Print Thread
Cross Trail Outfitters Youth Hog Hunt #2079354 02/01/11 08:44 PM
B
Bobby B Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
To start, CTO is a Christian Youth organization that takes boys hunting and fishing to teach them about the outdoors and preserve our heritage while tying it all in with the teachings in the Bible.

Back in September, Jay Hutto had asked Zach and myself if we would help him with a CTO hunt and we said sure. That hunt was this past Friday and Saturday nights on a ranch North of Harper.

Seven boys ages 10 thru 15 and 3 adult Outfitters, Jay and his son Caleb, Myself and Zachary, landowner Jaimie and his boy Derringer. After a circle meeting explaining the rules and saying a prayer, we headed out.

I had Blade, Petra and Girl. Jay had his old Dan dog, Jr, Redman, Sandy, Sam and Bo the catch dog. The dogs got busy quick and had a smallish boar , maybe 90 lbs in not time. There was an order the boys were in to stick a hog and the first up got it done neat and quick. After pics and gutting, we headed to a water trough and before we got there, Blade had rolled out on his own . I was keeping up with him on the Garmin and when we were ready to move on , I told Jay that Blade was Bayed. We got as close as we could and got some help to him. Zach, myself and one of the outfitters , Kevin got to the dogs and it was another smaller boar that Zach kept under a knee til the kids got there about 10 minutes later. They finally made it and that boar was knifed by a boy who's birthday was Friday.

We rolled on after more pics and gutting and pretty quick, Blade and Redman had another going. This was a little fat sow and the 3rd boy was in and out and we were 3 for 3 early on.

Not much later Jr, Redman and Blade started another and the rest of the dogs got there and got him stopped. We got there to find the fight on in a shin oak thicket and it was a spotted boar with good cutters pushing 200 lbs. Zach got a leg with Caleb helping and when the outfitters called up the next kid in line, he had to pass. Too much hog for a little feller I guess and they called up the next one and got the same response.

That left the biggest boy in the group, Colton who was hanging back letting the others get one because he is coming back in a few weeks with his Dad and brother who is shipping out soon. But when the first 2 declined, he stepped thru and got 'er done in short order. It was Colton's first hog in any fashion.

The only thing that went wrong was Girl had her left shoulder laid open . She was the only dog hurt.

We got him to the truck ( cool thing was, the boys had to get all hogs to the truck ) and headed to the camphouse . After more pics and stapling up Girl, Zach and I headed to Hondo and got to bed about 5 that morning.

Saturday's plan called for an earlier start with daylight so they could shoot some video. We had left Girl home and brought Zach's 9 month old Cat, Diesel for his first hunt ( he has been on hogs here at the house ). We turned out, went about 300 yards at a dirt tank and all the dogs git busy. It was beautiful to watch those dogs fan out and cover ground til they lined out and Diesel was right in the mix. They hit a hog hole under the fence and were gone like a shot. Within seconds, it was on and we knew this was not a pig. CDs were grabbed and put over the fence and uphill we went.

Another shin oak thicket and a big black boar was wreaking havoc. It was tight , but Zach and Caleb were finally able to get behind him and grabbed his legs, then Jay grabbed a front leg and they got him flipped. The kid did himself proud and stood in there and got it done.

When it was over, Jay yells " Bobby one of your pups is cut ! " Diesel had blood literally pouring from his face. When we got to him and wiped it away best we could, he had been cut across the bridge of his nose and it was bleeding like a razor cut. He had also been raked up a front leg and across his chest. Petr had her left thigh laid open about 5", Blade was poked under his chin just above his cut collar, Sandy had a tooth go thru the skin under her neck and came out the other side, Sam was cut as was Dan. The only dogs not cut were Redman, Jr and the CD, Bo.

We got loaded and went to the camphouse, tended dogs, took pics and headed out to see if we could get the last 2 boys a pig.

I'm down to just Blade and he's getting tired as are all of 'em. Jay's dogs were not bad, but we left Petra and Diesel in my box.

We went to the opposite side of the ranch and Blade rolled out and started another. This one is headed right to us and Jay stopped in the hog hole in the fence and we saw the hogs in the lights going up the fence and back into the woods. A short circle and they caught w little spotted boar and one of the boys that backed away from the big boar the night before redeemed himself.

They headed for the truck and after they got far enough away I could hear, I heard Blade bayed again , I looked and he was just over a hill about 150 yards. We went in and it was another littler shoat and that last kid got his pig.

It worked out great, to little shoats for the 2 smallest boys in the group.

We made the rest of the round and called it a night at 10:30 and went to camp.

More pics, staples for Petra, double checking Diesel and the rest and Zach and I headed home.

Two nights, seven boys and seven hogs, including 2 good boars. No dogs killed, I have to wonder if that prayer at the start asking for protection for all and a successful hunt wasnt answered.

Me and photobucket are going round and round, so I am posting the 2 big boars . We guessed the spotted boar at pushing 200 and the black boar weighed 187 dressed, so we gave him 250 mas or manus.

Colton and his boar

I'm sorry I dont remember this kid's name, but here he is with his boar, the dog wrecker and Petra, who hammed it up for the camera all weekend.

" If you can't have no fun, it ain't no use a'goin' ! " - old man in a Sweetwater , TX cafe

Re: Cross Trail Outfitters Youth Hog Hunt [Re: Bobby B] #2079582 02/01/11 09:39 PM
B
Bobby B Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Finally got some more pics uploaded

In order they were taken

Friday night

Saturday night

" If you can't have no fun, it ain't no use a'goin' ! " - old man in a Sweetwater , TX cafe

Re: Cross Trail Outfitters Youth Hog Hunt [Re: Bobby B] #2079780 02/01/11 10:37 PM
F
firehog261 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Awesome!! Looks like the kids had a blast. Thats all that matters!

Re: Cross Trail Outfitters Youth Hog Hunt [Re: firehog261] #2079917 02/01/11 11:11 PM
B
BUDH Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I've never hunted hogs with dogs, but it looks like lots of fun. I'm sure it comes with the territory, but wouldn't some chest protection have helped a few of the dogs?

Re: Cross Trail Outfitters Youth Hog Hunt [Re: BUDH] #2083597 02/02/11 11:23 PM
B
Bobby B Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: BUDH
I've never hunted hogs with dogs, but it looks like lots of fun. I'm sure it comes with the territory, but wouldn't some chest protection have helped a few of the dogs?

Honestly, in this case, they wouldnt have helped at all. All the cuts were outside the protected areas of a bay vest.

Re: Cross Trail Outfitters Youth Hog Hunt [Re: Bobby B] #2083835 02/03/11 12:29 AM
T
The Boar Buster Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Now those kids have a real story to tell up

Re: Cross Trail Outfitters Youth Hog Hunt [Re: Bobby B] #2083915 02/03/11 12:45 AM
M
MIGUEL Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Not trying to stir the pot but I have personally hunted with dogs and stuck a few pigs, BUT a couple of those kids look a little young to be experiencing the raw ordeal of that style hunting. I know there will be a lot of tough guy ego talk after this post, but the last 2 pictures the boys look unsure or even scared. Not picking on the boys but at a young age that type of screaming and stabbing are a little raw, and they may agree with everyone else that it was fun and cool when the crowd is standing around, but when that little mind gets to rolling right before they fall asleep in bed what do you think they are really thinking? Not knocking what yall are doing for the kiddos but maybe an age limit on the sticking and let the younger ones shoot em at a feeder or something. Maybe Im all wrong but they say pictures speak a thousand words!

Re: Cross Trail Outfitters Youth Hog Hunt [Re: MIGUEL] #2083998 02/03/11 01:08 AM
B
Blakevc27 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Ok so the dogs stop the pigs, man holds them down, kid stabs them?

blakevc@hotmail.com
Re: Cross Trail Outfitters Youth Hog Hunt [Re: Blakevc27] #2086829 02/03/11 09:37 PM
B
BUDH Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: Blakevc27
Ok so the dogs stop the pigs, man holds them down, kid stabs them?

that's how it's done.

Re: Cross Trail Outfitters Youth Hog Hunt [Re: BUDH] #2086901 02/03/11 10:03 PM
B
Blakevc27 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Hmmmm

blakevc@hotmail.com
Re: Cross Trail Outfitters Youth Hog Hunt [Re: MIGUEL] #2087371 02/04/11 12:39 AM
B
Bobby B Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: MIGUEL
Not trying to stir the pot but I have personally hunted with dogs and stuck a few pigs, BUT a couple of those kids look a little young to be experiencing the raw ordeal of that style hunting. I know there will be a lot of tough guy ego talk after this post, but the last 2 pictures the boys look unsure or even scared. Not picking on the boys but at a young age that type of screaming and stabbing are a little raw, and they may agree with everyone else that it was fun and cool when the crowd is standing around, but when that little mind gets to rolling right before they fall asleep in bed what do you think they are really thinking? Not knocking what yall are doing for the kiddos but maybe an age limit on the sticking and let the younger ones shoot em at a feeder or something. Maybe Im all wrong but they say pictures speak a thousand words!

I didnt set this up. The three adult outfitters ( as the mentors are called ) were from 3 different towns and each brought some boys and lined it up with my friend who made arrangements for the ranch to be hunted.

Zach and myself were asked to bring some dogs and help with the hunt.

My pics are not the best because I was more to one side while the group members were taking pics. I have seen some of the boys you mention and they are much better.

There were 2 that declined to knife the spotted boar and honestly I imagine some grown men would as well.

But when a smaller hog was offered, they were fine with it as far as I could tell. I dont believe they were scared, but I would imagine they were unsure because there was about 5-6 cameras going off at the same time and the outfitters were telling them do this and do that, look this way and look over there.

Re: Cross Trail Outfitters Youth Hog Hunt [Re: Bobby B] #2088127 02/04/11 04:23 AM
J
jeffery Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
jealous.......... o well, i wanna b there when they tell there friends what they did coolpics

psalms 62/2 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress,i will never be shaken.

Re: Cross Trail Outfitters Youth Hog Hunt [Re: jeffery] #2088581 02/04/11 12:38 PM
E
East texas deer hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Good for the kids congrats

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide