Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Interesting about RUT #4745675 11/13/13 07:25 PM
817cd Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Lindsay Thomas Jr, Communications Director for the Quality Deer Management Association, had this to say:

“The science on this is decisive. A significant number of scientific, peer-reviewed studies have shown the timing of the rut in any particular location is triggered by photoperiod, or day length – not by the moon, or temperature, or anything else…I think hunters often confuse visible rut behaviors, like chasing and grunting, with the peak of breeding. When you document breeding dates in a location, they actually change very little year to year, even though the dates of peak rut behaviors might vary. That’s because weather, moon phase and food sources – things that fluctuate widely year to year – affect deer movement patterns. But even when the weather reduces deer movement, you find that breeding still takes place the same time it normally does. If a doe is coming into estrous, a warm front isn’t going to change that.”

Bill Winke, prolific writer and creator of Midwest Whitetail, shared similar thoughts:

“I have not seen a rut predictor that was actually more accurate than the calendar. The rut is triggered by photoperiod – the amount of sunlight (number of hours) in each day. As the season progresses, that triggers the rut at pretty much the same time every year. You may see more behavior on certain days than others related to weather or hunting pressure, but the actual conception dates of the does are pretty consistent from year to year. Missouri recently did a study back-dating fetuses from late season harvested does and they proved that over a three year period the peak breeding date (the date when the most does were in estrous) was November 15 plus or minus one day. I always like to hunt during the week that starts ten days before the peak. In this case November 5 – 12. It is tough to beat that time frame. ”

Gordon Whittington, Editor in Chief of North American Whitetail Magazine, expressed a common sentiment:

“I suppose all of us have tried to use our own observations and experience to figure out when the rut is going to break loose in an area. But I’m the first to admit it’s really hard to do. No doubt we see more daytime buck movement some years than others, and the timing of it clearly varies somewhat. But it’s hard for me to say that’s directly correlated to breeding. I’ve seen little evidence that fawning dates vary widely from year to year, but no doubt the amount of chasing and tending behavior observed varies in both timing and intensity. I really don’t think it’s as simple as saying it’s controlled by the moon or weather. To me, it basically appears to be controlled by daylength.”

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Never used photoshop and never will. Photoshop is for liberals.

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: 817cd] #4745694 11/13/13 07:31 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I agree. That is why I look up the date that the most does are bred on in that area and shoot for the week before. I don't always see a lot of rutting activity during that time frame, but on those years, I don't see a lot outside of that time frame, either. When does are bred at the same time every year, it's hard to argue that.

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: Sneaky] #4745700 11/13/13 07:34 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
popcorn

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: dogcatcher] #4746986 11/14/13 02:25 AM
J
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I agree with this, but i have killed better deer in the post.

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: Jkd106] #4746999 11/14/13 02:30 AM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
This guy that wrote this is an idiot and if you take what he's saying you have never really hunted

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: Kenneth1977] #4747181 11/14/13 03:33 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977
This guy that wrote this is an idiot and if you take what he's saying you have never really hunted

Do you have your own studies to show us that negate his?

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: Kenneth1977] #4747222 11/14/13 03:45 AM
R
ryorgensen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

Why is he an idiot? Have you hunted much? He is spot on...the rut happens just like he said....when days get shorter it triggers them. People think just because there not seeing them rutting that it isn't happening...bs....most of it happens at night,especially in warmer years. The moon influences movement but not rut itself. One instance is my birthday is oct 26, EVERY year I see rut activity starting very close to that date here . I guarantee that those guys are very knowledgable on what there saying .

Robert
Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: ryorgensen] #4747477 11/14/13 06:39 AM
W
Work2BFaster Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Follow this link from TPW studies concerning the rut in Texas: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/planning/rut_whitetailed_deer/.
I would believe this first. I'm not sure if it's triggered by daytime hours, but this was a good guide for me. Peak rut in my area is the first or second week in December according to this chart. I used this chart last year which was my first year at my lease. I Went hunting on those days and shot a nice 4-1/2 yr old 10 point buck at 8am who chased a doe into my feed pen. Then about 10 days later I shot another nice 5-1/2 yr old 9 point buck at 3pm who wandered out to nose around all by himself.

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night. - Dave Barry
Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: ryorgensen] #4747661 11/14/13 01:18 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: ryorgensen

Why is he an idiot? Have you hunted much? He is spot on...the rut happens just like he said....when days get shorter it triggers them. People think just because there not seeing them rutting that it isn't happening...bs....most of it happens at night,especially in warmer years. The moon influences movement but not rut itself. One instance is my birthday is oct 26, EVERY year I see rut activity starting very close to that date here . I guarantee that those guys are very knowledgable on what there saying .

Awww yes i have hunted just a little bit in my life !!! More than 90% of the anyone here and what this guy is saying must have been a study on caged deer in a class room , studying books and having experiments in an controlled environment doent work very well.
The cold weather as more to do with it than the day light does .
I dont have an a$m degree but just like a certified welder it's just a piece of paper that says someone in a class room tells you that they think you know what your doing.

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: Kenneth1977] #4747689 11/14/13 01:31 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Awww yes i have hunted just a little bit in my life !!! More than 90% of the anyone here and what this guy is saying must have been a study on caged deer in a class room , studying books and having experiments in an controlled environment doent work very well.
I dont have an a$m degree but just like a certified welder it's just a piece of paper that says someone in a class room tells you that they think you know what your doing.

Care to back that up with something besides that? If you have something that they don't, I would love to hear it.

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: Kenneth1977] #4747710 11/14/13 01:38 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
There is undeniable evidence that other factors play a role in the rut, including genetics. While I agree that decreasing periods of daylight is probably what triggers the rut, you will find deer that live along the same east/west line that rut at much different periods. For example, the deer in Central Mississippi where I grew up do not rut until late December and early January. And they live just as far north as the deer that I hunt in East Texas that rut in late October and early November. IMO, this is because those deer in Mississippi are more native with little or no past restocking being in their generic history, unlike those in East Texas. The deer in East Texas seem to rut in accordance with the deer that were used in restocking efforts decades ago. They go into rut at the same time each year as more native deer that live in more northern areas of the country.

Now as for what should be used to determine certain periods of the rut, I suspect a lot of hunters are like me and consider the peak of the chase phase as the center period, when others might consider it being the breeding period. Like so many things, the experts often look for ways to differentiate themselves from who they consider to be less knowledgeable by finding a way to correct them or choosing something different.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: Sneaky] #4747725 11/14/13 01:41 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
All I'll say is the rut starts about same time every time around here. Yes I've seen some small bucks chasing but the mature bucks are just now showing themselves. Here in about a week it's game on for about 3 to 4 weeks when most of the does come in. This is observed on my place for at least 20 years and on the big ranch where I spend at least 8 hours a 26 days a month.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: HWY_MAN] #4747764 11/14/13 01:56 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
All I'll say is the rut starts about same time every time around here. Yes I've seen some small bucks chasing but the mature bucks are just now showing themselves. Here in about a week it's game on for about 3 to 4 weeks when most of the does come in. This is observed on my place for at least 20 years and on the big ranch where I spend at least 8 hours a 26 days a month.

That has always been my belief as well, that the rut comes at practically the same time each year for deer in a specific geographic area.

However, I'm convinced, based on the evidence I share earlier, that deer rut in accordance with their longstanding genetic history. For example, if you took a deer that has been rutting in early November and relocated it to an area where deer rut in late December, he would not change his rutting pattern for the rest of his entire life, no matter the behavior of other deer in the area.

Still, perhaps a better question to consider is will the rut slowly change in deer that have restocking in the genetic history. Again, an early November rut is probably better timed for deer that live farther north than East Texas. Deer rut earlier in colder climates so that fawns born in the spring will acquire more weight to survive the following winter. After some long period of time much longer than our own, will the deer in East Texas slowly evolve a much later rut?

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: Sneaky] #4747828 11/14/13 02:20 PM
F
fowlplayr Offline
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
F
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

Care to back that up with something besides that? If you have something that they don't, I would love to hear it.
Still waiting on facts.

He must be wearing Google out trying to find a shred of disputable evidence. popcorn

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: fowlplayr] #4747891 11/14/13 02:36 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
The most well known full moon is the “Harvest Moon,” occurring sometime in September. The next full moon has been called the “Hunter’s Moon” for at least 400 years in Europe. That is because red deer tend to breed on or about this moon. The succeeding full moons have no names, but are involved in whitetail breeding.

■ Weather affects movement: A changing barometer affects deer movement. Deer have
an uncanny ability to anticipate weather changes and this sixth sense is due to the
barometric pressure. Which brings out more does that otherwise would be laid up not moving much at all and this will bring more of the bucks out to so this make all the workings of pushing the rut on futher.
Science has confirmed that weather effects wildlife in a variety of ways and whitetail movement is not exception. While experts will occasionally disagree on it's effects, nothing can dispute your own observations.

This type of weather condition is fairly clear as just like high temperature inhibits our movements, high temperature inhibits deer movement as well. Low temperature stimulates movement and activity. Remember that extremes on either end of the temperature scale will inhibit movement and activity. Usually temperatures above 60-65 will begin to slow down movement and activity. No matter what time or day or season. Be sure an adjust this for your area of the country. The farther north you go the upper temperature range will slide lower. There will surely be some cutoff temperature above which daytime whitetail movement is curtailed. This is where your field notes will identify the "Activity Zones"

I hate to use this wording but it’s true – just like at a bar when you put more women there the more the testosterone goes up and the guys want to …. Well you know.The same can be said in the bucks as there are more does in the area feeding due to the cold weather there will be more bucks in that area also.
I am not saying that the cold weather alone is causing the bucks to “ go in to rut” but it does affect it so by saying that the daylight is the only thing that sets the rut off is by far the dumbest thing you could say , now with that said you have to think about something else like I said about the cold the moon will also play the same roll in the activity in the number of deer moving ……more does out the more bucks will be there to check out whats going on and if there are any hot does in the area.
This is just kind of my years of hunting talking and observing whats going on .
So to what was said about the light of day playing a role in it that does have some affect in it but with shorter day light hours usually means an overcast and colder day with the heavy clouds coming in.

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: fowlplayr] #4747896 11/14/13 02:37 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I'm just curious, because there is a ton of research on both penned deer and free range deer that has determined that does within a given area are bred within the same time frame each year. Why that is could be debated, I suppose, but people with more knowledge than me say it's due to photoperiod. Sounds logical, considering the consistency in occurrences.

If this guy has information on the subject that they don't, I'm listening.

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: fowlplayr] #4747910 11/14/13 02:39 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
[

He must be wearing Google out trying to find a shred of disputable evidence. popcorn [/quote]
Ha ha no pretty busy trying to put out some quote today
But no matter what i say unless it put in a book by an editor yall wont belive it.

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: Kenneth1977] #4747913 11/14/13 02:40 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
The most well known full moon is the “Harvest Moon,” occurring sometime in September. The next full moon has been called the “Hunter’s Moon” for at least 400 years in Europe. That is because red deer tend to breed on or about this moon. The succeeding full moons have no names, but are involved in whitetail breeding.

■ Weather affects movement: A changing barometer affects deer movement. Deer have
an uncanny ability to anticipate weather changes and this sixth sense is due to the
barometric pressure. Which brings out more does that otherwise would be laid up not moving much at all and this will bring more of the bucks out to so this make all the workings of pushing the rut on futher.
Science has confirmed that weather effects wildlife in a variety of ways and whitetail movement is not exception. While experts will occasionally disagree on it's effects, nothing can dispute your own observations.

This type of weather condition is fairly clear as just like high temperature inhibits our movements, high temperature inhibits deer movement as well. Low temperature stimulates movement and activity. Remember that extremes on either end of the temperature scale will inhibit movement and activity. Usually temperatures above 60-65 will begin to slow down movement and activity. No matter what time or day or season. Be sure an adjust this for your area of the country. The farther north you go the upper temperature range will slide lower. There will surely be some cutoff temperature above which daytime whitetail movement is curtailed. This is where your field notes will identify the "Activity Zones"

I hate to use this wording but it’s true – just like at a bar when you put more women there the more the testosterone goes up and the guys want to …. Well you know.The same can be said in the bucks as there are more does in the area feeding due to the cold weather there will be more bucks in that area also.
I am not saying that the cold weather alone is causing the bucks to “ go in to rut” but it does affect it so by saying that the daylight is the only thing that sets the rut off is by far the dumbest thing you could say , now with that said you have to think about something else like I said about the cold the moon will also play the same roll in the activity in the number of deer moving ……more does out the more bucks will be there to check out whats going on and if there are any hot does in the area.
This is just kind of my years of hunting talking and observing whats going on .
So to what was said about the light of day playing a role in it that does have some affect in it but with shorter day light hours usually means an overcast and colder day with the heavy clouds coming in.

That's really not that far off of what was stated in the article. Weather and moon phases affect their movement, which is what we notice, but the rut is triggered by the photoperiod.

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: Kenneth1977] #4747926 11/14/13 02:43 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
[

He must be wearing Google out trying to find a shred of disputable evidence. popcorn

Ha ha no pretty busy trying to put out some quote today
But no matter what i say unless it put in a book by an editor yall wont belive it. [/quote]

I will take anyone's experience into account. I don't believe anything just because it's in a book. The thing is, the date of conception can be nailed down pretty close, and when it happens to be on the same dates every year, that's hard to argue. Weather is inconsistent. Moon phases are different each year. Photoperiod is something that doesn't change much.

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: Sneaky] #4747929 11/14/13 02:44 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
but the rut is triggered by the photoperiod.
Not so much as you think and this is really the first time that i have read anything that this guy as put into an article but alot of what he says dont make much sense to me or my dad that i find a lot of useful facts from.

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: Kenneth1977] #4748015 11/14/13 03:11 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I've never had anyone explain why deer that live the same distance from the equator and experience the same changing periods of daylight and dark, do not rut at the same time each year.

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: Kenneth1977] #4748044 11/14/13 03:19 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
The Photoperiod theory is correct for most parts of the country in determining or predicting estrous cycles for does. The moon is important in all parts of the country for determining movement and feeding times for all deer. Combine the right moon phase with the Photoperiod theory and you have maximum deer movement along with estrous does leading to a good hunting environment. This years Full Moon on November 17th should be a great example of that for the northern parts of the state and next months full moon on the 17th should be a great example of that in the southern part of the state. Hunt all day.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: tShawnB] #4748062 11/14/13 03:26 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: tShawnB
The Photoperiod theory is correct for most parts of the country in determining or predicting estrous cycles for does.

I cannot see there being exceptions to such biological aspects of animal behavior.

I agree the theory is correct for all deer, but there is no question that deer in different parts of the country but experience identical length changes in daylight and dark, rut at times that may be weeks apart.

I don't believe weather or moon phases is the reason, but more of a matter of genetics.

Again, you will be hard pressed to find anyone that can say they know why.

The general rule is that the rut occurs sooner as you move north so that fawns are born earlier the following spring. This allows them to achieve more weight needed to survive the following winter which becomes more harsh as you move north. Why do deer in East Texas rut at a time that follows the timing of deer that live in much colder climates further north? My theory is that it's because deer from more northern climates were used in restocking efforts back in the 50's.

Some of you may find it hard to believe, but there was a time when deer were about as abundant in East Texas as turkeys are today. Some you may have older friends and relatives who remember these restocking efforts. I can remember my grandfather telling me when you had to go the Big Thicket if you wanted to hunt deer in East Texas.

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: Texas Dan] #4748131 11/14/13 03:46 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I agree with TPWD and the article that the majority of actual breeding occurs around the same time each year. Is it photoperiod that triggers it? Who knows.

But, I also know that chasing and other behavior can be triggered by the Hunter's Moon and Weather. This year the "pre rut" kicked early in our area. We had a nice cold snap and the Hunter's moon in October. Opening weekend we had deer chasing all over the place. While they were mostly young bucks, there was at least one 4.5 year old running his tail off.

Now, the question is was there any actual breeding going on? Research says no, and I couldn't get a buck to stand still long enough to ask him. I will tell you there were several does "flirting" with the bucks. You guys who have seen this before will know what I'm talking about.

Re: Interesting about RUT [Re: TxAg] #4748152 11/14/13 03:50 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: TxAg
I agree with TPWD and the article that the majority of actual breeding occurs around the same time each year. Is it photoperiod that triggers it? Who knows.

But, I also know that chasing and other behavior can be triggered by the Hunter's Moon and Weather. This year the "pre rut" kicked early in our area. We had a nice cold snap and the Hunter's moon in October. Opening weekend we had deer chasing all over the place. While they were mostly young bucks, there was at least one 4.5 year old running his tail off.

Now, the question is was there any actual breeding going on? Research says no, and I couldn't get a buck to stand still long enough to ask him. I will tell you there were several does "flirting" with the bucks. You guys who have seen this before will know what I'm talking about.

I would give the nod that other factors may nudge it a week, maybe even two either way.

But then, differences in the start of the general season can also make it seem days off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide