Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Safety Question [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #5662025 03/21/15 06:26 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

The more I think about this, the more I realize what bothers me about drinking and loaded firearms. If the first try doesn't work, someone could be dead as a result of that failure.

And I use to just think of it that way looking at accident's happening. But a couple years ago I met a guy that told me about his brother being killed by another hunter on a lease they were on together. A new hunter to the lease that seemed like a nice guy until he got really intoxicated, like the Dr. Jeckel Mr Hyde thing. Apparently one night his brother got into an argument with this guy while he was the intoxicated Dr. Jeckel. Next thing he knows he's waking up to the gun shots of his brother being shot by this dude.

That was a pretty scary thought when I think of all the situations I've been in at deer camps with guys arguing with each other usually as a result of a guy being too drunk and obnoxious and somebody finally getting fed up with it. I'm glad to say it hasn't happened alot, but it has a few times in my 35 years of hunting.

Makes me understand why ranches that do guided hunts with people they don't really know put away the firearms when any alcohol is being served and can't afford for accident's to happen hunting as a result of someone drinking too much.

Pitchfork if it's bothering you this much then I think you should just make a no drinking rule. There are plenty of guys that don't drink looking for a place to hunt. Your the one that is in charge so just be up front with everyone on the issue and you shouldn't have a problem. I like to have a few beers while I hunt but I wouldn't quit hunting if I couldn't. Your the man who is trying to make it safe for everyone so if your not comfortable with it then just squash it from the get go.

Re: Safety Question [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5662028 03/21/15 06:28 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
If a guy throws a fit about having to wait until evening to drink, that is a pretty good sign he may not have very good control of it in the first place. Real grownups can go 12 hours without drinking just fine.

If a grown up throws a fit about anything, then they aren't really grown up anyway.

Re: Safety Question [Re: corkys son] #5662147 03/21/15 08:15 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I think I'm going to just have the if you drink your through hunting for the day rule.

And add a rule that if you get really intoxicated you have ended the season.

Enough said.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Safety Question [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #5662173 03/21/15 08:51 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I think I'm going to just have the if you drink your through hunting for the day rule.

And add a rule that if you get really intoxicated you have ended the season.

Enough said.

up

Re: Safety Question [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #5662564 03/22/15 01:06 AM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
No drinking during daylight Hrs is a whole lot easier to deal with than trying to decide when too much is enough. As said before there are hunters to take their place if they don't like it.

Re: Safety Question [Re: corkys son] #5663371 03/22/15 04:26 PM
D
DudleyDoRight76 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
You said it yourself Corky.... Why not go after the 2 and leave the 12 alone?? Sounds like a few a messing it up for everyone!

Alvin Lodge 762
Re: Safety Question [Re: corkys son] #5663931 03/22/15 10:23 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Getting chitfaced drunk is stupid in the first place. No argument here. But a couple of beers while waiting on stand, perfectly acceptable in my world. I know the two perps Pitchfork Predator was reffering to. They were chitfaced drunks. They no longer hunt the pitchfork.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Safety Question [Re: Erathkid] #5663939 03/22/15 10:27 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Getting chitfaced drunk is stupid in the first place. No argument here. But a couple of beers while waiting on stand, perfectly acceptable in my world. I know the two perps Pitchfork Predator was reffering to. They were chitfaced drunks. They no longer hunt the pitchfork.

Yeah I have visited several places where the deer lease is just a place to get away from Momma and get plastered. I am frankly amazed there are not way more shooting incidents than there actually are.....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Safety Question [Re: corkys son] #5663991 03/22/15 10:53 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If I'm handling firearms I do not drink. I expect the same from anybody hunting with me.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Safety Question [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5664206 03/23/15 12:31 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

Yeah I have visited several places where the deer lease is just a place to get away from Momma and get plastered. I am frankly amazed there are not way more shooting incidents than there actually are.....

Thats not a deer lease then!

Re: Safety Question [Re: BOONER] #5664240 03/23/15 12:45 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOONER

Thats not a deer lease then!

I agree. But there are tons of 'em.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Safety Question [Re: corkys son] #5664249 03/23/15 12:49 AM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I sometimes will pack a beer in my back pack. It makes for a relaxing chill down while sitting after a long walk. Water is good too. I like to sit over a valley and think about old times. Key words one beer, and I hunt alone a lot and not on a deer lease. When my friend goes that likes to pack a beer we both chill together. A lot of beer and guns on a populated deer lease could get a little harry. Ive seen it. Watched 3 guys get into a shouting match over how to skin a deer while drinking. Kinda freeky and funny. Im talking about you could hear these dudes a mile away. rock_on

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Safety Question [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5664263 03/23/15 12:55 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

That goes to show you that drinking and safety go hand in hand! cheers

Re: Safety Question [Re: corkys son] #5664272 03/23/15 12:58 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I think most of the guys that are asses when they drink are probably asses before they start! Just my 2cents

Re: Safety Question [Re: BOONER] #5664677 03/23/15 04:51 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: BOONER
I think most of the guys that are asses when they drink are probably asses before they start! Just my 2cents
I will agree with that. Being intoxicated does bring out the real A..hole in a person, not always, but mostly. If a person has the propensity to be a d...head alcohol will probably intensify that.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Safety Question [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5664680 03/23/15 04:59 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B

I agree.

Re: Safety Question [Re: corkys son] #5666007 03/24/15 12:29 AM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Just picture three drunk dudes at night under a street light with bloody arms and hands, and holding big knives arguing about how to skin a deer real loud like. It will make you stand back about twenty feet. duel

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide