Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: txtrophy85] #3989280 01/24/13 09:06 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I've been hunting LaSalle and Webb Counties for more than 20 years. I've fished the Mexican side of Falcon many times and been as far up the Salado River as you can go (that's where David Hartley was allegedly killed).

I've been hunting a ranch 26 miles from Laredo all season and have NEVER had a problem down there, ever.

As for the Hartley incident, what you've heard in the press about "sightseeing" and such is complete BS. The real story is known by many, but very few outside of law enforcement or the immediate area.

Go on your hog hunt and have fun! There are plenty of them down there that need to be fed some lead!

Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: txtrophy85] #3989656 01/24/13 10:43 PM
Dragonuv Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: Dragonuv
[quote=MS1454]No and no.

What exactly are the dangers associated with illegals?

Drug traffickers? Stay on the US side and you should be fine.

I sure wouldn't bet my life on that.

The illegals themselves are probably not much of a threat, however; the coyotes that are leading them usually work for someone less understanding and do not take it lightly when someone interferes with their money making schemes.

The drug dealers are a threat regardless of which side of the border they are on. They don't stop when they hit the border, they keep going right across and will more than likely not be very happy if they see you watching them. They are risking a bunch of money and have no qualms about taking you out, especially if you are in the middle of nowhere and there is no chance of getting caught...which is usually the case. Once they reach the border, their journey is only half over. Mexico or USA, it doesn't matter, all they see is money and I would not want to be the one to cause them any paranoia.
A perfect example is the guy who got killed on his jetski just because he and his wife drove too close to a drug drop location(was an old bldg) on the Mexican side of the lake. If I recall correctly, they were, basically, in the middle of the lake, so that tells you how paranoid these people can get. You're not dealing with some crackhead working a downtown corner, these guys are the Mexican drug cartels. You know, the ones on the news because they beheaded and dismembered dozens of people, and murdered thousands more.

The best suggestion anyone can give you is to contact the regional I.C.E., Border Patrol and DPS offices and talk to them. They'd be able to give you better info than anyone on here could.

Good luck.

That's not what happened with the falcon lake case at all.

Why post something if you don't know the facts?

they where WAY back up in the salanias over on the mexican side over by old guerreo. They rolled up on some drug dealers and they opened fire. they had no business going over there especially on jet ski's. It was not "in the middle of the lake"

there have been people running drugs and people across south texas for as long as you and I have been around. its not any more dangerous or safer than it has been since the 80's

Only thing I worry about in south texas Is whether or not I'm gonna get hit by an oilfield truck by some guy texting

Hopefully ya'll are correct and nothing happens, as is the case in most instances, but all it takes is to be wrong once. Whether I am right or wrong is of no consequence, and who cares where they were at on the lake. The point is...the guy was still murdered in cold blood, and his wife would have been dead too had she not hauled butt when she did. All I am saying is the best thing to do is get with the local leo's and they can tell you where the risky hot-spots are.
Sure it may not be a "big" risk, but it is a risk all the same. A risk that will be fatal if you are wrong. Is being wrong worth dying for? I am sure it all depends on how far you are from the border and what part of the border you are close to. The graveyards are filled with people who said "ah, don't worry about it". It's always better to have more brains than bullets. You're free to nonchalantly trample around the border all you want, but when our agents are carrying machine guns and wearing camo...that ought to tell anyone with half a brain that the threat is real. But of course, you're the next baddest thing to Rambo and nothing will ever happen to you. Even the guys who patrol the border on a daily basis don't wonder around there blindly, but you are welcome to if it makes you happy. I just hope the DPS never has a reason to knock on your door and notify your next of kin. So go knock yourself out, it's not my life your playing roulette with. You'd still be smart to contact law enforcement for advice though.

Last edited by Dragonuv; 01/24/13 10:48 PM.
Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: bigpigtx] #3989680 01/24/13 10:51 PM
Dragonuv Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: bigpigtx
Originally Posted By: MS1454
No and no.

The illegals themselves are probably not much of a threat, however; the coyotes that are leading them usually work for someone less understanding and do not take it lightly when someone interferes with their money making schemes.

The drug dealers are a threat regardless of which side of the border they are on. They don't stop when they hit the border, they keep going right across and will more than likely not be very happy if they see you watching them. They are risking a bunch of money and have no qualms about taking you out, especially if you are in the middle of nowhere and there is no chance of getting caught...which is usually the case. Once they reach the border, their journey is only half over. Mexico or USA, it doesn't matter, all they see is money and I would not want to be the one to cause them any paranoia.
A perfect example is the guy who got killed on his jetski just because he and his wife drove too close to a drug drop location(was an old bldg) on the Mexican side of the lake. If I recall correctly, they were, basically, in the middle of the lake, so that tells you how paranoid these people can get. You're not dealing with some crackhead working a downtown corner, these guys are the Mexican drug cartels. You know, the ones on the news because they beheaded and dismembered dozens of people, and murdered thousands more.

The best suggestion anyone can give you is to contact the regional I.C.E., Border Patrol and DPS offices and talk to them. They'd be able to give you better info than anyone on here could.

Good luck.

Have there been any other cases?
Of course not, that is the only time in recorded history that drug dealers have ever killed anyone.

Last edited by Dragonuv; 01/24/13 10:52 PM.
Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: Dragonuv] #3989929 01/25/13 12:11 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
So you guys think south Texas is safe do ya?

Ya'll haven't been driving around on those roads down there with all the crazy Eagle Ford play truck drivers. Speed up and play their game, or move over or get run over it's you're choice.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: Jimbo] #3990006 01/25/13 12:39 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Whew!

Was able to dodge highwaymen, bandidos, drug dealers and the la chuza

Survived another day in south texas

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: txtrophy85] #3990043 01/25/13 12:52 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Whew!

Was able to dodge highwaymen, bandidos, drug dealers and the la chuza

Survived another day in south texas

Well are we eating chicken or feathers tonight?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: txtrophy85] #3990200 01/25/13 01:32 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
No and no.

Good luck.

This is true. The couple were ALLEGEDLY running drugs and they(The cartel) wanted to set an example. That's why they LET her get away.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: Jimbo] #3990249 01/25/13 01:44 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Jimbo

Ya'll haven't been driving around on those roads down there with all the crazy Eagle Ford play truck drivers. Speed up and play their game, or move over or get run over it's you're choice.

That'll teach you to obstruct progress. The oilfield gets things done. This ain't no union. Keep up or get mowed down. Haha.

Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: Sneaky] #3990301 01/25/13 01:59 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

That'll teach you to obstruct progress. The oilfield gets things done. This ain't no union. Keep up or get mowed down. Haha.

Yep they are mowing them down at a pretty good clip with the increased rate in deaths due to vehicle accidents.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: stxranchman] #3990323 01/25/13 02:05 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Yep they are mowing them down at a pretty good clip with the increased rate in deaths due to vehicle accidents.

It's an imperfect industry....just like all the rest.

Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: stxranchman] #3990375 01/25/13 02:13 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

We had to deal with that for a few years here in the Barnett. That has stopped, thank goodness.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: Sneaky] #3990389 01/25/13 02:15 AM
S
STX Hog Hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
The illegals will not want to make contact with you unless they are in need of food or water. Drug runners even less. If you do bump into em just call the BP. I have hunted ranches right on the river in Laredo and hunt every year in LaSalle County and havnt had any issues.

Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: STX Hog Hunter] #3990581 01/25/13 02:51 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I too have hunted on ranches that were actually on the river. We were also warned to keep clear of anyone we see, don't play Barney Fife, and just let them go. If they are up to go good, they are better armed than you. The land owners dad was shot on that ranch by illegals, they got $20 and life in prison.
But I have heard just as many horror stories about trespassers and poachers 200 miles away from the border.

It's like them oil field trucks, stay clear, they will move on. If you think you can take them on, you lose.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: Simple Searcher] #3990766 01/25/13 03:26 AM
10ring Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Spend some good quality time in South Texas Hunting and Fishing and enjoying the outdoors, then go spend a day on the South side of Chicago or in East St.Louis and see how comfortable you feel about your surroundings. I'll choose South Texas.... thank you very much!

Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: Erathkid] #3990836 01/25/13 03:44 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
No and no.

Good luck.

This is true. The couple were ALLEGEDLY running drugs and they(The cartel) wanted to set an example. That's why they LET her get away.

And how do you know that this is true or not?

Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: 10ring] #3990882 01/25/13 03:58 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: 10ring
Spend some good quality time in South Texas Hunting and Fishing and enjoying the outdoors, then go spend a day on the South side of Chicago or in East St.Louis and see how comfortable you feel about your surroundings. I'll choose South Texas.... thank you very much!

Or in Houston. First night in my hotel for business last year there was a shoot out right behind me. Lots of gunfire, cops never even showed...happens all the time. Just go hunt & don't live in fear. Be prepared to protect yourself no matter where you go. Pay attention & have fun. I would rather be in deep S Texas than Houston any day.

Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: skinnerback] #3990893 01/25/13 04:02 AM
B
bucksducksntrucks Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
+1 to being prepared, whether its the countryside near your back yard or on the border. ALready crossed two squatters in our hunting adventures, and don't plan on ever crossing a third unarmed.

Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: bucksducksntrucks] #3991002 01/25/13 04:37 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I work with DHS. And if you want the skinny on the real facts vs hype pm me. I also operator my outfitting business almost solely out of south Texas. I'll say this "better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it!!!!"

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: Mike Honcho] #3992345 01/25/13 06:36 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: jorge
I work with DHS. And if you want the skinny on the real facts vs hype pm me. I also operator my outfitting business almost solely out of south Texas. I'll say this "better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it!!!!"

This has always been the case in south Texas way before all the drug lords and drug running was ever in the news.
Anyone out and about in that country always carried some type of weapon. It's harsh country, and not very forgiving, and what doesn't stick you or poke you, bite you, will eventually eat you if you aren't prepared.
It's harsh country, it's dry and hot, and if you were to keel over out there by any of several means, all you can hope is they find you're carcass fast, as it would be food for the Karakara's, the buzzards, coyotes, mountain lions, hogs and everything else down there that is constantly searching for the next easy meal.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: Jimbo] #3992878 01/25/13 09:21 PM
S
STX Hog Hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: jorge

This has always been the case in south Texas way before all the drug lords and drug running was ever in the news.
Anyone out and about in that country always carried some type of weapon. It's harsh country, and not very forgiving, and what doesn't stick you or poke you, bite you, will eventually eat you if you aren't prepared.
It's harsh country, it's dry and hot, and if you were to keel over out there by any of several means, all you can hope is they find you're carcass fast, as it would be food for the Karakara's, the buzzards, coyotes, mountain lions, hogs and everything else down there that is constantly searching for the next easy meal.

LOL. It aint that bad.

Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: STX Hog Hunter] #3993030 01/25/13 10:10 PM
L
lonestar45 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
I have been going to mexico and south texas to hunt and fish as long as I can remember, flying and driving. Walking across the border at night to eat in matamoros was a normal thing to do. But it does not take very much time or sense to see that things are not the way they used to be. And for someone to say its just as safe as it was in the 70's, 80's, and 90's is either and idiot or has a vested interest in people wanting to come to south texas. Knowing that do I still go yes I do. I go strait to the place I am going to hunt or fish and just stay there and enjoy my time. Chihuahua, Ciudad Juarez, and Nuevo Laredo are some of the most dangerous cities in the world. Ciudad Juarez is the most dangerous. And those people are coming to the united states through those cities. Thats why I dont hunt south of Nuevo laredo anymore. If I want to go to the west coast I just dont go to acapulco or mazatlan. So yes I still go I am just aware of my surroundings, and when I am talking about south texas Im talking about close to the border not pearsall.

Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: lonestar45] #3994123 01/26/13 04:37 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
To be honest, didn't read all the posts earlier. Used to have a lease near Dryden, just a few miles from the border. Border Patrol would come in to camp on opening weekend of mule deer season every year and tell us not to hunt at night unless we were with a large party. This was due to the coyotes and drug runners running the arroyos. Made for a tense few hours in the early morning sitting on a Mesa all alone before dawn.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: Halfadozen] #3995742 01/26/13 10:22 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I wouldn't worry too much....just carry a good sidearm and keep your eyes open.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: Eland Slayer] #3997489 01/27/13 03:51 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Certainly a reason to carry an AR type rifle and several mags, ans a pistol with several mags.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Dangers of hunting South Texas [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #3997709 01/27/13 05:07 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Certainly a reason to carry an AR type rifle and several mags, ans a pistol with several mags.

don't forget your kevlar vest, helmet and eye protection.

also be sure to have a radio handy that way you can call in an air strike if needed or get an extraction if the hunt goes well.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide