Print Thread
Fearful of snakes #3204302 05/04/12 11:08 PM
Q
quackcommander Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Q
Tomorrow im going to be taking my pup out the lease to do a little live bird training. He is only 5 months and i fear that snakes are already out. What do/have done yall with the pup when you go out. i do plan on keeping the 30' line on him. what are things to look for anything would help. im just fearful if i let him run free a bit he may not come back or get bit.

Trauma Kits - Medical Training - 2A Gear LSSTACTICAL.COM
Re: Fearful of snakes [Re: quackcommander] #3204419 05/05/12 12:39 AM
T
tim_2251 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Yea I took mine out to the lake for the water and to get use to the boat and was worried about snakes , but it wasn't a snake that got her it was a treble hook with bait some idiot left laying on the ground at the ramp, after an emergency vet trip and $600.00 later and to see the pain she was in I am on the lookout for hooks and snakes. You would think a person would know better than leave a hook laying on the ground .

Re: Fearful of snakes [Re: tim_2251] #3204431 05/05/12 12:49 AM
Q
quackcommander Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Q
Originally Posted By: tim_2251
Yea I took mine out to the lake for the water and to get use to the boat and was worried about snakes , but it wasn't a snake that got her it was a treble hook with bait some idiot left laying on the ground at the ramp, after an emergency vet trip and $600.00 later and to see the pain she was in I am on the lookout for hooks and snakes. You would think a person would know better than leave a hook laying on the ground .
Wow that sucks.. good to hear she is ok. i shouldnt have an issue with hooks at this place but i def will remeber when im out at the lake

Trauma Kits - Medical Training - 2A Gear LSSTACTICAL.COM
Re: Fearful of snakes [Re: quackcommander] #3204597 05/05/12 02:20 AM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Already?
They've been out. You need to get the vaccine and give that to your dog before before you risk it. Chances are in your favor of not getting bit, but I wouldn't chance it.
In 08' i went to Coleman on a dove hunt opening weekend, 104 degrees. I didn't know anything about the vaccine and figured it was too hot for snakes. I shot dove and had a good hunt. I go home after the morning hunt Sunday morning and they hunt the same place that evening. My buddy's dog gets bit in an area that my dog went at least a half dozen times. Luckily, she had the vaccine. She made it, but it wasn't pretty. I've got when to give the shot on every calendar, phone and computer I own. I won't hunt without it.

You'd be wise to get the shot before you go. Even if you have the vaccine, the pup is so young it might not do a lot of help.

Be aware and concerned, but don't let it stop you, as contradictory as that sounds. You should walk the areas you expect to train before you let the dog run, just to make sure.

Mud Shark

Re: Fearful of snakes [Re: Mud Shark] #3204633 05/05/12 02:41 AM
C
cc4500 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
yeah i took my 5 mo old to the ranch last week and we did some training and was watching for snakes. my vet stated he cannot get vaccine until 6 months old but i just tried to stay in open short grass areas. good luck and have fun training.

Re: Fearful of snakes [Re: cc4500] #3204695 05/05/12 03:12 AM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
http://www.redrockbiologics.com/rattlesnake_vaccine_faq.php#for_dogs
How safe is this vaccine? Are there any side effects?

Safety data for this vaccine is similar to the available safety data of other pet vaccines currently in use. The vaccine is licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture and is recommended by thousands of veterinarians nationwide. The vaccine is safe for use in pregnant and lactating dogs, puppies as young as four months
and healthy older dogs. Side effects reported by veterinarians have typically been few and mild. Less than one percent of vaccinations result in a mild swelling at the injection site. The swelling does not bother the dog (there is no itching or pain) and the swelling resolves without treatment in about three weeks. Occasionally, a veterinarian may drain fluid from the swelling or prescribe antibiotics to speed up healing. Rarely (less than one-tenth of one percent of vaccinations) dogs have experienced mild cases of vomiting, diarrhea or lethargy for one to two days after vaccination. Cases of life-threatening anaphylaxis (an acute, allergic reaction) are extremely rare with this vaccine. These are estimated to occur at between one and three cases per million doses of vaccine administered.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Fearful of snakes [Re: kindall] #3206596 05/06/12 04:33 AM
N
nice shot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
I did snake training this weekend with Haiden from Coastal Prarie Outfitters. . . seriously the best thing I could have done for my dogs (blood hound and GSP).

Go grab a training collar and put it on the dog with a very long lead. Get a live rattler, put it in a bird cage or any small enclosure that is well ventilated. Walk the dog past the snake, when the dog drops its head to sniff, hit it with full power on the training aide.

It took one shock from each dog and they were tested an hour later and then again today. . . .neither dog went near the snake. My BH barks when she comes up on it and my GSP sits next to me and pulls back on the leash.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide