Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Whats the difference? [Re: TexastoaD] #4899651 01/09/14 09:18 PM
007FJ Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I try to drop them where they stand and then drag them to a corner. They are the prairie dogs of the south. They are also a great reserve food supply if needed.

They are a menace to the Gulf Coast States (I'd like to see them moved en masse to Southern California...that would be interesting for their politics). The only thing I can think of that they are good for is that they are supposed to eat rattle snakes. They are also the best bow hunting fun that I know of. We do eat some of them as well but I'd put it at about 20%.

I think the drought the year before last probably did more to their population than every hunter in the state combined (cars, bows, and guns).

Last edited by 007FJ; 01/09/14 09:23 PM.
Re: Whats the difference? [Re: fouzman] #4899675 01/09/14 09:31 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Who eats coyotes? Is killing them ethical? Hanging them on a fence?

How about Aoudad Sheep? Ever killed a big ram and eaten it? What about a Hooded Merganser or a Smiling Mallard?

How about Javelina?

Now I know there will be several chime in who claim to have killed and eaten all of the above.

Folks should worry more about themselves and less about others. Anyone who has ever tried to manage a property that had a bunch of hogs has gut shot them and let them run off, regardless of what they will admit to. Ever try to eat a 300 lb. Boar?

I have eaten all of the above. I don't care to eat any of them again except the Javalina and I don't shoot a lot of them. I try to do my dambdest to kill them all as quickly as I can though when I can. We have a lot of hogs and I have and will never gutshoot one so it runs off.(but I don't get up in peoples business who do shoot them and let them run.)

I have no issues with snap traps but check them often when running them.

Last edited by redchevy; 01/09/14 09:31 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Whats the difference? [Re: redchevy] #4899736 01/09/14 09:50 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I've got a strong opinion about leaving animals to suffer but............... eek I think I will keep it under my hat. nidea

Re: Whats the difference? [Re: TexastoaD] #4899778 01/09/14 10:06 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I'd say on the hogs, they probably have some value to someone who might want to both kill and eat them. When I was a kid shooting crows and rats at the dump were standard things- no one worried about it. Times change.
BUT.....where did you get your trapping education, the local chapter of the BUNNY LOVERS INTERNATIONAL smile. I do a little trapping now and then. I've had animals asleep in the traps- the traps hold but do not hurt. Of course exceptions always exist, a snared yote might jump around and hang himself but usually on a leghold if the jaws are to tight the animal's foot goes numb and that's when they chew off a foot. Connibears kill but kill quickly and you can put a leghold on a sliding (one way) wire where the animal jumps into deep water and quickly drowns. I really can't recall ANY long, grizzly death like was shown in the anti-trapping ads back in the 1970's.

Re: Whats the difference? [Re: TexastoaD] #4899801 01/09/14 10:16 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Feral pigs are the same to me as any other vermin, (cockroach, rats/mice, wasps, africanized / killer bee's, fire ants, coyotes, etc.).

Last year we trapped 68 feral pigs, (9 ~ 17 at a time) couldn't give them away, not worth the effort to load haul & sell them to a pig buying station.
No way to break even on fuel costs alone considering what the local place will buy and pays.
Shot them in the ear with a .22wmr and dragged them off to a place in the back of the property.
Very bad idea, attracted more coyotes & bobcats to our property, fouled a good sized area (approx 100'x100'), had to lime and disc the area twice to help with the smell, cattle won't go near the area still.

Can you picture what a pile of stinking mess 9 - 17 pigs make, how about 60-70 per year?
Do you understand how many predators a pile that size attracts?

What suggestions do the holier than thou, higher animal, unethical / inhumane, richard move, bunny hugger closet peta members have for dealing with feral pigs?

On my property I'll do what I see fit and is legal.
Zero laws about killing/wounding feral pigs.

Re: Whats the difference? [Re: TexastoaD] #4899815 01/09/14 10:20 PM
G
Gangly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: TexastoaD
So my question is , why is in some cases folks don't think its unethical to trap animals in snares and snap traps and let them suffer till killed, but do think it is unethical to shoot a hog or varmint and wound it and let it run off and die? To me it doesn't make a lick of difference how you kill a varmint.

People will try to push their morals on you and say that what you do is horrid, but that's based on their moral code and beliefs. If you are following the rules and guidelines set forth by the governing body, voted on by your peers, then you are adhering to the general populace code of conduct and are hunting ethically. You have conducted your hunting within the allowable parameters and shouldnt feel one bit guilty about anything you have done unless your own personal morals feel violated.

The bottom lins is if you are killing a varmint or pest legally, its ethical. Plain and simple.

Would I ever gut shoot a pig and let it wonder off and die? No. However, I would never tell you or anyone else that it's unethical to do.

Last edited by Gangly; 01/09/14 10:34 PM.

Aaron

Do it right, do it once.
Re: Whats the difference? [Re: Rustler] #4899869 01/09/14 10:38 PM
A
Apogee Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Originally Posted By: Rustler
Feral pigs are the same to me as any other vermin, (cockroach, rats/mice, wasps, africanized / killer bee's, fire ants, coyotes, etc.).

Last year we trapped 68 feral pigs, (9 ~ 17 at a time) couldn't give them away, not worth the effort to load haul & sell them to a pig buying station.
No way to break even on fuel costs alone considering what the local place will buy and pays.
Shot them in the ear with a .22wmr and dragged them off to a place in the back of the property.
Very bad idea, attracted more coyotes & bobcats to our property, fouled a good sized area (approx 100'x100'), had to lime and disc the area twice to help with the smell, cattle won't go near the area still.

Can you picture what a pile of stinking mess 9 - 17 pigs make, how about 60-70 per year?

What suggestions do the holier than thou, higher animal, inhumane, richard move bunny hugger closet peta members have for dealing with feral pigs?

So the point that you're trying to make in this is that if you gut shoot them so that they suffer they won't stink or attract scavengers like they do if you kill them humanely?

I dunno, but if seems obvious to me that if you put five tons of dead animals in a single pile, it's going to make a big stink and create problems. Guess some folks have to learn not to do dumb things through experience.

Last edited by Apogee; 01/09/14 10:39 PM.

James Madison: “Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.”
Re: Whats the difference? [Re: Rustler] #4899891 01/09/14 10:49 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C

What suggestions do the holier than thou, higher animal, unethical / inhumane, richard move, bunny hugger closet peta members have for dealing with feral pigs?

you tell them, Rustler

Re: Whats the difference? [Re: billkd] #4899925 01/09/14 11:06 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: billkd
Is it considered a waste of game meat violation if you don't try to recover and process a javelina?
I honestly don't know the answer but always assumed that was the case. BTW, of the few we ever shot they tasted great on the smoker!

Apparently it is. There was a Game Warden field note last year or year before where citations were issued for killing jav's and not recovering the game.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Whats the difference? [Re: Apogee] #4899951 01/09/14 11:22 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: Apogee

What suggestions do the holier than thou, higher animal, inhumane, richard move bunny hugger closet peta members have for dealing with feral pigs?

So the point that you're trying to make in this is that if you gut shoot them so that they suffer they won't stink or attract scavengers like they do if you kill them humanely?

I dunno, but if seems obvious to me that if you put five tons of dead animals in a single pile, it's going to make a big stink and create problems. Guess some folks have to learn not to do dumb things through experience.

Reading comprehension obviously isn't your strong point.
Hard to respond to someone that can't understand what was written.
9 - 17 pigs at a time placed in about a 100'x100' area, not 5 tons in a single pile.

Does a mouse/ rat cockroach suffer from eating poison bait?
How about wasps and wasp spray are they suffering before they die?

Does a deer that runs 100 to 300 yards or more after being shot with a bullet suffer before they die?
Does a deer shot with an arrow from a bow /crossbow suffer before it dies?
Seems common practice for some 'hunters' to wait 10 - 30 minutes after shooting a deer to go look for it.
Mostly so it can bleed out and die and not run farther away, it's life slowly slipping away from blood loss still alive enough to get up and run if a 'hunter' pressures it too much.
Guess in your mind it isn't suffering.

Do you have a suggestion of what to do with free running, trapped or dead feral pigs?

Re: Whats the difference? [Re: Rustler] #4899971 01/09/14 11:36 PM
Payne Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Online Shocked
Cat Herder

Have a viking funeral, they're majestic after all..

[Linked Image]
Re: Whats the difference? [Re: Rustler] #4900015 01/10/14 12:07 AM
A
Apogee Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A

9 - 17 pigs at a time placed in about a 100'x100' area, not 5 tons in a single pile.

Does a deer that runs 100 to 300 yards or more after being shot with a bullet suffer before they die?
Seems common practice for some 'hunters' to wait 10 - 30 minutes after shooting a deer to go look for it.
Mostly so it can bleed out and die and not run farther away, it's life slowly slipping away from blood loss still alive enough to get up and run if a 'hunter' pressures it too much.

Do you have a suggestion of what to do with free running, trapped or dead feral pigs?

Here let me help you: You said you killed and dumped 68 pigs - do the math. You're the fool who built a big stink pile of rotting hogs the whined about it. Is the fact that you killed them humanely what caused you to have the great stinking [censored] pile? No, it was the dumb thing you did afterwards.

If you can't tell the difference between an insect and a mammal, there's no point in having any of this type of discussion with you. If you don't know the difference between incidental suffering that may occur as a result of hunting, which most try to minimize vs. intentionally causing an animal a prolonged and agonizingly painful death, you haven't the basic mental competence to engage in such a discussion

Quote:

Yes! Kill them, just don't go out of your way to do it slowly. Or, you can just shove em up yer arse.

James Madison: “Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.”
Re: Whats the difference? [Re: TexastoaD] #4900057 01/10/14 12:20 AM
abel0223 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
If you are on your property and you are within the limits of the law, you can deal with them however you see fit. Just because you wouldnt do it does not mean that you should pass judgement on someone else.

Re: Whats the difference? [Re: TexastoaD] #4900078 01/10/14 12:27 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I intentionally try to kill them, but after shot #1 is fired, with the usual intention of killing more than one, I'm not real picky on where the crosshairs land as they flee the scene of the crime.

Re: Whats the difference? [Re: rifleman] #4900092 01/10/14 12:31 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: rifleman
I intentionally try to kill them, but after shot #1 is fired, with the usual intention of killing more than one, I'm not real picky on where the crosshairs land as they flee the scene of the crime.

Judge Bobo feels they same.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Whats the difference? [Re: TexastoaD] #4900113 01/10/14 12:38 AM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Rifleman I'm right there with you.. If there are still bullets in the magazine, and there are still pigs in sight-running or otherwise-I'm pulling that trigger till one of the two aforementioned things changes.

I would never intentionally shoot a pig in the guts just to let it run off & die. If I did that how would I pose for a picture with it? On the other hand if I place a poor shot on a running pig and he gets away before I can put another one in him to "end his suffering", well that's just part of pest control. Given the choice I'd always like to place a 150 grain bullet directly into their brain-case swiftly sending them off to Piggie-Nirvana. Just does not work out that way sometimes.

A hog is nothing more than a bullet receptacle.
Re: Whats the difference? [Re: TexastoaD] #4900154 01/10/14 12:50 AM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Back strap from a 300 lb. boar is not bad, can't say much for the rest of him. All animals deserve a certain amount of respect. Ethics goes along with that.

Re: Whats the difference? [Re: Apogee] #4900298 01/10/14 01:45 AM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R

Here let me help you: You said you killed and dumped 68 pigs - do the math. You're the fool who built a big stink pile of rotting hogs the whined about it. Is the fact that you killed them humanely what caused you to have the great stinking [censored] pile? No, it was the dumb thing you did afterwards.

If you can't tell the difference between an insect and a mammal, there's no point in having any of this type of discussion with you. If you don't know the difference between incidental suffering that may occur as a result of hunting, which most try to minimize vs. intentionally causing an animal a prolonged and agonizingly painful death, you haven't the basic mental competence to engage in such a discussion

Quote:

Yes! Kill them, just don't go out of your way to do it slowly. Or, you can just shove em up yer arse.

So now it's math you want,
68 pigs / 12 months = 5.66 pigs per month or 1.3 per week.
Even 17 pigs dumped at one time in a 100 x 100 area (10,000 sqft) 17 / 10,000 = 588.23 square feet for each one, or, an area of 24.3'x 24.3' for each dead pig.
If I dumped all 68 at one time (which I didn't) that would be 147.05 sqft each or about 12.15' x 12.15' each.
That kinda blows you're whole big stink pile assertion.

Mice & rats are mammals too, some folks call them pests/vermin some keep them as pets.
To me feral pigs are pests/vermin, it seems to you they're something more.

As far as your immature name calling and insults go, your fellow save the animals anti hunting bunny hugging peta brothers & sisters would be proud of you.
Did you copy and paste the link to this thread for them to read so they would give you a bunch of 'likes' for your efforts to educate the animal killers?

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide