Some days I really wish I had a box blind and a heater.

Never in all my years of hunting have I thought that the way anyone was hunting was wrong or inferior, provided it was legal. Everyone enjoys being outdoors/hunting in different ways. The important thing is that you are out there, in my opinion.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #5696279 04/12/15 07:43 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
Growing up I didn't hunt over bait per se, but when the fields surrounding the woods are full of corn, beans and sugar beets it's not as if you aren't. Elevated blinds during firearms season were illegal then so I would try to find a spot where a couple trails intersected and then sit down against a tree. After the first week of a 2 week season, we would get together and drive deer.

Nowadays I have feeders, and hunt out of a ladder stand mostly. The feeders are always at least 200 yards away and in some cases I can't see them from the stand. I still try to hunt trail intersections when possible. I hunt ladder stands because I like to be out in the elements and feel that I can see and hear better. Some days I really wish I had a box blind and a heater.

Never in all my years of hunting have I thought that the way anyone was hunting was wrong or inferior, provided it was legal. Everyone enjoys being outdoors/hunting in different ways. The important thing is that you are out there, in my opinion.

Well Said, a few on here need to make a sandwich out of that quote and eat it

Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: dogcatcher] #5697479 04/13/15 04:33 PM
B
BIGDOG1956 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
If it is legal I am okay with it.

I agree with this. There are times in the deer season when the acorns have dropped the corn will pile up at the feeders.

Is it done different to put out apples and other food in a bait pile and hunt 100 or 200 yards away from it because that is legal in northern states.

In my book that is the same type of hunting. I just hunt and enjoy the outdoors and friend and family

Re: Hunting in a blind [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5697808 04/13/15 07:46 PM
J
JHOG Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Have no problem with hunting over baits. Have killed a few deer doing so (Some with the help of deer dander, that stuff is amazing by the way.) Have also killed hogs that have been coming in to feed, at night it makes it that much more exciting. As long as it's legal hunters should hunt however they want to. It's fun to spot and stalk and fun to sit in the blind. Hunting over feeders or other baits doesn't guarantee anything. Some years I don't see a thing. The hunter still has to make a great humane shot, be quiet, and be good enough to fool the deer into thinking no one is there.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide