Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: East Tx deer [Re: Ray Ray] #1966740 12/31/10 12:12 AM
B
billy gordon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Ray Ray
I live in SE Texas and hunt in SE Texas, IMO the problem with hunting here is its hard if you want big deer! Not because they are not here, because its hard to get where they are at, plus the deer are hard to see because of the brush. Most of the most hunters that I know that are use to hunting west of Houston(central texas)come to east texas and complain about not seeing deer like they see out west. And the size of the deer depends on what it has to eat and the various minerals the area has to offer. Some east texas buck sport large bodies and racks, go 50-60 miles away and they could be much smaller or larger. But for me the bottom line is I dont pay huge lease fees, I can be on my lease within an hour, I don't spend $150 in gas for a weekend deer hunt and I can hunt the lease I pay for every day that I'm off work if I want too and not spend a lot of money on gas or spend 5-6 hours just driving to the lease. But to each their own! I still get to hunt and eat venison every year, with our so called small deer.
Thats hitting the nail on the head.I also hunt east texas and 8 miles from the house and hunt when i want and get to eat vension. up

Billy Gordon
Re: East Tx deer [Re: Brother in-law] #1967487 12/31/10 04:04 AM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I have a leases in Sterling County (West Texas) and Baylor County (North Central Texas), and I live and own land in Gregg County (East Texas).

From what I have seen, the West Texas style of hunting is to sit in a box blind, wait for the feeder to go off, and then wait for the deer to appear like cattle to the feeder and then you decide which one you want to shoot.

In Baylor County, it is all about the wheat fields - those fields put on a show for you. I have sat in my box blind and watched multiple herds of deer, turkeys, coyotes, hogs, and even a bobcat in the field all at the same time. It is crazy. You need to be prepared for long shots.

In Gregg County, it is all about being ready to put countless hours into scouting, planting food plots, and then sitting for hours in a tree (I like to bow hunt) for a shot at a deer traveling from a feeding area to a bedding area. Feeders work here, but they are not as effective as other parts of the state. This is tough hunting, but very rewarding. The deer in East Texas are every bit as big as West Texas, but they are just really hard to get a shot on during legal hunting hours.

West Texas is good for those hunters who come in for a weekend to hunt and want a guaranteed shot at a deer. East Texas is best suited for those of us who live where we hunt and can invest the time and energy into several hunts in a row without seeing anything.

It's all good - just different.

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Re: East Tx deer [Re: millerliteliker] #1972374 01/02/11 08:40 AM
A
aaronintyler Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
Anderson County deer...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide