Re: Spike Bucks [Re: stxranchman] #5540451 01/13/15 07:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985

googled 'giant spike deer'

If you like him then keep him another year till he grows into to something "special", cause you will get more that look just like him. I would really want a whole pasture full of bucks like this. How about you BOBO?

There is always the exception, you manage for the top exception that happens to be the bottom end exception.
But was he always a spike?

Like saying no 8pt goes to a ten and no ten has ever gone down to 8 or 9

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: Play Maker] #5540456 01/13/15 07:28 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Play Maker
There are simply too many variables that will contribute to yearling bucks being spikes to justify shooting each and every one of them. Each variable is a product of the environment and has absolutely nothing to do with genetics. For example:
1. Born In August vs. born in May. I have seen spikes born in late April and August on the same ranch, what they had in common is they were all spikes. I have seen spike born in April and 8 point yearling born in August on the same ranch
2. Was orphaned at 30 days vs. being fully weaned.I have seen a wild reared fawn that was orphaned and stayed around a house as a fawn. He was around 30 day or so old. He grew 7 points as a yearling. Which would you prefer a fully weaned yearling bucks with forked or better antlers or fully weaned spike yearling bucks?
3. Was the smallest of a group of tripletts. Rare but could happen, but what if all the triplets were bucks and the other 2 were 8 point yearlings?
4. Doe was a poor milker. Kill her and her spike offspring then. Don't want that in the herd. Spikes are usually a sign of poor doe management to start with
5. Poor habitat conditions during the first 18 months of life. Seen multi-pointed yearlings born under the same conditions standing next to those spikes. Why wait on that one in 100 to turn into something. Already poor range conditions limit the mouths by killing spikes

Yearlings spikes are not genetically inferior and should not be culled under the pretense of genetic manipulation. Genetics cannot be altered under low fenced conditions via a bullet.

Again show me the pictures of high numbers of spikes born on a ranch that turned into 170+ bucks.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5540461 01/13/15 07:30 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

If you like him then keep him another year till he grows into to something "special", cause you will get more that look just like him. I would really want a whole pasture full of bucks like this. How about you BOBO?

There is always the exception, you manage for the top exception that happens to be the bottom end exception.
But was he always a spike?

Like saying no 8pt goes to a ten and no ten has ever gone down to 8 or 9

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5540475 01/13/15 07:34 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Lol

Same circular agruement.. I'm going back to work

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5540476 01/13/15 07:34 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Yes it's been done. In STX and cross plains area.

And the results indicate?

What they wanted to prove going in. When others interpreted the results on many of these studies and other studies on culling, they showed different results from the data.

Stx nailed it. They lost a bunch to culling on neighboring ranches but had a few spikes break 150. Several ways to take it.

150 is a huge deer but is it huge when same ranch has produced a couple 170-180? Me 150 is still a really big deer.

Antler size to me is more about the location of the ranch. In my area and the Hill Country a 130's type deer is consider really big. In South Texas that would be a management buck or even a cull on many ranches. Still that same spike on any ranch will never be in that group of bucks either of call "big" in any number. Just won't be there ever.

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5540477 01/13/15 07:35 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Lol

I am going out to kill that one and only spike I have now grin

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5540478 01/13/15 07:36 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I stir long enough to revive this.

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5540498 01/13/15 07:44 PM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

Typically, a 1.5 yo spike is going to grow bigger antlers.

For the average joe on a lease, it is better to let a spike mature and has a decent chance of being a 125+ deer in the future. A "nice" deer to most people's standards.

However if you are managing for trophy deer, it is probably a good choice to take them out. It is all about standards and management goals. Heck, there are ranches that are killing 150" "culls" with bolt guns after captured with helicopters.

Some TPWD research out of 144 deer:

"In this study, antler production of fork-antlered yearlings and spike-antlered yearlings were compared annually until 4 years of age. Fork-antlered deer produced almost twice the antler mass each year as their spike-antlered counterpart."

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/wma/wildlife_management/kerr_wma/research/antlered_yearlings/

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5540509 01/13/15 07:50 PM
T
titan2232 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Well I certainly opened a can of worms with this one. A few websites suggest that "many" late born spikes can/do pass other branched antler deer of the same fawn crop when tagged research was conducted. I'll happily high fence my property and conduct all the proper research if some wants to pay my salary for the next 5 years laugh

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: TXPride] #5540521 01/13/15 07:54 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: TXPride

For the average joe on a lease, it is better to let a spike mature and has a decent chance of being a 125+ deer in the future. A "nice" deer to most people's standards.

you don't have to leave the spikes to have 125" deer...... they will be there regardless, I lease my ranch and believe me hunters will not stay and pay for 125" deer, at least not for long. 125" deer cause tons of headaches, bellyache'n and hunter turnover ever 3-4 years. This leads to apathy and "screw it I wont be back next year" so down goes your 135" 2.5/3.5 year old and so on............

its just not worth the exception to let them walk and along with the allotment of does to be taken every year ALL spikes must go as well as the junk off the mature end. Its all about protecting the best and the middle aged deer to maturity for our ranch

happy hunting

Last edited by SingleShot85; 01/13/15 07:59 PM.
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5540525 01/13/15 07:55 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L

Bet he killed a few booners in his fighting days

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: stxranchman] #5540528 01/13/15 07:57 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Lol

I am going out to kill that one and only spike I have now grin

You should the sheriff was his father. smile

Spike I am your father...

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: landsurveyor] #5540534 01/13/15 07:58 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: landsurveyor

Bet he killed a few booners in his fighting days

And elk, mountain lions, yotes, grizzly bears and wolves

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5540539 01/13/15 08:00 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
No doubt

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: landsurveyor] #5540553 01/13/15 08:04 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: landsurveyor
No doubt

Should of darted him and let him be the security force smile

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5540557 01/13/15 08:05 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
clap

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5540570 01/13/15 08:09 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I think any spike can grow up to be a basket rack seven or eight point in his prime. I think you need to afford him every opportunity to fulfill his potential and let him have the benefit of all the feed and mineral you can give him to maximize his potential.

Then let him die of old age because you won't want to waste a tag on him.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5540594 01/13/15 08:17 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Don't overthink it. When a spike shows up that appears the same size and age of other deer you have seen in the area that carry one or more forked antlers, remove him.

Simply put, let the better ones walk and remove those that lag them. Common sense dictates that all the deer in a given area share the same food sources. The only thing they don't share is the same genetics. And you don't need a degree in Wildlife Biology to know that.

Wrong... Juvenile deer are like juvenile kids.. Good mothers put their kids a heads, but the runts will catch up in time

Late born fawns are behind body structure wise, but catch up with age.

Reading is funduhmental.

So you can weight deer on the hoof? All 5'0 guys are the same frame?

Again until a deer reaches structural maturity you have zero idea what head gear he will support.

Keep shooting young bucks.....

It's not hard to look at 3-4 yearling bucks standing together and tell if they are the same size or not. It's also not hard to tell which of them already has better headgear. Why should I continue to feed a spike with < 10-20" of antler when I've got other yearlings in the 50-80" range?

We've birthed and raised nearly 3000 sheep in the last 30 years, and about 3000 goats. I know from experience that if an animal gets knocked when young (runt/bad genetics, bad mother, weak twin, got sick, etc.) they almost NEVER catch up to the rest of the group. Does one every now and then? Sure, I'm sure it happens. Just as I'm sure some 8pt yearlings never get past 120". But we're talking odds, and the odds are with the better young example.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: aggiehunter3] #5540744 01/13/15 09:30 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: aggiehunter3
http://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/galleries/photo-gallery-from-buttons-to-booner

Really cool age progression of a buck that was a spike his first year.

This "article" has little to no value. The guy has no clue as to whether those pics are the same deer.

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5540804 01/13/15 09:55 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Keep shooting young bucks.....

It's not hard to look at 3-4 yearling bucks standing together and tell if they are the same size or not. It's also not hard to tell which of them already has better headgear. Why should I continue to feed a spike with < 10-20" of antler when I've got other yearlings in the 50-80" range?

We've birthed and raised nearly 3000 sheep in the last 30 years, and about 3000 goats. I know from experience that if an animal gets knocked when young (runt/bad genetics, bad mother, weak twin, got sick, etc.) they almost NEVER catch up to the rest of the group. Does one every now and then? Sure, I'm sure it happens. Just as I'm sure some 8pt yearlings never get past 120". But we're talking odds, and the odds are with the better young example.

A yearling is a yeaing... It's a deer that has an immature skeleton and muscle system that's still 3 years away to becoming mature and 5 years away from peak maturity. It's a baby and shows you nothing more then if it's a male and ate/suckled well or didn't eat/suckle well first year of its life. Nothing more nothing less

If you can't support extra yearlings to take a chance your doomed from the start.

Those runts never catch up but yet have the same genetic potential as thier siblings that were conceived earlier?

You raise a 100 sheep( 1-40:50 cover ratio--so 1 ram and 40-50 ewes) a year and how many of those 40 lambs do retain to full maturity? What do you hold back 0-5 replacements ewes a year. So not many.. Hardly enough to pit one against the other over the full life cycle

With everything said...Even then the biggest body frame at maturity doesn't equal the biggest rack and vice versa So why would you cull off body frame especially in immature age classes

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: txbobcat] #5540806 01/13/15 09:56 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: txbobcat
http://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/galleries/photo-gallery-from-buttons-to-booner

This "article" has little to no value. The guy has no clue as to whether those pics are the same deer.

Seemed pretty confidant being its a game farm with very light densities... So you are calling they guy publishing a liar?

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5540826 01/13/15 10:02 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

Seemed pretty confidant being its a game farm with very light densities... So you are calling they guy publishing a liar?

Liar...not sure about that. No way to prove its same deer YES.

The article has made a lot of traction by him saying it is the same deer and received lots of publicity for him. Saying its "possibly" the same deer wouldn't have received as much traction for sure.

You make your own conclusions I guess.

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5540833 01/13/15 10:06 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

I wouldn't say he is a "liar", he probably thinks he is right grin

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Spike Bucks [Re: txbobcat] #5540857 01/13/15 10:22 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Liar...not sure about that. No way to prove its same deer YES.

The article has made a lot of traction by him saying it is the same deer and received lots of publicity for him. Saying its "possibly" the same deer wouldn't have received as much traction for sure.

You make your own conclusions I guess.

Willing to bet it's the same deer. they are pretty light denisitied up there...very light actually. Question should be is that the largest buck ever seen in the area.

Just like your place you pushed the 200 mark so what's really big to you 140,150,160,170 etc

Even then you can go through this forum and find a tagged spike buck in stx that broke 150 on free range. Just happened to be one of the bucks in the study that actually made it to maturity.

95 percent of the guys on this forum don't have the resources, tag and acerage wise for any kind of culling to be effective via buck or buck numbers... They have better chance at pushing ratio and cc via the shear numbers of doe tags they have. You are like I was in Oklahoma, blessed with light densities... Only two ways to go with light densities make them lighter via culling what you feel is the bottom immediately or let age classes get more established then cull out or do as I did and let them all get to 5.5 or better.

Huge chunk of the guys on this forum have never broke 140, so is it better to advise them to cull into trophies or ease up on the bucks, use their tags on does and only hunt 5.5 or older bucks?

We as hunters are to set on success being measured in antler harvest(any age)....thus most are working backwards on deer management. Want an example look at most leases and hunters per acre... You tell me if those hunter denisities match mature buck denesities... How many are t not going to use one or both buck tags

Re: Spike Bucks [Re: titan2232] #5540895 01/13/15 10:39 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I'm out on any more spike debate everyone should do research and see what fits their bill.

I'm just saying using that reference set of pictures/article as some type of fact or basis for a management plan is pretty uneducated.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide