Forums46
Topics538,279
Posts9,735,201
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Nolser Ballistic Tips.....Love 'em or hate 'em? [Re: txtrophy85] #5683157 04/03/15 09:13 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
I could be mistaken but isn't a ballistic tip nothing more than a cup and core bullet with a plastic insert instead of a lead tip?

I find it hard to believe all the horror stories about them unless they are pushed to extreme velocities

The Ballistic Tips replaced the old Solid Base line of bullets about 25 years ago. When they were first introduced, Nosler made no change to the design of the core or jacket except to add the polymer tip. The tip acts as a wedge as it is pushed back into the core of the bullet. So early Ballistic Tips quickly developed a reputation for being very "soft",or explosive, and acting much like varmint bullets.

Nosler has allegedly redesigned the bullets and now the boxes are marked as "Hunting" bullets or "Varmint" bullets. And the newer "Hunting" Bullets are supposed to be much less explosive.

Re: Nolser Ballistic Tips.....Love 'em or hate 'em? [Re: txtrophy85] #5683218 04/03/15 09:55 PM
S
Savage388 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
The one I shot with my 7mm was out in a draw rooting. He had dug quite a hole. I shot him with his head in the hole, not really knowing how big he was. He ran for about 30 yards on his chest before getting his legs under him. Never saw him again

I shot the largest one with my .270. Once facing me right in the chest. It took off and I hit it again. Never saw it again.

Re: Nolser Ballistic Tips.....Love 'em or hate 'em? [Re: Drop Tine] #5683386 04/04/15 12:23 AM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've told the story before, but...

Way back when we had the first generation of Nosler BT's, I went on a deer/hog hunt as a guest. Ranch owner said if we saw a monster hog, shoot him, but for heaven's sake don't wound him. Apparently this hog was just walking through fences like they were spider webs. So..I'm in this small ground blind when a nice 8 point showed up (turned out to have no brow tines, so it was a 6). That was sort of early in the afternoon. As it got toward dusk, small hogs showed up. Then bigger hogs showed up. Then the Godzilla of hogs showed up. Looked like a VW Bug with tusks. I had never seen anything like it. He grabbed my 6 point like it was a bag of potato chips. I guess he was gonna eat my deer. I really wondered if I had brought enough gun to this gunfight. Had a 270 with first gen 130 gr BT's. Figured go big or go home, so I shot him right behind the shoulder. Down he went. Twitched a bit and grunted, but didn't get back up. The bullet lodged in the shield on the far side of the hog. He weighed right at 400 pounds.

If you are having problems with dropping the critters, it probably isn't the fault of the bullet. Not trying to hurt your feelings, but there's nothing wrong with Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets. Look to your bullet placement as the problem. I'm about 200 or so deer into using Nosler BT's and I'm perfectly happy. Just pick your shot a bit more carefully.

They do have 'hunting' and 'varmint' BT's. If the bullet is less than 95 grains (that would be a 243 bullet) it's a varmint bullet.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Nolser Ballistic Tips.....Love 'em or hate 'em? [Re: Drop Tine] #5683749 04/04/15 04:20 AM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R

I killed some hogs with some .22 rim fire 39 grain rn today, and the other picture is a 55 grain .223 soft point that was on the back side shoulder under the skin of a 180 pound buck that I killed this year. Its the weapon of choice for me on deer, and notice how the soft point held its weight retention and didn't hollow out and fall apart. The deception that the bullet makers advertise is that their bullets always mushroom perfectly and I take that for granted, but they don't. The BT and NP lovers recognize that the bullets they use shed a substantial amount of weight after retrieved and still like them. I would rather use a bullet that is still all there and mushroomed with a lead core. This tells me that the bullet did the proper job and didn't separate. And by the way those deer shot with the NPs didn't fall on sticks. I know 100% that the deer that I shot with the NP flew apart and went left and right because Im the one who shot the deer and skinned the deer. Sometimes when bullets glance off bone they come out a little off track, but if they separate when glanced they can go anywhere. up

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Nolser Ballistic Tips.....Love 'em or hate 'em? [Re: Savage388] #5683771 04/04/15 05:03 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Savage388
The one I shot with my 7mm was out in a draw rooting. He had dug quite a hole. I shot him with his head in the hole, not really knowing how big he was. He ran for about 30 yards on his chest before getting his legs under him. Never saw him again

I shot the largest one with my .270. Once facing me right in the chest. It took off and I hit it again. Never saw it again.

I've killed two very big hogs, one fell too a interlock under the ear the second a BT under the ear. Both from a .270

Neither pig took a single step

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Nosler Ballistic Tips.....Love 'em or hate 'em? [Re: Drop Tine] #5684153 04/04/15 04:32 PM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I like them but the real truth is shot location is what is most important.

Re: Nolser Ballistic Tips.....Love 'em or hate 'em? [Re: dee] #5684859 04/05/15 11:40 AM
C
crowhorse Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted By: dee
Stay off heavy bone and under 3200fps impact speeds then they are great.

this

Re: Nolser Ballistic Tips.....Love 'em or hate 'em? [Re: crowhorse] #5685135 04/05/15 04:36 PM
O
oulufinn Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
Don't really hate 'em, but sure don't love 'em.

Barnes TSX and TTSX for the last 10-15 years have convinced me that I don't need to use Ballistic Tips, or other frangible pills. I like to not worry about pushing a bullet too fast, avoiding bone and/or tough angles to ensure penetration, etc.

Plenty of folks love 'em, they just aren't my number one choice in most situations.

NRA Life Member

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen" ~ Dennis Prager
Re: Nolser Ballistic Tips.....Love 'em or hate 'em? [Re: Drop Tine] #5686432 04/06/15 03:46 PM
G
Gangly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I could care less about shoulder meat so massive exit wound is no problem for me. If I cared about ever ounce of meat, I wouldn't use the ballistic tips. What I do care about is a quick death with little blood trailing. They work for me, massive exit wounds and little trailing.

150 grn 30-06.

Aaron

Do it right, do it once.
Re: Nolser Ballistic Tips.....Love 'em or hate 'em? [Re: Drop Tine] #5686450 04/06/15 03:59 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I have tried them and I like their accuracy but I still stick with my Sierra Game King bullets. I just have guns that seem to like those bullets better. I think I get a better grouping and a kill shot with the GK over the BT. To each their own on what their guns like and what they prefer, I guess.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide