Forums46
Topics539,450
Posts9,749,789
Members87,163
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: grout-scout] #2755570 11/15/11 09:51 PM
G
Gemlin Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: vanguard
think this one needs to be reported to tpwd.

Don't you have some +++++++P to be loading? whip

Could be he took his tripod home with him after the lil buck slaughter? Not sure, it just dissappeared!

Nice edit of your original post once you were called out for stealing someone elses hunting equipment.

Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: Gemlin] #2755678 11/15/11 10:18 PM
S
Stonewall Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Feeding year round is a GREAT idea if you can do it financially and logistically. We try to have corn out at our place year round and go from 3 seconds to 5 seconds during the season. We have a protein feeder that the deer haven't really seemed to interested in. I think the fenced pen is too small and will expand it this Spring. Its a benefit to us because we have quail turkey and hogs so we hunt year round when we can.
It's expensive, but its basically my only hobby and I like taking my kids out there and seeing my friends out there also.

Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: Gemlin] #2756556 11/16/11 02:24 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Gemlin
think this one needs to be reported to tpwd.

Don't you have some +++++++P to be loading? whip

Could be he took his tripod home with him after the lil buck slaughter? Not sure, it just dissappeared!

Nice edit of your original post once you were called out for stealing someone elses hunting equipment.

No son you just can't read that well or spell. I edited it because I hit the wrong letter causing a spelling mistake which I fixed so I wouldn't look like an idiot who can't spell. Again you are assuming I stole it, you know what happens when you assume? You make an azz of you and me, but mostly YOU. I can absolutely promise you my hands never touched his tripod, but somebody elses must have confused2. What is it so hard to understand that? It was there and the next day it was gone bang.
hammer Ooops I had to edit this one too!

If it makes you feel any better since your so worried about it heres what happened. Our block of ranches 5,000 acres is in a subdivision. Which is broke down to sizes between 160-700 acre tracts. We have rules and regulations that are set up for ALL landowners. One of them is that no blinds or feeders are allowed within 150 feet of the property lines. This fellas was a whopping 15 feet and therefore after turning in the illegal tripod it was confiscated. Make you feel any better? Ahh I don't really care what you think.

Last edited by grout-scout; 11/16/11 02:52 AM.
Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: grout-scout] #2756887 11/16/11 03:35 AM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
confiscated huh, not possible without a court order, so your saying the ranch association stole it.

Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: vanguard] #2756947 11/16/11 03:46 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
confiscated huh, not possible without a court order, so your saying the ranch association stole it.

Nope, against rules and regulations. No court order needed but all I know is someone (not me, I never touched it) took it. Guess what? His new stand is where it belongs, off the fence line. Just gotta follow the rules and regulations fellas. If you speed, you get a ticket. If you put your blinds & feeders in a regulated subdivision then they will get confiscated, it's all in the bylaws. trout

back

Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: grout-scout] #2756963 11/16/11 03:50 AM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
rules are not law, theres procedures, even the police cant confiscate property like that.

Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: grout-scout] #2757118 11/16/11 04:41 AM
J
jgedmond Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
This entire post was a waste of bandwidth, some people apparently have nothing better to do. Stop feeding the troll!

Jim

NRA, TSRA, SAF Life Member, PSC Shooting Club
Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: grout-scout] #2757482 11/16/11 01:19 PM
G
Gemlin Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
G

Nope, against rules and regulations. No court order needed but all I know is someone (not me, I never touched it) took it. Guess what? His new stand is where it belongs, off the fence line. Just gotta follow the rules and regulations fellas. If you speed, you get a ticket. If you put your blinds & feeders in a regulated subdivision then they will get confiscated, it's all in the bylaws. trout

back

Its not agaist the law for the man to put his stand on his side of the fence, even if its 1 foot.

It is against the law for you to go steal it. Did I meantion I hate thieves?

Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2757535 11/16/11 01:35 PM
T
TX4Ever Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I know your frusterated but the deer he kills are on his land stooting from his stand under his feeder...there is nothing you can do

Medically Retired Staff Sergeant/USAF/'06-'12/Deployment- FOB Mahmudiyah, Iraq Oct'08-Jan'10
Dallas PD Sep'13-Present
Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: TX4Ever] #2757624 11/16/11 02:01 PM
B
brooks23 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Goodness u guys are full grown men arguing like high school girls. I just started to feed year around I feed record rack protien late Feb through Sept. And corn all year around. It seems to increase the wildlife activity a lot out here. All kinds of animals deer,turkey, pigs,red foxes,bobcat, big foot.....lol. we thought all we had were deer

Last edited by brooks23; 11/16/11 02:01 PM.
Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: brooks23] #2757631 11/16/11 02:04 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: brooks23
Goodness u guys are full grown men arguing like high school girls. I just started to feed year around I feed record rack protien late Feb through Sept. And corn all year around. It seems to increase the wildlife activity a lot out here. All kinds of animals deer,turkey, pigs,red foxes,bobcat, big foot.....lol. we thought all we had were deer

up

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: Seadog] #2758118 11/16/11 04:14 PM
C
crouch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Thats pretty much all you get on here, a bunch of grown men arguing over stupid crap. At first I thought this was a pretty neat forum, but nearly all the threads turn into an argument or someone bashing someone else.

Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2758153 11/16/11 04:26 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Feeding year around is a great thing but dosnt have to be all protein....protein needs to be fed starting in the spring and stoped right when they shed velvet...anyother time its just another food source...things like food plots can be a great thing to help feed a large number of deer during the spring and winter....also controled burns are a very low cost tool to keep deer browse at a maximum...if your set up to burn that is...keeping as many accorn or other mass producing trees as possible can help with the feed bill as well

Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: stxranchman] #2758163 11/16/11 04:30 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
You do not want to hunt over protein feeders. Let them eat freely when they want to on protein 24/7. Hunting pressure will move them or make them feed at night at the least.

^^^^this x100 keep plenty if not all protein feeders in areas with little pressure....this is the key to gettin those mature deer to come to protein

Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: crouch] #2758165 11/16/11 04:30 PM
B
brooks23 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I know right I'm 23 a rookie hunter. I came on here for advice and barely get it instead stuck up hunters just dogging people or down talking to me cus apparently I ask stupid questions. ..Rookie hunter.. but very rarely do I get great advice from very nice people. Just weave through all the cry babys and show boaters and know it Alls. And it still a great forum

Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: brooks23] #2758254 11/16/11 04:53 PM
T
TX4Ever Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
If i could afford it i would feed year around also...also where i hunt if it was legal to feed i would but we have to hunt the old fashion way to find tracks and trails from bedding to small grass and acorns the deer are eating at the time if there is any due to the drought and hunt the trailes.

Medically Retired Staff Sergeant/USAF/'06-'12/Deployment- FOB Mahmudiyah, Iraq Oct'08-Jan'10
Dallas PD Sep'13-Present
Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: TX4Ever] #2758329 11/16/11 05:12 PM
C
Chad Hill Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Thanks to all that responded. It looks like we will look into feeding maybe year round for next year. I can see where it would get expensive though.

Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: Chad Hill] #2758462 11/16/11 05:49 PM
R
RDNCK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I hunt on a small 100 acre tract and feed year round. My neighbor does not. He benefits from me doing this but doesn't bother me at all. I know that with the size of my lease that there aren't any deer that just stay on my lease. By feeding year round, however, it still benefits me a great deal cause the deer traffic has really increased each year. It does tend to get expensive but if you can afford it, I highly recommend doing it. You will see better results regardless of what your neighbors are doing.

Last edited by Bigbuck95; 11/16/11 05:56 PM. Reason: acres was wrong...typo
Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: RDNCK] #2758481 11/16/11 05:52 PM
R
RDNCK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I meant to say 100 acre tract...lol

Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: RDNCK] #2758520 11/16/11 06:04 PM
T
TX4Ever Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Bigbuck95
I hunt on a small 100 acre tract and feed year round. My neighbor does not. He benefits from me doing this but doesn't bother me at all. I know that with the size of my lease that there aren't any deer that just stay on my lease. By feeding year round, however, it still benefits me a great deal cause the deer traffic has really increased each year. It does tend to get expensive but if you can afford it, I highly recommend doing it. You will see better results regardless of what your neighbors are doing.

Thats do you do to feed year around? corn? protien? food plots? How much of your land is wooded? any water sources? Just wondering my parents land is 64 acres and im thinking of doing the same thing feeding year around

Dallas PD Sep'13-Present
Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: TX4Ever] #2758592 11/16/11 06:30 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: 4EverFirearms
Originally Posted By: Bigbuck95

Thats do you do to feed year around? corn? protien? food plots? How much of your land is wooded? any water sources? Just wondering my parents land is 64 acres and im thinking of doing the same thing feeding year around

Set one or two protein feeders on your place and keep them goin from spring to fall...planting a good food plot if possible can make up alot of ground during the winter...check the mineral levels in your area and if its low set up a mineral spot somewere...theres alot of things you can do...your never gona truely manage the whole herd on 64 acres but you can help greatly...i do what i can with my 40 acre place...keepin the deer fed will help you the most and one of the big things that help my place is i only bow hunt it..you will be amazed how many deer will move onto your place durring rifle season if you keep stress levels low

Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: TX4Ever] #2758619 11/16/11 06:40 PM
R
RDNCK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I feed corn year round. I have just started mixing 50/50 with the Purina Wildlife Corn Replacer and do this for a year. Will see how this works. 85% of this is heavily wooded with the river (dry right now) at the back of property. I have one pond in front part of the lease that still has quite a bit of water in it.

Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2758652 11/16/11 06:52 PM
jwh Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Chad, We feed year round on 2000 acres with 6 protien feeders, 1000 lbs each and it cost about $200.00 a month for each feeder. we hunt in Menard, and the feed store fills ours up every month. PM me if you need some info on where we get the feed from.

Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: Gemlin] #2758769 11/16/11 07:30 PM
B
Bwana83 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: Gemlin

Check Texas State laws. Unless is has changed recently, It is absolutely illegal to put your stand on a fence line if it appears that you are hunting the fence line or your neighbors property. And in fact it can and will be confiscated by your game warden and the owner can and will be written a citation. All you have to do is make a phone call to your local authorities.
back

Its not agaist the law for the man to put his stand on his side of the fence, even if its 1 foot.

It is against the law for you to go steal it. Did I meantion I hate thieves?

A mature buck might be a deer, but you can bet it's a totally different animal
Re: Question about feeding year round for the deer? [Re: Bwana83] #2759398 11/16/11 10:25 PM
B
buck-snort Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I feed year around. Here is how I do it. I use an 800 lb timed Lamco protein feeder. I can mix whatever I want in this feeder. Right now I am running a 50/50 corn & protein mix. For me it came down to what I can afford. I cannot afford to feed free choice protein all year so I went the route of timed feedings to attract exotics such as Axis, Sika, and simply keep the deer around. If you are simply trying to attract deer vs. grow your deer this can be an option. It takes me 16 bags to fill this feeder (approx. $210) and I can stretch it 12-15 weeks to cut down my trips to the lease if needed. Listed below is a pic of my setup.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide