Print Thread
Cold Storage in Deer Camp #3201740 05/03/12 08:51 PM
G
gogburn Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
G
Does anyone have any experience with a cold storage box in their deer camp?

We are thinking about building a 4'X8'X8' plywood box and double insulating it with the 4x8 styrofoam sheets of insulation. Two layers (about R-50) top, bottom and sides inside the box. Then add a 110v window a/c unit (5,000 BTU) through a cut out in the side.

We could hang up to 6 deer if we got lucky, more likely one or two.

We just need it to maintain 40 degrees or less, not looking for a freezer. It is an 1.5 hour round trip to the processor which makes for a late evening on a night kill. We just want a place for it to keep until we get a chance to go to the processor with a few more deer or hold it for the weekend until we can take the deer home and drop it off for processing.

Anyone have any experience with such a unit? Will it hold 40 degrees or below? Pictures? Thanks for your input.

Good Hunting,
Gary
Re: Cold Storage in Deer Camp [Re: gogburn] #3201767 05/03/12 09:05 PM
D
DiverTexas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
The window unit will not work, it has no low ambient capabilities. You will need a true refrigeration system to maintain the temp you are trying to achieve.

Re: Cold Storage in Deer Camp [Re: gogburn] #3201770 05/03/12 09:07 PM
S
scattergun Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Ever thought about quartering, ice, cooler for about 5 days and doing your own processing? I'ts not that hard and you get your own clean meat.

Re: Cold Storage in Deer Camp [Re: scattergun] #3201775 05/03/12 09:10 PM
N
newulmboy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: scattergun
Ever thought about quartering, ice, cooler for about 5 days and doing your own processing? I'ts not that hard and you get your own clean meat.

X2

Re: Cold Storage in Deer Camp [Re: newulmboy] #3201804 05/03/12 09:23 PM
B
big l Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
wouldnt what he's trying to do work for a temporary 3 or 4 day storage place to keep meat just cool and away from animals, is the 40 degree mark an absolute necessity...i guess im asking cause theres been talk around our lease about getting a small 10 x 8 demod out freezer unit (we have available)putting a window unit it in to keep meat cool from possibly friday evening till sunday morning on drive home_____Just Wondering???

Re: Cold Storage in Deer Camp [Re: big l] #3201869 05/03/12 09:50 PM
4K outdoors and taxidermy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
It will work with some modifications, go to a commercial refigeration supply place tell them what your wanting to do and they can hook you up with the proper thermostat. I have a converted storage building 8'x8' with this setup, it's cheaper to operate than my 6'x6' freezer and will hold the temp around 40 deg. pretty well.

Re: Cold Storage in Deer Camp [Re: big l] #3201875 05/03/12 09:52 PM
G
gogburn Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: newulmboy
Originally Posted By: scattergun

X2
Yes

Originally Posted By: big l
wouldnt what he's trying to do work for a temporary 3 or 4 day storage place to keep meat just cool and away from animals, is the 40 degree mark an absolute necessity...i guess im asking cause theres been talk around our lease about getting a small 10 x 8 demod out freezer unit (we have available)putting a window unit it in to keep meat cool from possibly friday evening till sunday morning on drive home_____Just Wondering???

40 degrees is pretty important...
Quote:
Bacteria won't multiply in the colder temperatures of a refrigerator or freezer, or at temperatures hotter than 141°F. Where they thrive is between 41°F and 140°F, a region known as the "Food Temperature Danger Zone."

Good Hunting,
Gary
Re: Cold Storage in Deer Camp [Re: 4K outdoors and taxidermy] #3201884 05/03/12 09:59 PM
G
gogburn Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: 4K outdoors and taxidermy
It will work with some modifications, go to a commercial refigeration supply place tell them what your wanting to do and they can hook you up with the proper thermostat. I have a converted storage building 8'x8' with this setup, it's cheaper to operate than my 6'x6' freezer and will hold the temp around 40 deg. pretty well.

Thanks 4K. Is this some kind of thermostat that you wire in to the window unit? Does the built-in thermostat shut the unit off prior to reaching 40 degrees? I know that I can get 40 degree air out of the A/C but I don't know that it will run at that ambient temperature. Got any pictures of your setup?

Good Hunting,
Gary
Re: Cold Storage in Deer Camp [Re: gogburn] #3201902 05/03/12 10:05 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Had friend who hunted N.Mex. Pulled 5x8 trailer with 2 old used refrigerators and generator. Little cost since he owned the trailer & generator. Used Generator for coffee pot, microwave, etc.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Cold Storage in Deer Camp [Re: gogburn] #3202144 05/04/12 12:43 AM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
Gary,
Window units will work fine if modified to keep the evaporator coil from freezing up by assuring that compressor cycle off before evaporator iceing occurs. I would go with a little larger unit (maybe 8-10,000 btu ) for safety to allow more compressor cutout time to defrost. I would also put the window unit on end of box, up high, for better distributions of cooling and airflow. Make sure you have slight tilt so condensate can drain outside.

You will need a accurate low temp digital thermostat with adjustable cutin, cutout, and differential setting. Below is one of the top line thermostats that also has some added features. There are other thermostats out there and it is a simple job to wire in to window unit. Shown below. You simply spice into the compressor power circuit and allow the thermostat to cycle compressor in and out. This Keeps the common evap/condenser fan motor running all the time, allowing evap to defrost when compressor is cut out. Also keep air cold air distrubuted in box.

You might also check some of the window unit marketed today for cheese and microbrewers boxes.
They are using digital low range thermostats and chill down to mid 30s
Good luck. Keep us posted. cheers up

Read the below to wire in.

Quote:
snip
The graph below shows how an operating control cycles. The control is set to start refrigeration if the box warms up to 40 ºF That's called the Cut In point. The system keeps running until it reaches the Cut Out point which is 37 ºF where it shuts off and awaits the next call for cooling. In this example there is a 3 ºF differential between the cut in and cut out points. The differential must be wide enough that the equipment does not short cycle. Short cycling means to turn on and off too rapidly. Starting is hard on the equipment, so you want to keep the number of starts per hour to a reasonable amount, not an excessive amount. The 40 ºF point is a very special temperature. It is the standard cut in point for most refrigeration systems. Above 40 ºF bacterial growth rates in stored food increase dramatically. Below 40 ºF bacteria growth rate is subdued.

The cut out point is more of a compromise than anything else. Some products may store better at colder temperatures but colder temperatures might adversely affect other products in the same box. There is also a concern about keeping the evaporator from icing up. There is no active defrost system in a standard refrigeration system. (defrost systems are only a standard item with freezers) If a refrigeration system was set to cut in at 36 ºF and cut out at 33 ºF and the evaporator was operating with a 7 ºF TD to the box air, the temperature of the evaporator fins would be 29 ºF to 26 ºF during the run cycle. Since the freezing point of water is 32 ºF, you can see that moisture in the air would sublimate onto the evaporator surface and grow into thicker and thicker layers of ice. Not only does ice act like an insulator and reduce thermal transfer, it can totally block airflow through the evaporator fins and virtually stop thermal transfer. Some people try to push this wall a little and it is possible to squeak out a degree or 2 colder than a 40 ºF cut in point. However, anything more than a couple of degrees will risk icing the evaporator.

A countering force is the "off cycle defrost" effect. Since a typical refrigerator is designed to maintain 40 ºF, the recirculating air will tend to melt ice build up on the evaporator during the times it has it has cycled off. There are of course refrigeration systems that are designed to operate in the 35 ºF (and colder) range. However these typically have some form of defrost system. Systems that are designed to operate below 32 ºF are freezers with defrost systems and they typically operate in temperature ranges like: 0 ºF, -10 ºF, -15 ºF as well as much colder.

http://www.refrigerationbasics.com/1024x768/controls1.htm

A Johnson Digital
Quote:

The A419 series controls are single-stage, electronic temperature controls with a Single-Pole, Double-Throw (SPDT) output relay. They feature a lockable front-panel touchpad for setup and adjustment, and a Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) for viewing the temperature and status of other functions. A Light-Emitting Diode (LED) indicates the controls? output relay On/Off status. The A419 controls are available in 24 VAC or 120/240 VAC powered models. The A419 controls have heating and cooling modes, adjustable setpoint and differential, an adjustable anti-short cycle delay, and a temperature offset function. The setpoint range is -30 to 212°F (-34 to 100°C). The controls feature remote sensing capability and interchangeable sensors. The A419 controls are available in either NEMA 1, high-impact plastic enclosure suitable for surface or DIN rail mounting or NEMA 4X watertight, corrosion-resistant surface-mount enclosures.
http://www.pexsupply.com/Johnson-Control...l-120-240v-SPDT

There is another thermo that is a little cheaper. I will find it. GL

Not digital but would work
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WHITERODGERS-Remote-Bulb-Thermostat-2E399

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Cold Storage in Deer Camp [Re: jeh7mmmag] #3202710 05/04/12 05:49 AM
H
Hideandseek Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
some brothers we hunted with years ago had one and they used the refrigeration part of a water cooler, worked really well.

Proud Dad of Lcpl Max
3rd LAR, USMC
Back on USA soil!
Re: Cold Storage in Deer Camp [Re: Hideandseek] #3202747 05/04/12 08:11 AM
G
gogburn Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
G
Great info jeh7mmmag! Thanks for taking the time to provide all the info.

Anybody actually got one up and running?

Good Hunting,
Gary
Re: Cold Storage in Deer Camp [Re: gogburn] #3202760 05/04/12 09:58 AM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
Some one on THF built one a couple of years ago??
I was thinking your box was 8x8x8 size, with 8-10,000 btu.

But I see it is 8x8x4
With a 8x8x4 a 5000 btu might do the job. Not much difference in cost of ac unit. If you have the electrical service capacity to run a 8-10,000 I would go 8-10K btu. Towel drying your game before you place in cooler will help cut down on iceing up. Good luck. Wished I could say I have built one but I haven't. Built a few 300 ton Ice Rink Chillers tho. Even a few cooling systems for the NASA shuttle post flight on tarmac.
http://www.apiheattransfer.com/

~ John Muir
Re: Cold Storage in Deer Camp [Re: jeh7mmmag] #3202970 05/04/12 01:13 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
Don't know whose off the shelf controller he is using but he sure jacked up the price. He just adapted the controller so you don't have to do any rewiring of the window unit.

Lot of good information on building units.

Coldbot controller
http://www.storeitcold.com/install.php

~ John Muir
Re: Cold Storage in Deer Camp [Re: jeh7mmmag] #3291430 06/13/12 02:33 PM
K
Kjw Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
K
Look at the coolbot controller it is made specially for converting window units into co storage units they can get a unit to around 33° WITHOUT freezing up

Re: Cold Storage in Deer Camp [Re: gogburn] #3291630 06/13/12 03:30 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: gogburn
Does anyone have any experience with a cold storage box in their deer camp?

We are thinking about building a 4'X8'X8' plywood box and double insulating it with the 4x8 styrofoam sheets of insulation. Two layers (about R-50) top, bottom and sides inside the box. Then add a 110v window a/c unit (5,000 BTU) through a cut out in the side.

We could hang up to 6 deer if we got lucky, more likely one or two.

We just need it to maintain 40 degrees or less, not looking for a freezer. It is an 1.5 hour round trip to the processor which makes for a late evening on a night kill. We just want a place for it to keep until we get a chance to go to the processor with a few more deer or hold it for the weekend until we can take the deer home and drop it off for processing.

Anyone have any experience with such a unit? Will it hold 40 degrees or below? Pictures? Thanks for your input.

A deep chest freezer works great. Just my opinion. I have used it for years and no problems. Ours is stored in a garage. If you have a place like that to put it in, they work great.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Cold Storage in Deer Camp [Re: Curtis] #3294099 06/14/12 03:52 PM
B
Bear Charge Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
If you have electricity, why not by a $15-20 dorm fridge on craigslist, quarter the deer and place it there until morning. With the price of lumber, it be cheaper.

"Democracy is a sheep and two lions voting. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide