Page 1 of 2 1 2
What is with half breed status on AR 15s? #348836 04/18/08 09:51 AM
R
Roger Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
I see lots of posts that state "No parts guns" or "No half breeds" What is the stigma associated with a gun that is an upper mated to a lower that were not purchased as a complete outfit. ...or one that someone put together over time. Please enlightment my ingnorance of this black rifle quandry?

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: Roger] #348837 04/18/08 11:45 AM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I think that a lot of folks are concerned about any warranty issues with a rifle. If you by a factory built complete black rifle from one of the leading companies they will back it up if there happens to be a problem. They also have more control of the quality of the parts that go into it.
For a casual shooter like myself it may not be such a big deal but for a SHTF rifle that you are staking your life on, reliability is a big issue.

Just my 2c.

MC

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: MikeC] #348838 04/18/08 01:00 PM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
IMOHO THIS IS JUST AN ISSUE WITH FOLKS WHO DONT UNDERSTAND ARs. AR15s ARE MODULAR GUNS, AND THAT IS ONE OF MANY WONDERFUL THINGS ABOUT THIS GUN. SHORT OF THE LARGE TRIGGER PIN AND LARGE UPPER RECIEVER PINS ON COLT ARs EVERY THING IS EXCHANGABLE. YOU CAN CHANGE OUT THE TRIGGER WITH A MATCH STICK IF YOU KNOW WHAT U ARE DOING. A SPANNER WRENCH SOME DRIFT PINS A BRASS/PLASTIC HEADED HAMMER AND PLASTIC VISE TOOLS FOR HOLDING THE UPPER REC. TO INSTALL A BARREL, ALLEN WRENCH AND SCREWDRIVER YOU CAN BUILD AN ENTIRE RIFLE. THIS IS ALSO WHY MOST GUNSMITHS ARE NOT BIG AR FANS, MOST REGULARS FOLKS LIKE ME CAN BUILD, REPAIR (VERU VERY RAIRLY HAPPENS) OR CUSTOMIZE THE GUN THEMSELVES.
ONCE AGAIN THIS IS JMOHO.

When you need a Piano moved there is always someone around to help you with the stool!
Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: OFBHWG] #348839 04/18/08 01:24 PM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I agree with the above statements. Some people don't have the same faith in individuals as they do big companies to build them correctly and that is why you see.

It is very easy to build them and make them just how you want piece by piece and it will save you some $$.

These guns are like tinker toys and I don't know anyone that has bought one and left it like it was when they bought it... most end up spending more to add new things to get it just like they like.

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: Greg] #348840 04/18/08 03:40 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
All above are good points. With a large part of our business being law enforcement officers and departments, we can't give away the parts guns. Liability reasons both for the officers safety issues, range safety, and actual use issues. Same reasons departments don't allow handloads or reloads. Most departments won't even allow reloads on the premises, let alone in use.

It's sad, but liability concerns are HUGE in the firearms business, and in law enforcement.

If we get sued over a gun, I want Smith and Wesson, Remington, or Colt on the hook with us, not "Bob Smith from down the road".

Same rationale is applied to trigger work. While we do some trigger adjustments, there are limits that we place on the work we do. Like minimum trigger pulls...

Years ago, it was common to disconnect magazine disconnects in Smith semi-autos, or the grip safeties in 1911 style guns, but there are few if any real gunsmiths that would tackle that today...

As far as making a hunting/varmint rifle, doing it yourself, enjoying and learning the process, and having it just like you want it, sounds great.

I am concerned about people that buy the components and routinely sell the finished product. I think there are liability issues there, as well as legal issues.

All that said, I will stand with anyone and defend our rights as individuals to build one!

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #348841 04/18/08 05:22 PM
R
Roger Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
I am considering my first AR. I intially dismissed them as something that weirdos bought, Having become more and more weird myself, I now think different and understand their place. The answer to this question is just part of the learning process for me. Thanks for the input and it is well taken. I guess for my needs as just a fun rifle to shoot, any route with quality parts will work. Correct me if that is wrong thinking. ...and if we get invaded, or SHTF then anything that I can get ahold of, will chamber a round, and go bang will be used. AR or not. The old lever gun will have to do!

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: Roger] #348842 04/18/08 06:55 PM
duck & cover
duck & cover
They are a ton of fun. I understand totally the dilemma. I just had to purchase three new computers for the business. I ordered one "brand name" with warranty, one brand new laptop, and one parts kit that I am building my self....

I can't afford to have problems on the main computer, and I sure don't know enough to build a laptop, and the last one I want the knowledge and satisfaction of building it myself....from components!

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #348843 04/19/08 09:53 AM
B
beech96w Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Quote:

I am concerned about people that buy the components and routinely sell the finished product. I think there are liability issues there, as well as legal issues.

Like USA vs David R. Olofson . What a mess.

Not all AR15s are created equal. The quality of a lot of the discount parts are not the same. The design of the rifle is modular, but not ever manufacturer held up to the original standards.

Colt has been, and still is real bad about deviating from original spec. Fortunately for them, they're the big dog, and everyone accomodates their pin sizes.

If I was looking at two AR15s on a table, I would always pick the factory Eagl/Armalite/Bushmaster/Colt/RRA over the identically configured homebuilt with Model 1 parts. Even for more $.

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: beech96w] #348844 04/19/08 12:42 PM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
If I was looking at two AR15s on a table, I would always pick the factory Eagl/Armalite/Bushmaster/Colt/RRA over the identically configured homebuilt with Model 1 parts. Even for more $.

WHY??????

I PERSONALL KNOW OF ONE POLICE DEPT. THAT HAS AN OFFICER THAT WORKS ON AND MODIFIES ALOT OF IF NOT ALL OF THE DEPT. RIFLES.

AS FAR AS LIABILITIES FOR THE GUN SHOP OWNER THE FOLKS WHO CHOOSE TO SELL INDIVIDUAL PARTS ie MODEL 1 OR THE DOZENS OF OTHERS HAVE THE SAME LIABILITIES.

IF YOU WILL CHECK THE MAJOR GUN MAKERS S&W REM, THEY DONT EVEN MANUFACTURE ALL OF THEIR OWN AR PARTS.

THE LIABILITY ISSUE IS ONE THAT CAN ALWAYS BE TURNED IN A DISCUSSION TO SUPPORT WHATEVER SIDE YOU CHOOSE.

Last edited by OFBHWG; 04/19/08 01:06 PM.
Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: OFBHWG] #348845 04/19/08 01:21 PM
duck & cover
duck & cover
Quote:

WHY??????

I PERSONALL KNOW OF ONE POLICE DEPT. THAT HAS AN OFFICER THAT WORKS ON AND MODIFIES ALOT OF IF NOT ALL OF THE DEPT. RIFLES.

AS FAR AS LIABILITIES FOR THE GUN SHOP OWNER THE FOLKS WHO CHOOSE TO SELL INDIVIDUAL PARTS ie MODEL 1 OR THE DOZENS OF OTHERS HAVE THE SAME LIABILITIES.

IF YOU WILL CHECK THE MAJOR GUN MAKERS S&W REM, THEY DONT EVEN MANUFACTURE ALL OF THEIR OWN AR PARTS.

THE LIABILITY ISSUE IS ONE THAT CAN ALWAYS BE TURNED IN A DISCUSSION TO SUPPORT WHATEVER SIDE YOU CHOOSE.

Probably right about supporting what you choose, or people wouldn't choose it...

Just for discussion sakes, not being a jerk...
I don't know the inside dealings of your business, but I knowing basically what it is that you do, surely there are rules that you have for your guys in the field, based on liability issues?

That's all I was stating.

As for departments that have an armorer who does their work, sure, a lot do, but they are usually factory trained and certified (that's how I got started). Most that I deal with wouldn't allow someone to work on stuff without the training and certifications, and won't allow just any gun. Most departments bigger than 5 guys have guidelines that state what guns can be carried and by who. In the AR realm, I don't know of any that allow parts guns. BY parts guns I mean ones that aren't backed by a major company. I know that nearly everyone outsources parts of guns, but when it comes down to it, it's going to be Colt, Bushmaster, Smith and Wesson, Rock River, etc. that have the battle (and the deep pockets), not Troy Industries or AMT (both major subcontractors on gun parts), that fight the battles in court.

Personally, I don't even consider Remington, DPMS, Armalite, and Eagle to be front-line suppliers for AR's as of right now. But that's just me.

We all have liability issues in our daily lives, and have to decide where and how to deal with them. Most of the parts companies do it by not selling receivers(serialized parts). They are going to stand in court and say (we sell accessories, not guns). I choose to do it with insurance, staying in touch with industry publications and trends, and using good practices here.

I could make more money selling some items that I choose not too, cheap guns(Jennings/Bryco/Sundance/Raven/etc), reloaded ammo, and even junk optics, but we choose not to, with liability issues being one of the reasons.

Interesting discussion for sure. I hope I never need a wrecker, but I have a customer's card in the shop and an entry in my cell in case I do!

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #348846 04/20/08 02:16 AM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
Personally, I don't even consider Remington, DPMS, Armalite, and Eagle to be front-line suppliers for AR's as of right now. But that's just me.
WHO IS FRONT LINE THEN????

IT HAS JUST BEEN MY EXPERIENCE (AND THAT IS ALL IM SAYING ITS JUST MY EXPERIENCE) THAT ALOT OF GUNSMITHS,FFL DEALERS ETC. ALWAYS SEEM TO DISCOURAGE BUYING AR PARTS AND THE COMMON GUY BUILDING HIS OWN RIFLE. THEY DONT SEEM TO DO IT IN A DIRECT WAY JUST WITH INUENDOS sp AND BRINGING UP THE WARRENTY ISSUE. THE AR15 IS NOT YOUR TYPICAL RIFLE. IT DOES NOT REQUIRE THE SPECIALIZED TOOLS AND EXPERIENCE THAT SAY A BOLT ACTION OR SEMI AUTO SHOTGUN ETC. AND DOES NOT LEND ITSELF TO TYPICAL FIREARMS INDUSTRY ie GUNSMITHS ETC.

I HAVE 4 ARS THAT I BUILT FROM SCRATCH. 2 OF WHICH HAVE OVER 1000 ROUNDS DOWN THE TUBE WITHOUT A SINGLE MALFUNCTION. THE OTHER 2 I HAVE NOT SHOT ENOUGH TO SAY ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. THE FIRST 2 HAVE PARTS FROM AT LEAST 8 DIFFERENT SUPPLIERS.

WE ALL HAVE OUR OWN OPINIONS I AM ONLY TRYING TO DEFEND THE QUALITY THAT I HAVE EXPERIENCED BUILDING MY OWN RIFLES USING VARIOUS DIFFERENT PARTS.

WE ALL HAVE TO RUN OUR BUSINESSES AS WE BELIVE WE NEED TO. BUT FOR ME TO IMPLY THAT ANY OF YOU COULD NOT GO OUT AND BUY A WRECKER AND HAUL YOUR OWN CARS WOULD BE SILLY ITS NOT THAT HARD TO DO AND MOST FOLKS COULD DO IT. I DONT SUGGEST IT, BUT YOU WILL NOT GET A MORE QUALITY TOW FROM ME OR ANYONE ELSE IF YOU CHOOSE US OVER YOURSELF.

(WELL I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY CONFUSED MY SELF NOW SO I AM GOING TO BED. SEE YALL TOMORROW.

When you need a Piano moved there is always someone around to help you with the stool!
Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: OFBHWG] #348847 04/21/08 12:22 AM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I think in the realm of average folks-not law enforcement, etc-the issue is that people don't know what's good or bad as far as parts go, so they stick with the big names. If you're building one, you're probably searching for the better parts to put in your rifle anyway-we all want the best we can afford! ALTHOUGH, you can slap together an AR-15 from mediocre parts and have a real fine shooter that will be very reliable for most anything the average joe will want to do.

Keith is right-a kit gun can be every bit as good, and sometimes WAY better than a factory gun! Will it sell for big bucks at the gun show? Probably not. Most people barely know enough about their AR's to clean them, let alone want the hassles of knowing which parts are good and which aren't.

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: OFBHWG] #348848 04/21/08 02:19 PM
duck & cover
duck & cover
Quote:

WHO IS FRONT LINE THEN????

IT HAS JUST BEEN MY EXPERIENCE (AND THAT IS ALL IM SAYING ITS JUST MY EXPERIENCE) THAT ALOT OF GUNSMITHS,FFL DEALERS ETC. ALWAYS SEEM TO DISCOURAGE BUYING AR PARTS AND THE COMMON GUY BUILDING HIS OWN RIFLE. THEY DONT SEEM TO DO IT IN A DIRECT WAY JUST WITH INUENDOS sp AND BRINGING UP THE WARRENTY ISSUE. THE AR15 IS NOT YOUR TYPICAL RIFLE. IT DOES NOT REQUIRE THE SPECIALIZED TOOLS AND EXPERIENCE THAT SAY A BOLT ACTION OR SEMI AUTO SHOTGUN ETC. AND DOES NOT LEND ITSELF TO TYPICAL FIREARMS INDUSTRY ie GUNSMITHS ETC.

I HAVE 4 ARS THAT I BUILT FROM SCRATCH. 2 OF WHICH HAVE OVER 1000 ROUNDS DOWN THE TUBE WITHOUT A SINGLE MALFUNCTION. THE OTHER 2 I HAVE NOT SHOT ENOUGH TO SAY ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. THE FIRST 2 HAVE PARTS FROM AT LEAST 8 DIFFERENT SUPPLIERS.

WE ALL HAVE OUR OWN OPINIONS I AM ONLY TRYING TO DEFEND THE QUALITY THAT I HAVE EXPERIENCED BUILDING MY OWN RIFLES USING VARIOUS DIFFERENT PARTS.

WE ALL HAVE TO RUN OUR BUSINESSES AS WE BELIVE WE NEED TO. BUT FOR ME TO IMPLY THAT ANY OF YOU COULD NOT GO OUT AND BUY A WRECKER AND HAUL YOUR OWN CARS WOULD BE SILLY ITS NOT THAT HARD TO DO AND MOST FOLKS COULD DO IT. I DONT SUGGEST IT, BUT YOU WILL NOT GET A MORE QUALITY TOW FROM ME OR ANYONE ELSE IF YOU CHOOSE US OVER YOURSELF.

(WELL I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY CONFUSED MY SELF NOW SO I AM GOING TO BED. SEE YALL TOMORROW.

Front line...Colt, HK, FN, Bushmaster, maybe Rock River and Smith and Wesson. Here's why, they all have won major contracts with government agencies that have done a lot more testing than I can afford to do. I can't do that much testing, and have to rely on that data

I am not saying anything about someone building their own, or about their quality. In fact, I said I would defend your right to do so. I know that tighter-built tighter tolerance guns are going to be more accurate, at the cost of reliability. I know that I would trade the other way, reliability for accuracy...but again, that's my opinion.

Do I think that the average Joe can build one as good as the major companies....no. We'll have to agree to disagree.

I was just stating my opinion as well.

I do think that you would do a better job towing my truck than I would, even if I had the same equipment. I'd think you would have training and experience on your side. I'll call you for that!

Surely if someone called and said, "My Lexus is broke down on 75, can you come get me or is it ok to let Bubba pull it with a chain?", you'd advise against using the chain on the Lexus.

I am happy to sell parts to customers. Usually we can offer a good price with the volume that we generate. Do I promote most people building their own over buying a complete rifle from a major manufacturer, no. Like I mentioned somewhere, it's like computers, can you build your own? Yes. Can I, Maybe. Do I trust mine as much as Dell's? No.

Last edited by sig226fan; 04/21/08 02:33 PM.
Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #348849 04/21/08 08:28 PM
P
psg1954 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Build your own.

It's almost always less expensive, you can modify it exactly how you want, you learn more about the gun, and it's fun.

I'm currently building a 6.5 Grendel AR upper and I'll save hundreds doing it this way. You just need to be smart on where to save money, you always get what you pay for.

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #348850 04/24/08 01:38 PM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
WHAT SPECIFIC TOLERENCES ARE YOU SPEAKING OF THAT ARE TIGHTER WITH COLT etc. YOUR STATMENT SEEMS TO BE VERY GENERAL ABOUT TOLERANCES.
IF YOU BELIVE THAT JUST BECAUSE A CO HAS A GOVERNMENT CONTRACT THAT THEY MANUF QUALITY ITEMS YOU SHOULD TALK TO SOME OF MY FRIENDS THAT HAD TO USE THE POS M16s THAT FIRST CAME OUT IN VIETNAM, THEIR OPINION OF THOSE IS THAT THEY WOULD MAKE GOOD BOAT OARS. GOVERNMENT MILITARY PURCHASING IS JUST AS BAD AND CORRUPT AS ANY OTHER, BEING MILITARY LENDS IT NO ADDITION QUALITY, IF YOU THINK THAT THE MILITARY ONLY PROVIDES THE BEST FOR OUR SOLDIERS THEN YOU NEED TO TALK TO THE GUYS IN IRAQ WHO SPEND THEIR OWN MONEY ARMORPLATING THEIR HUMVEES.

ALL IM ASKING FOR IS SPECIFICS ie STUDYS OR ACTUAL COMPARISONS WITH FAILURE RATES OR COMPARISON CHART THAT SHOWS THOSE MANUFACTURING COs SPECS VS OFF THE SHELF FOR GUYS LIKE ME.

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND YOUR CHOICE TO SELL THOSE TYPES OF RIFLES. WHAT I DONT UNDERSTAND IS YOUR STATEMENT THAT THEY ARE BETTER QUALITY WITH NO ACTUAL FACTS TO BACK UP THAT STATMENT.
ONCE AGAIN THIS IS JUST MOHO.

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: OFBHWG] #348851 04/24/08 03:22 PM
duck & cover
duck & cover
Quote:

WHAT SPECIFIC TOLERENCES ARE YOU SPEAKING OF THAT ARE TIGHTER WITH COLT etc. YOUR STATMENT SEEMS TO BE VERY GENERAL ABOUT TOLERANCES.
IF YOU BELIVE THAT JUST BECAUSE A CO HAS A GOVERNMENT CONTRACT THAT THEY MANUF QUALITY ITEMS YOU SHOULD TALK TO SOME OF MY FRIENDS THAT HAD TO USE THE POS M16s THAT FIRST CAME OUT IN VIETNAM, THEIR OPINION OF THOSE IS THAT THEY WOULD MAKE GOOD BOAT OARS. GOVERNMENT MILITARY PURCHASING IS JUST AS BAD AND CORRUPT AS ANY OTHER, BEING MILITARY LENDS IT NO ADDITION QUALITY, IF YOU THINK THAT THE MILITARY ONLY PROVIDES THE BEST FOR OUR SOLDIERS THEN YOU NEED TO TALK TO THE GUYS IN IRAQ WHO SPEND THEIR OWN MONEY ARMORPLATING THEIR HUMVEES.

ALL IM ASKING FOR IS SPECIFICS ie STUDYS OR ACTUAL COMPARISONS WITH FAILURE RATES OR COMPARISON CHART THAT SHOWS THOSE MANUFACTURING COs SPECS VS OFF THE SHELF FOR GUYS LIKE ME.

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND YOUR CHOICE TO SELL THOSE TYPES OF RIFLES. WHAT I DONT UNDERSTAND IS YOUR STATEMENT THAT THEY ARE BETTER QUALITY WITH NO ACTUAL FACTS TO BACK UP THAT STATMENT.
ONCE AGAIN THIS IS JUST MOHO.

Me too on the opinion thing...

I'll try to clarify...I think we are closer than it appears...

Any gun, the tighter things fit, the more accurate it will be....and likewise, the less reliable. Competition grade guns will be closer tolerances than sporting or combat guns.

I never meant to imply that the ones I mentioned were tighter, nor more accurate. I do not have the time or money to do scientific testing that would be required to show that. I have read and heard and learned and handled hundreds or more of them in 22 years in business and that's where I am coming from.

A competition grade AR, or a 45, whatever, will be tighter and more failure prone than a duty gun or carry gun, or atleast it should.

I don't have any idea what your MRBF is, never implied that I did.

I know there are testing programs for everything that the military and major law enforcement agencies acquire. I have seen some of their data, but I don't have it readily available. So if that's what you're looking for I am out. But I'd be willing to be you don't have the same data for personally built guns either."

What I am stating is opinion, based on 22 years of being in the gun business, being a certified armorer for several companies, and having an AR or M16 rifle since 1984....

Now for Vietnam, there are VOLUMES of data and reports on that. I have read several. I have written one after doing extensive research (American Historian, 1988; East Texas State University Register, 1988; I have a copy around here somewhere). (note: While my Bachelor's degree is in mathematics, my college required a double major of Honor's program students, as opposed to a major/minor; and my second major was in History, with an emphasis in military history, hence the research and publication that was necessary in that endeavor).

The guns being built today while kin to the old M16's, are vastly improved. Several reasons for the early failures included poor or no training with that weapon; poor cleaning and maintenance; inadequate repair facilities and knowledge; improper powder (powder used was changed after the adoption of the weapon); and poor manufacturing processes and quality control. We just have learned so much about the weapons since their rushed introduction by the air force, and later the army, lastly the marines.

Several other military weapons rushed into service without proper training and doctrine changes were also early failures. The early M-14's had heat and stoppage issues; Early B-17's lacked protective firepower; early P-51 Mustangs lacked endurance....Early M-9 Beretta's had slide failures (ammo issues, primarily using +p carbine ammo in handguns) I could go on and on...great topics all. All of those devices became a lot better as time progressed. Just like the M4's of today.

I guess I could ask the same of you, show me the data where your off the shelf guns are as good as major manufactured guns? It's a great topic, but probably not able to be settled without great testing and expenses.

I do know that it is quite common for major law enforcement agencies to conduct testing, and lesser agencies have to rely on that data and results in purchasing their weapons, or selecting what weapons to be allowed.

I also know that the "deep pockets" theory is very prevalent. Only buying from and using products of manufacturers with deep pockets...for that eventual lawsuit.

I never intended to say that your firearms you built are inferior to others. I did say that in my opinion the average guy can't build one as good as COLT, BUSHMASTER, et al. I don't think I can, and I have worked on a bunch of them over the years. I guess that makes you above average

I have to base business decisions on what works and has worked for us. I try to use all the knowledge and experience I have to make the best decisions. I always wish I had more knowledge and experiences on which to base those decisions.

I have enjoyed our discussion. Maybe it will convince me to stock more AR components....

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #348852 04/24/08 04:06 PM
R
Roger Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
I have had harleys....
So I guess it is kinda like those. I can build one and it run okay and constantly have to bend to fit, paint to match, and redo, and so on and so forth. OR.... I can by one off the shelf and start it and just go...

So If I want to build one and delve into how they work and what is better than this or that and tweak and fiddle with, then build it, right? Or if all I want to do is pull the trigger, load magazines and maybe clean it once in a while, then buy one off the shelf...
Thanks, a bunch for all the debate, really, I wanted to know, and I feel like I learn just a little bit all the time. Your discussions brought to light issues I had not even considered. I think a responsible consumer considers the source as much as the information.

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: Roger] #348853 04/24/08 04:21 PM
duck & cover
duck & cover
Quote:

I have had harleys....
So I guess it is kinda like those. I can build one and it run okay and constantly have to bend to fit, paint to match, and redo, and so on and so forth. OR.... I can by one off the shelf and start it and just go...

So If I want to build one and delve into how they work and what is better than this or that and tweak and fiddle with, then build it, right? Or if all I want to do is pull the trigger, load magazines and maybe clean it once in a while, then buy one off the shelf...
Thanks, a bunch for all the debate, really, I wanted to know, and I feel like I learn just a little bit all the time. Your discussions brought to light issues I had not even considered. I think a responsible consumer considers the source as much as the information.

There you go. I like that analogy too, no doubt you could build your own motorcycle, but it wouldn't be a Hawg now would it.

Same with computers....someone that knows what they are doing, or has time to learn from trial and error, can probably build a big super machine,...cheaper and better than Dell or HP. LIke I said, I am doing some of both worlds right now, building a new one, redoing an old one, and I bought two new ones, ready to roll.

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #348854 04/24/08 05:20 PM
P
psg1954 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
I bought my first AR and am now building my third. The benefit of doing it yourself is instead of buying a complete rifle and then spending more money getting it exactly how you want, you can customize it from the get go and save money.

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: Roger] #348855 04/24/08 10:12 PM
C
Cruz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
It might depend on just how it was put together. A lot more folk IMO simply slap a complete lower and complete upper and call that a rifle that they build. Whereas others put them together piece by piece.

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: Cruz] #348856 04/25/08 02:05 AM
duck & cover
duck & cover
That's true. Various definitions of build there. I think it's great that some people can and do build their own. I don't know that everyone should, or even could, build their own from scratch though.

Many people would be surprised to know how many of guns and or parts of guns are made by a subcontractor...shotgun barrel's and magazines come to mind the most.

And how often that changes during the process. Many times there could be different subcontractors, or as a new line evolves maybe the parent company incorporates more and more of the process. Outsourcing early could be a hedge against failure of the product line too.

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #348857 04/25/08 02:17 AM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
IVE ENJOYED IT ALSO. THANKS FOR BEING ABLE TO HAVE A DIFFERENCE OF OPINION WITHOUT TAKING IT PERSONAL. THAT SEEMS REALLY HARD TO DO AROUNG HERE.

NEW QUESTION I WANT TO PUT A COMPENSATOR ON MY ENCORE PRO HUNTER 30-06. 2 MANY YEARS THROWING A BASEBALL FOR BATTING PRACTICW AND HITTING INFIELD PRACTICE HAS MY SHOULDERS BEING ALOT LIKE A PAN OF MEATLOAF. ANY SUGGESTIONS AND CAN YOU DO IT. IVE LOOKED AT THE JPs LIKE I HAVE ON MY AR BUT NEED SOMEONE ELSES INPUT. I NEED TO GET ALOT BETTER WITH THIS RIFLE AND I CANT DO IT 6 OR 7 SHOTS AN OUTING.

Last edited by OFBHWG; 04/25/08 02:38 AM.

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: Roger] #348858 04/25/08 02:19 AM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
ROGER I LIVE IN MCKINNEY ALSO AND HAVE A COUPLE OF DVDs THAT WALK U THROUGH THE PROCESS IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE THEM. PM ME IM IN TOWN ALL DAY. ITS A GOOD PLACE TO START.

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: psg1954] #348859 04/25/08 02:22 AM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
I PERSONALLY HAVE NOT FOUND IT TO BE THAT MUCH CHEEPER TO BUILD IT YOUR SELF, JUST MORE FUN AND MANY MORE VARIATIONS.

Re: What is with half breed status on AR 15s? [Re: OFBHWG] #348860 04/25/08 12:39 PM
duck & cover
duck & cover
While I fully understand the shoulder issues after so many years of playing and coaching, the compensator would be beyond our capabilities at this time. I don't have a lathe, and although it can be done with a mill, press or even by hand, I would be afraid of it. (In my best Clint...."A man has to know his limitations...")

I've got a guy that I would suggest, in Colorado, but he is high, slow, and always behind...( as some say about me, but at least we are not high)

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide