Texas Hunting Forum

Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr

Posted By: pervis

Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 12:57 AM

I got to shoot a 12 ga today at a buddies gun store in new Braunfels/mcqueeny. We shot a 870 tactical w a silencer co 12 ga suppressor. The thing is light and quiet! I kinda want one now. Thinking about a new model browning a5 w the silencer co 12 ga suppressor. I see a new duck slaying gun in my future for this coming season.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 01:13 AM

How does it attach? You've got choke threads on the inside.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 01:29 AM

Go all out. Get a 50 cal.

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 02:20 AM

It threads into the choke tube threads. The suppressor is adjustable for length too. If u pm me I can text u a short video of me shooting it.

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 02:26 AM

The suppressor is made by silencer co. It's called the salvo.
Posted By: Homey da Clown

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 03:01 AM

boom scouters gonna have to up their game roflmao
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 03:33 AM

Pervis,
Any info related to if subsonic loads required? Any issues cycling semi autos? Any shotgun type preferences that work better with it over others?
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 04:07 AM

Can you legally hunt migratory birds with a silencer?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 06:10 AM

Hastings Metro barrel has been around several years. http://www.hastingsdistribution.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=32
Posted By: Toledo

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 01:32 PM

I should have one approved any day now. Going on an 870 barrel cut to 18" and rethreaded. Subsonic loads are not required but they should help a lot. I havent been able to locate a factory load thats subsonic yet. May have to try to load one. Thinking 1.5 ounce of 2s at 1000fps should work well. Really looking forward to being able to hunt spots without drawing the usual attention.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman

Why would it be illegal?
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 02:53 PM

Yes.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 03:01 PM

Wish I could apply for a silencer... never wanted one but on a shotty would be pretty sweet
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 03:30 PM

My cousin brought his fully automatic silinced ar15 to the ranch. It was fun until you realized that with every trigger pull you don't want to let go of the trigger. So a 30 round mag at 15 bucks a mag goes in about a second. So I don't like that to start with, Then to top that off, the weight of the can way out front is not comfortable at all.

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 03:52 PM

The salvo can isn't like most cans where they add alot of unwanted weight. It's light. Silencer co has made alot of improvements in reducing weight of cans. I do agree I shot alot of suppressed guns years ago and the cans were heavy on the end. The new cans coming out are not that way at all. Yeah I'd get one too to hunt places w o all the unwanted attention.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 03:58 PM

Be it light like youre saying I would shoot one in a heartbeat. I am just too cheap to buy one.

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 04:06 PM

I'm not too sure about subsonic loads but I ca N tell you from personal experience it's light and quiet. The first shot has some noise, but once the gas builds from the first shot in the can it's crazy quiet. We only shot it off a pump. Next time we re gona put it on a semi auto. My reaction was the first shot was what I expected then my buddy shot it again while I was standing and listening and I was like whoa that's quiet. No bang no loud noise and you don't need hearing protection. If you can afford one it's a fun toy that's for sure.

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 04:08 PM

It first became legal for game animals in TX in 2012. Oklahoma unfortunately it is not legal for public land, only by landowners and guests on private land. There is supposed to be a new Bill introduced in OK that would legalize for public. Hoping it is not like their open carry law which excludes non residents. Louisiana only recently legalized it as well.

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 04:16 PM

I'm still curious about sound difference between normal vs subsonic loads. There is no regular commercial steel subsonic loads I know of. Federal makes an affordable lead subsonic field load. And more input for semi autos. I know the metro can cause problems for them. I have been interested in one of these salvos and I do have a metro barrel that I have still not used. Have not got around to buying a pump gun to dedicate to it.

Pervis, any sighting, point of aim, accuracy issues?

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 04:34 PM

No no sighting point of accuracy issues. The can is designed like a hexagon sort of or rectangle you would have to see one to know what I'm talking about. The majority of the bulk of the can is lower than your barrel or offset below the barrel. If I bought one it would go on a semi not a pump. We only played w it for just a few minutes. We took turns shooting it for about 10 rounds.
Posted By: john paul

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
I'm still curious about sound difference between normal vs subsonic loads. There is no regular commercial steel subsonic loads I know of. Federal makes an affordable lead subsonic field load. And more input for semi autos. I know the metro can cause problems for them. I have been interested in one of these salvos and I do have a metro barrel that I have still not used. Have not got around to buying a pump gun to dedicate to it.

Pervis, any sighting, point of aim, accuracy issues?

Not sure on shotguns but the sound difference between normal loads and subsonic loads out of 7.62 with a suppressor is significant.
Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 04:51 PM

1000 fps is pretty darn slow compared to most factory loads. not saying that it's necessarily a bad thing, just that you'd have to really adjust your swing.

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 05:37 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1nyIClLvYU
Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 09:00 PM

That video is pretty sick
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 09:00 PM

Remington will come out this year with a semi that will fit the metrobarel and will cycle federal metrofield load. Unfortunately lead.
Steel is still too fast to suppress the noice.
Anything above 1000 fps is gonna be too loud.
You can buy subsonic duckload, but very expensive.
Contact brezny at my signature for that

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 09:05 PM

It first became legal for game animals in TX in 2012. Oklahoma unfortunately it is not legal for public land, only by landowners and guests on private land. There is supposed to be a new Bill introduced in OK that would legalize for public. Hoping it is not like their open carry law which excludes non residents. Louisiana only recently legalized it as well.

I knew that just didn't know about Migratory with all the special rules.

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 09:06 PM

And it looks like the guy in the video is using federal 7.5 metrofield lead.
The decibel sounds exactly the same as the metrobarel, just shorter by 2 feet

So to me, just like the metrobarel, its not a silencer.
Gw told me last year that a true silencer is still illegal to hunt birds with.
The metrobarel is legal.

Whats the defenition of a silencer anyway? Below 82 decibel?

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Wish I could apply for a silencer... never wanted one but on a shotty would be pretty sweet

What's stopping you?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

What's stopping you?

Past demons
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/17/15 11:32 PM

A question I have is whether or not a subsonic shotgun round would effectively cycle the action on a SA shotgun without modification to the action.

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/18/15 01:20 AM

There looks to be a second suppressor option out there.
http://www.metrogun.com/orion.html
Posted By: john paul

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/18/15 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: aerangis
A question I have is whether or not a subsonic shotgun round would effectively cycle the action on a SA shotgun without modification to the action.

As I said earlier, no experience with a shotgun with suppressor, but a subsonic round will not eject out of a stock semi auto 7.62. I would assume it would be the same out of a semi auto shotgun

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/18/15 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
And it looks like the guy in the video is using federal 7.5 metrofield lead.
The decibel sounds exactly the same as the metrobarel, just shorter by 2 feet

So to me, just like the metrobarel, its not a silencer.
Gw told me last year that a true silencer is still illegal to hunt birds with.
The metrobarel is legal.

Whats the defenition of a silencer anyway? Below 82 decibel?

What does that even mean? A "true silencer". The ATF defines a silencer as "The term “Firearm Silencer” or “Firearm Muffler” means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication." It has nothing to do with any kind of decibel rating. With that being said, no silencers come anywhere near 82 decibels and from everything I've gathered that GW is completely wrong. I have an email out to TPWD since this question seems to come up every month or so.

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/18/15 05:28 PM

Metrogun claims their barrel at less decibels at that, but they get around the real sound level by saying at 100 ft and no telling what ammo that was tested with. Not that it matters, a metro barrel is not a suppressor.

But then it is the same with SilencerCo on the Salvo in that they don't really answer the question. They advertise muzzle average of 136.8 dB at the muzzle, and give compatible barrel/ammunition pairings of 10”–16” 2 3/4” SHELL, 1,350 FPS and 16”+ 3” SHELL, 1,550 FPS, but I seriously doubt it is possible to get down to 136.8 dB with those two ammo choices. So again, no telling what ammo was used to get that 136.8 dB figure. They also advertise it works on all semi auto's. Well of course it does with regular 1350 - 1550 fps loads, but if you want to shoot quiet subsonic loads, I bet it will not work on a regular factory semi.

They lost my interest.

Posted By: J McCoy

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/18/15 10:03 PM

I can tell you this much, with a barrel extension, and sub sonic ammo, the only thing you hear is the action cycling.....
Posted By: schmellba99

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/18/15 10:06 PM

The first round pop heard with most suppressors is nothing more than the oxygen in the can being burned by the powder. You can blow cigarette smoke in the can and cover the bore hole with masking tape and eliminate this. It goes away after the first shot because the oxygen is no longer there to burn. Running a can wet will also help, but not necessarily eliminate, the FRP.

Even with supersonic loads, shotgun shells don't produce the sonic crack the same that rifle rounds do - which is why the Salvo still has a ridiculously good sound reduction. Most shotgun rounds reach max velocity while still in the barrel and are actually losing velocity by the time the shot column pushes through the choke, and the individual pellets at varying degrees of speed just don't act in the same manner that a 7.62 projectile moving at 2600+ FPS does.

The reason that almost no suppressor company advertises true sound reductions is simply because there are so many variables associated with sound that it is simply impossible to make any guarantee - barometric pressure, humidity, mean height above sea level, temperature, type of equipment used, location of metering equipment with respect to the muzzle, etc. all come into play when reading decibels.

And getting to 136 dB is very doable, considering that most 12 gauge rounds produce in the 150 dB range. A 15 dB reduction is well within the doable range simply by diffusing the muzzle report.

That being said - even with a full power load, the Salvo is going to eliminate almost all of the sound of the powder burning, which is the vast majority of the sound as it is. Will you still hear the shot? Yep. But instead of being heard from a mile away downwind, you will be hard pressed to hear much of anything more than a few yards downwind.

Subsonic rounds are a lot of fun with suppressors because they make almost no noise - but in all practical applications, the vast majority of subsonic rounds are pisspoor hunting rounds because they are subsonic. You pull away so much velocity to get below the 1050* FPS mark that the ballistics fall off the chart. The few rounds that do have useful subsonic loadings, like the .300 Blackout, can do so because they make up for velocity with weight. In the case of the .300 BO, the subsonic round is a 220 grain projectile, and the range is still very limited (under 100 yards in all practical terms). A subsonic shotgun round would be a very, very limited round in terms of being able to use to actually hunt with.

* 1050 is the general FPS range that most subsonic ammo will not excede because it works in most applications but still remains subsonic.

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/18/15 11:28 PM

Great post. Thank you

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/19/15 02:57 PM

Metrogun claims their barrel at less decibels at that, but they get around the real sound level by saying at 100 ft and no telling what ammo that was tested with. Not that it matters, a metro barrel is not a suppressor.

But then it is the same with SilencerCo on the Salvo in that they don't really answer the question. They advertise muzzle average of 136.8 dB at the muzzle, and give compatible barrel/ammunition pairings of 10”–16” 2 3/4” SHELL, 1,350 FPS and 16”+ 3” SHELL, 1,550 FPS, but I seriously doubt it is possible to get down to 136.8 dB with those two ammo choices. So again, no telling what ammo was used to get that 136.8 dB figure. They also advertise it works on all semi auto's. Well of course it does with regular 1350 - 1550 fps loads, but if you want to shoot quiet subsonic loads, I bet it will not work on a regular factory semi.

They lost my interest.

I used to buy winchester 0.9 ounce loads winlight. Speed is 900 fps. They are $100 a case and do not cycle to semi.

I switched to rogers online and buy cases of 1 1/8 ounce load federal metrofield load nr 7.5 lead, speed 980 fps i believe. The DO cycle very well in semi. And they are cheaper. $78 a case.
The new remington coming out this year will cycle the federals and will fit the 870 metrobarel choke thread.
The metrobarel is really fun to use. I go through 20-30 cases per year. Shoot ducks, geese, cranes, doves, pigeons, rabbits with it. Yes, you have to lead the bird more do to its slow speed (prolly 1 footh more) but its not bad at all. Lots of pellets in 7.5.
By the time its duckseason rolls in, you are already trained leading the bird.
Posted By: Marcstar

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/19/15 03:23 PM

I'm not sure a subsonic steel load would be effective at a distance greater that 15-20 yards. You'd have to check charts...and you'd for sure have to probably go with larger sized pellets. You can get away with lead subsonic better because the energy of a higher density lead pellet will carry faster than a less dense steel one. If you really want subsonic waterfowl loads you'd have to reload your own using a denser nontox shot and man to go to all that trouble....I guess you'd have to be pretty excited about the idea.

Interesting thread and probably one of the most original topics for waterfowling we have had in a long time. Nice to to rehash the same stuff over and over.

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/19/15 06:19 PM

Subsonic lead from federal is outstanding, cycles very well.
Killed birds 10 to 60 yards out and more with the metrobarel, easy.
Killed lots of dove with it as well. No recoil and 80% less noise.
Even at 950 fps or so, its plenty of speed. Just lead the bird 1 ft more.
Remember, you shooting a 12 gauge with lead.
We have someone overhere who shoots ducks and cranes with a 410 all year...
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Duck hunting w a suppressor possibly next yr - 02/21/15 03:43 PM

What I was thinking
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum