Being Green #4103286 03/06/13 11:19 AM
S
Seadog Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
Being Green...

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."

The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment f
or future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were truly recycled.

But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks. This was to ensure that public property, (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.

But too bad we didn't do the green thing back then.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throwaway kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that young lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart-[censored] young person.

We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Being Green [Re: Seadog] #4103400 03/06/13 01:21 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
..and most businesses didn't have a cashier who couldn't make change without using the register! (..my get even!)

Funny thing about those plastic bags! Seems that I remember the excuse for phasing them in was because we were using too many trees..... So now we've gone full circle.

up

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Being Green [Re: Hunt n Fish] #4103496 03/06/13 02:10 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Haha. I was just reminding my wife about taking 10 bottles in and getting a drink and a chick-o-stick for them.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Being Green [Re: hook_n_line] #4103699 03/06/13 03:29 PM
B
bull frog Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
thats soo true

Re: Being Green [Re: bull frog] #4214636 04/26/13 06:57 PM
A
ADP05 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
lol

Drew Phillips
Re: Being Green [Re: ADP05] #4214857 04/26/13 08:21 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Excellent points

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Being Green [Re: hook_n_line] #4215155 04/26/13 09:56 PM
F
Fat Tire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I remember spending whole Saturdays as a kid riding our bikes around looking for bottles to turn in for money.

Re: Being Green [Re: Fat Tire] #4215732 04/27/13 03:11 AM
P
pigplinker Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
P
Yes we did recycle until it seemed to become work.

Re: Being Green [Re: pigplinker] #4219895 04/29/13 04:29 PM
B
BnT Offline
Super Troll
Super Troll
B
I wish I could have exprienced this.

Re: Being Green [Re: BnT] #4222239 04/30/13 04:26 PM
M
mideon2000 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
They just had gas guzzling auto engines and dumped industrial waste in to many of the rivers. Appliances were bulky and inefficient and used plenty of power. Don't get me wrong, todays world in not blameless, but the older generation had plenty of screwups too.

I only lie when I tell the truth.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide