Print Thread
Splicing Poly Hose for Water #3541948 09/04/12 11:25 PM
C
crease_flounder Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
I've got a couple of water troughs that run off of 3/4" poly hose hooked to a spigot at our well house and I'm having trouble with one of the lines. The line in question is about 1000-1200 feet and, since I couldn't find any single piece that long, I've used several pieces and spliced them together using the plastic splices from Tractor Supply and Plumbers Goo. This works for a while, but I've had the splices come apart a few times recently and it wastes a lot of water. To add to the fun, the line runs along the side of a hill from the well at the top with about a 50' total drop, so water pressure is also an issue. Does anyone know a good way to permanently splice these lines so that the pressure and/or animals can't pull the ends apart? Thanks!

Re: Splicing Poly Hose for Water [Re: crease_flounder] #3541975 09/04/12 11:35 PM
L
LittleD Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Assuming that your plastic splices are the barb type fittings take a couple of worm gear clamps/hose clamps and put a couple on each side and that should do you.

Danny
Re: Splicing Poly Hose for Water [Re: LittleD] #3541979 09/04/12 11:37 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: LittleD
Assuming that your plastic splices are the barb type fittings take a couple of worm gear clamps/hose clamps and put a couple on each side and that should do you.
That's what we've done. Never had a problem with the lines coming apart after 13 years.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Splicing Poly Hose for Water [Re: crease_flounder] #3541982 09/04/12 11:37 PM
S
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I have over 1000 of poly line like you have going to my 2 troughs

The supply place sold me the gray barbed connectors and stainless steel worm clamps
They are a little difficult to push up on the barbs but they make a tight fit
Add the clamps and the don't leak and you have to cut them off to pull them apart

The only easy day was yesterday

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Re: Splicing Poly Hose for Water [Re: Sparky45] #3542041 09/05/12 12:02 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Go to a Lowes and get the metal barbed connectors, they are 10x better, then double clamp each side. One thing to know, in the winter with the lines running on top of the ground the poly pipe shrinks up with the cold weather, it will shrink up alot, so try to have several feet extra slack in the line.

Re: Splicing Poly Hose for Water [Re: grout-scout] #3542141 09/05/12 12:30 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Go to a Lowes and get the metal barbed connectors, they are 10x better, then double clamp each side. One thing to know, in the winter with the lines running on top of the ground the poly pipe shrinks up with the cold weather, it will shrink up alot, so try to have several feet extra slack in the line.

This the key is slack for cold to hot changes in temps. Has anyone every spliced them with the hotplate that welds the poly pipe together? I have used it on the larger 2" and larger poly but never on the smaller stuff.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Splicing Poly Hose for Water [Re: stxranchman] #3542413 09/05/12 01:37 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

This the key is slack for cold to hot changes in temps. Has anyone every spliced them with the hotplate that welds the poly pipe together? I have used it on the larger 2" and larger poly but never on the smaller stuff.

Never seen what your talking about but I've never been to a professional shop that sells the stuff either.

Good thing about poly for those that don't know is it is a tough son of a gun when it freezes (provided there is slack), we've had ours freeze at around 17 deg F for 3 days and it never broke. The pvc pipe was a whole different story, that crud was broken everywheres.

Re: Splicing Poly Hose for Water [Re: grout-scout] #3542658 09/05/12 02:29 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Never seen what your talking about but I've never been to a professional shop that sells the stuff either.

Good thing about poly for those that don't know is it is a tough son of a gun when it freezes (provided there is slack), we've had ours freeze at around 17 deg F for 3 days and it never broke. The pvc pipe was a whole different story, that crud was broken everywheres.

I know that Uvalco will lease the "heat paddle" to use and the splicing clamp. It is pretty darn neat to watch them prep the pipe, then heat it, then splice/weld the two pieces together on the larger pipe. It will not pull apart if done right and a leave a bit of slack.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Splicing Poly Hose for Water [Re: stxranchman] #3542890 09/05/12 03:21 AM
A
aoudadhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
The pipe welder works well and make sure you have plenty of slack! Unions also work very well

Bar B Diamond Outfitters
www.barbdiamondoutfitter.com
Specializing in Free-Range Aoudad Sheep Hunting.
Also offering Muledeer, Whitetail, Exotics, Predator and Wingshooting Adventures!!!!
Re: Splicing Poly Hose for Water [Re: aoudadhunter] #3543041 09/05/12 04:06 AM
E
Enter Standman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
What are you calling Polyline? Is it tubing (measured by OD) or is it hose (measured ID). When I call out poly, it is almost always tubing, and if thats the case you can buy brass compression unions pretty cheap to splice the lines. If its hose, then you will need brass hose menders and clamps.

Re: Splicing Poly Hose for Water [Re: aoudadhunter] #3543259 09/05/12 10:31 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: aoudadhunter
The pipe welder works well and make sure you have plenty of slack! Unions also work very well

We've got over 120 miles of polyline run on the front of the ranch with all the wells going to batterys and we weld all splices, this is 3 inch lines and we've never had a leak at a splice.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide