Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: jshouse] #5471436 12/11/14 07:05 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: jshouse
surely someone can find the numbers on how many AR tickets have been written. someone, find it.

of course the state gets the fines but i doubt that getting a few thousand dollars from a ticket was the reason behind the change.

If you're gonna make that argument, then quit barking orders and you find the dadgum numbers. grin
I gree that it's probably not the only reason for the change but it could very well be a portion of it.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: nogeese] #5471445 12/11/14 07:11 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
too much effort, and what if it provided enough info to end this argument? we cant have that.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: nogeese] #5471448 12/11/14 07:13 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I never said they made the rule for the revenue. It was stated that they don't get any money from it and that's simply not true. I would love to see some figures on that. I bet the dollar amount would be surprising for most people.

Last edited by BowSlayer; 12/11/14 07:14 PM.
Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: nogeese] #5471468 12/11/14 07:25 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I don't why it matters where fine money goes? confused2 Most likely into their general fund anyway. Don't get trigger happy and you have little to worry about. Trigger happy is probably why AR's started in the 1st place in East Texas.

May want to read this article to get re-acquainted with the reasons behind AR's.

http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2014/oct/ed_1_antlers/index.phtml

There is no doubt TPW has their own, complete interest in AR's rolleyes

Will some bucks fall through the cracks, of course, but overall the herd is getting older.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: Western] #5471563 12/11/14 08:15 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: Western
Don't get trigger happy and you have little to worry about. Trigger happy is probably why AR's started in the 1st place in East Texas.

If being trigger happy means shooting any legal buck you wanted to,
then who would have been the unhappy hunters back then that wanted ARs started?
It wouldn't have been the trigger happy hunters who legally filled their tags and freezers each season.
Apparently there were enough deer in East Texas pre-ARs for a hunter to get trigger happy with in the first place.
confused2

Last edited by Curly; 12/11/14 08:17 PM.
Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: nogeese] #5471602 12/11/14 08:37 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: nogeese

Bet that's not genetic. Judge him based on good side

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: nogeese] #5471611 12/11/14 08:43 PM
B
Barcelona Rick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
AR is about the money...trophy bucks equal more interest from moneyed hunters...deep pockets that are willing to pay higher lease fees to kill that big antlered buck...big antlers potentially draw out of state hunters which equal more revenue for out of state licenses. Please explain how AR has improved the quality of the venison ? If AR works why doesn't TPWD ban killing any buck over 13" for 5 years ? That would remove the inferior antler genetics because the smaller bucks would be killed therefore they would be removed from the breeding pool. Again how does a greater than 13" spread improve the table quality of the venison ??????

rick

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: nogeese] #5471692 12/11/14 09:25 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Is there anything preventing someone who shoots a non-AR compliant buck from just putting on his log that he shot it in an AR county?

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: Tye] #5471725 12/11/14 09:42 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Tye
More than likely a pedicel/body injury. He will more than likely return to normal next year

I'm with Tye. That funky right side may be due to injury, rather than to genes.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: EastTexasHag] #5471735 12/11/14 09:52 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: EastTexasHag
Where I live antlers are normally lil baskets. With the restrictions that cuts down on the meat in the freezer.. When the bucks are 5 or so they still have lil baskets. Very bad gene pools. This year----a nice 10 pointer wondered over. Funny thing is 1/4 mile from me we see large racks. The lay of the land is no difference.

I don't believe it. Gilmer produces stud football players, the best this side of north Tyler. Somethin' in the water? Somethin' in the soil? Somethin' in mama's home cookin'? Everything should be in place in Upshur County for deer that look like elk, ARs or no ARs.

Just sayin', Hag.....

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: Curly] #5471885 12/11/14 11:32 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Curly
Don't get trigger happy and you have little to worry about. Trigger happy is probably why AR's started in the 1st place in East Texas.

It wouldn't have been the trigger happy hunters who legally filled their tags and freezers each season.
Apparently there were enough deer in East Texas pre-ARs for a hunter to get trigger happy with in the first place.
confused2

Didn't read the article did you? it is about raising the age structure of the bucks, not in growing bigger antler, that just is a byproduct of increased age survival.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: Western] #5471926 12/11/14 11:54 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

confused2

Didn't read the article did you? it is about raising the age structure of the bucks, not in growing bigger antler, that just is a byproduct of increased age survival.

Yep, it has absolutely nothing to do with growing larger antlers and everything to do with allowing bucks to age. That's why they give you an extra tag that 95% of the time can only be used on a yearling buck. Heck, I can now kill 2 yearling bucks legally if I want to. Sounds like you have it figured out. cheers

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: BowSlayer] #5472035 12/12/14 12:52 AM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer

Yep, it has absolutely nothing to do with growing larger antlers and everything to do with allowing bucks to age. That's why they give you an extra tag that 95% of the time can only be used on a yearling buck. Heck, I can now kill 2 yearling bucks legally if I want to. Sounds like you have it figured out. cheers

I'm not in an AR county so I don't know whether they are good or bad, I have no experience in those counties.

I do know I'd be frustrated if I were constantly seeing 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 old deer that didn't meet ARs. Because in my 6 years of hunting in Fisher County, I can honestly say I've only seen 1 deer from the blind that was over 5 1/2 and I happened to shoot him. In addition I only get pictures of very few that I believe are 4 1/2 and older.

So I think it is a bit much to expect the public to only shoot 5 1/2 year old deer and older. I tend to believe going by width only will allow deer to get older, but will also result in people shooting the 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old deer with the better genetics. At least that is what the results were in Louisiana when they implemented antler restrictions. Horn length at each age group actually decreased.

But I seriously doubt they "WANT" you to kill yearling spikes. I tend to believe the purpose of them allowing you to shoot spikes is for when people discover that the doe they shot had small spikes that broke the skin. I think the intention of the doe/spike season is for accidents, not for people to go out and shoot yearling spikes.

Last edited by sprigsss; 12/12/14 02:27 PM.
Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: Western] #5472145 12/12/14 01:42 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C

confused2

I read what you said about East Texas being trigger happy,
so if you read what I said,
what you said about trigger happy East Texas was all I was responding to.

Last edited by Curly; 12/12/14 01:47 AM.
Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: nogeese] #5472151 12/12/14 01:47 AM
F
Finfeathernfurr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
I have seen better bucks around mills county lot of small tracks of land ton of hunters. Good typical genetics down there and starting to show with slowing down the shooting.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: BowSlayer] #5472154 12/12/14 01:48 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C

confused2

They all do bro.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: nogeese] #5472696 12/12/14 02:29 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I think I need to call 911 for a whambulence for all you crybabies. You could always hunt Oklahoma and enjoy that 2 week gun season. up

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 12/12/14 02:30 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: nogeese] #5472711 12/12/14 02:37 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I've decided I'm going to flip to the Pro AR side. So from this point forward.. screw the kids, screw the elderly, screw the guy that just wants to feed his family, and screw the guy that works his tail off all year and only gets to hunt for a weekend or two! If they want meat they can just go to the grocery store. We need to grow large antlers to match our large man parts and everything else is just stupid. bolt

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: nogeese] #5472715 12/12/14 02:38 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Fun everywhere grin

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: jshouse] #5472724 12/12/14 02:44 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
large man parts bolt

Fun everywhere grin

wtf Smh

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: rifleman] #5472725 12/12/14 02:46 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: rifleman
large man parts bolt

Fun everywhere grin

wtf Smh

rofl

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: nogeese] #5472731 12/12/14 02:49 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Boo

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5472768 12/12/14 03:01 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: Finfeathernfurr
I have seen better bucks around mills county lot of small tracks of land ton of hunters. Good typical genetics down there and starting to show with slowing down the shooting.

I've hunted Mills County for 35 years. It's no coincidence that I've taken my top three bucks in the last 5 years. ARs up

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: Barcelona Rick] #5472823 12/12/14 03:23 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Barcelona Rick
AR is about the money...trophy bucks equal more interest from moneyed hunters...deep pockets that are willing to pay higher lease fees to kill that big antlered buck...big antlers potentially draw out of state hunters which equal more revenue for out of state licenses. Please explain how AR has improved the quality of the venison ? If AR works why doesn't TPWD ban killing any buck over 13" for 5 years ? That would remove the inferior antler genetics because the smaller bucks would be killed therefore they would be removed from the breeding pool. Again how does a greater than 13" spread improve the table quality of the venison ??????

rick

By that logic every yearling and a lot of two year olds would die.

Good management plan there rick

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! [Re: BowSlayer] #5472828 12/12/14 03:25 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I've decided I'm going to flip to the Pro AR side. So from this point forward.. screw the kids, screw the elderly, screw the guy that just wants to feed his family, and screw the guy that works his tail off all year and only gets to hunt for a weekend or two! If they want meat they can just go to the grocery store. We need to grow large antlers to match our large man parts and everything else is just stupid. bolt

violin

What about the people who work their tails off to purchase land or a lease and want to enjoy good hunting but couldn't because every neighbor around them was a shoot'em up joe?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide