Texas Hunting Forum

another reason AR's are bad!!!

Posted By: nogeese

another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/10/14 08:20 PM

Posted By: redchevy

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/10/14 08:25 PM

What did he look like the year before?

Im not a fan of hunting under AR's but I sure think they are good for some areas!
Posted By: Curly

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/10/14 08:29 PM

popcorn

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/10/14 08:29 PM

not sure... this is the first year I have seen him... he just showed up about a week ago

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/10/14 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Curly
popcorn

I knew you would agree Curly.... smile

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/10/14 08:41 PM

about to make a bunch more too!!!
Posted By: wtr

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/10/14 09:03 PM

confused2

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/10/14 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: nogeese
popcorn

I knew you would agree Curly.... smile

popcorn
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/10/14 09:52 PM

He looks young might be very nice looking buck in a couple yrs
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 12:46 AM

That is one bad deer. Post up the hundreds of good ones that make it to maturity because of AR's
Posted By: Conchoman76

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 12:49 AM

I totally agree with antler restrictions. Let the bucks grow!
Posted By: Tye

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 12:50 AM

More than likely a pedicel/body injury. He will more than likely return to normal next year
Posted By: slimpickens

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
That is one bad deer. Post up the hundreds of good ones that make it to maturity because of AR's
up
Posted By: BOONER

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 12:52 AM

Thousands......... up

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 12:55 AM

popcorn
Posted By: rifleman

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 12:59 AM

not sure... this is the first year I have seen him... he just showed up about a week ago

Look for a 2yo 8pt from last yr. Not a shootable deer, but not a genetic reject.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 01:33 AM

Post up the hundreds of good ones that make it to maturity because of AR's

I'll start...... wink

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 03:38 AM

Here go one...

Posted By: Yellowhammer

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 04:49 AM

A couple of those look like 2.5 year olds to me. I always wonder why it bothers someone so much, even if they have to pass up a 3.5 year old every once in a while?
Posted By: EastTexasHag

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 05:02 AM

Where I live antlers are normally lil baskets. With the restrictions that cuts down on the meat in the freezer.. When the bucks are 5 or so they still have lil baskets. Very bad gene pools. This year----a nice 10 pointer wondered over. Funny thing is 1/4 mile from me we see large racks. The lay of the land is no difference.
Posted By: Yellowhammer

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 05:05 AM

Any pictures of those 5.5 year old "little baskets"?

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 05:23 AM

Mine is 2-4 progression, wouldn't consider shooting him until next year & will probably let him slide bc of a cpl others in his age class. I want him to grow those kickers and triple/split brows he did at 3.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 05:30 AM

Here go a 5yo, cutting it close if he's legal.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 05:47 AM

A 4yo that folks might pass going by ear spread. His spread hasn't done anything in 2yrs.

Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 05:51 AM

Tha original picture up there looks like you are hunting on the moon! Where is that??
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 12:08 PM

How old do you guess this guy is? He has been safe from being shot most of his life.

Posted By: jshouse

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 01:51 PM

if i have another kid his name will be AR

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 02:09 PM

Aloysius Rifleman.....it does have a ring to it and I'd be honored.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 02:16 PM

cheers

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse

Arkansas or Arizona?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: EastTexasHag
Where I live antlers are normally lil baskets. With the restrictions that cuts down on the meat in the freezer.. When the bucks are 5 or so they still have lil baskets. Very bad gene pools. This year----a nice 10 pointer wondered over. Funny thing is 1/4 mile from me we see large racks. The lay of the land is no difference.

You see the same deer that are a 1/4 mile away... unless there is a hi fence.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 03:25 PM

Arkansas or Arizona?

actually, after watching raising arizona the other day i am leaning towards H.I., or Gale.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

You see the same deer that are a 1/4 mile away... unless there is a hi fence.

yep
Posted By: the444shooter

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 03:34 PM

He was probably hit with a .223 out of an AR, hit the offside and bounced off, leaving just enough of a scratch to cause that side to deform.

I agree, AR15s are bad.....

peep
Posted By: cameron00

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 03:38 PM

"This rule can't possibly be good because it's not perfect under 100% of circumstances."

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00

"This rule can't possibly be good because it's not perfect under 100% of circumstances."

Well c'mon all then all you AR believers, start posting the "good ones" pics! up

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 05:32 PM

Stx ranch man is in a AR county and look at his deer curly....

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 05:38 PM

Don't protect these...

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 05:39 PM

I've seen them, nice bucks alright.
Not sure if he fully credits ARs for them though.
I bet there are folks that love ARs that haven't posted any "good ones" pics yet though.
Posted By: Threelranch

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 05:45 PM

AR's where invoked for one reason only for money !
I know many WLB that do nor agree and a lot of GW that do not agree with them but have rules to follow. I have been with many of deer mangment programs and none of them prove any of the TPW therory that they got from some controled inviorment where real world rules do not apply .

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 05:50 PM

Wife sat and watched this one for 30 minutes on morning a cpl weeks ago...ARs didn't protect him. (Anxious to see what he does over the next couple years with him already throwing the extras)

Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Threelranch
I know many WLB that do nor agree and a lot of GW that do not agree with them but have rules to follow. I have been with many of deer mangment programs and none of them prove any of the TPW therory that they got from some controled inviorment where real world rules do not apply .

How does TPWD get more money with ARs?

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 06:03 PM

watched this one eat for 10 mins a few sundays ago, AR county.

Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

Well for one thing a friend of mine made a mistake and shot one that was 12.5" wide and they got $2000.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 06:29 PM

They don't get any money but that's the battle cry of the anti AR guys

That and the "my kid can't kill a deer" argument

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 06:31 PM

Who gets the fines and restitution fees?

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 06:44 PM

Coming from a guy with the word "trophy" in his THF name. wink

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: BowSlayer

Who gets the fines and restitution fees?

popcorn

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 06:45 PM

Coming from a guy with the word "trophy" in his THF name. wink

He's in denial if he thinks TP&W revenue has not increased with the introduction of ARs.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 06:56 PM

surely someone can find the numbers on how many AR tickets have been written. someone, find it.

of course the state gets the fines but i doubt that getting a few thousand dollars from a ticket was the reason behind the change.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 07:05 PM

surely someone can find the numbers on how many AR tickets have been written. someone, find it.

of course the state gets the fines but i doubt that getting a few thousand dollars from a ticket was the reason behind the change.

If you're gonna make that argument, then quit barking orders and you find the dadgum numbers. grin
I gree that it's probably not the only reason for the change but it could very well be a portion of it.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 07:11 PM

too much effort, and what if it provided enough info to end this argument? we cant have that.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 07:13 PM

I never said they made the rule for the revenue. It was stated that they don't get any money from it and that's simply not true. I would love to see some figures on that. I bet the dollar amount would be surprising for most people.
Posted By: Western

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 07:25 PM

I don't why it matters where fine money goes? confused2 Most likely into their general fund anyway. Don't get trigger happy and you have little to worry about. Trigger happy is probably why AR's started in the 1st place in East Texas.

May want to read this article to get re-acquainted with the reasons behind AR's.

http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2014/oct/ed_1_antlers/index.phtml

There is no doubt TPW has their own, complete interest in AR's rolleyes

Will some bucks fall through the cracks, of course, but overall the herd is getting older.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Don't get trigger happy and you have little to worry about. Trigger happy is probably why AR's started in the 1st place in East Texas.

If being trigger happy means shooting any legal buck you wanted to,
then who would have been the unhappy hunters back then that wanted ARs started?
It wouldn't have been the trigger happy hunters who legally filled their tags and freezers each season.
Apparently there were enough deer in East Texas pre-ARs for a hunter to get trigger happy with in the first place.
confused2
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 08:37 PM

Bet that's not genetic. Judge him based on good side
Posted By: Barcelona Rick

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 08:43 PM

AR is about the money...trophy bucks equal more interest from moneyed hunters...deep pockets that are willing to pay higher lease fees to kill that big antlered buck...big antlers potentially draw out of state hunters which equal more revenue for out of state licenses. Please explain how AR has improved the quality of the venison ? If AR works why doesn't TPWD ban killing any buck over 13" for 5 years ? That would remove the inferior antler genetics because the smaller bucks would be killed therefore they would be removed from the breeding pool. Again how does a greater than 13" spread improve the table quality of the venison ??????

rick
Posted By: postoak

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 09:25 PM

Is there anything preventing someone who shoots a non-AR compliant buck from just putting on his log that he shot it in an AR county?
Posted By: dawaba

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Tye
More than likely a pedicel/body injury. He will more than likely return to normal next year

I'm with Tye. That funky right side may be due to injury, rather than to genes.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 09:52 PM

I don't believe it. Gilmer produces stud football players, the best this side of north Tyler. Somethin' in the water? Somethin' in the soil? Somethin' in mama's home cookin'? Everything should be in place in Upshur County for deer that look like elk, ARs or no ARs.

Just sayin', Hag.....
Posted By: Western

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 11:32 PM

Don't get trigger happy and you have little to worry about. Trigger happy is probably why AR's started in the 1st place in East Texas.

It wouldn't have been the trigger happy hunters who legally filled their tags and freezers each season.
Apparently there were enough deer in East Texas pre-ARs for a hunter to get trigger happy with in the first place.
confused2

Didn't read the article did you? it is about raising the age structure of the bucks, not in growing bigger antler, that just is a byproduct of increased age survival.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/11/14 11:54 PM

confused2

Didn't read the article did you? it is about raising the age structure of the bucks, not in growing bigger antler, that just is a byproduct of increased age survival.

Yep, it has absolutely nothing to do with growing larger antlers and everything to do with allowing bucks to age. That's why they give you an extra tag that 95% of the time can only be used on a yearling buck. Heck, I can now kill 2 yearling bucks legally if I want to. Sounds like you have it figured out. cheers
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/12/14 12:52 AM

Yep, it has absolutely nothing to do with growing larger antlers and everything to do with allowing bucks to age. That's why they give you an extra tag that 95% of the time can only be used on a yearling buck. Heck, I can now kill 2 yearling bucks legally if I want to. Sounds like you have it figured out. cheers

I'm not in an AR county so I don't know whether they are good or bad, I have no experience in those counties.

I do know I'd be frustrated if I were constantly seeing 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 old deer that didn't meet ARs. Because in my 6 years of hunting in Fisher County, I can honestly say I've only seen 1 deer from the blind that was over 5 1/2 and I happened to shoot him. In addition I only get pictures of very few that I believe are 4 1/2 and older.

So I think it is a bit much to expect the public to only shoot 5 1/2 year old deer and older. I tend to believe going by width only will allow deer to get older, but will also result in people shooting the 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old deer with the better genetics. At least that is what the results were in Louisiana when they implemented antler restrictions. Horn length at each age group actually decreased.

But I seriously doubt they "WANT" you to kill yearling spikes. I tend to believe the purpose of them allowing you to shoot spikes is for when people discover that the doe they shot had small spikes that broke the skin. I think the intention of the doe/spike season is for accidents, not for people to go out and shoot yearling spikes.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/12/14 01:42 AM

confused2

I read what you said about East Texas being trigger happy,
so if you read what I said,
what you said about trigger happy East Texas was all I was responding to.
Posted By: Finfeathernfurr

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/12/14 01:47 AM

I have seen better bucks around mills county lot of small tracks of land ton of hunters. Good typical genetics down there and starting to show with slowing down the shooting.

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/12/14 01:48 AM

confused2

They all do bro.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/12/14 02:29 PM

I think I need to call 911 for a whambulence for all you crybabies. You could always hunt Oklahoma and enjoy that 2 week gun season. up

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/12/14 02:37 PM

I've decided I'm going to flip to the Pro AR side. So from this point forward.. screw the kids, screw the elderly, screw the guy that just wants to feed his family, and screw the guy that works his tail off all year and only gets to hunt for a weekend or two! If they want meat they can just go to the grocery store. We need to grow large antlers to match our large man parts and everything else is just stupid. bolt

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/12/14 02:38 PM

Fun everywhere grin

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/12/14 02:44 PM

large man parts bolt

Fun everywhere grin

wtf Smh

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/12/14 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
large man parts bolt

Fun everywhere grin

wtf Smh

rofl

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/12/14 02:49 PM

Boo
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/12/14 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Finfeathernfurr
I have seen better bucks around mills county lot of small tracks of land ton of hunters. Good typical genetics down there and starting to show with slowing down the shooting.

I've hunted Mills County for 35 years. It's no coincidence that I've taken my top three bucks in the last 5 years. ARs up

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/12/14 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Barcelona Rick
AR is about the money...trophy bucks equal more interest from moneyed hunters...deep pockets that are willing to pay higher lease fees to kill that big antlered buck...big antlers potentially draw out of state hunters which equal more revenue for out of state licenses. Please explain how AR has improved the quality of the venison ? If AR works why doesn't TPWD ban killing any buck over 13" for 5 years ? That would remove the inferior antler genetics because the smaller bucks would be killed therefore they would be removed from the breeding pool. Again how does a greater than 13" spread improve the table quality of the venison ??????

rick

By that logic every yearling and a lot of two year olds would die.

Good management plan there rick

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/12/14 03:25 PM

I've decided I'm going to flip to the Pro AR side. So from this point forward.. screw the kids, screw the elderly, screw the guy that just wants to feed his family, and screw the guy that works his tail off all year and only gets to hunt for a weekend or two! If they want meat they can just go to the grocery store. We need to grow large antlers to match our large man parts and everything else is just stupid. bolt

violin

What about the people who work their tails off to purchase land or a lease and want to enjoy good hunting but couldn't because every neighbor around them was a shoot'em up joe?
Posted By: Barcelona Rick

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/12/14 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Barcelona Rick

rick

By that logic every yearling and a lot of two year olds would die.

Good management plan there rick

Tongue in cheek sir to illustrate the frustration those of us against AR feel...you guys win...it is the law and like someone earlier said..."if you don't like it..."

rick

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/13/14 04:56 AM

violin

What about the people who work their tails off to purchase land or a lease and want to enjoy good hunting but couldn't because every neighbor around them was a shoot'em up joe?

Simply sounds like your neighbors were winning to me.

up

And I bet they were hunting legally too.
And you probably just didn't like it because they didn't hunt the way you did.
Posted By: Wiredhernandez

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/13/14 01:18 PM

Must be my low standards .. I would be happy with that buck anytime..
Posted By: Wiredhernandez

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/13/14 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
Here go a 5yo, cutting it close if he's legal.

Well my low standards in the likes of being happy with one of these..

Re: another reason AR's are bad!!! - 12/13/14 01:45 PM

I would have shot him just bc it's a deer I've been able to keep track on since it was a yearling. No clue what happened to him, but as predictable as he was he died of something and I haven't heard squat about it, which would be odd if he was shot.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum