Forums46
Topics538,030
Posts9,732,129
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: ttechcolleyville] #5616153 02/23/15 11:49 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: ttechcolleyville
I don't want to turn this into a debate on the ethics of high fence hunting, I am just trying to get a realistic assessment of one of my elk hunting options for this coming season. I have hunted private land in NM the past 2 years and am the only 1 in my hunting circle that wants to bow hunt elk so I go alone each year and use an outfitter. I've seen lots of elk, but getting an ethical shot with a bow isn't easy and I can't do this forever. I'm getting old and elk hunting is expensive.

I came across an Idaho ranch/outfitter with 30,000 acres of which 10,000 is high fenced with a self propagating elk herd. It is mountain terrain hunting from a spike camp with access by horseback or ATV. It is not guaranteed and the only bad reviews I have found are from people who didn't get an elk. All have referenced the quality/challenge of the hunt and importance of making sure you were prepared for the physicality. Most said they would have never known they were in a high fence had they not known going in.

I am holding a spot after doing relentless research but I got to thinking about not wanting my first (and perhaps only) elk to be tainted. It doesn't bother me if I am getting access to bigger elk because of the high fence. But it does to think I might only get it because it was in a high fence. The price differential between high fence and private land is inconsequential. The success rate in fact is about the same - 80-90% with a rifle, considerably lower with a bow.

But here is the kicker that has me steering toward the high fence. It is a rifle or archery tag and meaning I could at some point in the hunt change from bow to rifle (not both simultaneously). Where I hunted the last 2 season in NM, they had about a 25% success rate for bowhunters and a 100% for rifle and this is on an 11,000 acre ranch in NM.

Just curious if anyone else has hunted a high fence ranch this big and just how fair chase it felt (not looking to start a debate). In my searches I found a local newspaper story about a hunter who had killed an elk on this ranch and I googled his name and actually found his number and called him. He said he got his elk on the 3rd day and after multiple unsuccessful spot and stalks. He said the only difference he noticed between other elk hunts was that there were a lot more elk with big antlers, but everything else was the same.

Would appreciate any input. I have to decide quickly.

Poor Gentleman made every effort for a decent response...

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: ttechcolleyville] #5616163 02/23/15 11:52 PM
T
tazz308 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
popcorn

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: ttechcolleyville] #5616177 02/24/15 12:01 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I'd say it's less fair because the animals can't get too far away. It's like fishing a pay pond vs a big lake.

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: gusick] #5616200 02/24/15 12:09 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: gusick
I'd say it's less fair because the animals can't get too far away. It's like fishing a pay pond vs a big lake.

When does a pond become a lake?

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: SniperRAB] #5616250 02/24/15 12:26 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Originally Posted By: ttechcolleyville
I don't want to turn this into a debate on the ethics of high fence hunting, I am just trying to get a realistic assessment of one of my elk hunting options for this coming season. I have hunted private land in NM the past 2 years and am the only 1 in my hunting circle that wants to bow hunt elk so I go alone each year and use an outfitter. I've seen lots of elk, but getting an ethical shot with a bow isn't easy and I can't do this forever. I'm getting old and elk hunting is expensive.

I came across an Idaho ranch/outfitter with 30,000 acres of which 10,000 is high fenced with a self propagating elk herd. It is mountain terrain hunting from a spike camp with access by horseback or ATV. It is not guaranteed and the only bad reviews I have found are from people who didn't get an elk. All have referenced the quality/challenge of the hunt and importance of making sure you were prepared for the physicality. Most said they would have never known they were in a high fence had they not known going in.

I am holding a spot after doing relentless research but I got to thinking about not wanting my first (and perhaps only) elk to be tainted. It doesn't bother me if I am getting access to bigger elk because of the high fence. But it does to think I might only get it because it was in a high fence. The price differential between high fence and private land is inconsequential. The success rate in fact is about the same - 80-90% with a rifle, considerably lower with a bow.

But here is the kicker that has me steering toward the high fence. It is a rifle or archery tag and meaning I could at some point in the hunt change from bow to rifle (not both simultaneously). Where I hunted the last 2 season in NM, they had about a 25% success rate for bowhunters and a 100% for rifle and this is on an 11,000 acre ranch in NM.

Just curious if anyone else has hunted a high fence ranch this big and just how fair chase it felt (not looking to start a debate). In my searches I found a local newspaper story about a hunter who had killed an elk on this ranch and I googled his name and actually found his number and called him. He said he got his elk on the 3rd day and after multiple unsuccessful spot and stalks. He said the only difference he noticed between other elk hunts was that there were a lot more elk with big antlers, but everything else was the same.

Would appreciate any input. I have to decide quickly.

Poor Gentleman made every effort for a decent response...

He said all that, and then he said he'd appreciate "any" input. My feeling is this, if he has to ask for approval, sooner or later he's gonna be disappointed. Because sooner or later someone is gonna ask where he got it and when he tells them they're gonna say "oh, a pen?"...

He got plenty of info to help him decide. I too wish him the best. And only gave my opinions.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: ttechcolleyville] #5616312 02/24/15 12:45 AM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
The original post was on 2/04/2015 ..that's 19 days ago.... surely the OPer has gotten enough opinions.

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: ttechcolleyville] #5616313 02/24/15 12:46 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Cotton Mesa is right about that size of a HF'd place.

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide