Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cold winter #4514582 08/27/13 12:40 AM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Well I hope it's true and pushes the birds down.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/08/2...er-for-most-us/

Re: Cold winter [Re: Spacemonkey] #4514672 08/27/13 01:00 AM
B
BigAL33 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Me too. I just hope we get some rain between now and then!

Re: Cold winter [Re: BigAL33] #4514699 08/27/13 01:05 AM
D
deckhand Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Talking with old school gentleman and they are telling me a harder than average winter because the does were dropping a lot of twins.

http://www.resole.com/ They can fix a pair of boots!
Re: Cold winter [Re: deckhand] #4515519 08/27/13 04:25 AM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Oh I know it. We need rain so bad. We need flooding rains.
If not ill be waddling in the mud flats again this year.

Re: Cold winter [Re: Spacemonkey] #4515530 08/27/13 04:32 AM
G
Greenheadkiller Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
Does anyone recommend an affordable E collar or have a good one they want to sell?

Re: Cold winter [Re: Greenheadkiller] #4515564 08/27/13 04:47 AM
J
JakeJJ Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: Greenheadkiller
Does anyone recommend an affordable E collar or have a good one they want to sell?

What in the world does that have to do with a cold winter?

Back on topic: I have seen a ton of does with twins this year.

We interrupt this marriage for hunting season.

USAF 07-Present
OIF 09-10
OSS 14
Re: Cold winter [Re: JakeJJ] #4515576 08/27/13 04:51 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I think the long drought and then this year the decent rains had more to do with the sets of twins than the weather of this coming winter.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Cold winter [Re: Greenheadkiller] #4515680 08/27/13 10:33 AM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Top left of migratory page is a box that says new topic. Click it then make your own post or top right has a search option where if you type that question, you'll find several post on the subject. Tritronics will be the most suggested collar.

I hope we have a really wet winter, we need it.

Re: Cold winter [Re: 8pointdrop] #4515700 08/27/13 11:00 AM
T
txhunter08 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Hopefully it's true almost every doe Ive seen at the house has twins and couple with triplets

Re: Cold winter [Re: txhunter08] #4516845 08/27/13 05:38 PM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Bring it on, the colder the better...and the more I enjoy it.

Re: Cold winter [Re: Featherduster] #4516851 08/27/13 05:42 PM
T
treeman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
wheres all the hurricanes they predicted for this year?

Re: Cold winter [Re: Featherduster] #4516854 08/27/13 05:43 PM
S
Spent Brass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Cold winter [Re: Featherduster] #4516875 08/27/13 05:50 PM
B
brazosboyt Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I'm sure that there are several people that will disagree with this but I think that our days of getting pushes of ducks with cold-weather are over with. I've been keeping a log book of birds killed weather conditions etc. since 1996. In 1996 and 1997 we shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 mallards per year. Every year since then that number has declined down to the point where the last five years we have not kill more than 50 mallards in a season. (Out of 2000 ish birds/yr)

So what has changed – planting practices for hunting ducks. There's an immense amount of land the Midwest that is planted in corn and flooded for mallards. My friends that Hunt that area say that the mallards will stand on top of 2 inch thick ice and eat the corn. And the biologist say this is a big part of population growth for mallards and Canada geese-lowered migration mortality because they have cut their migration distance in half and have unlimited food source.

The birds that we kill predominantly in central Texas our photo migrators. They are heading to the coast that basically the same time each year based on the link the day more than whether. Those being gadwalls, teal, redheads.

Back in 96 and 97 I could show that a strong southern dipping Arctic front would bring huge numbers of mallards to our area. What I show now is a strong dipping Arctic front takes our local birds and pushes them to the coast.

What I have seen the last 6 to 7 years is that a strong front blows pur birds out and our best hunts are generally 2 to 3 days after the cold front with a strong Southwind where we get coastal birds coming up.

Re: Cold winter [Re: brazosboyt] #4516901 08/27/13 05:57 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: brazosboyt
I'm sure that there are several people that will disagree with this but I think that our days of getting pushes of ducks with cold-weather are over with. I've been keeping a log book of birds killed weather conditions etc. since 1996. In 1996 and 1997 we shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 mallards per year. Every year since then that number has declined down to the point where the last five years we have not kill more than 50 mallards in a season. (Out of 2000 ish birds/yr)

So what has changed – planting practices for hunting ducks.
There's an immense amount of land the Midwest that is planted in corn and flooded for mallards. My friends that Hunt that area say that the mallards will stand on top of 2 inch thick ice and eat the corn. And the biologist say this is a big part of population growth for mallards and Canada geese-lowered migration mortality because they have cut their migration distance in half and have unlimited food source.

The birds that we kill predominantly in central Texas our photo migrators. They are heading to the coast that basically the same time each year based on the link the day more than whether. Those being gadwalls, teal, redheads.

Back in 96 and 97 I could show that a strong southern dipping Arctic front would bring huge numbers of mallards to our area. What I show now is a strong dipping Arctic front takes our local birds and pushes them to the coast.

What I have seen the last 6 to 7 years is that a strong front blows pur birds out and our best hunts are generally 2 to 3 days after the cold front with a strong Southwind where we get coastal birds coming up.

Nah i think it's just more hunters and less water over the years have made them more likely to be on the slim side.

Re: Cold winter [Re: dogcatcher] #4516904 08/27/13 05:57 PM
S
Stump_jumper Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
I think the long drought and then this year the decent rains had more to do with the sets of twins than the weather of this coming winter.
+1, natural response to good range conditions and low numbers from drought years

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Cold winter [Re: brazosboyt] #4517016 08/27/13 06:45 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

So what has changed – planting practices for hunting ducks. There's an immense amount of land the Midwest that is planted in corn and flooded for mallards. My friends that Hunt that area say that the mallards will stand on top of 2 inch thick ice and eat the corn. And the biologist say this is a big part of population growth for mallards and Canada geese-lowered migration mortality because they have cut their migration distance in half and have unlimited food source.

I can buy some of that but I really don't think that there is so much corn planted that it stops the entire migration of mallards. Now my records on the ranch show that we have been in a drouth from half Azz to full blown since 1996 in Texas, but lots of rain north of us and most farming moving from centex to westtex and you prolly have the answer to your mallard problem. If they are planting so much corn to flood for ducks that it's stopping them from migrating then we have bigger problems that need to be addressed

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Cold winter [Re: Featherduster] #4517299 08/27/13 08:34 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Featherduster

Yeah you and me both. Nothing better than a cold wet day. My fav hunting weather

Re: Cold winter [Re: Jeff Elder] #4517333 08/27/13 08:46 PM
B
brazosboyt Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder

I can buy some of that but I really don't think that there is so much corn planted that it stops the entire migration of mallards. Now my records on the ranch show that we have been in a drouth from half Azz to full blown since 1996 in Texas, but lots of rain north of us and most farming moving from centex to westtex and you prolly have the answer to your mallard problem. If they are planting so much corn to flood for ducks that it's stopping them from migrating then we have bigger problems that need to be addressed

I would agree with you completely on the changes in farming practices being a large part of what has probably shifted the ducks. The friend of mine that is a biologist up north said that it is something that they are considering addressing in the fact that so many of the mallards in Canada geese are no longer migrating. They are staying on frozen fields and frozen ponds up north due to the amount of flooded food production.

I've just gotten to where the last few years that the only thing that excites me about a really good cold front coming is the one day were you have that ripping north wind that gets the ducks close to the bank.

Re: Cold winter [Re: brazosboyt] #4517500 08/27/13 09:35 PM
M
MrBuzz7275 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
very interesting read...

Bring on the Cold!

Romans 1:16-17
Ephesians 2:8-10
Re: Cold winter [Re: Greenheadkiller] #4517586 08/27/13 10:14 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G

Tri Tronics G3 Sport Basic, works great in the cold weather.

Re: Cold winter [Re: MrBuzz7275] #4517597 08/27/13 10:17 PM
B
B Razorback Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
So the widgeons, gadwalls, and redheads will keep migrating south? Because we never shoot mallard down in Glen Rose till late late season. Even then though we still shoot like 3.

You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! -Davy Crocket
This is duck hunting...shirts and shoes are optional
Re: Cold winter [Re: B Razorback] #4517598 08/27/13 10:17 PM
B
B Razorback Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
But I would LOVE a cold winter! That's all I usually hope for!

You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! -Davy Crocket
This is duck hunting...shirts and shoes are optional
Re: Cold winter [Re: brazosboyt] #4517729 08/27/13 11:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

While I'm not a fan of DU, no farmer is going to flood $ 2000-2500acre corn. Makes no sense, zero. To flood 10 acres of corn that's 20k-25k. That's a lot of damn duck hunts. Grant it 10 acres of open water with corn will hold thousands of birds. But still your talking an entire migration.

Big two things is--- its been a while since we had a harsh fall up north. Kansas/Oklahoma have been stack up with ducks will in to Jan because its taking that long for the water to hard freeze.

Second part of equation is look at the farming changes in east texas. No more peanuts and not a rice crop worth a flip in last few years.

Now I'm sure big hunt clubs up north and DU entire season ice eaters are effecting us some but for the most part as long as the majority of the water north of us isn't freezing then the ducks have no reason to leave. When my family are shooting 6-8man limits of Greenheads on my ranch all the way to the last day of Oklahoma season, that means us guys that are for the most part at the end of the migration route are screwed because those ducks aren't going to make it to us durning season

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cold winter [Re: B Razorback] #4517742 08/27/13 11:19 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: WHACK&STACK
So the widgeons, gadwalls, and redheads will keep migrating south? Because we never shoot mallard down in Glen Rose till late late season. Even then though we still shoot like 3.

stephenville/erath county use to be a awesome greenhead hunting because its was all peanut farmers, now its sudan and coastal....

Bring back those peanut farms and you will see the greenheads again

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cold winter [Re: Greenheadkiller] #4517782 08/27/13 11:32 PM
O
old guy Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
O
I have two Dogtra E collars I would sell. call me at: 972-754-5493

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread