Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: training a lab [Re: river bottom] #5627086 03/01/15 01:29 AM
M
maximumintensityretriever Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
There is no difference in training a hunting dog, a hunt test dog, or a field trial dog. Solid basics through transition are necessary no matter what you choose. Wolters book doesn't even show you how to transition to cold blinds, a skill most definitely valuable to the hunter.

You wouldn't buy a new truck just to use the heater and the radio so why would you buy a hunting dog and not want to get the fullest potential out of it too? Campaigning should not be the only reason to have a well trained dog.

Also in the grand scheme of things the money that you will spend on a program is a drop in the bucket. Buy one used if cost is a factor.

Tony Marshall
Maximum Intensity Retrievers
https://m.facebook.com/maximumintensity.retrievers
(903) 720-6842
Re: training a lab [Re: river bottom] #5627465 03/01/15 04:18 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
That doesn't give a working answer. If one were unwilling to buy the whole system and just want to get the parts needed to start the dog what would be a good starting point and say up to about six months?

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: training a lab [Re: passthru] #5628060 03/01/15 05:03 PM
M
maximumintensityretriever Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: passthru
That doesn't give a working answer. If one were unwilling to buy the whole system and just want to get the parts needed to start the dog what would be a good starting point and say up to about six months?

Six months of training (with a knowledgeable person) will only get you through basics (what is in Wolters book). Your dog will be through TT but will not be able to run a cold blind. You will think he will because he will be taking casts in the yard, but he won't. That dog will be a started dog that can pick up a single. Most serious hunters want more than that.

So the answer is that you don't pick and choose. You have to do all of it if you want an accomplished gundog that is going to pick up all your birds in any circumstance.

Tony Marshall
Maximum Intensity Retrievers
https://m.facebook.com/maximumintensity.retrievers
(903) 720-6842
Re: training a lab [Re: passthru] #5628075 03/01/15 05:09 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

If your unwilling to spend the $ on a quality program then you will end up with an inferior end result, simple as that.

Look at Freddie Kings videos on YouTube. It's a modern program step by step just like the two you don't want to pay for but....it's free. 24 videos step by step.

Re: training a lab [Re: river bottom] #5628481 03/01/15 08:34 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I don't mind spending money on what I need to make a dog work out. I just don't see any intent at this time to have a dog that will do 200 yard blind retrieves or some of the stuff you see at the hunt trials. I guess I have time to buy the system, study and learn it, then get the dog at a later date. Which would probably help me be more confident using it anyway.
BTW, with Wolter's system both of my dogs were capable of blinds, multiple marks and whistle and hand control. But watching some of the stuff on those videos showed me that there is a lot more you can do to refine the dog, teach them a more solid trust in your commands and be more successful at it as an individual and that intrigued me.

NRA Life Member
Re: training a lab [Re: passthru] #5628608 03/01/15 09:37 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I don't mind spending money on what I need to make a dog work out. I just don't see any intent at this time to have a dog that will do 200 yard blind retrieves or some of the stuff you see at the hunt trials. I guess I have time to buy the system, study and learn it, then get the dog at a later date. Which would probably help me be more confident using it anyway.
BTW, with Wolter's system both of my dogs were capable of blinds, multiple marks and whistle and hand control. But watching some of the stuff on those videos showed me that there is a lot more you can do to refine the dog, teach them a more solid trust in your commands and be more successful at it as an individual and that intrigued me.

Exactly...it's all about expectations. The programs Angie mentioned will produce a much more refined end result.

Re: training a lab [Re: huck18] #5629170 03/02/15 01:42 AM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
There's a guy that lives close to you that you might be able to hook up with. His name is Wayne Nutt. At least that's his handle on the retriever forum. He also has a lot of videos he's done using one of the systems Angie mentioned. It looks as if he's getting an understanding of what it takes to make a finished dog. Maybe you can look him up.
Angie and Tony are pros-they start a lot of dogs, and they get a lot in that owners have started that they have to fix. They are recommending programs they know work.

Robby

Last edited by Birdhunter61; 03/02/15 01:48 AM.
Re: training a lab [Re: river bottom] #5629919 03/02/15 02:26 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
A buddy of mine sent his pup to a "pro" in Caddo Mills. He had these plates on the wall of supposed accomplishments of his dogs. Six months of training costing him right at $4000. He "demonstrated" the dog could fetch a cast bumper at 50'. When I asked him some questions about marks and multiple casts he stated a 14 month old dog was too young to teach that. The dog came back looking sickly, had the runs and no more capable than I had my dogs at four months old. Actually not that good. First hunt, ducks came in, shotguns went off, and the dog was sent after a downed bird. Upon reaching the bird the dog sniffed it and stood there. Then, other birds came in. I shot at them, the dog took off and we never saw it again. Alive that is. Unfortunately not all "pro" trainers are. And for me it has further soured me on buying a pup from a breeder, even one that is a professional so to speak, so please try to understand that my questions come from a working mans point of view. I need to get the right pup and then do the right/best things with the training as best as I am capable. The pup I was looking at sold before I made a decision so I have time to buy and learn the system before I get a pup and start.

NRA Life Member
Re: training a lab [Re: passthru] #5630257 03/02/15 05:25 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
A buddy of mine sent his pup to a "pro" in Caddo Mills. He had these plates on the wall of supposed accomplishments of his dogs. Six months of training costing him right at $4000. He "demonstrated" the dog could fetch a cast bumper at 50'. When I asked him some questions about marks and multiple casts he stated a 14 month old dog was too young to teach that. The dog came back looking sickly, had the runs and no more capable than I had my dogs at four months old. Actually not that good. First hunt, ducks came in, shotguns went off, and the dog was sent after a downed bird. Upon reaching the bird the dog sniffed it and stood there. Then, other birds came in. I shot at them, the dog took off and we never saw it again. Alive that is. Unfortunately not all "pro" trainers are. And for me it has further soured me on buying a pup from a breeder, even one that is a professional so to speak, so please try to understand that my questions come from a working mans point of view. I need to get the right pup and then do the right/best things with the training as best as I am capable. The pup I was looking at sold before I made a decision so I have time to buy and learn the system before I get a pup and start.

I would say your buddy probably didn't do his research in finding a quality trainer that is well known with many references. Same with the breeder. There are good and bad with everything in life. It's your job as the consumer to do your due diligence and make sure you are getting what you paid for.

Re: training a lab [Re: river bottom] #5630812 03/02/15 11:03 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Breeder/trainer. Same guy. And I agree.

NRA Life Member
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide