Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Youth Hunting [Re: Duck chaser] #4586676 09/20/13 07:56 PM
A
add147 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
My son started squirrel hunting when he was about ten. Last year he got his first buck and was thrilled to death at the age of thirteen. I cannot speak on the subject matter on how young is too young but I can speak on being able to spend time with my son. Hunting is a special time with a child in my opinion. It allows you to get one on one time with them. Take FULL advantage of that time because they do grow up before you know it! I savor every miniute I have with my son doing outdoor stuff whether it is hunting, fishing, or camping!

Re: Youth Hunting [Re: Duck chaser] #4586709 09/20/13 08:08 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Started taking mine to lease early. 6 months old to be exact. smile

First buck at 7,

Lots of good times over the last 8 years and going to Africa for her 16th b-day this summer. Start em as early as possible and take them every chance you get and cherish every second of it!

Re: Youth Hunting [Re: BMD] #4586863 09/20/13 09:05 PM
G
gtrich94 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
G
I told this story last January, but it's a good thread to repeat it in.
I took my 7 year old son and 9 year old daughter hunting for the first time last year. Technically, my son was 6 at the start of the season and turned 7 in December. Same thing for my daughter; 8 at the start, 9 in January when it finished. We had everything setup and had lots of pictures of bucks and doe all the way up until about a week before opening day.

Since this was their first year, the goal for the season was to get a doe. I didn't want them thinking you just jumped in the blind and shot a huge buck your first time out. Well, like others saw last year, opening day came around and the deer just disappeared. The acorns started falling hard and they just weren't interested in corn at all. Not to be deterred, we went out the week before Thanksgiving and between Thanksgiving and January, we probably hunted 15 days with both morning and afternoon sits in our blind. Over that time, we probably saw 3 doe and they were out on a game trail around 175 yards away. They were way to far out there for the kids, but I shot one of those in late December because we needed some meat for the freezer. Since we weren't seeing anything under the feeder and we saw a few deer on the hill to the left of our feeder, we started throwing corn all over the hill. It finally paid off towards the very end of extended doe season. I was out there with my son for one last weekend hunt. We didn't see anything on Saturday or Sunday morning so I asked him if he wanted to hunt Sunday night. I told him I would let him miss school on Monday if we couldn't get home in time. So we go out that night and just before it started to get dark, a doe walked out on the hill about 120 yards away. My son was so excited he was shivering as he lined up the shot. I moved my chair behind him, wrapped my jacked around him to warm him up, tried to calm him down as best I could and bang, he dropped the doe where she was standing. I thought he was going to tear the door off the blind in trying to get out there to see her. Needless to say, we didn't leave the lease Sunday night. The next morning I woke up about 5:30, saw it was about 25 degrees out and I asked him if he wanted to go back to the stand for one last hunt before we went home. He said nah and went back to sleep. Well about 6:30, he wakes up and tells me he wants to go. I was thinking great, it's freezing out there, we just shot a doe the night before and nothing is coming to the feeder; looks like it will be a cold, dull morning in the blind. But the little guy wanted to go, so we head out. Around 8:30, a buck walks out in the exact spot the doe was in the night before. I looked at my son, told him he had paid his dues this season by sitting there for almost the entire season without seeing a thing and if he wanted to shoot the buck, he could. Shivering again, he lined up the buck and bang, nailed him right behind the shoulder. The buck ran about 20 yards and dropped.

Here is my son with his first doe

Here he is with his first buck

What was funny is that my wife told us at the beginning of the season that there would be no horns in our house. If we wanted to mount something, it would stay in the trailer at the lease. When I sent her a picture of his buck, her first response was "you're getting that mounted to put in his room right?" I almost dropped my phone I was laughing so hard.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Youth Hunting [Re: gtrich94] #4587055 09/20/13 10:05 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I started taking my son when he was 2 years old.
He shot his first deer when he was 11.
IMO... That a child should be taught to hunt as well as gun and hunting safety before given the right to kill an animal.

This is his first deer at the age of 11.

This is his first buck at the age of 12.

[Linked Image]
Re: Youth Hunting [Re: Duck chaser] #4588248 09/21/13 07:30 AM
S
Sader762 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Great stories and pics!

My kids will hunt again with me this year and if the opportunity presents itself they will get to take a shot. My son is 9 and my daughter is 11. I picked them up a new Remington 700 ADL in .243 for them this week. Man was my daughter excited!

Re: Youth Hunting [Re: gtrich94] #4588253 09/21/13 07:35 AM
F
Fork-LegendV21 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: gtrich94
I told this story last January, but it's a good thread to repeat it in.
I took my 7 year old son and 9 year old daughter hunting for the first time last year. Technically, my son was 6 at the start of the season and turned 7 in December. Same thing for my daughter; 8 at the start, 9 in January when it finished. We had everything setup and had lots of pictures of bucks and doe all the way up until about a week before opening day.

Since this was their first year, the goal for the season was to get a doe. I didn't want them thinking you just jumped in the blind and shot a huge buck your first time out. Well, like others saw last year, opening day came around and the deer just disappeared. The acorns started falling hard and they just weren't interested in corn at all. Not to be deterred, we went out the week before Thanksgiving and between Thanksgiving and January, we probably hunted 15 days with both morning and afternoon sits in our blind. Over that time, we probably saw 3 doe and they were out on a game trail around 175 yards away. They were way to far out there for the kids, but I shot one of those in late December because we needed some meat for the freezer. Since we weren't seeing anything under the feeder and we saw a few deer on the hill to the left of our feeder, we started throwing corn all over the hill. It finally paid off towards the very end of extended doe season. I was out there with my son for one last weekend hunt. We didn't see anything on Saturday or Sunday morning so I asked him if he wanted to hunt Sunday night. I told him I would let him miss school on Monday if we couldn't get home in time. So we go out that night and just before it started to get dark, a doe walked out on the hill about 120 yards away. My son was so excited he was shivering as he lined up the shot. I moved my chair behind him, wrapped my jacked around him to warm him up, tried to calm him down as best I could and bang, he dropped the doe where she was standing. I thought he was going to tear the door off the blind in trying to get out there to see her. Needless to say, we didn't leave the lease Sunday night. The next morning I woke up about 5:30, saw it was about 25 degrees out and I asked him if he wanted to go back to the stand for one last hunt before we went home. He said nah and went back to sleep. Well about 6:30, he wakes up and tells me he wants to go. I was thinking great, it's freezing out there, we just shot a doe the night before and nothing is coming to the feeder; looks like it will be a cold, dull morning in the blind. But the little guy wanted to go, so we head out. Around 8:30, a buck walks out in the exact spot the doe was in the night before. I looked at my son, told him he had paid his dues this season by sitting there for almost the entire season without seeing a thing and if he wanted to shoot the buck, he could. Shivering again, he lined up the buck and bang, nailed him right behind the shoulder. The buck ran about 20 yards and dropped.

Here is my son with his first doe

Here he is with his first buck

What was funny is that my wife told us at the beginning of the season that there would be no horns in our house. If we wanted to mount something, it would stay in the trailer at the lease. When I sent her a picture of his buck, her first response was "you're getting that mounted to put in his room right?" I almost dropped my phone I was laughing so hard.

great story and awesome buck!

[Linked Image]
Re: Youth Hunting [Re: Pope&Young] #4588254 09/21/13 07:36 AM
F
Fork-LegendV21 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: Pope&Young
I started taking my son when he was 2 years old.
He shot his first deer when he was 11.
IMO... That a child should be taught to hunt as well as gun and hunting safety before given the right to kill an animal.

This is his first deer at the age of 11.

This is his first buck at the age of 12.

Man what a buck! Good job!

[Linked Image]
Re: Youth Hunting [Re: Leonardo] #4588580 09/21/13 02:04 PM
94 Sting Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Each of my kids are different. My 8 year old can sit for hours patiently & has been shooting at the range for a couple years now. He will be ready soon & don't need games or entertainment in the stand. When he looks like he is getting a little bored or tired & encourage him to take a little nap & I wake him when the deer start comming out.
My 6 year old loves going to the lease but is very ancey & can be impatient so he plays games on my phone in the blind to keep him occupied when it is slow. Probably won't be ready to shoot one for quite a while. Either way we always have a great time when we are at the lease!

Great post by buccaneer earlier. I have done all those things except using calls. I will let them do that this year to make them feel more involved even if it is just for fun.

[Linked Image]
Re: Youth Hunting [Re: 94 Sting] #4588759 09/21/13 03:31 PM
A
add147 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Kids that hunt and fish in my opinion have respect in general and tend to not get in trouble! Great pictures everyone...

Re: Youth Hunting [Re: add147] #4682948 10/22/13 10:55 PM
E
Esslmeister Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
Great info guys!

Re: Youth Hunting [Re: Leonardo] #4683031 10/22/13 11:27 PM
D
deerslayer78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
My son is 5 turning 6 this November 5th. He sat and watched deer with me since turning 4. He takes his lil naps and gets hungry and likes to play on his iPhone 3G (hunting games). When he turned 5 it was opening day last year and we watched a 4 point cull (no brow tines & 3+ years old). I quietly explained that I could shoot him or we could wait for a possibly bigger buck. Since the deer was a cull and it was my son's 5th birthday opening day I gave him 15mins to make the call. He turned to me after 7mins and said "Daddy I want that buck". So he slid on his ear plugs and I let the ole .270 sing. One shot & he stumbled 25 feet (dirt nap). This year he will sit with me once again and watch the hunting process once again. This next summer he will be shooting his own rifle at the range at deer targets and basic targets as well as hog targets. I make it a point to educate him continuously and test him. He already has a tactical .22 and is a very good shot especially for a 5 year old. So I would say it depends on the kid and the maturity and discipline of that kid. My 2 daughters will be hunting with me in the blind with them and harvesting their own deer or hog. Education my friends goes a long way. And when our children are young they absorb so much it is sometimes unbelievable. When your child is ready you will know and so will they. Preserve this great past time by passing it onto our children. Thanks, Frank.

You Only Fail If You Never Try!!!
Re: Youth Hunting [Re: deerslayer78] #4683051 10/22/13 11:31 PM
D
deerslayer78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
And yes my son especially helps me as much as he can set up blinds, feeders, cameras, scout trails, identify tracks and how heavy the animal is, rubs, scrapes, etc. Get them involved as much as possible. Even watching hunting shows are a good tool.

Re: Youth Hunting [Re: deerslayer78] #4683088 10/22/13 11:43 PM
D
deerslayer78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Here is a pic of my son and the buck we shot on his 5th birthday (opening day).

Re: Youth Hunting [Re: deerslayer78] #4684138 10/23/13 10:50 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
My Grandson, now 14, started hunting with me when he was 4. We sat in a stand. He had his BB gun and I had a 30-06. He got to take the first shot and if it wasn't a clean kill, I shot to finish off his deer.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Youth Hunting [Re: Dave Davidson] #4684233 10/23/13 12:04 PM
D
deerslayer78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
up

Re: Youth Hunting [Re: deerslayer78] #4717674 11/04/13 12:27 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
That smile tells it all.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Youth Hunting [Re: Dave Davidson] #4718697 11/04/13 05:42 PM
817cd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
That rifle is pointing at the kids head in the second picture… just saying.
Great post.

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Never used photoshop and never will. Photoshop is for liberals.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide