Forums46
Topics538,031
Posts9,732,153
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr [Re: Sniper John] #5604592 02/17/15 09:05 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Originally Posted By: Fooshman
Can you legally hunt migratory birds with a silencer?

It first became legal for game animals in TX in 2012. Oklahoma unfortunately it is not legal for public land, only by landowners and guests on private land. There is supposed to be a new Bill introduced in OK that would legalize for public. Hoping it is not like their open carry law which excludes non residents. Louisiana only recently legalized it as well.

I knew that just didn't know about Migratory with all the special rules.

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr [Re: pervis] #5604594 02/17/15 09:06 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
And it looks like the guy in the video is using federal 7.5 metrofield lead.
The decibel sounds exactly the same as the metrobarel, just shorter by 2 feet

So to me, just like the metrobarel, its not a silencer.
Gw told me last year that a true silencer is still illegal to hunt birds with.
The metrobarel is legal.

Whats the defenition of a silencer anyway? Below 82 decibel?

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr [Re: Navasot] #5604603 02/17/15 09:09 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Wish I could apply for a silencer... never wanted one but on a shotty would be pretty sweet

What's stopping you?

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr [Re: Fooshman] #5604758 02/17/15 10:36 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Wish I could apply for a silencer... never wanted one but on a shotty would be pretty sweet

What's stopping you?

Past demons

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr [Re: pervis] #5604840 02/17/15 11:32 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
A question I have is whether or not a subsonic shotgun round would effectively cycle the action on a SA shotgun without modification to the action.

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr [Re: pervis] #5605046 02/18/15 01:20 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
There looks to be a second suppressor option out there.
http://www.metrogun.com/orion.html

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr [Re: aerangis] #5605223 02/18/15 02:30 AM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: aerangis
A question I have is whether or not a subsonic shotgun round would effectively cycle the action on a SA shotgun without modification to the action.

As I said earlier, no experience with a shotgun with suppressor, but a subsonic round will not eject out of a stock semi auto 7.62. I would assume it would be the same out of a semi auto shotgun

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr [Re: beaversnipe] #5606019 02/18/15 03:31 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
And it looks like the guy in the video is using federal 7.5 metrofield lead.
The decibel sounds exactly the same as the metrobarel, just shorter by 2 feet

So to me, just like the metrobarel, its not a silencer.
Gw told me last year that a true silencer is still illegal to hunt birds with.
The metrobarel is legal.

Whats the defenition of a silencer anyway? Below 82 decibel?

What does that even mean? A "true silencer". The ATF defines a silencer as "The term “Firearm Silencer” or “Firearm Muffler” means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication." It has nothing to do with any kind of decibel rating. With that being said, no silencers come anywhere near 82 decibels and from everything I've gathered that GW is completely wrong. I have an email out to TPWD since this question seems to come up every month or so.

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr [Re: pervis] #5606290 02/18/15 05:28 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Metrogun claims their barrel at less decibels at that, but they get around the real sound level by saying at 100 ft and no telling what ammo that was tested with. Not that it matters, a metro barrel is not a suppressor.

But then it is the same with SilencerCo on the Salvo in that they don't really answer the question. They advertise muzzle average of 136.8 dB at the muzzle, and give compatible barrel/ammunition pairings of 10”–16” 2 3/4” SHELL, 1,350 FPS and 16”+ 3” SHELL, 1,550 FPS, but I seriously doubt it is possible to get down to 136.8 dB with those two ammo choices. So again, no telling what ammo was used to get that 136.8 dB figure. They also advertise it works on all semi auto's. Well of course it does with regular 1350 - 1550 fps loads, but if you want to shoot quiet subsonic loads, I bet it will not work on a regular factory semi.

They lost my interest.

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr [Re: pervis] #5606874 02/18/15 10:03 PM
J
J McCoy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I can tell you this much, with a barrel extension, and sub sonic ammo, the only thing you hear is the action cycling.....

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr [Re: pervis] #5606888 02/18/15 10:06 PM
S
schmellba99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
The first round pop heard with most suppressors is nothing more than the oxygen in the can being burned by the powder. You can blow cigarette smoke in the can and cover the bore hole with masking tape and eliminate this. It goes away after the first shot because the oxygen is no longer there to burn. Running a can wet will also help, but not necessarily eliminate, the FRP.

Even with supersonic loads, shotgun shells don't produce the sonic crack the same that rifle rounds do - which is why the Salvo still has a ridiculously good sound reduction. Most shotgun rounds reach max velocity while still in the barrel and are actually losing velocity by the time the shot column pushes through the choke, and the individual pellets at varying degrees of speed just don't act in the same manner that a 7.62 projectile moving at 2600+ FPS does.

The reason that almost no suppressor company advertises true sound reductions is simply because there are so many variables associated with sound that it is simply impossible to make any guarantee - barometric pressure, humidity, mean height above sea level, temperature, type of equipment used, location of metering equipment with respect to the muzzle, etc. all come into play when reading decibels.

And getting to 136 dB is very doable, considering that most 12 gauge rounds produce in the 150 dB range. A 15 dB reduction is well within the doable range simply by diffusing the muzzle report.

That being said - even with a full power load, the Salvo is going to eliminate almost all of the sound of the powder burning, which is the vast majority of the sound as it is. Will you still hear the shot? Yep. But instead of being heard from a mile away downwind, you will be hard pressed to hear much of anything more than a few yards downwind.

Subsonic rounds are a lot of fun with suppressors because they make almost no noise - but in all practical applications, the vast majority of subsonic rounds are pisspoor hunting rounds because they are subsonic. You pull away so much velocity to get below the 1050* FPS mark that the ballistics fall off the chart. The few rounds that do have useful subsonic loadings, like the .300 Blackout, can do so because they make up for velocity with weight. In the case of the .300 BO, the subsonic round is a 220 grain projectile, and the range is still very limited (under 100 yards in all practical terms). A subsonic shotgun round would be a very, very limited round in terms of being able to use to actually hunt with.

* 1050 is the general FPS range that most subsonic ammo will not excede because it works in most applications but still remains subsonic.

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr [Re: pervis] #5607071 02/18/15 11:28 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Great post. Thank you

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr [Re: Sniper John] #5607983 02/19/15 02:57 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Metrogun claims their barrel at less decibels at that, but they get around the real sound level by saying at 100 ft and no telling what ammo that was tested with. Not that it matters, a metro barrel is not a suppressor.

But then it is the same with SilencerCo on the Salvo in that they don't really answer the question. They advertise muzzle average of 136.8 dB at the muzzle, and give compatible barrel/ammunition pairings of 10”–16” 2 3/4” SHELL, 1,350 FPS and 16”+ 3” SHELL, 1,550 FPS, but I seriously doubt it is possible to get down to 136.8 dB with those two ammo choices. So again, no telling what ammo was used to get that 136.8 dB figure. They also advertise it works on all semi auto's. Well of course it does with regular 1350 - 1550 fps loads, but if you want to shoot quiet subsonic loads, I bet it will not work on a regular factory semi.

They lost my interest.

I used to buy winchester 0.9 ounce loads winlight. Speed is 900 fps. They are $100 a case and do not cycle to semi.

I switched to rogers online and buy cases of 1 1/8 ounce load federal metrofield load nr 7.5 lead, speed 980 fps i believe. The DO cycle very well in semi. And they are cheaper. $78 a case.
The new remington coming out this year will cycle the federals and will fit the 870 metrobarel choke thread.
The metrobarel is really fun to use. I go through 20-30 cases per year. Shoot ducks, geese, cranes, doves, pigeons, rabbits with it. Yes, you have to lead the bird more do to its slow speed (prolly 1 footh more) but its not bad at all. Lots of pellets in 7.5.
By the time its duckseason rolls in, you are already trained leading the bird.

Last edited by beaversnipe; 02/19/15 03:01 PM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr [Re: pervis] #5608029 02/19/15 03:23 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I'm not sure a subsonic steel load would be effective at a distance greater that 15-20 yards. You'd have to check charts...and you'd for sure have to probably go with larger sized pellets. You can get away with lead subsonic better because the energy of a higher density lead pellet will carry faster than a less dense steel one. If you really want subsonic waterfowl loads you'd have to reload your own using a denser nontox shot and man to go to all that trouble....I guess you'd have to be pretty excited about the idea.

Interesting thread and probably one of the most original topics for waterfowling we have had in a long time. Nice to to rehash the same stuff over and over.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr [Re: pervis] #5608324 02/19/15 06:19 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Subsonic lead from federal is outstanding, cycles very well.
Killed birds 10 to 60 yards out and more with the metrobarel, easy.
Killed lots of dove with it as well. No recoil and 80% less noise.
Even at 950 fps or so, its plenty of speed. Just lead the bird 1 ft more.
Remember, you shooting a 12 gauge with lead.
We have someone overhere who shoots ducks and cranes with a 410 all year...

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr [Re: Fooshman] #5611432 02/21/15 03:43 PM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Can you legally hunt migratory birds with a silencer?

What I was thinking

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide