Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,051
Posts9,732,389
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. #4865006 12/25/13 04:52 AM
J
jcarroll3 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Wanting to already start getting ready for next year! I am wanting to either plant a food plot, or feed protein this offseason. Need some help from the people that have experience!

What is the best alternative for a food plot?

What is the best protein to feed? Best types of feeder?
We are talking about a 10 acre tract of woods, with approximately 20-25 deer passing through regularly from some larger sections of woods.

Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4865031 12/25/13 05:07 AM
K
KennyLee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
I'm about to start doing the same. Have wanted to for years but questioned how well it would do given I'm on a relatively small place and low fenced. Now have four neighbors on board and think we'll pick up two more.

I'm wanting to plant 5-7 plots between 2-10 acres each. Also putting out several protein feeders.

Would like some input on relatively I expensive ideas for protein if anyone has any.

Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4865032 12/25/13 05:08 AM
A
Antler Addicts Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
We use Record Rack 20% protein. We are located in South Texas and they like this one the best for some reason. we also use 2,000lb feeders, but sounds like all you would need is a 1,000 pounder unless they hit it very hard and it depends on how often you visit the tract of land. You do not want to get too big of a feeder and fill it up and then the feed spoils in time. You will learn in time what size is good for your specific situation. Set up trail cams to make sure deer are eating food and not coons! that is usually the biggest battle. Lastly, we use all season protein feeders. Think about your commitment to wanting to feed protein. If your going to feed once in a while then dont invest in a pricey feeder, but if your in it for long haul then it would be smart to do it right. Hope this helps!

Team "ANTLER ADDICTS"
YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/teamantleraddicts
Facebook "Like" us! Enter in our GIVEAWAY'S
https://www.facebook.com/teamantleraddicts

Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4865039 12/25/13 05:15 AM
J
jcarroll3 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
The tract of land is in my backyard so filling it once every week or so would not be an issue! As far as the time of feeding, I definitely plan to for the next couple of years. Are Boss Buck feeders good feeders? Any noticeable results from using Record Rack? . And yea I seem to have a major Coon issue behind here also, even with just corn, so that worries me.

Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4865221 12/25/13 12:56 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I will suggest that you research feeds. I use Lyssy and Eckels 20% and have for the last 10 yrs now. Deer have done very well on it with great results over that time period. Call the guys at L&E and get their input on it and why they make their feed the way the do. As far a feeder I prefer the flat plate style protein feeders they used to make years ago with the flat plate feed port. 1000# model was low profile and provided plenty of space deer to eat off it. By a larger feeder than you think you will need, you do not have to fill it. It is easier to underfill than to have to fill it every few days cause it is to small. They last a very long time. When I bought feeders I could not find that style down here anymore so I went with J&N Feeders in 300# capacity with 4 way tubes. I will add another in the pen when I need more capacity. They are made very well and I lowerd the height a bit to my liking on the feed ports. If you have a lot of deer go with two feeders. I like to have about 10 deer per feeder.
As far as coons, I have been trapping them now for the last 20+ years. I keep out Duke Dog Proof coon traps at each feeder and water trough location. If I see coons at a feeder I usually catch it soon. I have caught over 70 this year and 27 last year. No feeder is coon proof, if it is then it is deer proof. You have to manage the coons also if you are going to feed if not they will eat you out of money.
http://www.lefeeds.com/Feeds/DeerFeeds/whitetailfeeds.html
http://jnfeeders.com/freechoice-tube.html
Here is a J&N Feeder

Here is flat plate style feeder

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4865515 12/25/13 04:04 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I use the 2k lb All Seasons feeder. I've been feeding protein for over 3yrs now and this is the first yr I've really noticed a difference in antlers and body size. I've also seen more twin fawns this yr. As far as feed type, I use FMC in Graham. They make their own 16 and 20 percent blends. I started with Antler Max and the deer were all over it but the FMC is a local mill and it's 2.00 less poorer back. FMC will also give THF members a free 50lb bag of corn with every 5 bags of protein you buy.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4865523 12/25/13 04:09 PM
B
Branden Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
We use all seasons protein feeders and use Antler Max20 I've used about 4 different brands and that has been the best I have found that the deer like like candy. I'm with STX I have read lots of good stats on the L&E but the accessibility is hard for me to get with them located down south. Feed it year round and have a good water source.

Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4865548 12/25/13 04:20 PM
E
EcKo sHoT Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
E
It sounds like you hunt in east Texas. I suggest just making a few good food plots in the spring and then in the fall. I would start testing your soil now and working the lime to get the pH required for what you want to grow. Remember to think about what you want to grow on your food plots and see what kind of pH and fertilizer is required to grow what you want. I suggest doing some cloves because of you take care of them they will last 2-3 years.

Looking for a new lease in the 2016/17 hunting season in South Texas or Edwards Plateau. It would be three people that are family members that have been hunting together for years.
Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4866577 12/26/13 02:46 AM
A
AO2000 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
10x on J&N feeders.. Strong, good quality and great price..

Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4866656 12/26/13 03:21 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Do the J&N feeders have a "cone" onside?

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4866692 12/26/13 03:44 AM
J
jcarroll3 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Do people see the same results from Food Plots that they do from feeding protein?

Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4867167 12/26/13 03:05 PM
G
gary75758 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Have planted food plots for past 8 years, soil was mainly sand, planted wheat, oats, peas and clover, treated plots with humic based soil conditioner 2-3 times, brush hog plots before planting then turned cuttings under to increase organics. The sandy soil charistics have shifted over the years with organic content going from near zero to an average of 5-6%. Which means less comercial fertilizer, better water holding cabilities, and have reduced corn and protien feeder usage over 60% once plots are up. Clover plots are on 5th year with no reseeding. Even in drought condition I "dusted" the wheat & oats in and they came up...people told me I was nuts to try food plots but right now nehibors are asking me to come help them with a plot or two....good luck

texas

Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4868337 12/27/13 01:09 AM
L
LE59 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
I have been using Boss Buck 1K protein feeders for five or six years with excellent success. We have been game managing for over twenty years. Initial herd improvements was an increase in overall body weights and the infant survival rates was much higher. Noticeable mass improvements for the bucks took about three to four years. We use a locally produced 16% protein. I hunt in Montague county and the feed mill in Muenster make their own with comparable ingredients as the name brand products at a much cheaper price. We a also big proponents of winter and spring food plots. We have 10 feeding stations over 2300 acres. Varmint control is an absolute must ( coons, yotes, hogs, cats and stray dogs) and your neighbors need to get with the program or else your hard work will go for not. To maximize the benefit of your efforts post your feeders near a water source and the deer will just devour the protein.

Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: Western] #4868618 12/27/13 03:13 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Western

Define "cone"? If you are asking funnel then no it is built into the bottom of the hopper so you add the capacity of the funnel into the amount the feeder holds.

Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4870565 12/28/13 12:49 AM
L
LE59 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
Boss buck 1000 lber

Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: stxranchman] #4870678 12/28/13 01:51 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: Western

Define "cone"? If you are asking funnel then no it is built into the bottom of the hopper so you add the capacity of the funnel into the amount the feeder holds.

Thanks Stxranchman, that is what I was looking for, figured they where built in, but wanted to check. their prices dont seem to out of line either, just the distribution is mostly S Texas.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4871080 12/28/13 05:53 AM
J
jcarroll3 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
The problem I am having is finding someone that sales these types of protein feeders in East Texas. Looks like I might have to make a trip down south to get one

Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4871166 12/28/13 12:40 PM
A
Auctioneer1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: jcarroll3
The problem I am having is finding someone that sales these types of protein feeders in East Texas. Looks like I might have to make a trip down south to get one

Where about you from?

Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4871169 12/28/13 12:44 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I didn't have much luck getting the big ones to eat out of the boss buck 3 way head this summer, I am sure they would eventually eat out of it but I didn't waste much time with it.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4871421 12/28/13 04:03 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: jcarroll3

You can call Boss Buck and they will ship you the funnel and feed ports so you can attach them to your own barrell and legs. You can call J&N or All Seasons to see if they have any new dealers close to you.

Re: Wanting to Feed Protein! Need help from the experts on what kind. [Re: jcarroll3] #4871802 12/28/13 09:17 PM
T
Texan 65 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I have heard every argument about when to feed protein to you should not feed protein because it makes no difference in antler growth. I feed 16% protein year round out of a gravity feeder because I see them eating it... which tells me they need it. Sometimes they hit it hard and other times they leave it alone for about a month.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide