Forums46
Topics539,351
Posts9,748,598
Members87,157
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: cameron00] #3671629 10/18/12 04:49 PM
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: cameron00
Originally Posted By: Don Dial
Let me perhaps burst a few bubbles..Coyotes and Cats usually go
after the healthiest largest animals they can get..Yes they will
take a freebee like sick or injured. I have watched Mountain Lions jump full grown large healthy Bull Elk and it was over very
shortly. When I still had hounds a few years back a rancher called me out of Bandera that had a very large Axis Buck killed,
partially eaten and buried in the middle of his field..Horns sticking up..Mountain Lion...Todd Mischnick has trapped West Tx
for yrs. and he catches mainly Coyotes..and it's not because they
don't hunt and kill, especially sheep..Don

Your end conclusion is partially correct, but the means by which you arrived at it isn't.

Cougars and coyotes (and actually any and all predators) do not "usually go after the healthiest and largest animals they can get". That's false. Quite the opposite. Lions, tigers, cheetahs, coyotes, cougars, etc all prey on the weakest animals in the pack if they have a choice. It's an evolutionary learned behavior because in nature, even a slight injury can end up fatal if it prevents the predator from moving at full speed. The added nutritional content of taking a heavier healthy buck over a sick or small one does not make up for the additional risk of sustaining an injury in doing so.

You end up seeing a lot of the larger bucks (with whitetails) killed by cougars because the bigger, dominant bucks tend to be the most likely to stand their ground instead of running. And while they may be big and bad, they still can't handle a cougar and become cat food. Coyotes do not target large bucks unless they're desperate. They'll always pick the weaker animals if they have any option whatsoever.
Years ago when 1080 was still legal we were having a problem with coyotes getting sheep. We put some on the 1080 collars on some old ewes. The coyotes never did kill any of those they went for the best sheep.

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: don k] #3671756 10/18/12 05:38 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
It's more likely that "the best sheep" were the ones trying to defend the herd and died as a consequence than it is that the coyotes were targeting them.

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: cameron00] #3672093 10/18/12 07:22 PM
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: cameron00
It's more likely that "the best sheep" were the ones trying to defend the herd and died as a consequence than it is that the coyotes were targeting them.
Then why did they kill my best young Ibex? There are old skinny nannies and other Ibex smaller than him. And don't tell me he was defending the herd. There are also Ibex a lot larger than him.

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: Trout-killer] #3673126 10/19/12 01:22 AM
G
gtx570 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
this was a couple years ago at my property. some coyotes sometimes do bite off more than they can chew

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: gtx570] #3673796 10/19/12 11:23 AM
P
predator-solutions Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Yeah and while he is chasing that one off and wearing himself out, the other coyotes are getting ready to eat him just like the one in the video.

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: predator-solutions] #3673867 10/19/12 12:04 PM
P
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Looks like all these coyote experts can't answere don k question. I can answere it for you don. They eat what they want when they want!!! It don't matter if its sick, healthy, alive or dead. They get it in there mind and that's what they do. These coyote cuddlers on here don't have a clue bout what goes on in the woods except what some other looser tells them. If you let 1 coyote walk you are as guilty as he is for killing your own animals.

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: predator-solutions] #3673948 10/19/12 12:48 PM
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: predator-solutions
Looks like all these coyote experts can't answere don k question. I can answere it for you don. They eat what they want when they want!!! It don't matter if its sick, healthy, alive or dead. They get it in there mind and that's what they do. These coyote cuddlers on here don't have a clue bout what goes on in the woods except what some other looser tells them. If you let 1 coyote walk you are as guilty as he is for killing your own animals.
Very true. From what I have seen most herd type abimals will group up when threatened. One of the herd will get scared and break out of the herd. The coyote or coyotes then go after that animal. They latch on to the throat right behind the head and hang on until the animal goes down. Sick or old animals don't usually break out of the herd, it is one in better shape. If it is a lone coyote it will eat open the rib cage and eat the organs above the diaphram. If it is a young animal they have killed they chew it in half usually leaving the front half after eating the internal organs. I kill every coyote I can either shooting, traping, snaring or running over on the highway. They are like cockroaches and will be around after we are all gone.

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: predator-solutions] #3673955 10/19/12 12:52 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Coyotes do not head out on a hunt with a certain animal in mind to kill to eat. They hunt and whatever presents itself as an easy catch is what they eat-healthy, sick, already dead animals, corn under a feeder, mast crops, grasshoppers or whatever they find that day. I had a mature and healthy mule deer buck get spooked and run dead at me in West Texas. He seen me and took off and at 600-700 yards running away ran by a bedded coyote and he jumped in behind the deer chasing him. Coyote chased that Mule Deer out of my sight and I lost them at a mile or so distance. Once they do find a place where the hunting is good for them they will return till something changes in that area.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: stxranchman] #3674041 10/19/12 01:24 PM
P
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Ranchman you don't no sh!t.when you can read a coyotes mind ill hire you and pay 100k a year. You been fooled by the other coyote cuddlers on here. The truth is you are turning a opinion off some biologist or another educated nutt ball that wouldn't no a coyote kill from a road kill. Any one that says always or never with a coyote has never had to deal with them on a killing level

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: predator-solutions] #3674049 10/19/12 01:28 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Ranchman you don't no sh!t.when you can read a coyotes mind ill hire you and pay 100k a year. You been fooled by the other coyote cuddlers on here. The truth is you are turning a opinion off some biologist or another educated nutt ball that wouldn't no a coyote kill from a road kill. Any one that says always or never with a coyote has never had to deal with them on a killing level

Keep digging that hole for yourself up

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: predator-solutions] #3674079 10/19/12 01:40 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

Oh yes. No one on here has any experience killing coyotes except you, because you're an awesome "predator killer".

Psst...we all kill coyotes. It's not difficult or a skill unique to you.

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: stxranchman] #3674081 10/19/12 01:40 PM
T
tag saver Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
ranchman is right brother .......
i dont know where you come from ......
but coyotes take whatever they can get .....
i seen em eat milo i put out for turkey .......
all the way to cute lil puppies .....
they eat whatever is easiest to get

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: predator-solutions] #3674086 10/19/12 01:42 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A

Wow man I'm all about killing coyotes, heck I actually have become more fond of varmint hunting than deer hunting, but dude you need to calm down. There has been one mention of someone not shooting them bc his kids like to hear them and you think people are coyote cuddlers? Besides you get paid to kill them so of course you would ramble on about how dangerous they are and how they are killing all the fawns in Texas. At the rate you're going we'll be seeing you on the ban list soon.

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: aggiehunter03] #3674152 10/19/12 02:02 PM
P
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
What you think don? You had a animal killed and it hurt your bottom line? Go you think if you had a pasture full of grass hoppers they would have left your ibex alone? They eat meat! Lots of meat. You find one right off a fresh kill and he will stop by and ck out the lure or bait in your trap or come to a call. I bet none of you realize that a male will feed the pups as well as the female. He will eat ti he bust and go back to the den and puke it up for them. Yes they eat different stuff but their main diet is whitetail deer. And as far as not a hard skill to master, you better lace up your boots boys. 700 coyotes a year ain't no accident. My first post was this happens more than you realize and the crap started flying!!! Y'all keep trying to put reason to it, I'm gonna keep killing.

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: predator-solutions] #3674172 10/19/12 02:09 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I'm not sure there's a single person that has posted on this thread that doesn't kill coyotes.

I'm not sure you're grasping that point.

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: cameron00] #3674209 10/19/12 02:22 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
op·por·tun·ist (pr-tnst, -ty-)
n.
One who takes advantage of any opportunity to achieve an end, often with no regard for principles or consequences.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coyote^^^

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: Navasot] #3674258 10/19/12 02:40 PM
C
ch1966 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Here's an interesting read:Food Habits of Coyotes in an Area of High Fawn Mortality

And just for kicks, here's a video I shot of a doe intercepting a yote coming to my call.
Obviously the coyote was interested in a distressed animal, but had no desire to mess with a healthy doe one-on-one.

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: ch1966] #3674327 10/19/12 03:11 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
predator-solutions, for a guy that says he got on the forum to make a few friends, you sure do run your mouth a lot. Obviously in your mind you believe you're the only one on this forum that goes hunting, everyone else just acts like they hunt I suppose. I'm sure you're good at your job if you have killed 700 a year, but if I was able to chase yotes all day I'd be pretty good too. Lase up your boots and come do what I do everyday, don't be scared of heights, I'm posting this from on top of a 400ft ladder. I can assure you, you can't keep up, but this is what I do everyday, just like you trap everyday.

I'm gonna say it again, VERY FEW PEOPLE On this thread said the wouldn't kill every yote they can or that yotes don't kill deer.

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: ch1966] #3674331 10/19/12 03:14 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I know I've got a **** ton of coyotes in Melrose. We have an older doe herd, they mean business when yotes are out on the fields. They like eating moles it would seem bc they do more damage digging them up on the hay fields than hogs do at times.

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: rifleman] #3674535 10/19/12 04:36 PM
P
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Run my mouth? I been called every thing except a white man on here. Told I was stupid on other post and thrown off the bus. I did get a little excited when people don't believe what I see everyday but you have no idea what I put up with. I deal with anti-hunters and trappers daily. I took cussing from women at the fuel pump for having dead coyotes in my truck. I deal with lease members stealing equipment. The ATF records I have to keep are a headache. I deal with folks telling me they don't have a problem till there poodle is snatched off the bottom step right in front of them. I made one post about this happens all the time and then it starts. "I don't happen cause a coyote never foes this or that"! Bs! I'm never said I was the best but I'm dang sure not wrong! When someone calls about problems it's really hard to listen to and it really pisses me off when coyotes start killing livestock or fawns. I didn't start this on a whim, I come from a long time of trapping and working with biologist. I never ran down anyone's jobs or started no fights. I state the facts of what I see. Now when someone is giving bad advice I usually speak up. A guy while back wanted to no bout coyote control. All these guys start giving him advice a out how to kill every deer the man has and loose his hunting lease. You bet I spoke up. I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. The only way we keep traps in our hands is by being responsible. The only way we keep the freedom to kill a coyote is because of the damage he causes. They are not fun or a vacation to me. They are a job. I do it the best I can and to the best of my knowledge. Coyote control and trapping is 2 different animals. While everyone is on the lake, I'm after a coyote from march till August. I take sept and oct off. 6 mo of 7 day a week 14-15 hrs a day of my life is devoted to protecting other people's property and livestock. No fur money, just work. I really think in the 13yrs that I have devoted to protecting other folks stuff so they can have a trophy animal to shoot is no joke.

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: predator-solutions] #3674550 10/19/12 04:40 PM
BuckRage Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Run my mouth?

Now 8point you can stick it up your A22! You arm chair warriors dont have a clue about the real world

Ranchman you don't no sh!t.

You been fooled by the other coyote cuddlers on here.

The truth is you are turning a opinion off some biologist or another educated nutt ball that wouldn't no a coyote kill from a road kill.

yep

Last edited by BuckRage; 10/19/12 08:17 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: predator-solutions] #3674619 10/19/12 05:10 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Run my mouth? I been called every thing except a white man on here. Told I was stupid on other post and thrown off the bus. I did get a little excited when people don't believe what I see everyday but you have no idea what I put up with. I deal with anti-hunters and trappers daily. I took cussing from women at the fuel pump for having dead coyotes in my truck. I deal with lease members stealing equipment. The ATF records I have to keep are a headache. I deal with folks telling me they don't have a problem till there poodle is snatched off the bottom step right in front of them. I made one post about this happens all the time and then it starts. "I don't happen cause a coyote never foes this or that"! Bs! I'm never said I was the best but I'm dang sure not wrong! When someone calls about problems it's really hard to listen to and it really pisses me off when coyotes start killing livestock or fawns. I didn't start this on a whim, I come from a long time of trapping and working with biologist. I never ran down anyone's jobs or started no fights. I state the facts of what I see. Now when someone is giving bad advice I usually speak up. A guy while back wanted to no bout coyote control. All these guys start giving him advice a out how to kill every deer the man has and loose his hunting lease. You bet I spoke up. I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. The only way we keep traps in our hands is by being responsible. The only way we keep the freedom to kill a coyote is because of the damage he causes. They are not fun or a vacation to me. They are a job. I do it the best I can and to the best of my knowledge. Coyote control and trapping is 2 different animals. While everyone is on the lake, I'm after a coyote from march till August. I take sept and oct off. 6 mo of 7 day a week 14-15 hrs a day of my life is devoted to protecting other people's property and livestock. No fur money, just work. I really think in the 13yrs that I have devoted to protecting other folks stuff so they can have a trophy animal to shoot is no joke.
PS I don't know why, but I'm starting to like you. You get alittle worked up and I don't always agree with how you vent your frustration, but you defiantly stand up for yourself. up cheers

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: BuckRage] #3674625 10/19/12 05:15 PM
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I don't think you can group all coyotes or all of how they hunt into one category. How they hunt here and what their main diet is completly different than it is in say South Texas. Down there their main diet is rat and rabbit. Here we don't have very many rats and few rabbits so they have to depend on coon, opposum, feral cats and then livestock and deer. A few years ago I bought some corsican and black sheep from a friend who has a ranch not to far from Encinal. I could not believe he could raise sheep down in the brush country. He had them in about a 20 acre trap with regular sheep and goat wire. Did not have any problems because the coyotes had plenty of other things to eat. I don't think they actually pick out of a herd what animal they go after. I think they go after the one that gives them the best opertunity. I think as for them killing fawns it is the fawn that gives them the opertunity. I am sure you have all seen a doe and fawn together. Scare them and usually the fawn goes in one direction and the doe in another. Very seldom until they are a little older will the fawn follow the doe. Also when the fawn is first born it will stay still and hide. But give it a couple of weeks and it will run. If it stayed still most likely it would not be found. These are my opinions and I am going to stick with them so I can be full of Sh*t like the Ranchman.

Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: predator-solutions] #3674631 10/19/12 05:18 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Your a little over the top. Yes coyotes kill deer, livestock, and pets, nobody is denying that at all!

You have observations, that is great, im sure you know more about coyotes than me, but if they killed like you said they do our ranch would have no deer left, yet the population grows every year. You make them sound the same as the pig bomb show folks make hogs sound, yeah they are predators, but its not like they are gonna steal you kid out of the crib if you dont have a burglar alarm and lock the dead bolt.

Take a chill pill.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Coyotes Take Down Healthy 6 pt Buck [Re: 8pointdrop] #3674633 10/19/12 05:19 PM
P
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Like I said, you pull up to a store with 12-13 dead coyotes and some coyote cuddler is praying for there dead souls and then turns to cussing you for killing there stinking a$$. Are you gonna apologize? I'm sorry for killing them I won't ever do it again!! Lol or tell them they need to take a asprin and wake up the real world? I stopped apologizing way back for killing them. Cause if you do your no better than the coyote you killed.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide