Print Thread
Looking to start reloading #4760030 11/19/13 01:16 AM
K
Kyle Ski Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K

I am looking to start reloading. Most for my .45 pistols, but also a 308 rifle and an AR15. Anyways like I said trying to start but need some help to avoid getting the wrong set up, or if someone on here has an older set up that they don't use anymore. Any information would be great thanks.

Re: Looking to start reloading [Re: Kyle Ski] #4760150 11/19/13 01:46 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
It's a bit of a tough time to get started (on account of the scarcity of components), but better late than never. Watch the Classifieds forum because now and then you'll see a setup offered. I'd avoid Lee stuff personally (and there are those who will chime in and endorse it unconditionally), but you really can't go wrong with any of it. Latch onto a good deal that comes along and use it, and when you decide to upgrade or replace something you can just about bet your last dollar that you'll get at least most of your money back, if not all. Then you'll have an idea what you really want.

The first thing you should buy is a good reloading manual. I'd suggest the Lyman manual. Read it from cover to cover, then read it again and ask questions. Your best tool will be your own noggin.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Looking to start reloading [Re: RiverRider] #4760192 11/19/13 01:55 AM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
These links will help get you started. Location? Cabela puts on free classes.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...e_T#Post4597732

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Looking to start reloading [Re: jeh7mmmag] #4760269 11/19/13 02:13 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Reloading is really easy. There's lots of good videos on YouTube. That's how I learned. A manual is only really good for details on what to look for i.e. pressure signs. I had watched people reload before so when I got a manual I just skimmed over the highlights. If your manual doesn't have the data for whatever you're trying to load there's always the powder manufacturer's website. I wouldn't go off of what people post on the internet. You don't know if they mistyped a spec.

Re: Looking to start reloading [Re: tenyearsgone] #4760285 11/19/13 02:20 AM
K
Kyle Ski Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K
Hey thanks guys this informations has been very helpful.

Re: Looking to start reloading [Re: Kyle Ski] #4760440 11/19/13 03:00 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Kyle, pay close attention to what River Rider and JEH7mmmag say. They are among the best. Get a Lyman manual. You will find things there that you don't know to ask or look up on YouTube.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Looking to start reloading [Re: Dave Davidson] #4760840 11/19/13 05:59 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
RiverRider and Jeh7mmmag have some great advise. Another book I highly recommend is ABCs of Reloading, it is not brand specific but is a good descriptive book on reloading.

a attention to detail, reloading isn't rocket science but it does require close attention to make safe reliable reloads.

the reloading classes at Cabela's are good for getting the basics and the guys that give them are experienced reloaders. If you go to one of the classes read the manual before going and you will get a lot more from it.

When you have questions ask, there are some very knowledgeable folks on here that are willing to help.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Looking to start reloading [Re: kmon11] #4761549 11/19/13 04:05 PM
O
OldTexan Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Safety is the number 1 concern, never assume or use data from unverified sources.

Get as many manuals and legitimate information as possible and use it.

Rather than start out with a single stage press as many do, get a Turret press. With a turret and spare plates, you can set your dies and leave them, saving time and maintaining proper adjustment. Single stage presses work fine, but you have to change the dies for every action and it adds great amounts of time. The Turret will allow you to cut time more than in half and that means a lot with pistol ammo.

A Progressive press is even faster, but in my opinion, those come after the basics are ingrained and understood.

I bought a Lyman Turret press for around the same cost as my RCBS Rockcrusher and it allows me to increase 45ACP< 357 Mag, and 9mm Luger loading immensely. Separate plates ar around $40 but worth the cost.

Another thing I find important is to not rely on a cheap electronic scale as I've found even the costlier models to lose calibration more frequently than I'd like. I primarily use a mechanical scale and always zero it out before using, sometimes even if I just leave the room for a short time. It doesn't take much powder to cause an overpressure situation, so accuracy is a must.

Good luck and I think you'll really love reloading as it adds so much to shooting knowing you've put together the whole of the experience.

Re: Looking to start reloading [Re: OldTexan] #4763379 11/20/13 02:41 AM
B
bluetopper Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Buy the book "The ABC's of Reloading" read it twice, front to back.
You will learn reloading is ALL about chamber pressure and using the powders with the proper burn rate for your application.

Start out with an inexpensive (Lee) single stage press and learn how to reload. Get some experience before buying a progressive press. If you want to later buy a progressive press, get as far away from Lee as you can.

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged.
Re: Looking to start reloading [Re: Dave Davidson] #4763726 11/20/13 04:16 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
Kyle, pay close attention to what River Rider and JEH7mmmag say. They are among the best. Get a Lyman manual. You will find things there that you don't know to ask or look up on YouTube.

A book can't show you how to set something up. I've never had anything go wrong. Like I said, a book is good, but not the end all be all. Videos are good for visual learners like me. juggle

Re: Looking to start reloading [Re: tenyearsgone] #4763935 11/20/13 10:59 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Yeah, we all learn differently. Gotta admit; I'm a book person. Every 3 or 4 years I buy some new reloading manuals and often compare them. Sometimes they don't agree with what they printed in the past. I counted them the other day and find that I have 24. Also, new components crop up that aren't in the old manuals. When I get a new to me rifle, I buy a One Shot/One Caliber manual for about $7.00. Then I XRef to give me a head start. That's cheap.

Do I use YouTube? You bet, but with some occasional skepticism. After all, there are no competency requirements for the internet postings on YouTube or anywhere else. I have found reloading recommendations by individuals there that could be damn well dangerous. Like you, when I get some new gear, I sometimes look for set up stuff there. I find it to be a good head start but is often woefully short on what I want to know.

BTW, I make no claim to expertise or even competency on anything. I find that it is safer that way when dealing with combustible materials.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Looking to start reloading [Re: Dave Davidson] #4769560 11/22/13 01:08 AM
K
Kyle Ski Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K
Thanks for all the help guys. I think for a starter I am going with an RCBS single stage to start with.

Re: Looking to start reloading [Re: Kyle Ski] #4770045 11/22/13 03:06 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Good choice

Re: Looking to start reloading [Re: tenyearsgone] #4771141 11/22/13 02:55 PM
R
Rocklock Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone
Reloading is really easy. There's lots of good videos on YouTube. That's how I learned. A manual is only really good for details on what to look for i.e. pressure signs. I had watched people reload before so when I got a manual I just skimmed over the highlights. If your manual doesn't have the data for whatever you're trying to load there's always the powder manufacturer's website. I wouldn't go off of what people post on the internet. You don't know if they mistyped a spec.

DANGER!!! Bass Ackwards!!

It is easy and simple but wrong info can maim or kill you.

There is NO guarantee that information on every u tube vid is safe. Anyone can put something up. I see lots of bad info on forums about reloading and u tubes about mechanics how to. Enough to know not to take any u tube info at face value when working with pressures in the 50,000 psi range

The how to info in the name brand manuals has been vetted over many many years. Read one or two 2-3-4 times before even buying a press. Then visit w someone w experience and watch them. Beware the newby that knows it all or the guy who in ten years got one weeks experience 520 times.

After acquiring a good base from reliable sources, then look at a u tube.

Remember that is your hand, your eye, your life.

The answer is FLINTLOCK! Now, what was the question?

Support the Texas Youth Hunting Program
http://texasyouthhunting.com/
Re: Looking to start reloading [Re: Dave Davidson] #4771247 11/22/13 03:23 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson

Please don't say good stuff about RiverRider. He is hard enough to get along with even without the big head.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide