Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- #2158938 03/04/11 01:43 AM
K
Koenig Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Over the past two days I have called various scope manufactures telling them I damaged their product by running it over with a 4wheeler. I know this is extreme and totally understand if a manufacture won’t cover that kind of abuse. That being said most manufactures o have a lifetime warranty that do not cover abuse but most of the time “abuse” can mean different things to different people. This review is my opinion from the phone conversations.

Warranty Rating - Most of these manufactures cover defective parts and workmanship for the life of the product. In that case I gave them a C for being average. If I felt they went just above and beyond the average C rating I gave them a B. Just the opposite gets a D. An A is no questions asked we will fix it.

Get a hold of someone rating – This was how hard it was to actually get someone on the phone. From how easily the number could be found on their website to how many automated menus you have to go thru to talk to an actual person.

Customer service – This was the attitude of the person on the phone. How helpful and kind they were to sympathize with my “c” shaped smashed scope.

Will they fix a ran over scope – Well that’s pretty self explanatory.

Burris
Warranty Rating - B
Get a hold of someone rating - D
Customer service - B
Will they fix a ran over scope - NO

I own several Burris scopes. I have always been satisfied with the clarity of the optics and the reasonable price. Calling them is like calling a robot though; you will go through several menus to get to an area that gives you an address to ship your scope. I simply pressed “0” there and got someone on the phone. The customer rep told me that Burris warranty covers inside of the tube for a lifetime but if the tube is destroyed they can not fix it under warranty. I even asked him what if the back or front eyepiece is shattered and that was still covered. However they do offer a 35% discount off retail if your product is damages beyond repair.

Bushnell
Warranty Rating - D
Get a hold of someone rating - B
Customer service - A

You have to go 3 automated menus to get a hold of someone. But when I did get one she was extremely helpful and nice. However they will not fix a scope ran over by a 4wheeler, they will offer a 30%-40% off retail on its replacement. Where warranty offers only offers protection materials and defects. The reason I gave them a D on warranty is because although the rep was nice she really couldn’t explain the warranty coverage to me basically it sounds like you put your scope in a box, ship it and roll the dice.

Meopta
Warranty Rating - C
Get a hold of someone rating - A
Customer service - A
Will they fix a ran over scope – NO

No automated menus here. The staff was very attentive and apologetic (weird seeing how I broke this imaginary scope) anyway there warranty does not cover abuse. So it gets the normal score of C. Where warranty offers only offers protection materials and defects for the life of the scope.

NcStar
Warranty Rating - A
Customer service - A
Will they fix a ran over scope – Yes

Ok this was a shocker. Ill admit I own one but have no clue where it is, and honestly I probably would never put one on a hunting rifle. But they do stand behind there product. No waiting or automated menus. I strait out told him I crushed it with a 4wheeler and his response was “well these things happen we had one shipped in that was in a house fire and we sent him a new one, so send it in if we cant fix it we will send you a new one and the turn around is 24hrs” WOW! wasn’t expecting that.

Nikon
Warranty Rating - D
Get a hold of someone rating - D
Customer service - F

I have always herd they had bad service but trust me they do. I talked to a rep named Mike after numinous menus and I am pretty sure his name was not Mike and was Hapoo or Muhammad and was not with in these borders. But he refused to talk to me about warranty basically ship it in and roll the dice. I own Nikons and like there product, however if one broke id probably throw it away and buy something else and not deal with that BS again.

Pentax
Warranty Rating - A-
Customer service - A

I have never owned or looked through a Pentax but ill probably own in the future due to their product service. I went through 1 automated menu. The rep was extremely nice and helpful and told me about their no fault warranty. There warranty is not transferable but runs on the honor system. I told him it was my dads scope and I ran over and he agreed to fix or replace it. You do however have to send a check for $19.95 (I didn’t ask why) and turn around is 4-6 weeks. I gave them an A- because of the $19.95 thing but that wouldn’t be a big deal to me.

Vortex
Warranty Rating - A
Customer service - A

These guys stand behind there product no matter what happens to them. No automated menus, customer service was superb. I told them I ran it over with a 4wheeler and no problem they will fix it. I am very impressed. I don’t own a Vortex and never looked through one as of today but I can tell you their warranty and customer service is top notch.

Leatherwood
Warranty Rating - D
Customer service - C
Will they fix a ran over scope – No

The typical as other warranties but the cost to repair a scope that was owners fault cost $100 an hour. No automated menu and the rep was nice but kind of short.

Leupold & Redfield
Warranty Rating - B
Get a hold of someone rating - C
Customer service - C
Will they fix a ran over scope – No

I always thought Leupold had the best warranty in the business. Well I was wrong. There was 1 automated menu that led me to a place I had to wait 5 min to talk to someone. After I reached someone I told them about my scope being ran over…ect The rep said they could fix it but I would have to pay for the cost of the repair. His exact words were “we are not gonna fix your scope for free if you run it over with a vehicle” and honestly I understand. I did give them a B because there warranty reputation but honestly I now believe their warranty is no better than others listed.

Zeiss
Warranty Rating - NA
Get a hold of someone rating - F
Customer service - F
Will they fix a ran over scope – NA

I called was on hold for a long time…..Finally got to a pace that was automated to leave a message and I was supposed to me called back within the hour according to the automated message. Still no response as of 30 hours later.

Trijicon
Warranty Rating - C
Customer service - B

One menu to go through. Warranty will not cover a damaged tube. However they were helpful on the phone

Tasco (same as Bushnell)
Warranty Rating - D
Customer service - A

You have to go 3 automated menus to get a hold of someone. But when I did get one she was extremely helpful and nice. However they will not fix a scope ran over by a 4wheeler, they will offer a 30%-40% off retail on its replacement. Where warranty offers only offers protection materials and defects. The reason I gave them a D on warranty is because although the rep was nice she really couldn’t explain the warranty coverage to me basically it sounds like you put your scope in a box, ship it and roll the dice.

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
never trust a man that rents pigs....
Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: Koenig] #2158977 03/04/11 01:54 AM
Payne Offline
Cat Herder
Cat Herder
Great write up!!

[Linked Image]
Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: Koenig] #2158978 03/04/11 01:55 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Great job! Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Hope none of my Nikons need fixin! But hey......I have heard about their great customer service for years! rofl

Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: JCB] #2158994 03/04/11 02:00 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Where's Swarovski? That is the one I was most curious about?

Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: BMD] #2159001 03/04/11 02:01 AM
K
Koenig Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: BMD
Where's Swarovski? That is the one I was most curious about?

See if you can find their number i couldn't find it on their site.

Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: Koenig] #2159011 03/04/11 02:04 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
I will look on some of my stuff I called them on binocs for a friend they said no problem 15x56 slc's and the fixed em no issues let me see what I got.

Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: BMD] #2159018 03/04/11 02:06 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Swarovski Optik 800-426-3089

Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: BMD] #2159020 03/04/11 02:06 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
If I called everyone would expect a bias report grin

Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: BMD] #2159021 03/04/11 02:07 AM
K
Koenig Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
ok ill call them tomorrow and add input. Ill prob try zeiss again too.

Last edited by Koenig; 03/04/11 02:08 AM.

Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: Koenig] #2159024 03/04/11 02:08 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Only issue will be they will ask for serial number, but maybe they will answer the basics, I hope

Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: BMD] #2159036 03/04/11 02:13 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Thanks for the report and taking the time to do it. I think I need to find a Vortex dealer to look at their products

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: kmon11] #2159044 03/04/11 02:15 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Thanks for the report and taking the time to do it. I think I need to find a Vortex dealer to look at their products

www.camerlandny.com

And is you need to handle one in person call bobo grin

Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: kmon11] #2159054 03/04/11 02:18 AM
R
Rowney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Nikon upsets me, because I think they have great glass. But I think you are better with a smaller company than the big ones on damage like that. The small guys need the repeat business, and fixing something like that is good publicity.

Nikon and Leupold dont need any help selling their products, so I guess thats to be expected on at fault damage.

As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks--Thomas Jefferson
Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: BMD] #2159062 03/04/11 02:19 AM
R
Rowney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: BMD
Originally Posted By: kmon1

www.camerlandny.com

And is you need to handle one in person call bobo grin

Those guys are top notch. My Steiner Predators came with a free pair of 8x22's and a t shirt. All for 100 bucks less than anywhere else.

As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks--Thomas Jefferson
Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: Rowney] #2159125 03/04/11 02:36 AM
T
Tactical_Smurf Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I can't belive you had problems form Nikkon, WE have had 7-10 scopes replaced in the time I have delt with them. The worst was a rifle dropped from a ladderstand. The only thing is we had to pay return shipping.

VORTEX is awesome. We talked with them at SHOT and I was a little concerned with being manufactured where they where and how they held up. One of there head sales guys flat out said as long as you can send in pieces that remotely resemble the product we will replace it. Looks like he was not joking.

Certified Glock Armorer - Because my Sig Sauers Don't Fail.
"We are prepared to give all of our Tomorrows, for a single child's Today" - Kidnap Rescue Operator
Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: Tactical_Smurf] #2159145 03/04/11 02:41 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Where is Vortex made?

Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: JCB] #2159186 03/04/11 02:51 AM
S
smokingquack Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Vortex, Vortex, Vortex!!!

Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: JCB] #2159197 03/04/11 02:55 AM
Payne Offline
Cat Herder
Cat Herder
Mueller 1-989-705-8885

Weaver 1-800-635-7656

[Linked Image]
Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: Payne] #2159210 03/04/11 03:00 AM
E
exoticbob Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
i like the vortex report - that goes a long way in my book. i just got a minox. could you call them as well? thx

MINOX USA Inc.
Meriden, New Hampshire 03770

Tel. 866-469-3080

Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: JCB] #2159224 03/04/11 03:06 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

depends on product

Originally Posted By: JCB
Where is Vortex made?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: BOBO the Clown] #2159234 03/04/11 03:09 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Bobo, where are the different Vortex models made?

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: Koenig] #2159296 03/04/11 03:30 AM
P
PhilR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Originally Posted By: Koenig
ok ill call them tomorrow and add input. Ill prob try zeiss again too.

I wouldn't call Zeiss again, they had their chance and you graded them properly.

They failed in a big way it looks like. Obviously they could care less.

Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: PhilR] #2159332 03/04/11 03:41 AM
K
kyle1974 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
K
why does zeiss need a customer service agent? their stuff doesn't break like NC star on a daily basis!

LOL

Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: kyle1974] #2159360 03/04/11 03:47 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I have a Ziess that has a speck of dirt or something on one of the internal lens. I had thought about shiping it back to them and making them fix but it looks like they dont have a customer service department so I guess I am screwed! rofl

Re: Scope manufactures warranty review -OFFICIAL- [Re: JCB] #2159378 03/04/11 03:49 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
I will get it fixed for you JCB smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide